High blood pressure can be very dangerous and even fatal if left unmonitored and untreated. This is why, every home needs an accurate blood pressure monitor, especially people with health conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, those who have suffered strokes or heart attacks.
The easiest way to keep track of your blood pressure levels and to monitor your condition over time is to get good quality wrist blood pressure cuff.
Wrist cuffs are small, portable, and don’t require that you take off your clothing or pump the cuff manually.
Also, they are irreplaceable for those of you who suffer from the so-called white coat syndrome, which causes your blood pressure to surge as soon as you enter your doctor’s office due to anxiety and other psychological factors. With an accurate wrist monitor, you can check your actual blood pressure level in the comfort of your own home without being stressed out or otherwise worried.
Plus, a wrist blood pressure cuff is the best alternative to an upper arm blood pressure monitor if you have larger upper arms and find the use of upper arm cuffs too painful.
We have picked the top 10 wrist blood pressure monitors which we found and tested, and which we asked several cardiologists and other medical experts about.
So, go ahead and read our brief overviews of the top 10 wrist blood pressure monitors for 2019, so that you can choose the one which will fit your needs.
All of our favorites are very easy to use, easy to read and are as accurate as regular upper arm blood pressure monitors, so just pick one and rest assured that you will be able to keep track of how your blood pressure is without the need of visiting your doctor day in and day out.
The Omron 7-series wrist blood pressure monitor is our top choice for best overall product in this range for 2019, firstly because Omron has been making blood pressure monitors for over four decades, and because it is the number 1 recommended by medical professionals when it comes to the most accurate and clinically-test home blood pressure measuring equipment.
The 7 Series will store your last 100 readings with date and time stamps, and will automatically average up your results and display the average of the last 3 readings you have taken for a period of 10 minutes.
The Heart Zone Guidance feature helps ensure that the readings are accurate as it switches the measuring device on as soon as you place your wrist at the level of your heart. You can use it while standing up, sitting, or lying down.
The Omron 7-Series operates very quietly, so you can measure your blood pressure without bothering others or waking up your partner if you decide to check it out during the night. The large display will allow you to read your results easily.
This nifty wrist blood pressure cuff will alert you if it senses an irregular heartbeat, or if the results from the measurement are outside of the normal ones.
In this package, you will receive the wrist monitor, a storage case, 2 AAA batteries, an instructions manual, and a quick start guide.
It is a compact blood pressure monitor which will allow you to check out your blood pressure levels wherever you are. You can always have it available in your bag when you are out so that you can rest assured that you can check your heartbeat level and blood pressure whenever you want.
The device will inflate automatically when you raise your wrist to a heart level, and there are useful indicator lights on the unit which will make it much easier to find the right position to get an accurate reading. As soon as you see a blue light, this means that you have positioned your hand at the correct level and position, and the unit will activate itself.
The Omron 7 will display how your current reading compares to the international guidelines for normal blood pressure.
The design of the wrist monitor is slim and light, so you can leave it on and check your condition whenever you decide, without being bothered by any clunky devices, tubes, and others.
It will fit all wrists sized from 5 ¼ to 8 ½ inches in circumference.
Overall, we strongly recommend this quiet, discreet, comfortable and very accurate blood pressure measuring device for all of you who want a reliable blood pressure monitor which will give you a peace of mind and which doesn’t have any complicated settings and starts the reading automatically.
Our runner-up is once again a wrist blood pressure cuff from Omron. The HEM-6131 measures the blood pressure via a highly accurate oscillometric method. It is completely automatic, so you won’t have to set up or press anything if you want to check out how you are doing.
All you need to do is place the monitor on your wrist and position your hand at a proper level when the device will inflate and begin the measurement.
It has a capacity of storing up to 60 sets of readings and will display the average of your last 3 irregular heartbeat readings as well.
The smart device uses body movement detection technology for its automatic and precise operation.
It is an excellent compact clinically accurate device which can be used by more than 1 person. You can share it with your partner or other, and have your readings get stored separately for future reference and show to your doctor.
The large display is easy to see and read. The buttons are also user-friendly, and thanks to the fact that it will inflate and deflate automatically you don’t have to bother turning it on or pressing a start button every time you decide to use it.
The device works with 2 AAA sized batteries which are included in the kit. You will also receive a storage case, an instruction manual and a quick start-up guide with this portable, practical and very accurate Omron HEM-6131 wrist monitor.
Forget about having to take your coat or other long-sleeved clothing off every time you want to check out your blood pressure with this top quality, reliable and easy to use wrist monitor from Omron.
Best budget pick
If you are looking for the best budget wrist blood pressure monitor which still offers precise readings and is easy to use, then the Hylogy Clinically tested accurate blood pressure assessment cuff is the best choice on the market right now.
It has a storage capacity for 120 readings and has been approved by the FDA, RoHS, and CE.
The Hylogy wrist blood pressure measuring device features an Advanced IntelliSense technology based on chips made in Germany which ensure that the measurements are always as accurate as possible.
It will measure your systolic and diastolic blood pressure, your pulse and your heartbeat at the same time. The device can detect any irregularities in the heartbeat, and is an excellent way to rest assured that you can keep an eye on your health condition without having to rush to the doctor every time you get the feeling that your blood pressure is too high or too low.
The inexpensive heartbeat and blood pressure wrist monitor is extremely easy to use. You just need to press a button and leave everything else to the device for quick and precise reading. After 30 seconds without being used, the device will shut down automatically, so that you can save battery power without worrying about turning it off every time you use it.
The cuff is adjustable from 5.3 to 8.3 inches. The large display is very clear and easy to read even for elderly users or those of you with impaired eyesight.
It can be shared between two users, and store their readings separately so that you can show them to your doctor or use them as a future reference.
You will receive 2 AAA batteries, a case for storing it, a user manual and a warranty for 24 months from the manufacturer.
It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can return it if you are not happy with how it works.
We love just how convenient and easy to use the budget-friendly Hylogy wrist monitor for blood pressure is. You can share it with your partner, and be sure that your last 120 measurements are saved so that you can keep an eye on your health and talk to your doctor if you see irregularities or worrying results.
Here are our other top picks for the best wrist blood pressure monitors of 2019
Do you want to buy your elderly parents a very easy to use and read blood pressure monitor? The Veridian silver wrist blood pressure cuff is a reasonably priced and reliable device which can be used and read by anyone.
- A large and easy to read blue LED backlit display which can be read in the day and at night
- A modern design with aluminum housing and a comfortable cuff
- The unit will display the pulse, systolic and diastolic blood pressure readings at the same time, along with a time and date stamp
- The useful hypertension indicator will compare your reading with the international standards set by the World Health Organization and will alert you if irregular heartbeats are detected
- It will store the last 60 readings and display an average of your last 3 ones
- The unit is completely automatic
- The monitor comes with a wrist cuff, a storage case, 2 AAA batteries, a detailed quick start guide in English and Spanish, as well as a blood pressure reading log which you can keep to show to your doctor
- The wrist cuff can fit wrists with a circumference of 5 ½ up to 7 5/8 inches
- Sold at a reasonable price with a limited lifetime warranty
If you need to check out your blood pressure levels several times a day, buying this affordable Omron Series 3 wrist blood pressure monitor will make this task so much easier on you, especially due to the fact that you don’t have to pull your sleeve up or remove your top to take an accurate reading.
- Available at a very affordable price
- Very accurate results when used in accordance with the instructions
- You need to raise your wrist toward your heart and just press an ON button to get an instant reading of your blood pressure level and your pulse
- Has a capacity of storing your last 60 readings along with the dates and times, so you can take it to show it to your doctor on your next visit
- Very compact and light it is suitable for people of all ages
- You will be alerted if an irregularity in your heartbeat is detected
- The average of your last 3 readings which are taken within 10 minutes will also be displayed
- It works with 2 AAA sized batteries
- An easy to read and interpret display
- Provides very quick and accurate readings
- Made by Omron who are the number one recommended blood pressure measurement device manufacturers
If you prefer using smart devices, then the Omron 7 Series Bluetooth wrist blood pressure monitor is the one to buy.
- Bluetooth wireless connectivity option to sync the unit to your smartphone or another device to store your readings or share your results with your doctor
- Compatible with Alexa IoT devices
- A memory for storing 100 readings
- Will display an average of 3 consecutive readings taken within 10 minutes
- Displays your diastolic and systolic blood pressure reading and your pulse
- The device will store your trends and readings and allows for sharing the results with your family, friends or doctor
- It features the Heart Zone Guidance technology which ensures that your wrist is in the correct position at heart level for an accurate reading
- The wrist monitor inflates and starts the reading automatically when it detects that it is at the appropriate position and level
- Very quiet inflating and operation
- Fits wrists from 5 ¼ to 8 ½ inch circumferences
- Works with Omron’s free mobile app for Android mobile phones and devices
- Very slim, discreet and easy to use anywhere and at any time
- Comes with 2 AAA batteries, a case, a user’s manual, a setup guide
Do you need an accurate wrist blood pressure monitor which both you and another family member can use? Try out the compact Fam-health digital wrist monitor.
- Uses an oscillometric technology for very precise blood pressure and pulse readings
- A storage capacity of up to 60 readings
- Can be set for use by two users and will record each of your results separately with all date and time stamps
- A large LCD display which is easy to read and understand
- Automatic inflation of the cuff
- A large sized cuff which is adjustable to fit most wrists
- Approved by the FDA
- Silent inflation and deflation for discreet use
- Shuts off after 2 minutes to save power
- Detects irregular heartbeats while you measure your blood pressure
- Alerts you when high blood pressure levels are detected
- Very easy to use – with the press of a single button
- Features an acrylic panel to keep the display from scratching and damage
- Comes with 2 AAA sized batteries which will last for 300 readings
- Sold with a 1-year warranty
Your doctor has asked you to keep a log of your blood pressure readings before your next visit? With the BulbHead Color Doctor Platinum blood pressure wrist monitor, this will become and easy and budget-friendly task.
- Has a nifty color-coded system to get a quick idea of whether your blood pressure is normal (green), elevated (yellow) or high (red) which is especially useful for elderly users
- Also measures your heart rate
- It is a simple device which you just need to put on your wrist and press a button to get your accurate reading
- Stores up to 90 reading for one or two users
- Sold with a platinum storage case
- Works with 2 AAA batteries
- The manufacturer offers a 3-year warranty
If you want a wrist blood pressure monitor which will detect and warn you if your hand isn’t in the correct position for an accurate reading, the Mark of Fitness MF-87 is one of the most affordable options available in 2019 with this function.
- A correct positioning system which will display an “OK” as soon as your arm is in the correct position for getting an accurate blood pressure measurement
- Measures the heartbeat and detects any irregularities
- Features a large and user-friendly display
- Can be used by 2 people and can store up to 60 readings separately for them
- Fits wrists with circumference up to 8.9 inches
- Works with 2 AAA alkaline batteries
- Comes with a quick picture diagram for proper use
- Sold with a hard case for safe storage and transportation
- Compact and simple, and yet very accurate
If you need a wrist monitor for blood pressure which can be used by many users and still record all of their readings, then the Koogeek wrist blood pressure monitor is the most appropriate one for you.
- It can be used by up to 16 users and will track and store all of their readings separately
- Measures the blood pressure and the heart rate at the same time
- The device will alert you if an irregular heart rate is detected
- Can store up to 99 different sets of data for up to 16 people
- A large LCD display with large fonts and a voice prompt
- Works with a useful mobile app for Android and iOS which will allow you to set up alarms and reminders to keep track of your blood pressure on time
- Automatic inflation and deflation of the cuff
- 2 AAA batteries are included in the package
- Sold with a 30-day money-back guarantee, 18-month replacement warranty and lifetime product support
Features to look for when shopping for the best wrist blood pressure monitor
Here are the features which we looked for when we picked out our top recommended wrist cuffs for blood pressure for 2019 for you.
An automatic inflation function
Our top pick and our runner-up choices both offer automatic inflation and operation. Both the Omron 7-Series, the Omron HEM-6131, as well as a number of our other choices in our list have this very useful function.
You won’t need to push a series of buttons or have to pump the air into the cuff manually if you choose one of these blood pressure measuring devices.
Plus, monitors such as our top picks from Omron have a Heart Guide Technology which will automatically detect when the device is at the appropriate position and will turn on automatically only when you have raised it to the appropriate level.
All you need to do is put it on your wrist, position your arm in accordance to the instructions of the manufacturer, and thanks to the body movement sensors in these devices they will automatically start inflating as soon as your wrist is where it is supposed to be to get an accurate reading.
In general, the devices with this function are quieter and more discreet which makes them great for use while your spouse is sleeping or if you want to take your blood pressure readings without attracting any attention by others.
Some of the other wrist bands for blood pressure monitoring have similar functions, such as indicators (light or on the display) which will let you know when you have positioned the device and your arm properly too.
Powering the unit
All of the wrist monitors for blood pressure on our list are operated by AAA batteries. Most of them are sold with an included set of batteries. They usually use 2 batteries, so it is a good idea to have an extra set, to ensure that you don’t run out. Then again, the better models, such as our top picks and most of the others in the best 10 list we have compiled have an auto shutoff function which will ensure that you save power without the need of having to turn the device off.
The Omron 7-Series with Bluetooth connectivity will allow you to pair your device with your smartphone or tablet and store your readings there as well as share them with your doctor or with other family members when necessary.
Memory and reading storage
The idea of a good blood pressure monitor is not only to provide you with an accurate reading of your blood pressure and your pulse every time, but also to store your readings for further reference, and so that you can show them to your doctor the next time you are in for a checkup.
All of the wrist cuffs we have picked can store from 60 to 120 readings, and many of them can be used by two people with two separate tracking options. The Koogeek wrist monitor can store the data of up to 16 people, so it is a perfect option if you have a large family or are caring for a number of people at once.
Ease of use
Of course, nobody likes complicated devices which are counter-intuitive and require a lot of meddling and fiddling with the buttons and settings. This is why we chose 10 wrist monitors for blood pressure which are very intuitive and have simple settings and are easy to use and read.
Most of our top picks require that you place the cuff on your wrist, position your hand at the appropriate level, and they either start measuring the blood pressure and heart rate automatically or you will need to press one single button for them to begin with the measurement.
Display and font size
Since it is likelier that a blood pressure monitor will be used by an older person with impaired eyesight from the age, it is essential that the display of the measuring device is large enough and easy enough to read. Our favorite models all have large-sized displays, some of which are backlit for operation in the dark hours. All of them have simple screen overlays and will display your diastolic and systolic readings, your heart rate, and will inform you if irregularities are measured.
A wrist blood pressure monitor should be light, portable and comfortable to use. Most of the devices on our list are sold with storage and travel cases so that you can carry your monitor with you and check your blood pressure wherever you are and whenever you need to.
The cuffs are adjustable, so they can fit small and larger wrists, but check out the measurements before you buy one to make sure it will fit you, especially if you have larger wrists.
Clinically tested and validated
Even though they may look similar and have similar functions, some wrist blood pressure monitors are more accurate and reliable than others. Always check whether the monitor is clinically approved, approved by the FDA or is in compliance with other national and international standards.
Tips for using a wrist blood pressure monitor
Here are some tips for using your wrist blood pressure cuff properly, so that you can rest assured that the readings are correct and that you are tracking them correctly.
Check your blood pressure cuff with your doctor
No matter how sure you are about a wrist blood pressure monitor being accurate and reliable, it is a good idea to take it to your doctor on your next visit and ask them to take your blood pressure reading there and then use your own wrist monitor to compare the results. Often times, even if you have an excellent quality blood pressure monitor you may not be using it properly, so your doctor will help you position it properly on your wrist, and also to position your hand at heart level – which is essential for an accurate reading.
Preparing yourself for a reading
It is advisable that you avoid drinking alcohol, coffee or caffeinated drinks, smoking, eating, bathing or exercising for 30 minutes before reading.
All of these can affect your blood pressure levels, so make sure that you are calm, rested and choose a quiet spot to do the measurement.
Choosing the best time for a reading
For proper tracking of your blood pressure levels, it is best to take the readings at the same times every day. Choose an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening for your daily blood pressure measuring, so that you can track and compare the results more successfully.
The American Heart Association strongly recommends that you take your first blood pressure reading in the morning before you have smoked your first cigarette (of course it recommends that you abstain from smoking at all), before drinking coffee and before eating.
Finding the best position for the measurement
It is best if you sit on a chair with your feet placed flat on the floor. Rest your arm on a table, pillow or an armrest with the palm of your hand facing upwards. Place the cuff on your hand and raise the arm and cuff up to a heart level. Most of our top picks will inform you whether the position is correct, and some of our top choices will only start the reading when the arm is positioned perfectly.
Avoid talking, walking or moving during the actual measurement for the most accurate results.
How to place the cuff properly
Wrap the cuff around your bare wrist, and makes sure that it fits snuggly. You should be able to fit only one finger in between it and your wrist. The display should be on the inner side of the wrist over the veins where the pulse is the strongest. After you are done, position your hand up to a heart level.
How to get the most accurate daily blood pressure reading
It is worthwhile measuring your blood pressure 2 to 3 times one after another, with intervals of about 1 to 2 minutes. You should get an average reading which probably the most accurate one. Most of the wrist monitors we have reviewed for you have an automatized function of finding and displaying the average reading among the last 3 readings for a 10 minute period for added convenience.
What to do if you get a high blood pressure reading
Although high blood pressure can be a dangerous condition, one single such reading should not throw you into a panic. If your reading is slightly higher than normal, then proceed to take it once or twice more, in order to see if the reading is correct and if it persists.
If your blood pressure suddenly surges to levels above 180/120 mm Hg, then wait for five minutes and measure it again. If the results are the same or higher, you should contact your doctor because you may be suffering from a hypertensive crisis.
You should call your doctor or 911 if the high blood pressure reading is accompanied by difficulty berating, sudden chest pain, back pain, a change of vision, difficulty speaking, numbness of the arms or legs or another worrying symptom too.
Don’t stop taking your prescribed medication even when the blood pressure reading is normal
You should continue taking the high blood pressure medicine prescribed by your doctor as required even if your daily readings show that it is normal. Always consult with your doctor before switching to another medicament or before stopping taking the drugs you have been prescribed!
When should you use a wrist or upper arm home blood pressure monitor
Of course, taking care of your health is essential for just about anyone, but some people are at an elevated risk and need to monitor their blood pressure on a daily basis. So, make sure that you take readings of your blood pressure on a daily basis and track them if you:
- Are diagnosed with hypertension
- Are starting a new treatment for high blood pressure
- Have a condition which can lead to hypertension or elevated blood pressure levels
- Are pregnant and have preeclampsia or pregnancy-induced hypertension
- Tend to suffer from white coat syndrome, and get high readings only at the doctor’s office
- Tend to have “masked hypertension” and end up with lower readings when you are at the doctor’s office
Track your readings
It is essential that you track your blood pressure readings so that you can provide your doctor with a time-lapse picture of your condition over time. Thankfully, most good quality wrist blood pressure cuffs have storage for your readings, so they will automatically record them along with the date and time for you. Some have an option for setting up several profiles so that two or more people can track their readings simultaneously. The monitors which work with mobile apps are very useful for blood pressure tracking because you can store your data directly on your phone or tablet, and then show it to or share it with your doctor directly.
How to lower your blood pressure without medications
If you have been prescribed medication for your hypertension then you should definitely take it as required by your doctor. But if you want to lower your risk of developing hypertension and having problems with high blood pressure, you should make the following changes to your lifestyle:
Lose that extra weight
Blood pressure will increase as your weight increases. Also, being overweight can cause sleep apnea and also cause a surge in your blood pressure. So, make sure that you lose those extra pounds and reach a healthy BMI and healthy waistline measurement if you want to reduce your risk of hypertension, heart disease, diabetes type II and other related problems.
The recommended weekly physical activity is 150 minutes, which means about 30 minutes a day. If you follow this rule you can lower your blood pressure significantly.
Eat a healthy diet
Eating more fruits, veggies and low-fat dairy and meat can help lower your blood pressure, according to the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet.
Eat less salt
By reducing the sodium in your food, you can also lower your blood pressure levels. The recommended limit of salt is up to 2,300 milligrams per day, but the ideal limit is up to 1,500 milligrams for adults.
Cut down your alcohol consumption
Too much alcohol can cause high blood pressure, so make sure you don’t drink more than the recommended moderate amounts of alcohol per day, which is one drink for women and two drinks for men per day.
If you haven’t done it already, it is time to give up this nasty habit. When you quit smoking, there is a big chance that your high blood pressure will get back to normal levels.
Manage your stress levels
It is no secret that stress can affect your health and especially your blood pressure levels. So, make sure that you try to handle any stress you may be experiencing properly and eliminate as much of the stressors that you can.
Make sure that you have your blood pressure levels in control with the help of one of our top choices for the best blood pressure wrist cuffs for 2019. They are affordable and very easy to use, and can help you stay healthy and well, and may even save your life!
So, go ahead and buy one of the wrist blood pressure monitors for a greater peace of mind for your own health and for the health of your loved ones!
Good luck with your purchase and take care!