Are you looking for a way to keep your mischievous pup from digging under, jumping over, or otherwise escaping through the fence of your backyard? Do you want to keep your dog from digging up your pretty flowers in the garden or jumping in the pool?
Or you don’t have a fence for financial, aesthetic, or other reasons but want to let your four-legged friends roam around safely? Then a wireless dog fence is probably the most suitable solution for you.
We have reviewed a wide variety of completely wireless and hybrid wireless dog fences for you and have come up with the ultimate, safest, and most reliable ones on the market right now.
Our list includes dog containment systems of all types – with GPS, radio signals, underground wires, with training capabilities, and other features.
We have chosen systems that are suitable for all kinds of dogs – large, small, timid, or stubborn, so hopefully, you can find the one which will fit your needs perfectly.
Wireless Dog Fence
Read on to find out more about our top picks and why you should consider investing in a good quality wireless dog fence for your needs.
Garmin is one of the leading companies employing GPS technologies, and the Alpha 100 TT is no exception to this tendency.
The GPS dog collar is versatile and can be used both as a wireless dog fence, as a tracking and locating system for the dog, as well as for training it via the Tri-Tronics dog training technology.
The system is capable of tracking up to 20 dogs via a very precise GPS and GLONASS satellite tracking system.
The range of the wireless dog fence is up to 9 miles.
The bundle includes a handheld remote, which has a large 3 inch TFT touchscreen display where you can easily track the exact location of your dog, and which you can use to set up the safe perimeter where you want to confine the canine.
If the dog passes through the virtual boundaries of the wireless dog fence, the handheld will alert you immediately and will transmit a signal for recall to the dog’s collar.
The GPS tracking system works in real-time and updates the status every 5 seconds, so you will have a clear idea of the location of your canine friend at all times, without letting it wander away.
You can also use the nifty features of the Garmin Alpha 100 TT GPS wireless dog fence system to track and log the distance covered by the dog as well as its speed.
It comes with TOP US 100K maps preloaded in the handheld device, so no matter where you go with your pup, you will always have an accurate map of the area.
You can set the alert and training system to transmit momentary or continuous stimulation whenever you need to. Both can be adjusted to settings from 1 to 18 in intensity, depending on your dog’s size, breed, and temperament.
The system also allows you to transmit non-shock alerts to your dog, including a recall sound or vibrations.
Both the collar and the handheld can work up to 40 hours per charge. The collar itself has a 1-inch strap and can be fitted with either a 5 or an extended 13-inch antenna.
You can easily set up the GPS tracking and wireless dog fence system on your laptop or another device, and you feel more comfortable using a larger display.
This reliable wireless dog fence, GPS, and training collar bundle by Garmin is the greatest one you can buy in 2021 and will help ensure peace of mind that you know the whereabouts of your pup at all times.
The Garmin Alpha 100 TT 15 Mini is expandable to up to 20 canines and has a range of up to 4 miles.
You can view the area via the accurate TOPO US 100k maps, which are pre-loaded in the system on the 3-inch color TFT display of the handheld unit.
Thanks to the pre-integrated compass and barometric altimeter, you can easily track the activity of your dog, measure the distance it has passed, its speed, direction and receive alerts any time the dog is on-point or treed if you are out hunting with your four-legged companion.
The wireless dog fence is straightforward to set via the touchscreen on the handheld and the maps, which are already available in the system. Just adjust the virtual boundaries with your fingers via the touchscreen, and you will have a completely wireless fence to know that your pet is safe at all times.
In case the dog happens to stray away from them, the Alpha 100 TT 15 handheld will immediately alert you and will send out a recall to the dog’s collar.
You can choose whether you want your dog to receive a sound, a vibration, or momentary or continuous stimulation when it leaves the perimeter you have set up. You can also adjust the stimulation from low to high – from 1 to 18.
So, with a GPS locating, tracking, training, and logging GPS system like this, you will be able to set up a reliable wireless dog fence anywhere and at any time, without the need to physically place wires or build a fence.
The collar and handheld are powered by Lithium-ion batteries and can work continuously for up to 20 hours per charge. The system can be charged via USB, so you can charge them on the go as well.
This is definitely the most versatile and effective, completely wireless dog fence for small dogs that money can buy in 2021.
Best budget-friendly option
The budget-friendly option is an affordable wireless dog fence that doesn’t even require access to the Internet. This is an inexpensive GPS collar that will allow you to locate and track your pet, and the system will even allow you to speak to the pet remotely.
The collar itself is has a battery life of up to 3 days and is completely waterproof. The GPS signal can even be traced in densely wooded areas and through different obstacles.
This Pet Tracker works with T-Mobile, but you can control the dog via any Android or iOS smartphone or tablet.
The collar is fitted with a free SIM card, and you will need to pay just $5 per month to subscribe to the service and use it.
Through the smart app, you can easily set up virtual boundaries and a safe zone for your pet, which will act as a wireless dog fence. If the dog leaves the perimeter, you will immediately receive a notification on your mobile device.
You can keep track of your pet wherever it happens to be within the US, where there is T-Mobile coverage.
You can also use the app to speak to your fur baby directly. You can talk to your dog when you are not home or if it happens to be lost or hiding somewhere so you can comfort it or recall it back home.
The manufacturers suggest that the system can even be used to monitor young children or elderly people with dementia or other problems, so you can keep an eye on your loved ones at all times and talk to them whenever you need to.
Overall, this wireless dog fence GPS system is the most affordable and one of the most convenient ones you can find in 2021 as it doesn’t require a separate handheld device or a connection to the Internet – just the collar and your smartphone or tablet.
Our other top picks for fully wireless dog fences for 2021
If you need a portable wireless dog fence without any unsightly poles or wires to bury, which is suitable for medium and large-sized dogs, you should seriously consider the PetSafe PIF 300 wireless fence.
- It is perfect for traveling, camping, or when visiting guests as it is completely wireless.
- This reasonably priced package includes the components for the fence as well as an extra pack of batteries.
- The wireless dog fence has a coverage of about 180 feet in diameter (half an acre)
- The portable radio transmitter can be used wirelessly or plugged into a power source.
- There are 5 levels of correction for the dog when it crosses the set boundaries, or you can opt for a pain-free tone warning mode only.
- The dog will receive a warning signal as it approaches the set boundaries which will stop if it turns back or after 33 seconds.
- There are no wires required, so the system is easy to set up and is portable.
- The area of containment can be increased if you purchase additional IF100 transmitters.
- The weight of the transmitter is less than 6 lbs.
- The collars are waterproof and suitable for medium and large dog breeds.
- Batteries will last for 2 months or more.
If you like to go camping, travel, or spending time outdoors with your pups, this fully wireless portable system is one of the finest completely wireless dog fences to choose to make your virtual dog yard.
- The transmitter is very light (4.2 lbs.) and compact, and there is no wiring required, so it can be set up anywhere you go.
- The wireless fence can cover an area of ¾ acres, and the optimal radio transmitter radius is 105 feet.
- The receiver collars are rechargeable and will charge fully for just 2-3 hours.
- The system is available for all kinds of dogs – 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 dogs as well as for 2 or more large or stubborn dogs.
- The collars are designed to be comfortable for the canines.
- The system has 5 levels of static correction and a tone-only mode to recall the dogs and prevent them from straying away from the perimeter.
- The collars are suitable for dogs over 5 lbs. and with neck sizes of 6 to 23 inches.
- Most parts of the system are waterproof so you can use them outdoors in all kinds of weather.
The top invisible hybrid wireless dog fences for 2021
There are many excellent wireless dog fences that do require that you set up underground wiring but will still wirelessly sense and restrain your dog from passing through the boundaries and leaving the safe zone you have set up for it.
Here are the leading of these electronic wireless dog fences for 2021
This top of the line wireless dog fence is available for 1 to 5 dogs, and for perimeters with a length of 500 up to 2500 feet.
- The wireless dog fence and the transmitter has a capacity of up to 25 acres of land where your dog can roam safely.
- You can pick a kit with 500’, 1000’, 1500’, 2000’, 2500’ of eXtreme Dog Fence Wire which is made of heavy-duty 14 gauge wire with a copper core and coated with a durable polyurethane coating, rated for direct burying in the ground, and UV resistant.
- The wire has temperature check features and will keep it in place and stable even when the weather and temperature changes abruptly.
- It also has a wire check feature, which will compensate for any problems in the wiring by increasing the signal automatically if a problem is detected.
- The 12x Battery Check will monitor the status of the batteries on the collars every 2 hours.
- The system can have its frequency encoded so as to avoid interference from neighboring wireless dog fences.
- The collar is waterproof and can be submerged in the water safely, so even if your dog is wet, it will still work and keep it safely within the boundaries you have set.
- The kit includes a digital transmitter, collar receivers (depending on the number you have ordered), 14 Gauge heavy duty wire for the boundary, training flags, 10 staples, and splice kits.
- It is sold with a 5-year warranty on the electronics and a lifetime warranty on the wire.
- Made in the USA and with 24/7 customer care and technical support available
- You will get 2 sets of medium and large steel contact points as well as 1 set of rubber contact covers per collar received
- The set comes with the batteries needed for the receivers.
This is the Standard Grade kit from the Second Generation of Extreme Dog Fence, which is less expensive than the professional one, and yet is still an excellent and reliable wireless dog fencing system.
- It comes in sets for 1 to 5 dogs but can be expanded to an unlimited number of dogs.
- It is available with standard grade fence wiring of 1000’, 1500’, 2000’ and 2500.’
- The collar is waterproof and is submersible in water up to 10’ deep
- The receiver is very compact and weighs only 1.1oz, which is suitable even for the smallest dogs weighing 8 lbs. or more
- The kit includes the collar receivers along with batteries for them, as well as medium and large steel contacts and rubber covers for each collar
- The bundle also includes the wiring, the digital transmitter, spices, and training flags
- The transmitter has a coverage of up to 25 acres
- The wiring used is 20 gauge high tensile with a protective jacket
- The system has Temp Check – to keep the wiring and the virtual fence stable even in sudden temperature changes
- Wire Check will ensure that the signal is not lost even if there is damage somewhere in the wiring
- 12x Battery check will monitor the status of the batteries in the collar of the dog every 2 hours
- Frequency encoding will allow you to adjust the frequency of your wireless dog fence so that it doesn’t interfere with the frequencies of neighboring fences or other devices
- The system is sold with a 1-year warranty for the electronics and a 2-year warranty for the wiring
- It is made in the USA
This portable hybrid wireless dog fence by SportDOG is a reliable containment system that will keep your dogs within an area of up to 1 1/3 acres and can be expanded to up to 100 acres, and will work for an unlimited amount of dogs.
- A low battery indicator combined with an anti-linger feature will ensure that the battery doesn’t run down because the dog is close to the fence or will prompt you to replace the battery.
- The system has 4 levels of static stimulation, so you can adjust it to your dog’s size and temperament.
- The receiver will emit a warning sound when the dog approaches the virtual fence, and only if it passes the boundary will static stimulation be emitted.
- No deep digging or construction work is required because the system is easy to install and is portable.
- The collar receiver is waterproof.
- The system works for all dogs weighing 10 lbs. or more.
- The replaceable 9V battery lasts for 6-12 months.
- The kit includes a 1000’ wire, which is easy to install and is made of 20 Gauge sturdy boundary wire, and it is expandable up to 100 acres.
- It also includes 100 flags for visual training of the dog, which will cover 1 1/3 acres.
- The transmitter is wall mountable and has a lightning protector to protect it from power surges and lightning strikes.
- A wire break alarm will alert if you if there is damage to the wiring.
If you are the owner of a particularly stubborn dog that fails to come when called and often wanders off, the PetSafe Stubborn Dog wireless dog fence could be the solution to your problems and can help keep your pet safe and nearby.
- The collar is designed for hard to train dogs and has 3 types of warnings and corrections – sound, vibration and static correction
- The level of correction can be adjusted from 1 to 4 depending on the size and temperament of the pup
- The collars are completely waterproof
- The system works for dogs which are at least 8 lbs. and up or have a neck size of 6 to 28 inches
- The coverage of the fence is up to 1/3 acres
- The set includes 500 ft. wire, the transmitter, power adapter, a receiver collar with a 9V battery, 50 training flags, a test light tool, gel fit capsules, and wire nuts as well as instructions for installation and training guides
- There is a low battery indicator to warn you when it is time to replace them
- It can work for multiple dogs and cats including hearing impaired animals (thanks to the vibrations)
- The product has a 1-year warranty and is very affordable
- The system allows for a larger play area and boundless protection
- The collar charges for just 2-3 hours and can work for up to 3 weeks per charge
- The collar is waterproof
- You can adjust the static correction or the tone alert to levels from 1 to 5
- It is suitable for dogs or cats weighing minimum 5 lbs. and with neck sizes from 6 to 26 inches
- It offers coverage of 1/3 acres and can be expanded up to 10 acres
- Compatible with Pawz Away pet barriers by PetSafe
- You can create off-limit areas such as flower or veggie gardens, pools and others
- Easy installation of the wire and flags
- It is portable so you can take it when going to your summer house or on vacation
- You can control an unlimited number of dogs or cats if you buy additional collars
- It comes with a comfortable, IPX7 waterproof and rechargeable dog collar
- The collar is adjustable and suitable for small, medium, and large dogs weighing from 11 to 155 lbs. with a neck size from 8 to 27 inches
- The receiver on the collar will sound an audio alert as the dog approaches the boundaries, and if it doesn’t turn back and passes them a static correction will be transmitted
- You can use the collar like a dog training collar as well to curb nuisance behavior and teach your dog to obey your commands
- The static correction for the wireless dog fence can be adjusted to 3 levels
- The correctional collar can be adjusted to up to 10 levels of static correction and vibrations
- The transmitter can be mounted on the wall or a door
- The wires can be set above or under the ground depending on your preferences
- The wires are made of robust copper, so they are safe from being run over, chewed or dug up
- You can use the remote to train up to 3 dogs at the same time
- The handheld will warn you which dog you are about to shock so that there are no accidents if you are training more than one pup
- The package includes a rechargeable and completely waterproof receiver, 492 feet of 20 Gauge wire, a wall-mounted transmitter, a double split USB cable for charging and one for power, 2 short and 2 long contact points for the collar, a test light, a spanner, 50 training flags
- Sold at a great price and with a 12-month warranty
This compact wireless dog fence is an excellent option if you like traveling or camping with your dogs, or if you want an easy to set up, portable fence to keep your pets safe. It sets up quickly and easily and will ensure that your dog has a secured area to roam and play.
- The wireless fence creates a circular boundary with an area of up to ¾ acres
- The wireless transmitter comes with a power adaptor, so it needs to be plugged-in to work
- The coverage is from 22 to 150 feet in all directions from the transmitter
- It doesn’t require time-consuming and energy-consuming burying of wires to be set up
- It offers 5 levels of static and 1 tone only correction modes
- The static-free reentry will allow your pet back into the perimeter of the fence without being corrected
- The included PetSafe Stay and Play wireless receiver collar is rechargeable and can be adjusted to fit the necks of dogs from 6 to 28 inches
- Suitable for pups which are 5 lbs. or more, and are any age
- You can also use a collar of your choice with the receiver
- The collar comes with short and with long contact points, depending on the coat length and type
- The collar is waterproof
- Thanks to its portability, you can take the fence with you camping, traveling or if you move homes
- You can add other transmitters to increase the perimeter of the wireless fence
- You can add more receiver collars if you have more than 1 dog
- The set includes 50 training flags
- Also included are: a charger for the collar, a test light tool, a contact point wrench and a user’s manual
- It can be set up in 1-2 hours
- The product is backed by a 1-year warranty
Related: Safe Shock Collars For Dogs
When is it time to buy a wireless dog fence?
If you do not have a physical fence for your yard or other outdoor space for financial, aesthetic, regulatory, or other reasons, a wireless dog fence is the most perfect and most inexpensive solution to allow your dogs to play outdoors without straying away or running into traffic or other dangerous situations.
Even if you have an actual fence, you may find that some clever canines can find their way out through digging or jumping over it. With a good quality wireless dog fence, you will quickly teach your beloved pets that they need to stay within the set boundaries.
Overall, buying and setting up a wireless dog fence is much cheaper than actually building a reliable physical fence around your home. Plus, if you don’t want to ruin your view, or if your community has regulations about the types of fences being installed or built, a wireless dog containment system is the perfect solution for you.
Some of the wireless fences we have listed are literally wireless, so you won’t need to do any digging and installing at all. These have the benefit of being portable, so you can take them with you wherever you decide to go with your four-legged friends.
Others which have wires are a great option if you have a non-standard shaped yard, or if you want to create safe zones in your outdoor space to keep the dog out of the flowers, the pool or elsewhere because wires are flexible and can be placed wherever you want them to be.
The good news is that the products we have picked are tested and are safe for the animals when used correctly. They also come with flags signaling the dog where the boundaries are. With just a few attempts to cross the set virtual boundaries, the static correction will quickly teach the pups to stay away from the flags and the areas.
The good news is that unlike with training collars, you don’t need to sit with the handheld transmitter and administer shocks or tonal and vibrating recalls, because the fence systems will do that automatically.
Some of the systems are also perfect for tracking your dogs via GPS when you go outdoors, or if they happen to get lost.
Others can be used as both wireless dog fences and as training collars, which makes them versatile and even more useful if your pup is a mischievous one.
One thing you need to remember is that the wireless dog fence will not protect your pets from potential intruders like other dogs or wild animals. And also, you should never use the static correction for punitive reasons or for no reason at all, because this can cause physical and psychological trauma to the dog and have an adverse effect rather than a disciplinary one.
The features to look for in a wireless dog fence
Here are the most important features to look for when choosing the most suitable wireless dog fence for your needs and for your dog:
Portability and mobility
If you are an active family and love camping, fishing, hiking, and vacationing, you should opt for a mobile wireless dog fence like the ones we have picked for you in the completely wireless solutions sections at the beginning of the article.
These systems can easily be carried around with you when you are going anywhere, unlike the ones with in-ground wiring, which are much harder to move and install at a whim.
On the other hand, if you are not planning on taking the system with you and need a reliable wireless dog fence for your outdoor space around your home, one of the electric systems with wires buried in the ground will suit you perfectly well.
You need to make sure that the wireless dog fence is durable because the safety of your dog depends on this. Look for systems that have robust, waterproof collars. This will keep the receivers working at all times, no matter the weather, or if the dog has decided to go for a swim. It will also stay safe for the dog and won’t endanger the animal by getting it shocked accidentally due to damage.
As you can see from our list, the perimeters of the coverage of the wireless fences vary quite a lot. You should pick the one which will provide the coverage you need. Overpaying for added wires and flags can be useless, but underpaying for a system that doesn’t provide enough coverage is pointless too.
Of course, you need to set a budget which you are ready to pay for your wireless dog fence and stick to it if you want to be happy with your purchase. There are wireless dog fences in all price ranges. Some can cost as low as $130-150, and others can reach a price of over a thousand and more dollars.
The GPS wireless dog fences by Garmin can be more expensive, but they are completely mobile and come with preloaded maps, GPS and satellite tracking, and various other features that are useful for locating your pet.
Think about the quality of the wireless dog fence when you are purchasing it, because it can be the product that will literally save your dog’s life one day, so make sure you invest wisely in a reliable and durable fence.
The correction types and levels
Most of the wireless dog fences use shock stimulus for containing the dog, and mostly to teach the dog to stay within the set boundaries. In most cases, the dog will learn fairly quickly how to recognize the warning sound or vibration signal before reaching the boundary and also to recognize the flags which you have set up as a reminder. This means that your dog won’t need to be shocked all of the time.
Still, you will need to use this type of correction initially in order to teach the dog to react to the signals, so make sure you pick a system that has adjustable levels, suitable for the type of dog you have. Small dogs and more timid dogs require much less stimulation than large and stubborn ones.
Hybrid or wireless fences?
Hybrid fences usually cost less than completely wireless ones, but they require more work and possibly investments for installation than the fully wireless ones. The wireless solutions use a transmitter that emits a radio signal and sends a warning or corrective stimulation to the dog when it reaches the set perimeter. They are more portable, easy to install, and you can take them with you wherever you want.
Combined wireless fences and training collars
Some of the wireless dog fences in our list can be used both to keep the dogs in the safe space set by you as well as for training, recalling, and tracking the dogs. If you have a pup that requires both training and you can also use a wireless fence to keep it confined and safe, then buying a combination system is the most cost-efficient solution.
It is always a good idea to pick a system that will monitor the status of the batteries of the receiver as well as the transmitter so that you don’t accidentally leave them without batteries and endanger the dog’s life.
The safety factor
Always carefully read the setup and training instructions of your wireless dog fence before setting it up and using it. Even though the static used in the excellent quality wireless confining systems is mild and safe, it still is not a pleasant experience for the dog, and its use should be stopped as soon as the dog learns to stay within the boundaries of the fence.
Keep in mind that not all dogs respond well to static correction, and in some cases the animal may get so stressed and frightened that it will run away or hide instead of responding to the recall signal, so be sure that you carefully monitor the reaction of your dog, adjust the correction levels accordingly and stop using it if it is not showing a positive effect.
If the system is used properly, it is perfectly safe and will keep your pet from wandering out in the wilderness or on the busy roads. The wireless dog fence can help you save a lot of money as well rest assured that your beloved dog is well and is nearby at all times.
- The Best Rain Boots for Toddlers to Keep Kids Warm and Dry - April 24, 2021
- 5 Best Kids Sleeping Bags for Great Outdoors Adventures - April 23, 2021
- The 5 Best UV Sterilizer Freshwater Aquarium in 2021 – Reviews & Buying Guide - April 23, 2021