If you want to get rid of all the unsightly cables from your home movie theater, you should opt for a good quality wireless surround system. We have carefully tested many available wireless systems for surround sound and have picked the Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite 7.2 channel system as our top pick for the year.
Read on to find out more about this sound system, as well as about the rest of our top picks in this category, in order to pick the most suitable one for your preferences and needs.
It features the industry’s first 2-way surround speakers who each has tweeters for reproducing the high frequency sounds with astounding clarity as well as full-range drivers to deliver a surround effect very similar to that you will get in a movie theater.
Our favorite wireless surround system is the Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite.
The surround produced by this sound system from Nakamichi is much more advanced than that from other virtual 2.1 or 5.1 surround sound systems.
The audio system also includes two wireless subwoofers of 8 inches each, which are unique as well. The bass they produce will rock your world. Together the two subwoofers will recreate an adrenaline-pumping bass, which will be evenly distributed throughout the entire room.
There will be no distortion in the sounds and effects once you install this sound bar system in your home entertainment center. You will be able to create your home movie theater with just a few simple steps if you choose to purchase this wireless surround sound system.
The system can be expanded up to 7.2.4 channels for a truly immersive listening and viewing experience. It encompasses exclusive SSE technology.
With this technology, you will receive Dolby Atmos and DTS-X capability, as well as TrueHD DD+, Dolby Vision, and Nakamichi’s Spatial Surround Elevation (SSE) technology, which will bring your home viewing, gaming, and listening experience to an entirely new level.
Thanks to the 3 advanced audio processing engines of the sound system, you will be able to experience the soundtracks of your favorite movies, shows, and games in the way in which the directors and the developers wanted you to hear them. All of the small details and every simple sound will fill your room, so you will never feel the need to go to the movies again.
The 45-inch soundbar has Dolby Vision and 4K UHD pass-through, HDR, HDCP 2.2, and HDMI R+ARC.
You can connect up to 6 different devices to it simultaneously thanks to the multiple inputs and outputs including 3 HDMI 2.0, 1 HDMI ARC, an optical and a coaxial port.
The remote is backlit and allows for easy control of the settings, switching among inputs, changing individual sound channel settings and volumes, room size optimization, DSP settings, and others.
Thanks to the reliable Bluetooth aptX connectivity, you won’t need to connect unsightly and restricting cables in order to get the best sound and surround sound and effects you can ever experience outside of a real movie theater.
We picked this soundbar audio system not only because it was chosen as the “Best soundbar in the world listening battle” at CES 2018, but also because we tested it ourselves and we still cannot get over the amazing precision, detail and power of the surround sound and effects we experienced.
It comes as no surprise that this astonishing 5.1 channel wireless surround system from Sonos is among our top picks for the year. Sonos was one of the first companies to introduce Wi-Fi sound systems and audio equipment, and while as up till now, Sonos was focused on making separate smart wireless speakers, the company has now introduced an entire smart home theater system.
This sound system includes a Sonos Playbar soundbar, along with a wireless subwoofer and 2 Play:1 surround rear speakers.
The result is an amazing listening experience with all of the tiniest details coming alive and filling the room as you enjoy listening to music, watching movies, or playing games.
You will feel like part of the action as soon as you install and switch on this incredible home theater system from Sonos.
The system is easy to install and use, and once you download the SONOS mobile app, you will be able to calibrate the sound and control the entire system via your mobile phone or tablet.
All pieces of this excellent wireless surround sound system are high-end. The Playbar is 3.35 x 5.51 inches in size, so you can place it under the TV or mount it on the wall underneath it. It has 9 drivers, 2 woofers as well as a tweeter in the center, and 2 woofers with 2 tweeters on each side of the soundbar.
You can control your Playbar via your TV remote as well as with your smartphone.
The subwoofer is 15.3 x 15.8 x 6.2 inches in size and it stands out with its unusual design including a hole in the middle. It can be placed either horizontally or vertically wherever you decide. All you need to do is to pair it with the Playbar via the push of a button, and then you can adjust its volume and settings via the SONOS app. The sub has 2 drivers, 2 class D amplifiers which together eliminate any vibrations. The subwoofer can play bass and sounds as low as 25Hz.
As for the two Play:1 speakers, each one is 6.36 x 4.69 x 4.69 inches in size and weighs 4.08 lbs.
You can mount them on the wall or place them on stands. Once again, you will need to pair them with the Playbar and then can start playing with the settings via the mobile app.
Each speaker has two drivers – a woofer and a tweeter with class D amplifiers.
Not only is this home theater surround sound system very elegant looking, but it is completely wireless, very easy to set up and control, and use. Thanks to the TruePlay auto-calibration option, you can adjust the sound without the need to toggle with all settings separately.
The surround sound system supports Dolby Digital 5.1which is the format most commonly used for Blu-ray discs.
Apart from connecting the Playbar to your TV via the digital optical input, you can also stream music directly to it via the SONOS app. With the mobile app, you can also set up the useful Night Mode, which will allow you to watch a movie, play games or listen to music without disturbing others, as well as the Speech Enhancement feature for clear dialogue.
Overall, this is a superb option if you want to purchase an entire wireless surround sound home theater system instead of buying each element separately and at a greater cost.
The best budget choice
Once you set this incredible sound system by Logitech up, you will be able to enjoy a true cinema-quality sound and surround in the comfort of your own home, no matter whether you decide to watch a movie, sports, play your favorite game, or just listen to your favorite playlists.
The best budget choice in our list is a surround sound system which consists of five satellite speakers, a subwoofer, a control console, a wireless remote, and all necessary connections.
The 5.1 channel surround speaker system will ensure you never miss a single detail from a DTS or Dolby Digital soundtrack again.
The subwoofer is 165 watts, and the satellite speakers include 5 wall-mountable 67 Watt speakers which are THX certified for home theaters. The Z906 satellite speakers can covert two-channel stereo into 3D surround sound, so you can still enjoy your old albums, DVDs and other content but with a more immersive sound.
The system can deliver a peak of 1,000 Watts and continuous 500 Watts of power.
You can easily connect up to six devices to this audio system, including your TV, video game console, Blu-ray player, music player, computer, and others. It works with just about any device which has a headphone jack, an RCA, a digital coaxial or optical or a six-channel direct input.
The remote control is compact and easy to use, and the console is also easy to read and can be stacked alongside your other audiovisual devices.
Along with the speakers, subwoofer, console, and remote, you will also receive a six-channel direct cable.
This affordable surround sound system can be connected to a Logitech Bluetooth Audio Adapter for cable-free streaming from your smart devices and Bluetooth enabled ones as well.
Overall, this is one amazing and quite reasonably priced surround sound system that will make your listening, viewing and playing experience as close to real life and as close to a movie theater experience than you have ever imagined.
And here are our other top picks for the best wireless surround sound of the year
- This set is an affordable complete home theater surround sound system with 5.1 channels
- The JBL bar soundbar has two detachable wireless surround speakers which are battery powered
- The soundbar is 45 x 2.3 x 3.7 inches and weighs 8.6 lbs.
- The JBL bar has 6 woofers and 2 tweeters and a peak output power of 150Watts
- The detachable speakers have 10 hours of runtime – to recharge them all you need to do is attach them back to the soundbar
- The detachable speakers are 6.5 x 2.3 x 3.7 inches in size each
- The system includes a 10-inch wireless subwoofer (16 x 12 x 12 inches, 28.8 lbs.) with a maximum output of 300 Watts and an amazingly strong bass
- The total system power is 510 Watts
- You can connect 4K devices and several devices simultaneously to the JBL Bar
- It has 3 HDMI inputs and an HDMI ARC output as well as an optical digital and AUX inputs, and a USB 2.0 port
- The JBL 5.1 channel surround system supports Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Pro Logic II
- Very easy to set up, no need for wires to interconnect the speakers and subwoofer
- The system comes with a remote with an LCD display, but you can control the sound system via your existing TV remote control
- Thanks to the JBL SoundShift you can switch in between sources – from your TV to your mobile phone or tablet
- With the Night Mode, you can still listen to soundtracks or music even when everyone else in the house is sleeping
- The sound system has preset modes including Movie, Standard, Music, Sports, and Voice
- It switches on automatically when you turn the TV on and switches off after 10 minutes of inactivity
- You can pair any Bluetooth enabled device to stream music or audio directly to the surround sound system
If you are shopping for a complete wireless surround sound system for your home entertainment center and do not want to spend too much money on it, you should definitely check out the brilliant Enclave Audio CineHome wireless 5.1 channel system.
- It offers 5.1 channel immersive surround sound
- The system consists of 6 independent wireless custom-designed and tuner speakers (HD Wisa) and a total of 14 speaker drivers with a 360-degree output
- The rear surround speaker has two opposing drivers which will ensure that you experience an enveloping and widespread surround sound
- Includes a Smart Center which eliminates the need for a receiver and serves as a hub for the system – it is the only element which requires the use of a single cable to connect it to the TV
- The Smart Center hub is 12.4 x 5 x 7,7 inches
- The front left and right speakers are 4.7 x 12.4 x 7.7 inches
- The SR and SL speakers are 8.1 x 5 x 4.3 inches
- The subwoofer is 17.7 x 12 x 13 inches and provides one of the best bass responses we have heard so far
- The system supports both Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 surround sound formats, as well as Dolby Prologic II, Dolby Digital Plus, 4K pass-through, and HDMI 3D
- It has 3 HDMI inputs to connect different sources at once
- It also has a 3.5mm analog headphone jack, an optical and a Bluetooth inputs
- Supports CEC/ARC
- It can be upgraded to a 5.2 channel system
- No need for any unsightly and difficult to manage and hide speaker cables
- You can stream music directly to the system via the Enclave Audio app
- You can also connect it to your home network to play music from your computers or other devices
- It is also compatible with all Bluetooth enabled devices
- Effortless setup
- Extremely easy to use as it is a plug-and-play surround sound system and all speakers will pair with each other automatically
- The entire system costs less than $1,000
- A 5.1 high end surround sound system including a center speaker, subwoofer, and four satellite speakers
- The subwoofer is hi-fidelity and wireless via reliable, premium 24GHz connectivity for CD quality in the entire room
- All speakers feature spun copper injection-molded graphite (IMG) woofers and linear travel suspension horn-loaded tweeters
- The superior Klipsch quality cinematic acoustic performance
- A minimal footprint, which will not take up too much space
- The Tractrix Horn Technology paired with aluminum tweeters for a realistic and clean natural sound with minimal distortion and enhanced performance
- A down-firing subwoofer which will fill the room with deep bass
- The satellite speakers have keyhole mounts as well as threaded inserts for easy mounting
- The system allows for flexible placement
There’s no need to advertise the name Sony when it comes to audiovisual and electronics devices, and this Sony Sound Bar surround sound system is no exception when it comes to our expectations about the products made from the Japanese giant.
- The home theater surround sound system includes a Sony HT-Z9F 3.1 channel soundbar and two wireless rear speakers and a subwoofer
- The soundbar uses the Vertical Surround Engine system to simulate a full 7.1.2 channel system for a truly realistic and immersive surround sound and 3D sound
- The soundbar supports 4K HDR, Dolby Atmos, and DTS:X
- The Z9R rear speakers are sized 4 x 4 x 6.1 inches and connect wirelessly to the soundbar, and each of them has a maximum output of 50 Watts
- The subwoofer is 7.5 x 15.12 x 15.25 inches with a maximum output of 100 Watts
- The system features 7 preset sound modes including standard, auto, movie, gaming, music, news, and sports
- It is compatible with 4K HDR thanks to the pass-through which preserves the crisp and clear sounds of Ultra HD content
- You can stream various online audio content to the sound system wirelessly via Bluetooth, or hi-resolution audio via the built-in Chromecast or the Sony Music Center mobile app
- The soundbar can memorize up to 9 separate paired devices for easy connectivity and pairing
- Connectivity options include HDMI/ARC out, 2 HDMI inputs, LAN, USB, optical or analog stereo mini cables
- You can purchase the soundbar with the subwoofer separately from the rear speakers
- The system is sold with a comprehensive and easy to use remote control
- The design of all elements is sleek and stylish
More about wireless surround sound systems – history, benefits, and types
Home surround sound systems have been popular ever since the 1980’s as more people prefer the convenience of turning their own home entertainment centers into home movie theaters.
If you like to watch a lot of movies via DVD, Blu-ray or streaming which have 5.1, 7.1 and other surround sound soundtracks, adding an audio system like this can enhance your viewing and listening experience immensely.
Surround sound will put you and the other viewers at home in the center of the on-screen action and will provide you with the feeling like you are in a real movie theater.
A surround sound system includes a subwoofer and a set of speakers which thanks to the drivers provide viewers and listeners with an immersive surround sound. The most common configurations for such a system is a 5.1 channel system which includes 3 front speakers, 2 surround speakers, and a subwoofer. Of course, a surround system can include even more components such as 7.1 or 7.2 channels. For the latest movies and games with Dolby Atmos or DTS:X soundtracks, you will need a 7.1.2 or a 7.1.4 surround sound system.
With the technological advances in the last few years, it is not surprising that more manufacturers are designing and making smart and wireless audio systems for home use. These types of surround sound systems eliminate or at least limit the need for the use of cables protruding throughout the entire room. Also, they allow for limitless flexibility when it comes to placement of the different components of the wireless surround sound system.
The wireless surround sound systems use either Bluetooth connectivity or Wi-Fi connectivity or have both. Some will connect to your home Wi-Fi network while others create their own 5GHz wireless network which doesn’t interfere with your home internet network.
Wi-Fi wireless surround sound systems, in general, are more expensive than Bluetooth based ones, and they cannot be paired with Bluetooth enabled devices. But on the other hand, most of them have their own apps that allow for seamless streaming from mobile and other connected devices, plus Wi-Fi has a larger range, so this is the better option for larger rooms or multi-room setups.
Bluetooth sound systems are easier to set up, and pair and are perfect for smaller rooms or for those of you who don’t want to be bothered with more complicated setups and connections. They are less expensive than Wi-Fi systems too.
The problem with most of these wireless surround sound systems is that they are not completely wireless. They do need to be connected with a cable to the TV or to other sources, and some of them do require to be plugged in into power outlets. The soundbars are always wired, and they transmit the signal to the wireless speakers and subwoofers via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
Still, even though they are not entirely wire-free, the sound systems we have picked will seriously limit the number of cables running through your room and the number of wires you will need to connect in order to set up your home movie theater surround sound system, so they are worth investing in.
We have picked the best Bluetooth and Wi-Fi wireless surround sound systems that are currently available on the market for you. Hopefully, you have managed to choose the one which will suit your needs perfectly.
With a wireless sound system like this, your home audio-visual entertainment center will become decluttered, free from all the audio cables, and will be much easier to set up and move around when you need to tweak the sound or move any furniture in the room.
Also, not only are all of our picks cable-free, but they all will provide you with the most immersive surround sound possible for such reasonably priced home audio systems.
With a setup like this, you will lower the cost of having to buy each unit separately, and save time and effort for having to set it up and tweak it.
We wish you the best of luck when choosing the best wireless surround sound for your home, and wish you unforgettable moments when enjoying the amazingly clear, detailed and realistic surround sound in your room when you are playing your favorite game, listening to music or watching a movie or a sports game! Get ready to become a central part of the action with one of these fantastic sound systems!