So you splurged out on a feature-packed ultra-big flat screen TV, but you find it quite disappointing that it doesn’t sound quite as good as the picture looks? This comes to no surprise because the flatter and slimmer the TV – the smaller the speakers are.
A good quality soundbar can vastly improve the sound and your overall home movie and TV watching experience!
There are quite a lot of soundbars being offered on the market with different great and not so great features and qualities. Vizio soundbars are one of the most popular ones thanks to their brilliant performance and reliability.
We have meticulously tested and reviewed a number of them, to come up with our list of the best 10 Vizio soundbars for 2020, as well some other alternatives which are definitely worthwhile of your attention too.
Related – The Best Soundbar of 2020
We have included soundbars for any budget. There are some high-end models which can be used as full surround sound systems, as well as some more budget-friendly ones which too can enhance the sound from the built-in speakers of your TV set.
Please, read on to find out what to expect from each one of these excellent soundbars, so that you can choose the best one to enhance your listening experience when you are watching a movie, playing a video game or watching any other content on your TV!
Our favorite Vizio soundbar is the SB2821-D6. It is only 28 inches long which is on the small side, but don’t let the size fool you. This soundbar will provide you with the richest, clearest and most spacious sound you have experienced when watching a movie, listening to music or enjoying your favorite show or other content on your TV.
Firstly, the Vizio SB2821-D6 is very easy to set up. You just need to connect it to the TV with the optical cable and plug in the soundbar and sub, and you are ready to go!
With this smallish sound bar from Vizio you will get a wide array of great sound effects to further enhance your listening and watching experience.
One of them is the TruSurround HD option which provides you with an incredibly realistic sound, and the TruVolume setting will ensure that the sound level stays consistent at all times.
It features a Dolby Digital sound, which as you probably know is the set standard for cinema, DVD, broadcast, streaming and Blu-ray, and which will provide you with unbelievable dramatic special dimensions and a superb listening experience.
You can also connect and pair Bluetooth devices which will work perfectly with this sound bar in a range of up to 20 feet.
With this wonderful device, you can listen to very loud sounds without any distortion. The sound will fill your room with both the bass and the treble sounding perfect and spacious.
The small wireless subwoofer further enhances the listening experience and will provide quite a respectable output.
Most of all, we love the fact that this sound bar is very reasonably priced, so you won’t have to break the bank to make your home viewing and listening experience perfect with it.
It features 2.1 audio channels and has a sound pressure level of 95 dB.
This is probably the best sound bar to pair with a TV sized 42 inches or more. It will fill your room with an amazing crystal clear sound, and you can always use it to seamlessly stream your favorite playlist or other audio from your mobile devices thanks to the Bluetooth feature.
The Vizio SB2821-D6 soundbar comes with a remote control, a wireless subwoofer, audio cables, and a wall mount bracket.
Overall, we must say that in 2020, this sound bar is the best one money can buy, especially considering its very affordable price!
Buy one now, and get ready for a listening experience like no other with this amazing sound bar from Vizio.
The Vizio S3820W-C0 2.0 Home Theater Sound Bar is the perfect addition to your home entertainment center if you have a small or medium-sized TV, and are craving for higher quality and more immersive sound.
– A 38-inch sоundbar which will fit perfectly under or beside a small or medium-sized TV
– It can be placed on a tabletop or be wall mounted
– A 98 dB output level
– Built-in Bluetooth for wireless connectivity to the TV, phones, or other compatible devices
– Two stereo speakers with a 60 to 19000 Hz frequency response
– 2 Deep Bass Technology full-range drivers for booming bass and to eliminate the need of a subwoofer
– It has Dolby Digital decoding, as well as DTS TruVolume and DTS TruSurround processing
– It has audio line-in, digital audio in (coaxial and optical), a subwoofer output, and RCA, RCA x 2, TOSLINK, and mini-phone stereo 3.5mm connectivity options
– The soundbar is Energy Star compliant
– The size of the soundbar is 39 (W) x 2.9 (D) x 3.6 (H) inches, and it weighs 5.2 lbs.
– The soundbar comes with a useful remote control
– It is sold with a 1-year warranty
If you are on a tight budget but you still want a top quality sound bar for your TV, then we strongly recommend the Vizio SB3621n-E8M.
It is sold at an amazingly budget-friendly price, and yet provides a tremendous performance playing back the soundtracks of your favorite movies and music.
This budget-friendly soundbar from Vizio offers a superb performance and a wide selection of inputs, including Bluetooth. I will successfully decode both DTS and Dolby audio. It comes with a wireless subwoofer and is one of the sound bars which is the easiest to set up.
It is 36 inches long and has a very elegant design. So, don’t worry about the low price tag, this sound bar has an excellent build quality too.
The height of 2.1 inches of this device is perfect if you don’t want it blocking and interfering with your TV remote control.
The unit has a few controls which are perfect in case you have misplaced your remote control for the bar.
The silver cased wireless subwoofer helps the system reach the 50Hz claimed by the manufacturer which is more than you can ask from a sound system priced so low.
This affordable Vizio sound bar has two digital inputs – optical and coaxial. Plus a USB which though plays back WAV files only, as well as a 3.5mm jack. It also has Bluetooth connectivity, so that you can easily share and stream content from your smartphone or other device.
Setting up the SB3621n-e8M is a breeze. You literally need to just plug in the optical or coaxial cable in and then adjust the treble and bass via the remote, and the subwoofer balance with the volume control of the sub. And voila! You are ready to go and enjoy the amazing sound of your favorite movie or listen to your favorite playlist right away!
Overall, for this price, you cannot find a sound bar which provides such a satisfying, clean, clear and dynamic sound and bass. It is great for both movies and music, and the price is just amazing, so don’t hesitate and buy this sound bar right away!
In fact, it is so good that we would be recommending it as one of the best sound bars for the year even if it were double the price!
The rest of our top picks for the best sound bars for 2020
If you are looking for an affordable way to bring a true 5.1 surround sound to enhance your TV’s somewhat weak audio, then the Vizio 5.1 42 inch sound bar is an affordable and simple solution for you.
- Provides a 5.1 channel sound without the need of buying and installing an expensive and bulky A/V receiver and separate speakers
- Affordable price which provides excellent value
- Bluetooth connectivity for seamless streaming of media files from Bluetooth enabled devices
- The 42-inch unit can go above or below the TV but it does look better with TVs which are at least 42 inches
- The sound bar contains the front, center and left channels for space saving
- The system also includes a wireless subwoofer which you can place anywhere in the room without annoying and messy cables
- You also will receive two satellite surround sound speakers which connect directly to the sub for power
- The subwoofer can be placed anywhere in the room without cables within the range of 60 ft. and it is quite slim – 12.5 x 7 inches which makes it thinner than most
- The sound bar connects to the TV with a coaxial, optical digital or RCA cable, which makes it compatible with just about any TV
- The sound bar has control buttons for power, input source, volume, and Bluetooth, which is great if you have misplaced the remote
- The remote has a small display for easier navigation and configuration
- Easy setup and configuration of the sound bar, the sub and speakers via the built-in display of the remote control
- Provides a more immersive sound experience than a sound bar with only 2 channels
- It makes voices easier to hear and understand which will enhance your movie watching experience
- Supports Dolby Digital, DTS TruVolume, DTS Digital surround
- Offers less than 1% of harmonic distortion for an immersive watching and listening experience
- The power output is 102 dB
- The package also includes RCA cables for the speakers, an RCA to 3.5mm cable, an optical and coaxial digital cables, a wall mount, a power cable for the sound bar and a detailed quick start guide
With this 2.1 home movie theater sound system, you can enjoy watching movies with crystal clear sound and rich bass, which will spread throughout the room and fill it for an unbeatable immersive listening and viewing experience.
– A 2.1 sound system suitable for TVs which are 42 inches or larger
– A room-filling 100 dB output
– The 2.1 sound system includes a 38-inch soundbar and a Bluetooth subwoofer
– The soundbar has a frequency range of 50 to 19,000 Hz
– It has an integrated amplifier and two full-range drivers
– You can pair the soundbar to any Bluetooth enabled device, like your phone to stream audio seamlessly
– The Bluetooth enabled subwoofer has a range of up to 60 feet so that you can set it up anywhere in the room wirelessly
– The soundbar offers Dolby Digital decoding, and DTS TruVolume and DTS Audio processing
– The soundbar has USB, digital audio coaxial, digital audio optical, audio line-in and USB connectivity options
– The sound system comes with a nifty remote control
– You can wall-mount the soundbar and subwoofer if you prefer
– The size of the soundbar is 38 (W) x 3 (D) x 3 (H) inches, and weighs 5.8 lbs.
– The subwoofer is 8.3 (W) x 8.3 (D) x 9.1 (H) inches and weighs 7.2 lbs.
– Sold with a 1-year warranty
– The soundbar has DTS Digital Surround, DTS TruSurround, DTS TruVolume, DTS Studio Sound, and Dolby Digital processing
– It has an audio return channel (ARC)
– The subwoofer is wireless, but the satellite speakers are wired
Do you find that you are constantly toggling the volume of the TV because you can’t hear what people are saying? With the ZVOX AccuVoice AV200 sound bar, you will forget about fiddling with the volume levels and enjoy the ability to hear televised voices much easier and clearer.
- It’s patented AccuVoice hearing aid technology which uses an integrated DSP and DAC, makes hearing the voices on the TV much easier, so it is perfect for people who have hearing problems
- It measures 17 (W) x 3.1 (D) x 2.0 (H) inches, and weighs only 4.9 lbs., and is much smaller than typical sound bars, so it will take up less space and can even be hung beneath a wall mounted TV
- The connection to the TV is via an optical digital cable, or an alternative 3.5mm stereo combo or both
- It has a 3.5mm analog output for an added subwoofer or headphones
- The sound bar has a bright large status indicator
- The unit has an anodized extruded aluminum housing with ABS plastic caps which allows for a louder sound with less resonance
- Provides good quality, clear 2 channel audio
- Very well labeled and easy to use remote control
- Can decode Dolby Digital, and has 3 surround sound modes to choose from, including an Output leveling option to lower the volume of the loud commercials
- Very simple and quick setup
- Affordable price
If you are ready to break the bank for the best virtual sound system in the smallest sound bar possible, then there is no better choice than the Sony HT-Z9F Dolby Atmos sound bar.
- A very sleek and slim design of the sound bar
- The unit is 40 inches long and 3 inches high and 4 inches deep so it can fit just about any TV stand
- Comes with a wireless subwoofer (15(H) x 8(W) inches) which can be placed anywhere without any dangling cables
- Provides incredibly powerful, clean distortion free and detailed sound
- Makes hearing human voices and dialogues much easier and clear
- Has a very impressive 3.1 channel virtual surround thanks to the various processing options including Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, DTS:X, DTS-HD, DTS 96/22 (for high-resolution audio) and also 4K HDR pass-through and HDCP 2.2 support
- Uses DSP (digital signal processing) for a fuller soundstage
- Has various listening modes to choose from including Cinema, Sports, Music, and Auto
- The inputs include: RC HDMI, 2 HDMI inputs, optical digital, 3.5mm analog and an Ethernet port to connect the sound bar to your home network
- It has an IR repeater which will prevent the signal from your TV remote to be blocked by the soundbar
- Offers Wi-Fi connectivity and Chromecast support for wireless streaming, and Bluetooth
- The up-scaler function of the system will improve the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi streams
- You can connect headphones to the unit via Bluetooth
- The remote is easy to use
- If you connect the sound bar to the TV via an HDMI ARC cable, you will be able to use the TV remote to control both
- The system is very easy to set up thanks to the useful on-screen setup menu
- The sound bar works as well for listening to music as for watching movies and other video content
- The model won the “Best Audio Accessory” award by Techradar
- Comes with a magnetically affixed grill, a remote, an HDMI, an instructions manual, a startup guide, and a Dolby Atmos demo disk
If you are seeking for a wireless sound bar to improve the audio of your TV and to provide you with an exceptional listening experience, then you will not find a better solution than the Sonos Playbar.
- One piece unit with dimensions of 35.4 x 3.4 x 5.5 inches
- You can use it in multiple rooms if you add more wireless speakers to the Sonos Playbar ecosystem as it will sync with them automatically
- The integrated Wi-Fi connects directly to your home’s Wi-Fi network without the need to connect every time like with Bluetooth connections
- You can use the sound bar to stream music even when the TV is switched off by adding your music streaming subscriptions and radio streams to it
- It easily doubles as a hi-fi system and a home theater sound system
- The 10 amplifiers deliver exceptionally detailed and rich sound and soundstage
- The TV Auto play function allows for seamless day-to-day use – it will switch inputs directly when it senses audio from the TV
- The Night mode suppresses any sudden loud noises from a movie or other source so that you don’t wake up the other people in the household or your neighbors
- The speech enhancement feature will make vocals and dialogues much crisper and clearer
- The TruPlay feature automatically regulates the acoustics and adapts the speaker to the size and shape of every room and to your viewing or listening position
- The IR sensor of the unit allows you to use your existing remote after you pair it with the Playbar
- Perfect for TV, music, games and audiobooks
- Works with Amazon Echo and any Alex enabled device which makes it easier to control via voice commands
- Very simple setup with just 2 cords – to the power and to the TV
If you are looking for a complete 5.1 sound system for your entertainment room, but are not willing to break the bank, then you should consider buying the Vizio SmartCast 36 inch soundbar 5.1 sound system.
– The system includes a 36-inch soundbar, a wireless subwoofer and two discrete satellite surround speakers, and all the cables you need to set up an instant home theater sound system
– The 3-channel soundbar is sleek and will fit under most flat TVs
– It is both Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi enabled for wireless connectivity and streaming from compatible devices
– It has built-in Chromecast
– You can use voice commands via a Google Assistant-enabled device to control the settings of the sound system
– It also comes with a useful and feature-packed SmartCast mobile app
– It has both analog and optical inputs and comes with optical, analog, 3.5mm to 3.5mm, 3.5mm to RCA, and HDMI cables included in the package
– The frequency response is 50 to 20,000 Hz
– It has a room-filling sound pressure level of 101 dB
– It has an intuitive remote control with a display
– The sleek soundbar is 36 x 3.2 x 2.1 inches in size
If you are shopping for a smart and yet affordable sound bar to enhance the audio of your TV and your music listening experience, the Sonos Beam is defiantly our top recommendation.
- 3 channel TV and music streaming wireless sound bar
- Can connect wirelessly to all other Sonos speakers and subwoofers and create a home Sonos ecosystem which you can enjoy from each room
- Easy and reliable connection to your home Wi-Fi network for seamless streaming from all devices
- Smart functionality – it works with all Alexa and Apple AirPlay 2 enabled devices and thus you can control it via voice control
- Compact dimensions of 25.6 x 2.7 x 3.94 inches and a weight of just 6.2 lbs.
- One-piece unit
- Digital optical and HDMI and HDMI ARC inputs
- Works and stands comfortable with TVs of all sizes
- It is 60% smaller than the Sonos Playbar
- Easy to use touch-sensitive controls on top of the unit for powering the unit on and off, controlling the volume, a mute and unmute, and a play and pause button
- It can be mounted or just placed under or in front of the TV
- It has 4 full range drivers, a center tweeter and three passive radiators for added bass
- The TruePlay feature will enhance the 3 channel system to true surround by calibrating the sound to the size of the room – this is done via a setup feature which scans the room via your iPhone or iPad
- Very easy and hassle-free setup if your TV has HDMI ARC, and you can use the remote of the TV to control the Sonos Beam
- The Night Sound function will eliminate any sudden loud noises and the booming bass so you can watch a movie while the other people in the house are sleeping
- You also have an equalizer option to adjust the settings in accordance with your preferences
- The TV Dialog feature allows you to sync the voice in case it is off
- Very affordable price for a device in this range
Why do you need a sound bar?
Today, TV manufacturers are doing everything possible to design and make slimmer and slimmer flat TVs. This feature makes the TV sets more attractive and with better visuals, but due to the thinner dimensions, the built-in speakers get smaller as well. This no doubt hurts the quality of the audio, which is often frustrating to people who have spent thousands of dollars for a feature-packed TV with expectations for the ultimate home theater experience.
This is where a good quality soundbar steps in. These devices are compact and are relatively affordable, especially as compared to home theater surround audio systems, and yet can provide you with an exceptional stereo surround, crystal clear and rich sound with very little or no distortion.
As George Lukas famously said – “sound is 50 percent of a movie”, so it comes to no surprise that more people are choosing to purchase and use sound bars to enhance the audio of their TVs.
Also, sound bars are simple to set up and are simple to use, and many of them come with subwoofers and satellite speakers for an even more immersive surround effect.
So, if you have spent thousands of your hard earned dollars on a 4K Ultra HD smart large screen TV, it makes perfect sense to spend a bit more for a sound bar which will ensure that the audio is at least as good as the video as you enjoy your favorite movie or show.
Plus, most of the sound bars can be used for streaming and listening to music, so they can substitute a hi-fi system and radio as well.
The question is, how to pick the best sound bar?
Features to look for when buying a sound bar
These are the main features which we took into consideration when we picked our top 10 picks for the best sound bars for 2020, which we feel are the most important ones to keep in mind when choosing the best sound bar to suit your needs.
Naturally, the main function of the sound bar is to provide you with the best home cinematic experience via immersive sounds and soundscapes. This is the main feature to pay close attention to when buying a sound bar.
Our top 10 choices all provide amazingly good audio quality and offer rich, crystal clear sounds with no distortions. Choose the sound bar which offers the sound quality which you expect for your viewing or listening needs. Some of the sound bars in our top 10 have various excellent features, such as vocal and dialog enhancement, Night mode, an equalizer mode, movie, sport or music modes and many others. We have provided you with detailed specifications and all of the sound options, features, configuration option and qualities of each, so please read them carefully to make sure that you are making the right choice.
Sound bars are meant to be as unobtrusive as possible, so it is a good idea to pick one which can fit properly in front of your TV without blocking your view or the remote control access to it.
Keep in mind that the size of the TV screen is measured diagonally and that the size of the sound bar is the length of the unit.
We have picked sound bars with different lengths and sizes for you. To make the choice easier, here is a brief table of the lengths of the sound bars and the TV screen size they are most suitable for:
- 12-inch length – can be used with TVs of any size
- 38-45 inch long sound bars are suitable for 42-50 inch TVs
- 50-inch sound bars are for 55-60 inch TVs
- 60-inch long sound bars are for ultra large TV’s with 70-inch screens or larger
We have added the dimensions of all our top picks, to make it easier for you to measure the TV stand and the TV and ensure that the sound bar will fit properly.
The connection types
Our top picks have various input and output options. Some of the bars use the TV’s inputs and don’t have HDMI. This makes it easier to switch between the sources connected to the TV but can have some drawbacks when it comes to using the TV as a switch. For one, the number of outputs of your TV is limited, and most importantly, most TVs actually downgrade the audio into stereo instead of playing the true surround sound signal, which does not work well with sound bars with a surround input.
Some of the higher end models do have their own HDMI and HDMI ARC inputs so that you can connect the AV device directly to the unit.
If you have a 4K UHD TV, it makes sense to choose a sound bar which has inputs which can pass HDR and 4K signals.
Out 10 best choices offer different input and output options, so go ahead and check out the one which will fit your needs and can be connected to your TV and other devices properly.
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
We have picked soundbars which have wireless connectivity such as Bluetooth or Wi-Fi or both, because it makes sense to be able to connect your sound bar to your wireless network, or to pair it with your phone or other Bluetooth enabled device in order to be able to stream content from your smartphone or the Internet streaming services.
Wi-Fi connectivity, in general, is more reliable and has a wider range than Bluetooth, which can drop and need to be paired and reconnected every time you want to use it. So, if you plan on streaming a lot of content to your sound bar, you better pick one with Wi-Fi connectivity.
We also have models, such as the Sony HT-Z9F which has an option for a wired connection to your home network, for an even more seamless streaming experience.
The channels and the numbers
The numbers like 2.0, 3.1, 5.1 in the names of the sound bars we have chosen for you stand for the number of channels the device has (the first number) and whether or not the sound bar comes with a subwoofer (1=yes and 0=no). Two channels mean having a left and right drive, three channels means left, right and center, and five means left, right, center as well as additional channels for surround or rear speakers. In other words – whether the bar has a stereo or a surround sound capability.
We have picked some sound bars which come with subwoofers – some are wireless, and some are not. It is a good idea to opt for one which has a wireless sub because then you will avoid having to spread cables throughout the room, and can set the sub wherever you want. Such is the case with all of our top picks in our list which have subwoofers.
We also have some favorites which come with additional satellite speakers, such as our choice for the best runner-up – the Vizio S5451w-C2 54 and also the Vizio Home Theater 5.1 42 inch sound bar.
In case you see a third number, such as 5.1.4, this means that the sound bar supports Dolby Atmos surround. The final number stands for the number of dedicate drivers which allow for the sound to move up, bounce down and create that incredible enveloping effect. Atmos is the most popular surround sound technology which can process as many as 128 distinct objects in a scene.
Since soundbars which support Dolby Atmos are usually on the higher end when it comes to prices, we have picked the only one which has this feature for you – the Sony HT-Z9F. Plus, very few streaming services and TV channels and others offer this type of audio quality at the moment.
A remote control
Sound bars which come with their own remote control are relatively easier to control and set, instead of those which rely on the remote control of the TV. We have picked some options which have useful displays on the remote controls for easier operation, but the two Sonos models in our list can also easily be controlled via a remote, even though they don’t come with one. So, choose whether you prefer using dedicated remote controls for the different devices, or you want to operate with one single remote instead.
Ease of set up and use
Sound bars are supposed to be simpler than complete surround sound systems, which is why we have chosen only models which are easy to set up, easy to configure and easy to use for you.
The sound bars included in our top 10 list for 2020 are all excellent options. Each and every one of these devices will truly enhance the audio of your TV, so whichever one you pick, you will be giving your TV and yourself the sound which you deserve!
Good luck and get ready for a TV watching, a gaming or a music listening experience like you have never felt before with the fantastic sound provided by every one of these wonderful sound bars!
Last update on 2020-06-02 at 05:13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API