Do you love spending your free time camping, hunting or just traveling in the wilderness with your truck? How about an easy to set up and comfortable bed which will provide you superb comfort while you are outdoors?
Truck bed tents are a wonderful alternative to having to set up a tent and sleep on the ground, plus they provide added protection and privacy.
Not only are they comfortable but they are very easy to deploy and disassemble, so you can take a nap anywhere or at any time while traveling.
Here are our recommendations for the top truck bed tents for this year:
The Backroadz truck bed tent is another superb option which provides ultimate comfort when you need to spend the night outdoors or just want a place to rest from a long drive.
- The sewn in polyethylene floor keeps the tent safely enclosed
- 4 large windows plus a large door will provide ample ventilation and a great view
- The interior is seriously large (5’5”)
- 2 people can sleep in the tent
- Suitable for 3 season use
- Comes with a 1-year warranty and friendly customer care service
- Added rainfly plus a storm flap on the door
- It can easily be detached and re-attached back to the truck if you need to use it
- Very easy setup
- Only one pocket on the driver’s side
- The poles are slightly flimsy
Overall, the Backroadz truck tent from Napier is one of the leaders in this list because it is very easy to deploy, roomy, waterproof and very well made, which means that you can enjoy sleeping in it for years ahead.
This truck tent is large enough to fit 2 people and is the only one which has a convenient sewn-in floor.
- 2 mesh windows as well as side vents for perfect ventilation
- High ceiling with over 5.6 feet headroom
- The special sewn-in flooring which covers the entire inside of the truck bed
- An access panel at the back to get to the truck’s cab easily
- No guide ropes required
- 4×4 foot shade awning to keep you cool – attaches to the tailgate
- An effective waterproof rain fly
- Sleeve system and color-coded poles for hassle-free and fast set up and disassembly
- Strap protectors to keep your truck protected
- Storage bag which is expandable so the tent can easily be put back in
- Very roomy
- Inside cargo net
- The plastic awning pole clamps are susceptible to breaking
- The first assembly may be tricky for some
- The awning is not removable, so it could be a problem when the wind is high
This truck bed tent from Sportz is perfect for any occasion when you want to rest or sleep while outdoors or on the road. It takes minutes to set up and offers a very roomy space perfect to fit two people. Even in downpours, you will stay dry and snug in this amazing truck bed tent!
The Sportz Avalanche is a must have if you want an extra roomy, easy to assemble and reasonably priced truck bed tent.
- Fits a full-size air mattress and sleeps, 2 people
- more than 5.5 feet of headroom to stand up comfortably
- The fiberglass poles are color coded and shock corded for fast and intuitive setup
- Weighs only 19.7 pounds and the size of the bag is 28 x 8 x 8 inches
- A handy rear door lets you access the cabin of your truck easily
- The front door is large so no more struggling to get inside the tent
- A 6 x 6-foot awning extended from the tailgate will provide further protection and shade
- A highly efficient rain fly
- 2 handy interior pockets, a gear loft to keep your stuff neatly put away
- A convenient carrying bag which easily fits the tent back in
- It could take some added effort and time when you are setting it up for the first time
- You may need a stepping stool to get into the tent
This truck bed tent is a compact, light and easy portable shelter which will allow you to stop for a short rest or sleep overnight on the road without the need of setting up a traditional tent and sleeping on the uncomfortable ground.
This incredibly attractive Camo truck tent will let you blend with the natural surroundings and yet remain safe and protected once you set it up in the wilderness.
- Spacious 5.7height and interior fits two people
- A large 4 x 4-foot awning for shade and for protecting your gear
- A fully enclosed floor to preserve you and your gear
- A beautiful mossy Oak Break up infinity camouflage pattern
- Built-in storm flaps and an added rainfly to keep the rain away and protect your privacy
- A rear access window to allow access to the cabin
- 2 ceiling vents plus 3 large windows with polyester mesh covers
- In-built lantern holder and gear pocket and loft
- A stretchy carrying bag
- 6 fiberglass, shock-corded poles for the tent and another 2 for the awning
- 1,200mm waterproof PU coating
- 1-year warranty
- 10 minute setup time
- You may need assistance the first time you set it up if you are alone
This durable, cool-looking and spacious truck tent is as all you need if you love camping, fishing, hunting or other outdoor activities and want to sleep comfortably in your own vehicle.
Related – The Best Muck Boots for Men, women and kids in 2018
If you want to turn your SUV into a cozy sleeping area, the Explorer 2 SUV tent is probably just right for you!
- Very easy set up via bungee cords and plastic coated hooks which are attached to the underframe of the SUV
- You can get maximum ventilation via the outer door panels, or choose to tie them down security for safety and privacy
- There is a convenient insect screen with two-way zippers for easy entry to the rear part of the vehicle
- Very affordable way to ensure a comfy and dry sleeping space outdoors
- Good quality and durable materials used
- Can fit a wide range of SUVs or minivans with liftgate rear panels
- You can deploy it alone for 5 minutes
- Very compact with a weight of just 5 pounds and a storage bag to keep it in your SUV at all times
- Great ventilation and a pleasant open feel
- It fits only certain types of minivans and SUVs
The Explorer 2 tent is the easiest possible one to set up alone and for less than 5 minutes. It will keep you comfortable, dry and safe from insects or prying eyes.
This Guide Gear truck tent will help turn your truck into a camper in a matter of minutes!
- High quality, durable construction
- Superb ventilation
- Fully enclosed with a sewn in flooring made of polyethylene
- Roomy with a height of 5.25 feet to move around easily
- Water resistant coated 190t polyester to keep you dry during rain and an additional rain fly
- 2 people can sleep, as it fits a full-sized air mattress
- Very lightweight (11 pounds) so you can keep it in your truck at all times
- Fits most full-sized pickup trucks from Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, Nissan, and others
- Shock-corded fiberglass poles paired with straps to anchor it safely to the truck
- 2 storage pockets inside
- Comes at a great price
- The entrance can slope a little low which makes entering slightly difficult
- First set up and fitting on the truck could be a bit of a hassle
The Guide Gear truck bed tent is a versatile product which will work well with most full-sized trucks. You can easily deploy it and feel safe and out of the rain if you need to sleep outdoors in it.
You can turn your truck bed into a real bed with the help of the Guide Gear truck tent!
- Keeps you comfortable and off the ground when resting or sleeping outdoors
- The large interior and 4.75 feet of headroom will help prevent that claustrophobic feeling of being in a small tent
- Sewn-in flooring will keep any dampness or drafts out of the tent
- Very efficient ventilation
- A versatile design which allows for setting up different options
- The 4 pole construction makes setting the tent up fast and easy
- A large D-shaped door will make entering and leaving the tent child’s play
- Made of sturdy waterproof polyester and has a weather resistant, heavy-duty carry bag
- Weighs a mere 10 pounds, and has a packed size of just 26 x 7 x 7 inches
- Best price
- The instructions for set up can be slightly confusing
- You must be extra careful with the poles to prevent them from snapping during deployment
- Not so great for very windy weather
This tent is a dream come true for anybody looking for a large, easy to set up and sturdy truck bed tent. You can store it in your vehicle and just pop it out any time you feel like taking a rest when on the road.
- Roomy space at 8×8 feet with an amazing height of 7.2 feet
- 2 people can sleep in the tent, and 4 people in the vehicle cargo area
- The fabric is durable, water resistant and with tape sealed seams for added protection from rain and humidity
- The adjustable sleeve can be attached to SUV’s, pick-up trucks, wagons, minivans of all sizes
- No tarp is required thanks to the PE floor
- Large windows with mesh covers for privacy, ventilation and insect control and added zipper window covers
- Easy access to the power receptacles of the truck
- You can disconnect it from the vehicle and close the tent up safely as a standalone unit
- Storm cover rainfly for protection and added privacy
- A handy lantern hook inside
- Great glow-in-the-dark zipper pulls
- Storage pockets for your valuables, devices, and gear
- Carrying bag
- Could be difficult to be set up by one person alone
- The stakes can be on the flimsy side
This sleeve formed tent can accommodate your whole family when you are out camping, and you won’t need to worry about getting wet, bitten by insects or being spied on once you set it up.
Want an easy to set up, sizable and high-quality truck bed tent? The Kodiak Canvas could be the best choice for you!
- Space is roomy thanks to the tunnel-shaped design, and 5-foot height fits at least 2 people
- Made of 100% cotton duck canvas (Hydra-Shield) which is breathable, waterproof and durable
- Can fit on Chevy Silverado, Ford F, Dodge Ram, GMC Sierra, Nissan Titan, and Toyota Tundra
- The large and easy to use D-shaped door will help you jump in and out of the tent with ease
- Two gear storage pockets
- A secure fit to the truck via the strong ¾ inch steel tube frame and clamp-on rails
- Five windows including a rear access window for the cabin
- Canvas tents can be heavier, but they are stronger
- Could be tricky to set up by one person alone
The Kodiak Canvas tent is roomy, very durable and completely weatherproof so you can use it all year around. It will last longer and will provide you sufficient space and comfort to rest or sleep outdoors at all times.
The Rightline Gear 110730 tent features a floorless design which has multiple advantages such as not having to remove gear from the back of your truck for setting the tent up or having the tent pick up the dirt from the truck bed.
- Color-coded poles and pockets for intuitive and hassle-free assembly
- Protective straps to keep the finish of your truck safe from damage
- 2,000mm PU water resistant fabric plus added tape sealed seams to keep you and the truck bed dry
- Roomy enough to fit 2 people and store your things
- Gear storage pockets
- A lantern hook
- Zipper pulls which glow in the dark
- A sky view vent for a great panorama and added ventilation
- Removable rainfly for extra protection
- Air mattresses can get pierced by sharp objects in the truck bed due to the floorless design
- The side poles can open small gaps during set up
This waterproof, simple for setting up and roomy truck bed tent is a superb option for turning your truck into a cozy camper.
Which factors to consider when buying a truck bed tent?
Due to the diversity of types of tents for vehicles on the market, you need to think through some different essential factors to make sure you are making the best choice.
Type and size of the tent
The sizes and forms of this type of tents vary, so you need to first choose a tent which will fit the size your vehicle bed, as well as one which will accommodate the number of people you are planning to share it with.
Of course, the most imperative part is to make sure that the particular tent will fit your type of truck or vehicle. This can easily be checked in the technical specifications and lists of compatible vehicles provided by all tent manufacturers and retailers.
You should also think about whether you prefer a tent which comes with flooring or one which is installed directly on top of the truck bed, depending on the volumes of gear you usually carry with you when camping or spending time outdoors.
Think about the size of the tent when it is packed in its bag as well – pick one which will fit the space you have planned for it.
The seasons and waterproofness
Truck bed tents just like traditional tents have a seasonality aspect. There are three and four season tents, so you should think about this aspect as well when you are picking a tent for your truck bed.
4-season tents can be used in the winter and will help keep you warm, cozy and protected from snow and cold, while the 3-season tents are suitable for spring, summer, and fall outdoor use.
It is always highly recommended that you choose a truck tent which is waterproof and will provide protection against strong wind too.
Naturally, the more seasons a tent can withstand – the higher its price will be.
The height and length of the truck bed tent is also a feature worth thinking about before buying one for yourself. If you don’t like to be crammed up in a claustrophobic small space, go for the spacious options available – with high ceilings and sufficient air space. Once again, your choice of the proper length and height depends on whether you plan on sharing the tent with somebody else as well.
It is always great to choose a tent which has some extras, such as a rainfly, awning, insect screens, wind flaps, storage pockets for your gear, rear access openings to get to the cabin of the truck, lantern holders, vents, and other useful accessories which can make life better and easier for you when camping outdoors.
Ease of setup
If you are not a very handy person and want a quick and free set up experience, choose a truck bed tent which is easy and fast to set up without the help of other people and without needing to dig into complicated instructions. Fortunately, most of the tents on this list provide an easy setup. It always helps to take a look at some online videos or read the setup instructions before making a purchase.
This is a determining factor for just about anything we buy, so of course, you should contemplate on how big of an investment you are willing to make for a truck bed tent. The best product to buy is one where the price reflects the quality.
Truck bed tents are getting more popular in the latest years due to the number of advantages they provide. They are a preferred item by campers and other people who enjoy the outdoors but dislike the experience of having to set up a separate tent and spend the night on the ground.
They are typically more accessible and faster to set up than normal tents and can provide more stability than the ones secured to the ground.
Plus, the truck bed is safe from snakes and insect attacks and bites, unlike traditional tents and will keep you elevated from the cold and possibly damp ground.
Overall, if you are a proud truck owner, you may want to consider getting a truck bed tent for your future camping trips, outings and for traveling! Truck tents are compact, light and will hardly take up too much space in your truck, and yet can provide you with amazing comfort, protection, and privacy when you need it and you are outdoors!
Last update on 2018-12-17 at 18:16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API