High blood pressure can be very dangerous and even fatal if left unmonitored and untreated. This is why every home needs an accurate blood pressure monitor, especially for people with health conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, those who have suffered strokes or heart attacks.
The easiest way to keep track of your blood pressure levels and monitor your condition over time is to get a good quality wrist blood pressure cuff.
Wrist cuffs are small, portable, and don’t require that you take off your clothing or pump the cuff manually.
Also, they are irreplaceable for those of you who suffer from the so-called white coat syndrome, which causes your blood pressure to surge as soon as you enter your doctor’s office due to anxiety and other psychological factors. With an accurate wrist monitor, you can check your actual blood pressure level in the comfort of your own home without being stressed out or otherwise worried.
Plus, a wrist blood pressure cuff is the best alternative to an upper arm blood pressure monitor if you have larger upper arms and find the use of upper arm cuffs too painful.
Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor
We have picked the top 10 wrist blood pressure monitors, which we found and tested, and which we asked several cardiologists and other medical experts about.
So, go ahead and read our brief overviews of the top 10 wrist blood pressure monitors for 2021 so that you can choose the one which will fit your needs.
All of our favorites are very easy to use, easy to read, and are as accurate as regular upper arm blood pressure monitors, so just pick one and rest assured that you will be able to keep track of how your blood pressure is without the need of visiting your doctor day in and day out.
The HEM-6131 measures blood pressure via a highly accurate oscillometric method. It is completely automatic, so you won’t have to set up or press anything if you want to check out how you are doing.
All you need to do is place the monitor on your wrist and position your hand at a proper level when the device will inflate and begin the measurement.
It has a capacity of storing up to 60 sets of readings and will display the average of your last 3 irregular heartbeat readings as well. The smart device uses body movement detection technology for its automatic and precise operation.
It is an excellent compact, clinically accurate device that more than 1 person can use. You can share it with your partner or other and have your readings stored separately for future reference and shown to your doctor.
The large display is easy to see and read. The buttons are also user-friendly, and thanks to the fact that it will inflate and deflate automatically, you don’t have to bother turning it on or pressing a start button every time you decide to use it.
The device works with 2 AAA-sized batteries, which are included in the kit. You will also receive a storage case, an instruction manual, and a quick start-up guide with this portable, practical, and very accurate Omron HEM-6131 wrist monitor.
Forget about having to take your coat or other long-sleeved clothing off every time you want to check out your blood pressure with this top quality, reliable, and easy to use wrist monitor from Omron.
Omron has been designing and making blood pressure monitors for more than 40 years and is the number 1 recommended brand by doctors due to the accuracy of its blood pressure measurement equipment for home use.
The Omron Gold Wireless Blood Pressure Wrist Monitor is among the best you can buy in 2021.
The Omron Gold is among the latest of the company’s products and will help you monitor your blood pressure levels and log your measurements for you and another family member. It will also provide you with other useful features, including a high morning average indicator, heart zone guidance, silent inflation, and even comes with a mobile app.
- It accurately measures your diastolic and systolic blood pressure levels and your pulse in just a few seconds.
- The wrist blood pressure monitor is very comfortable and easy to use
- It has ultra-silent inflation, so you can check your blood pressure discretely no matter where you are
- The device has a nifty memory option, so you and another person can store your last 100 measurements each (a total of 200) to show to your doctor
- It has a unique high morning average indicator that will alert you if your blood pressure measurements are too high in the mornings when the risk of strokes and heart attacks is greater
- It has built-in Bluetooth for wireless connectivity to your phone or another device
- You can monitor and log your measurements via the useful and intuitive free Omron Connect app
- The device is compatible with iOS, Android and Alexa enabled devices, so you can track, store and share your readings with your doctor using Omron Health Skill
- There is a Heart Zone Guidance feature to ensure that your wrist is positioned correctly for an accurate reading every time
- A Cuff Wrap Guide sensor will alert you if you have wrapped it too loosely
- It comes with attached cuffs for the wrist, which is sized from 5.3 to 8.5 inches
- The product is sold with a detailed instruction manual and quick start guide
- It also has a convenient carry case
- The monitor is compact, light, and portable, and yet it has a large and clear display that is easy to view
- It works with 2 AAA batteries.
- The size of the device is 3.6 x 0.5 x 2.5 inches, and it weighs 3.2 ounces
Best budget pick
If you need to check out your blood pressure levels several times a day, buying this affordable Omron Series 3 wrist blood pressure monitor will make this task so much easier on you, especially due to the fact that you don’t have to pull your sleeve up or remove your top to take an accurate reading.
- Available at a very affordable price
- Very accurate results when used following the instructions
- You need to raise your wrist toward your heart and just press an ON button to get an instant reading of your blood pressure level and your pulse
- Has the capacity of storing your last 60 readings along with the dates and times, so you can take it to show it to your doctor on your next visit
- Very compact and light, it is suitable for people of all ages
- You will be alerted if an irregularity in your heartbeat is detected
- The average of your last 3 readings, which are taken within 10 minutes, will also be displayed
- It works with 2 AAA sized batteries
- An easy to read and interpret the display
- Provides rapid and accurate readings
- Made by Omron who are the number one recommended blood pressure measurement device, manufacturers
Here are our other top picks for the best wrist blood pressure monitors of 2021
If you want a wrist blood pressure monitor that will detect and warn you if your hand isn’t in the correct position for an accurate reading, the Mark of Fitness MF-87 is one of the most affordable options available in 2021 with this function.
- A correct positioning system that will display an “OK” as soon as your arm is in the correct position for getting an accurate blood pressure measurement
- Measures the heartbeat and detects any irregularities
- Features a large and user-friendly display
- Can be used by 2 people and can store up to 60 readings separately for them
- Fits wrists with a circumference up to 8.9 inches
- Works with 2 AAA alkaline batteries
- Comes with a quick picture diagram for proper use
- Sold with a hard case for safe storage and transportation
- Compact and simple, and yet very accurate
This FDA-approved blood pressure wrist monitor by Generation Guard is one of the easiest to use and a highly accurate measurement device. With the help of this blood pressure and heart rate monitor, you will be able to keep track of your heart health easily and wherever you happen to be.
- It is FDA-approved blood pressure and heart rate measurement instrument.
- It is effortless to use, and all you need to do is wrap the cuff around your wrist, sit down and lift your wrist to the level of your heart.
- The controls are user-friendly, and all you need to do is press the ON button to get a quick and precise reading.
- The reading will appear on display in just 30 seconds
- This is among the most accurate home blood pressure monitors available in this price range
- The wrist cuff will fit wrists from 5.3 to 7.6 inches
- The monitor has a large display so that you can see the readings clearly from a distance
- It also will display the date and time
- You can store your last 90 readings thanks to its nifty memory feature
- It has a last reading recall function
- The device is sold with a convenient carry and storage case
- It also comes with 2 AAA alkaline batteries and a user manual
- The monitor is offered with a 100% money-back guarantee
If you want to keep an eye on your blood pressure levels without the hassle of going to the doctor or using a traditional blood pressure monitor, then you should try out the Paramed Automatic Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor.
It is elementary to use and takes only 30 seconds to measure your blood pressure levels without the discomfort of using a tight cuff on your upper arm and having to take your clothes off or roll up your sleeve.
- The blood pressure and heart rate readings will appear on the large LCD display in just 30 seconds.
- It is straightforward to use, even if you are not tech-savvy, and requires a press of a single button only.
- It has a memory option for storing your last 90 readings and then sharing them with your doctor.
- It is compact, light, and portable, so you can carry it in your purse or bag with you wherever you go.
- There is also a clock and date on display.
- The unit will shut off automatically after 1 minute without being used to save battery life.
- It is blood pressure and heart rate monitor approved by the FDA
- It has a low battery indicator
- The wrist cuffs are adjustable and will fit wrists that are 13.5 to 19.5cm.
- The device is powered by 2 AAA batteries which are included in the package.
- It comes with a protective carry box.
- The device is sold at a reasonable price and comes with a 30-day money-back satisfaction guarantee.
The Veridian Healthcare Smartheart blood pressure wrist monitor is another reasonably priced and easy to use product that will allow you to monitor and keep track of your heart rate and blood pressure by yourself, quickly and easily in all light conditions.
- The wrist monitor has 2-person tracking memory so that you can store 60 readings per user, or a total of 120 readings.
- It has an easy to view, large, blue backlit display so that you can use it in the middle of the night and in dark conditions too.
- The memory will log the readings, the time, date, and an average of the last three readings.
- It has a hypertension indicator and an irregular heartbeat detection indicator to let you know if there is a potential problem with your heart.
- The device has a rechargeable li-ion battery and comes with a USB charging cable, so you will not have to buy replacement batteries.
- It offers fully automatic inflation as well as deflation of the cuffs
- You will receive a blood pressure charting log and a useful FAQ pamphlet with this monitor
- It comes with a storage case
- It is compact, portable, and light – 5.2 x 5.1 x 3 inches
This easy-to-use wrist blood pressure monitor is the perfect option for people who are not too good with technology. It offers a quick, pain-free, and accurate reading of the user’s blood pressure and pulse with minimal effort.
- The monitor has a large, backlit display so that you will see the readings clearly day or night.
- It offers the hassle-free single-button operation, perfect for those who are not tech-savvy.
- You can store your last 60 readings to share them later with your doctor.
- It has an AHA and irregular heartbeat detection indicators
- You will receive 2 AAA batteries with it
- The cuff can fit wrists that are 5.25 to 8.5 inches
- The product is sold with a 100-day satisfaction guarantee
This smart wrist blood pressure monitor will let you know if you haven’t positioned your wrist correctly or moving around too much during the reading. It will also inflate and deflate the cuff to the appropriate level automatically for you.
It is an accurate, discrete, and easy-to-use monitor that will allow you to check your blood pressure and heart rate and keep track of these vital measurements for you to share with your doctor on your next appointment.
- Its Smart measure technology will ensure that every reading is taken precisely, without too much motion, and with the proper positioning of your wrist.
- It has an irregular heart rate detector indicator
- The monitor can be used by two people and will store the last 60 readings per user with the exact date and time for each
- It is effortless to use thanks to its intuitive controls and one-touch operation
- The adjustable cuff will fit wrists that are 5.3 to 7.7 inches
- It also has an average function that will inform you of the average among the last three readings of each user
- It comes with 2 AAA batteries and storage and carries box
- The monitor is sold with a 5-year warranty
This wrist blood pressure monitor is an excellent gift idea or option for people with poor eyesight, as it has a Clear Voice Broadcast function and a large display for listening to or viewing the readings.
The device is rechargeable via USB, so you can forget about buying replacement batteries for it.
- It can be recharged via an included USB cable, which will save money and the hassle of purchasing and replacing batteries.
- Thanks to the Clear Voice Broadcast function, even people with limited eyesight will be able to get their accurate blood pressure and heart rate readings
- The LCD screen is large and easy to view
- The monitor has a memory for storing the last 180 or 90 readings for each of the two people using it.
- It is accurate and effortless to use
- The cuff will fit wrists from 5.4 to 10.3 inches
- The device will also store the exact time, date, and year of each reading.
- It has an irregular heartbeat indicator and a WHO indicator
- It is portable and compact with a size of just 2.56 x 3.15 x 1.1 inches, a sleeve size of 11.9 x 3.2 inches, and a weight of 3.7 ounces
- It will shut off automatically after 3 minutes
- It comes with a carry box
Features to look for when shopping for the best wrist blood pressure monitor
Here are the features which we looked for when we picked out our top recommended wrist cuffs for blood pressure for 2021 for you.
An automatic inflation function
Our top pick and our runner-up choices both offer automatic inflation and operation. Both the Omron 7-Series, the Omron HEM-6131, and a number of our other choices in our list have this handy function.
You won’t need to push a series of buttons or pump the air into the cuff manually if you choose one of these blood pressure measuring devices.
Plus, monitors such as our top picks from Omron have a Heart Guide Technology which will automatically detect when the device is at the appropriate position and will turn on automatically only when you have raised it to the appropriate level.
All you need to do is put it on your wrist, position your arm in accordance to the instructions of the manufacturer, and thanks to the body movement sensors in these devices they will automatically start inflating as soon as your wrist is where it is supposed to be to get an accurate reading.
In general, the devices with this function are quieter and more discreet, making them great for use while your spouse is sleeping or if you want to take your blood pressure readings without attracting any attention by others.
Some of the other wrist bands for blood pressure monitoring have similar functions, such as indicators (light or on the display) that will let you know when you have positioned the device and your arm properly.
Powering the unit
All of the wrist monitors for blood pressure on our list are operated by AAA batteries. Most of them are sold with an included set of batteries. They usually use 2 batteries, so it is good to have an extra set to ensure that you don’t run out. Then again, the better models, such as our top picks and most of the others in the best 10 list we have compiled have an auto-shutoff function, which will ensure that you save power without the need of having to turn the device off.
The Omron 7-Series with Bluetooth connectivity will allow you to pair your device with your smartphone or tablet and store your readings there as well as share them with your doctor or with other family members when necessary.
Memory and reading storage
The idea of a good blood pressure monitor is not only to provide you with an accurate reading of your blood pressure and your pulse every time, but also to store your readings for further reference and so that you can show them to your doctor the next time you are in for a checkup.
All of the wrist cuffs we have picked can store from 60 to 120 readings, and many of them can be used by two people with two separate tracking options. The Koogeek wrist monitor can store the data of up to 16 people, so it is a perfect option if you have a large family or are caring for several people at once.
Ease of use
Of course, nobody likes complicated, counter-intuitive devices and require a lot of meddling and fiddling with the buttons and settings. This is why we chose 10 wrist monitors for blood pressure, which are very intuitive, have simple settings, and are easy to use and read.
Most of our top picks require that you place the cuff on your wrist, position your hand at the appropriate level, and they either start measuring the blood pressure and heart rate automatically or you will need to press one single button for them to begin with the measurement.
Display and font size
Since it is likelier that an older person will use a blood pressure monitor with impaired eyesight from the age, the display of the measuring device must be large enough and easy enough to read. Our favorite models all have large-sized displays, some of which are backlit for operation in the dark hours. They all have simple screen overlays and will display your diastolic and systolic readings, your heart rate, and will inform you if irregularities are measured.
A wrist blood pressure monitor should be light, portable and comfortable to use. Most of the devices on our list are sold with storage and travel cases so that you can carry your monitor with you and check your blood pressure wherever you are and whenever you need to.
The cuffs are adjustable, so they can fit small and larger wrists, but check out the measurements before buying one to make sure it will fit you, especially if you have larger wrists.
Clinically tested and validated
Even though they may look similar and have similar functions, some wrist blood pressure monitors are more accurate and reliable than others. Always check whether the monitor is clinically approved, approved by the FDA, or complies with other national and international standards.
Tips for using a wrist blood pressure monitor
Here are some tips for using your wrist blood pressure cuff properly, so that you can rest assured that the readings are correct and that you are tracking them correctly.
Check your blood pressure cuff with your doctor
No matter how sure you are about a wrist blood pressure monitor being accurate and reliable, it is a good idea to take it to your doctor on your next visit and ask them to take your blood pressure reading there and then use your own wrist monitor to compare the results. Often, even if you have an excellent quality blood pressure monitor, you may not be using it properly, so your doctor will help you position it properly on your wrist and position your hand at heart level – which is essential for an accurate reading.
Preparing yourself for a reading
It is advisable that you avoid drinking alcohol, coffee or caffeinated drinks, smoking, eating, bathing or exercising for 30 minutes before reading.
These can affect your blood pressure levels, so make sure that you are calm, rested and choose a quiet spot to do the measurement.
Choosing the best time for a reading
For proper tracking of your blood pressure levels, it is best to take the readings at the same time every day. Choose an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening for your daily blood pressure measuring, so that you can track and compare the results more successfully.
The American Heart Association strongly recommends that you take your first blood pressure reading in the morning before you have smoked your first cigarette (of course it recommends that you abstain from smoking at all), before drinking coffee and before eating.
Finding the best position for the measurement
It is best if you sit on a chair with your feet placed flat on the floor. Rest your arm on a table, pillow, or armrest with the palm of your hand facing upwards. Place the cuff on your hand and raise the arm and cuff up to a heart level. Most of our top picks will inform you whether the position is correct, and some of our top choices will only start the reading when the arm is positioned perfectly.
Avoid talking, walking, or moving during the actual measurement for the most accurate results.
How to place the cuff properly
Wrap the cuff around your bare wrist and makes sure that it fits snuggly. You should be able to fit only one finger in between it and your wrist. The display should be on the inner side of the wrist over the veins where the pulse is the strongest. After you are done, position your hand up to a heart level.
How to get the most accurate daily blood pressure reading
It is worth measuring your blood pressure 2 to 3 times after another, with intervals of about 1 to 2 minutes. You should get an average reading which is probably the most accurate one. Most of the wrist monitors we have reviewed for you have an automatized function of finding and displaying the average reading among the last 3 readings for a 10 minute period for added convenience.
What to do if you get a high blood pressure reading
Although high blood pressure can be a dangerous condition, one single such reading should not throw you into a panic. If your reading is slightly higher than normal, then proceed to take it once or twice more to see if the reading is correct and if it persists.
If your blood pressure suddenly surges to levels above 180/120 mm Hg, then wait for five minutes and measure it again. If the results are the same or higher, you should contact your doctor because you may be suffering from a hypertensive crisis.
You should call your doctor or 911 if the high blood pressure reading is accompanied by difficulty berating, sudden chest pain, back pain, a change of vision, difficulty speaking, numbness of the arms or legs, or another worrying symptom too.
Don’t stop taking your prescribed medication even when the blood pressure reading is normal
You should continue taking the high blood pressure medicine prescribed by your doctor as required even if your daily readings show that it is normal. Always consult with your doctor before switching to another medicament or before stopping taking the drugs you have been prescribed!
When should you use a wrist or upper arm home blood pressure monitor
Of course, taking care of your health is essential for just about anyone, but some people are at an elevated risk and need to monitor their blood pressure daily. So, make sure that you take readings of your blood pressure daily and track them if you:
- Are diagnosed with hypertension
- Are starting a new treatment for high blood pressure
- Have a condition that can lead to hypertension or elevated blood pressure levels
- Are pregnant and have preeclampsia or pregnancy-induced hypertension
- Tend to suffer from white coat syndrome, and get high readings only at the doctor’s office
- Tend to have “masked hypertension” and end up with lower readings when you are at the doctor’s office
Track your readings
You must track your blood pressure readings so that you can provide your doctor with a time-lapse picture of your condition over time. Thankfully, most good quality wrist blood pressure cuffs have storage for your readings, so they will automatically record them along with the date and time for you. Some have an option for setting up several profiles so that two or more people can track their readings simultaneously. The monitors which work with mobile apps are handy for blood pressure tracking because you can store your data directly on your phone or tablet, and then show it to or share it with your doctor directly.
How to lower your blood pressure without medications
If you have been prescribed medication for your hypertension, you should definitely take it as your doctor requires. But if you want to lower your risk of developing hypertension and having problems with high blood pressure, you should make the following changes to your lifestyle:
Lose that extra weight
Blood pressure will increase as your weight increases. Also, being overweight can cause sleep apnea and also cause a surge in your blood pressure. So, make sure that you lose those extra pounds and reach a healthy BMI and healthy waistline measurement if you want to reduce your risk of hypertension, heart disease, diabetes type II and other related problems.
The recommended weekly physical activity is 150 minutes, which means about 30 minutes a day. If you follow this rule you can lower your blood pressure significantly.
Eat a healthy diet
According to the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet, eating more fruits, veggies and low-fat dairy and meat can help lower your blood pressure.
Eat less salt
By reducing the sodium in your food, you can also lower your blood pressure levels. The recommended limit of salt is 2,300 milligrams per day, but the ideal limit is 1,500 milligrams for adults.
Cut down your alcohol consumption
Too much alcohol can cause high blood pressure, so make sure you don’t drink more than the recommended moderate amounts of alcohol per day, one drink for women and two drinks for men per day.
If you haven’t done it already, it is time to give up this nasty habit. When you quit smoking, there is a big chance that your high blood pressure will get back to normal levels.
Manage your stress levels
It is no secret that stress can affect your health and especially your blood pressure levels. So, make sure that you try to handle any stress you may be experiencing properly and eliminate as many of the stressors that you can.
Make sure that you have your blood pressure levels in control with the help of one of our top choices for the best blood pressure wrist cuffs for 2021. They are affordable and straightforward to use, and can help you stay healthy and well, and may even save your life!
So, go ahead and buy one of the wrist blood pressure monitors for greater peace of mind for your own health and the health of your loved ones!
Good luck with your purchase and take care!