If you have a smoker in your home, or you have pets which tend to leave odors around the house, you can easily resolve this problem by purchasing and using a good quality efficient air purifier for whole homes like our top favorite for 2019 – the pureAir 3000.
Not only will the nasty smells b gone, but also so will all of the airborne allergens, the dust, VOCs, the fungus, mold, mildew, pet hair and dander, fumes, gases, germs, viruses and bacteria and all other potentially harmful particles from the air that you breathe.
These ingenious devices are perfect for households with allergic people, asthmatics, or people with weakened immune systems or other underlying health problems.
A whole house air purifier will let you rest assured that you and your family breathe the healthiest and freshest air possible, no matter where you live and what the circumstances are.
Read on to find out which the best air purifiers for whole homes for 2019 are.
The pureAir 3000 is our absolute favorite choice for the best air purifier for whole homes for 2019. This powerful air purifying device can efficiently clean the air as well as the surfaces throughout the entire house. It has a capacity of purifying the air from all of the dust, allergens, pollutants, VOCs, fumes, carbon monoxide, mold spores, fungus, germs, viruses, smoke and smells in homes of up to 3,000 square feet.
The pureAir 3000 is designed by GreenTech Environmental to mimic the natural way in which nature cleans the air we breathe. The device will suck in and filter and purify all of the stale and polluted air in your home and will transform it into fresh, healthy and allergen-free air instead.
You will be amazed at just how fresh the air will be once you start using this whole-home air purifier, and it does not release any toxic or artificial fragrances or fresheners.
The pureAir 3000 will also effectively eliminate viruses, mold spores, mildew and bacteria from the air, and will remove any unpleasant odors like smoke, cooking or pet smells from the air.
The ionizer of the unit helps the allergens in the air to clump up together and fall to the ground, where they can easily and efficiently be swept in and removed by the HVAC filter in your home.
The device is exceptionally easy to set up and to use and is only 12 x 9 x 12.2 inches in size and weighs a mere 11 lbs.
Once you set up this air purifying device in your home, you will find that breathing will be easier and that you will be healthier. If you have allergic people or people suffering from asthma or other respiratory problems, as well as small children or elderly family members with weaker immune systems, a whole house air purifier like the pureAir 3000 is a must.
It is also a perfect solution for homes where there are smokers or pets, as it will eliminate the smell and remove the harmful secondary smoker as well.
So, overall, if you are shopping for the best air purifier for the whole home, the pureAir 3000 is possibly the best one money can buy right now!
This powerful and smart air purifier for whole homes by Airmega is our next favorite for 2019. The Coway Airmega 400 can clean the air twice every hour for homes and areas up to 1,560 square feet.
The purifier has an efficient Airmega Max2 filter which combines an activated carbon filter and a True HEPA filter, which together remove all airborne allergens, germs, harmful pollutants, fume, VOCs, and viruses from the air in the house. It will also efficiently remove any smoke or nasty smells from your home too.
The unit sucks in the ambient air from both sides of the unit and releases the filtered and purified air from the top for faster and more efficient operation.
The air purifying unit also has a pre-filter which is washable and reusable and helps trap the larger dust and other airborne particles.
Thanks to its smart sensor, the Conway Airmega will keep you informed of the state of the air in your home in real time. You can easily see whether the air you are breathing is clean and safe, or whether it is polluted via the colorful LED rings on the whole-home air purifier which will change colors accordingly.
The unit has five fan modes: low, medium, high, sleep and smart. The purifier operates very quietly and will make a noise of up to only 43.2 dB when set at the high fan power mode.
The smart mode will automatically adjust the speed of the fan and the operation of the Conway Airmega 400 in accordance with the state of the air in the house. When higher pollution levels are detected, the smart air purifier for whole homes will boost the fan speed in order to clean up the air faster. If low pollution is detected, the fan will automatically slow down.
This smart air purifier has a nifty timer which can be set for 1, 2, 4 or 8 hours. It also has filter indicators which will let you know when it is time to wash the pre-filter or replace the Max2 filter.
The manufacturer sells the unit with a 1-year warranty for internal malfunctions and a 5-year warranty for the electronics and the motor of the air purifier.
The Conway Airmega 400 is also available for smaller homes of up to 1,256 square feet as well.
The device is Energy Star certified.
The size of the unit is 14.8 x 22.9 x 24.8 inches, and it weighs 24.7 lbs.
And last but not least, this air purifying device has a modern and sleek design and in either white or silver-graphite colors, so you won’t need to sacrifice the aesthetics of your home in order to ensure that every single part of it has fresh and clean air to breathe.
Best budget-friendly option
The Alexapure 3049 Breeze air purifier for whole homes is an affordable way to ensure that the air in your apartment or house which is up to 800 square feet is perfectly clean, fresh and safe to breathe.
The device has a 4-stage filtering system, which includes a pre-filter for the larger particles like hair, dust and pollen, a HEPA filter which captures up to 99.97% of the allergens and pollutants from the air, a carbon filter which helps eliminate smoke, cooking or pet odors, and an Ion Cluster technology to make any remaining allergens and airborne pollutants fall to the ground and stay out of the air and it doesn’t emit any harmful ozone byproducts.
The device is energy efficient and will filter the air in the area once every hour, and once in every 12 minutes if used in rooms or areas of up to 120 square feet.
The CADR rating for the air purifier is 315 m3/h.
It works quietly and has a maximum noise level of just 23 dB, so you can leave it on even when you and your family are sleeping. The silent mode is as quiet as any device can get and is only 16dB.
The size of the Alexapure 3049 Breeze is 7 x 13.5 x 21.5 inches and is 12.2 lbs., so it doesn’t take up too much space and is easy to move around the house.
The only downside of this inexpensive air purifier is that it is not suitable for larger homes (over 800 square feet) but otherwise it is an excellent, easy to use and maintain and reasonably priced device which will help you breathe easier and stay safe from allergy or asthma triggers, viruses and other potential health problems caused by polluted air.
Related: The Best Air Purifier for 2019
The rest of the best air purifiers for whole homes
The Aprilaire 2410 is among the most cost-efficient and effective air purifiers for furnaces. It can clean the air 30 times more efficiently than regular furnace filters and is a perfect product to have if someone at home has dust, pet or pollen allergies or asthma.
- Furnace mounted air purifier
- Sold at a very reasonable price
- Easy to set up and maintain
- The filters need to be replaced only once a year or once per two years
- It is able to trap up to 98% of the airborne particles in the air
- It can cover your entire home HVAC system
- The filter is a genuine Aprilaire Air Filter Max
- It doesn’t produce ozone
- The device doesn’t need to be plugged in or use any other power source to work
- It is 28.2 x 17.8 x 6.8 inches in size and weighs 17 lbs.
The Alen BreatheSmart Classic air purifier for whole homes is a powerful air filtering device with a capacity to cover homes and areas up to 1,100 square feet and filter all of the air completely every 30 minutes.
- An air purifying capacity for areas of up to 1,100 square feet
- Filters all of the air every 30 minutes
- Excellent for people with asthma, hay fever or dust or pet allergies
- The HEPA pure filter can capture up to 99.97% of all airborne particles with a size as small as 0.3 microns
- The BreatheSmart removes dust from the air and the surfaces
- The Laser Smart sensor detects particles in the air as small as the microscopic 0.3 microns
- An indicator light will inform you of the air quality in real time
- A nifty Auto Mode allows for the purifier to adjust its speed and power in accordance with the level of pollution in the air
- It is available with over 10 designer panel options, so you can pick the design which will suit your décor and your taste best
- The purifier is available in different variants including: for allergies and dust, for mold and bacteria, for pet dander and odor and for smoke and chemicals
- The sleep mode is whisper quiet and turns all of the lights on the unit off for undisturbed sleep, working as a white noise sleep machine
- It has an ozone-free ionizer which clumps the airborne particles together making it easier for the purifier to suck them in and trap them inside the filters
- You can turn the ionizer on or off, according to your preferences
- It is energy efficient and has a built-in timer to further save energy
- The stale air is pulled in from the sides of the purifier and the filtered and fresh air is released from its top for better circulation
- It has a filter life and replacement indicator light
- You can switch the ring and light on or off
- The device has an easy lift handle on the back so you can carry it easily
- The size of the air purifier is 10 x 17.8 x 26.8 inches, and it weighs 21 lbs.
- It is sold with a lifetime warranty
If you want an air purifier which you can mount in the return air duct of your home HVAC system, the Honeywell F100F2010 is another inexpensive and yet highly efficient air purifier for your whole home to consider buying.
- A rugged zinc coated and roll formed cabinet which is easy to mount in the return air duct of the HVAC system and is corrosion resistant, plus it can support the weight of the evaporator coil and the residential furnace
- Its size is 18 x 6 x 26 inches and it weighs only 2 lbs.
- The air purifier has a MERV 11 filter which will capture and trap even microscopic airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns
- It covers the entire HVAC system so it can clean a home of all sizes
- The unit is very easy to mount in any return-air duct
- It is compatible with all kinds of furnaces including oil, gas or forced air, as well as with compressor cooling of up to 5 tons
- It doesn’t require any wiring and does not need electrical power to function properly and efficiently
- The filter needs to be replaced every 6 to 12 months depending on the quality of the air and the usage
- The device won’t interrupt the air flow in the HVAC system of your home
- The filter is easy to replace
This whole house air purifier and sanitizer is a superb option for those of you looking for a way to safely remove any cigarette smoke, cooking or pet smells, smog or exhaust fumes from the entire house for a safer and cleaner environment at home.
- The purifier provides 6 stages of filtrations including: Ozone Sanitizing for odor elimination, a Negative Ionizer for to cluster up and drop the airborne particles to the ground, a UV filtration system for killing germs, bacteria and viruses, a Photocatalytic filter for further reducing the germs, bacteria and viruses from the air, a HEPA filter which captures the microscopic airborne pollutants, and a Pre-filter technology which captures the large particles and increases the life of the filter
- It has a coverage of areas up to 3,000 square feet
- Designed with a stylish classic natural hardwood cabinet
- Very easy to maintain and keep clean
- It operates quietly at all times
- It has heavy duty ozone sanitizing ceramic plates and an ionizer in front of the fan
- The device is excellent for removing cigarette smoke, residual odors in furniture and carpeting, cooking smells, pet odors, chemical and paint fumes, allergens, smog, exhaust fumes, pollen, mold spores, mildew, fungus, bacteria and all organic odors from the home
- The air purifier is sold with a 3-in-1 filter pack, two ceramic ozone plates, and a replacement fuse
- The size of the unit is 9 x 8.2 x 12.5 inches, and its weight is 18 lbs.
If you are looking for a highly efficient air purifier for a smaller apartment or home, the Oransi Max could be the best option for you.
- It has a capacity of purifying the air in areas up to 600 square feet
- A 3-stage filtration system including a pre-filter for the larger particles, a HEPA filter for the microscopic ones and an activated carbon filter for removal of gases and odors
- Each filter will last for 12 months, and the replacement filters are sold in convenient packs
- The filter replacement indicators will inform you when it is time to replace each one
- It has 4 fan speed settings and an Auto mode
- The V-Seal around the filters prevents un-purified air to leak out
- It has a dust and gas sensor
- The timer can be set from 1 to 12 hours
- An Air quality monitor will keep track of the air quality
- Energy Star certified device
- Very simple installation, all you need to do is plug it in and start using the purifier
- The filter is easy to access and replace
- User-friendly interface and controls
- The smart sensor will check the quality of the air in the house and will adjust the fan speed accordingly in Auto mode
- A very quiet operation of up to 53dB at the highest power setting
- Efficient in removing dust, pet dander, mold, pollen, and other airborne allergens
- Portable and easy to move around the house
- The size of the device is 17 x 22 x 8 inches, and its weight is 18.5 lbs.
- Backed by a 10-year warranty
If you love our top favorite air purifier for whole homes but want something even more powerful for your home, you may want to try out the top of the line GT3000 Professional Grade Advanced air purifier by GreenTech Environmental.
- The device uses technology from NASA to purify the air from pollen, smoke, pet dander, dust, odors, bacteria, and viruses
- It has a capacity to clean the air in areas of up to 3,000 square feet
- The unit can be adjusted to be used in areas as small as 250 square feet and up to 3,000 square feet by choosing between normal and high modes
- The filter is washable, which means you will save money from buying replacement filters
- It consumes very little power, so you can run it continuously without paying huge electricity bills
- It will sanitize not only the air but everything else in the house and will reduce your risk of allergic reactions, asthma attacks, flu, colds or other viruses
- It can eliminate bacteria like E-coli, Listeria, Candida, Salmonella even if they are embedded in the furniture, carpets or walls
- The purifier uses 4 different advanced technologies for air purification including: photocatalytic oxidation, needlepoint ionization, electrostatic filtration, and scalable purification
- The device is very compact – only 12 x 9 x 12.2 inches, and weighs 11 lbs.
- Its design is aesthetically pleasing
- It has a remote control for even easier setup and adjustments
- The lights on the unit are dimmable and can be completely turned off
- It is sold with a 1-year warranty
- The air purifier can be used around the world as it works with all power voltage standards
If you are looking for a powerful ozone generator which is able to sanitize and purify the air and furniture in your entire home even after a flood or fire, you should opt for the Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator.
- It is capable of producing over 6,000 mg of ozone
- The fan is large enough to cover areas and homes of up to 4,000 square feet
- This is an industrial/commercial grade ozone generator
- It doesn’t have filters which need to be replaced so the maintenance is very easy and is free
- You can use the device anywhere because it is portable and doesn’t have a large footprint
- It is capable of removing all kinds of odors including tobacco smoke, pet odors, cooking smells, organic odors, chemical and other odors from furniture or carpeting, smoke damage, water damage and paint or cleaning odors, to mention a few
- It can help stop the growth of and eliminate mildew, mold or fungus in your home
- The device is very reasonably priced and has ultra-low energy usage
- The casing is made of industrial grade steel, so the air purifier will last through a lot of wear and tear
- The timer is easy to set and there is a hold function as well so you can set the device to work while you and your family and pets are out of the house
- Its size is 6.8 x 8 x 5.8 inches and it weighs 5 lbs.
The Aprilaire 1610 is specially designed to be mounted in up-flow HVAC systems with either right or left returns.
- Built-in ductwork which makes mounting the air purifier much easier and faster
- The return opening can be adjusted from 8 to 10 inches
- The housing has metal tabs which help hold the unit securely to the furnace or to the air handler which it is being installed for safety purposes
- The housing is very sturdy and durable
- It doesn’t require any wiring or electrical power
- The purifier works for HVAC systems with an air flow of up to 2,000 CFM
- It has a MERV 11 filter but can work with a MERV 13 filter for further air purification
- The device doesn’t affect or restrict the air flow in the system
- The filter lasts for up to 1 year
- Filter replacement is easy and fast too
- The size is 16 x 25 inches, and its weight is 24 lbs.
What is a whole house air purifier?
Air purifiers for whole homes are devices which are either connected to your existing HVAC system or are standalone units which are capable of filtering the air in the entire house or apartment.
The whole house air purifiers which are installed within the HVAC system do not require any power and clean and filter the air as it passes through the system when you are cooling or heating your home. The standalone air purifiers for whole homes do require to be plugged in and are portable, so you can move them from one room to another when necessary.
Whole home air purifiers are designed to be able to cover the entire area of your home, and to remove all air pollutants, such as dust, dust mites, pet hair or dander, germs, viruses, mold spores, mildew, fungus, fumes, smoke, pollen, VOCs, odors and all other airborne pollutants flying in the air in your home.
The idea is to minimize or eliminate the allergens or other harmful pollutants which can cause adverse reactions in people with allergies, asthma, weak immune systems, as well as ensure that you and your family are breathing healthy, clean and fresh air at all times.
Should you buy an air purifier for the whole home?
An air purifier of this type is indispensable if you or a family member has a dust or pet allergy or suffer from hay fever, asthma, COPD or other respiratory problems.
Also, if you live in a heavily polluted area, a whole house air purifier can ensure that you will be breathing clean and healthy air when you are home.
Such air purifiers are also very useful for homes with pets, with smokers, with small children or with elderly people. These devices can successfully eliminate viruses and germs and bacteria, as well as harmful fumes, VOCs, carbon monoxide, mildew, mold, fungus and bad smells from the air.
A whole house air purifier will also save you money and space for having to purchase separate smaller ones for the separate rooms and areas in your home. If you decide to install an air purifier in your HVAC system you will not need to use up any space at all, and you won’t need to power it either.
Most of these devices are designed to last long and have filters which don’t need to be replaced as often as those of smaller air purifiers.
Most good quality air purifiers for whole homes can work 24/7 and usually, operate quietly. Many of the standalone plug-in air purifiers have timers so you can set them to work for a limited time as well.
All of our top picks for the plug-in variants have sensors and auto mode, which means that you can let these units do the thinking and the adjustment for you, as they will automatically turn up the speed when low-quality air is detected and will decrease the speed when the air is fresh and clean.
What kind of area coverage do they provide?
The different types and models of air purifiers for entire homes offer different coverage. They are much more powerful than regular room air purifiers, and in some cases can clean the air efficiently in homes as large as 3,000-4,000 square feet and more.
A rule of the thumb is to choose a whole house air purifier which has a capacity which is slightly larger than the size of your home so that you can be sure that it will work effectively and will clean the air properly.
Some other performance metrics and terms to keep in mind
CFM – this is the capacity of the air purifier’s airflow in cubic feet per minute. The CFM will give you an idea about how many cubic feet the air purifier can clean per minute. The higher the CFM, the larger space it can clean. To figure out what CFM to look for, measure the size of your home, and choose a unit with a CFM equal to about 100 CFM per every 250 square feet.
MERV – this is the Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value used to determine the efficiency of a filter to trap airborne pollutants and particles. The higher the MERV rating is – the more efficient the filter is. MERV ratings start from 1 and reach up to 15, with MERV 16 being able to capture more than 95% of all airborne particles sized as small as 0.3 microns.
HEPA – High-Efficiency Particulate Air is an air filter which needs to meet the set standards and to remove up to 99.97% of airborne particles (in the USA according to ASME), and up to 99.95% (in Europe) from the air with the smallest particles trapped by the filter being as small as just 0.3 microns.
Features to look for when buying an air purifier for your whole home
You should look for the following features when you are shopping for a whole-home air purifier:
- Its coverage – choose a purifier which has a capacity slightly greater than the actual size of your home
- The filter type – choose the type of filter or filtering systems depending on your specific needs. HEPA filters are excellent for allergic people or those with respiratory problems, ozone generators are great if you want to sterilize the house and remove germs, viruses and other harmful pollutants or nasty odors, activated carbon filters are very efficient for removing smells and smoke, and pre-filters trap the pollen and larger airborne particles. MERV filters are rated by their ability to filter the air – the higher the number – the better the filtration.
- The air change rate – this is the number of times that the air purifier completely filters the air in the house per hour. It is a good idea to invest in a more powerful model so that you can use it at a lower speed and thus lower the energy consumption and the noise it makes.
- Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) is the amount of purified air which the purifier can deliver. The larger your home is – the higher the CADR should be if you want the air at home to be fresh at all times.
- Smart sensors and automatic mode – this is very useful if you want the air purifier to adjust itself in accordance with the quality of the air at home instead of having to adjust the settings manually and to keep monitoring the air quality yourself.
- Budget – of course, your set budget for an air purifier for whole homes is essential as well. The top of the line air purifiers in this range can be quite expensive, but there are budget-friendly options as well. Also, check how much the replacement filters cost and how often they will need to be replaced so that you can calculate this cost as well. Plus, look for energy saving units which will not add up too much to your electricity bill too.
Hopefully, you were able to find the best air purifier for the whole home from our list. We have included air purifiers for entire homes of all sizes, price ranges and types, so we are pretty sure that there is one in our top best list for just about everyone.
Whichever air purifier for whole homes you choose, you will be incredibly happy with the results as soon as you start using it. The nasty smells will be gone, the air will be much fresher and easier to breathe, you will stop suffering from allergic reactions or have difficulty breathing or sleeping, and all family members will be less prone to catching viruses like colds, flu, and others.
So, go ahead and make your home a much healthier and pleasant place to be with one of these excellent quality air purifiers for whole homes in our top 10 list for 2019!
Last update on 2019-05-25 at 20:43 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API