Even if you have a bright light in your garage, or even if it is the middle of the day and you need to perform an engine check or do a repair under the hood of your car or truck, it can be difficult to see everything without a dedicated under hood work light.
There are various types of underhood lights available on the market, so choosing the perfect one is not an easy task.
We have reviewed and tested a number of the bestselling under hood work lights for 2021 for you and have come up with a list of the greatest ones money can buy based on the following essential features:
- Their construction and durability
- The type and quality of the light source used (LED, bulb, other)
- The run time of the battery
- The option for using the light via another power source
- The brightness level and the adjustability of the brightness
- The angle and the coverage of the light under the hood
- The hanging, mounting, or attachment options
- The size and portability of the work light
- The added features
- The added extras with the light, such as a battery, a charger, or other
Under Hood Work Light
Read on to find out more about the leading under hood work lights for 2021.
The best overall
This premium quality underhood work light by Milwaukee Electric Tool may be more expensive than some of the other lights on the list, but it is a reliable and versatile work light that can be used in either battery-powered or in corded mode.
The bright LED lights produce a maximum of 3,000 lumens, which is much brighter than your standard under hood work light.
You can adjust the brightness via the three available modes – high (3,000), medium (1,500), and low (650).
The light head of the portable work light can be rotated easily at 240 degrees, and locked in the position you need it to stay.
It has three built-in keyholes so you can hang it wherever you want, either vertically or horizontally.
The unit is 7.6 x 10.7 x 11.1 inches in size and weighs 7.11 lbs.
It has two built-in carry handles for easier portability.
The housing is heavy-duty, and it has an impact-resistant bezel and lenses and a roll cage, which will protect it and keep it working, no matter how rough the conditions are.
- The maximum brightness of 3,000 lumens
- 3 adjustable brightness settings
- It can work with an M18 RedLithium 5.0 battery pack for up to 9 hours or can be plugged into a power outlet
- The light head can be rotated at 240 degrees
- It can be hung vertically or horizontally
- A very durable casing, roll bar, and lens
- It is more expensive than some of the other work lights on this list
The ATD Tools ATD-80357 features an award-winning design and offers a powerful performance. It is designed to fit under any hood, including the latest light trucks and SUVs thanks to the extendable hooks which can be customized from 55 to 83 inches. the hooks themselves are padded and large, allowing for added stability and ease of use.
The 40 inch light bar can provide up to 2,000 lumens of brightness, so your entire underhood space will be brightly illuminated as you work. The brightness is adjustable, and you can choose the lower setting for 1,000 lumens of light if you prefer.
The tool comes with a removable 25-foot long cord that is oil, grease, and cold resistant.
The light can also work in battery mode, via the included 7.4 volts 5200mAh lithium-ion battery which has a runtime of up to 4 hours in low mode and up to 2 hours in high brightness mode.
There is a useful LED battery status indicator.
The size of the underhood work light is 58.3 x 6.3 x 8.3 inches, and it weighs 2 lbs.
- It can be used in corded or battery-powered mode
- The 40-inch long LED light strip can illuminate the entire engine or area
- The brightness level can be adjusted to 2,000 or 1,000 lumens
- The light is sold with a rechargeable battery, a removable power cord
- The lamp has padded, large hooks, which can be adjusted to fit even the latest light trucks and SUVs
- The cord is cold, grease and oil resistant
- The battery lasts for only up to 2 hours at the maximum brightness setting, and up to 4 hours at the low setting
The rest of the best under hood work lights for 2021
The Caterpillar Work Light CT1000 costs just over $10, but at the same time, it is a truly portable and indispensable under hood work light that you can literally carry in your pocket.
The size of this pocket under the hood work light is only 6.2 x 1.2 x 0.8 inches, and it weighs 2.4-oz, so you can carry it around with you wherever you go, or keep it in your car for emergencies.
The small-sized work light has a COB LED element which can produce a light output of 175 lumens.
Although it is small and light, this work light is definitely not flimsy. Its body is made of heavy-duty, water and impact-resistant ABS.
It is powered by 3 AAA batteries, which offer a runtime of up to 7 hours. Plus, the rechargeable batteries come included in the package.
The light has a rear pocket clip, as well as a magnetic base, so you can attach it to the hood, or anywhere you need it to be for hands-free use.
For this price and this quality, you cannot find a better super-portable under hood work light on the market.
- It costs just over $11
- Lightweight but waterproof and impact resistant
- Provides 175 lumens of COB LED light for up to 7 hours
- Works with 3 rechargeable AAA batteries, included in the package
- A pocket clip and a magnet for easy portability and attachment
- It will fit in your pocket
- The magnet on the base is not too powerful
The Bosch 12-Volt Max FL12 Work Light is one of the most versatile under hood work lights in 2021.
This powerful portable tool features 10 high-intensity LEDs that will illuminate your engine or another area completely, no matter how dark it is in your garage or outdoors.
The portable work light can rotate at 200 degrees and has multiple options for hanging and attaching it to any surface or on anything. You can use the two powerful magnets, the added carabiner clip, or used the integrated ¼ inch screw thread and a tripod to keep the light positioned as conveniently for you as possible.
The 12 Volt Max battery has a maximum runtime of 12 hours. With a 2.0Ah battery, you can expect the light to work for up to 6 hours.
The runtime can in fact be doubled if you use the dimming function while you work.
Thanks to its sturdy housing, this portable under hood work light will withstand a lot of wear and tear.
It is 6.8 x 3.5 x 2.8 inches in size and weighs 11.2-oz, so you can easily carry it around or keep it in your trunk for emergencies.
- Lightweight but sturdy
- 10 bright LED lights with a dimming option
- Several hanging and attachment options for hands-free use
- Provides bright illumination at a wide angle
- The battery can last up to 12 hours with the maximum brightness turned on
- It has automatic overheating protection
- It may be quite costly, because you will need to buy a battery and charger separately
The Dewalt DCL050 Max Led Work Light has 3 bright LED lights that will help illuminate even the darkest corners and parts of your engine or any other work site.
This portable under hood work light has two brightness options – one provides 500 lumens and the other 250 lumens of light, so you can customize it depending on your needs to save battery power.
Thanks to its 140-degree pivoting head, you can twist the light in the direction you need, regardless of the surface you are examining or working on.
The powerful underhood work light by Dewalt has a nominal voltage of 18 and a maximum initial voltage of 20 volts.
The 20V Max Lithium-Ion battery is long-lasting and can run for up to 22 hours of use before it needs recharging. Plus, it is compatible with more than 120 of the other power tools made by Dewalt.
Thanks to its 360-degree rotating hook on the top, you can hang the light easily, and twist it around without the need to move the entire unit.
The dimensions of the light are 8.8 x 14.89 x 3.9 inches, and it weighs 14.4-oz.
- 3 bright LEDs which can be adjusted to 500 or 250 lumens
- Compact and portable
- Pivoting head at 140 degrees
- 360-degree rotating hanging hook
- The maximum battery voltage is 20V
- The battery can last for up to 22 hours
- 3-year limited warranty
- You will need to buy a battery and charger separately, in case you don’t already have one from another Dewalt tool
If you prefer the reliability and convenience of a corded under hood work light, then you should check out the Snap-on 922261 work light.
This unit can produce light with a brightness output of 2,000 lumens, which makes it suitable for car repairs, photography, and construction or any other use.
Thanks to the corded feature, this work light will never run out of power, so you will have sufficient bright light for as long as you need it when working on your car or truck.
The durable LED lights will not burn out and need replacement like regular bulbs. Plus, they will not heat up uncomfortably and dangerously no matter how long you use them. The work light has 46 LEDs and a color temperature of 5000k.
The Snap-on work light consumes little electrical power, and is built and sealed for use both indoors and outdoors.
Its size is 10 x 10 x 4 inches, and it weighs 4 lbs. There is a convenient padded carry handle on top of it for effortless mobility.
- It will never run out of power because it is corded and can be plugged in for continuous use
- The housing is rugged, and the switches are sealed, for safe use outdoors as well as inside
- 46 LED lights with an output of 2,000 lumens
- The lights remain cool even after prolonged use
- Adjustable tilting light head
- It consumes very little power
- You can use it for all kinds of needs, apart from car repairs
- It has an ergonomic handle with padding
- It has a 6-foot long power cord
- It is not portable, so you cannot use it off the grid
Last update on 2021-07-29 at 14:53 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API