As you are probably aware, sous vide is a method of cooking that uses water as a cooking medium. This is one of the most precise ways of cooking with the user predicting the outcome, and is perfect for occasions such as family BBQs and so on. The term translates to long-term cooking and has been gaining popularity among home cooks in recent times.
And if you are going to be cooking the sous vide way, what better way than vacuum seal the ingredients before you do? This holds especially true for perishable items such as chicken, steak, asparagus, fish or eggs. And for this purpose, you would need a vacuum sealer. What would these sealers do that ordinary Ziploc bags can’t? While we will touch on this topic later in the article, we’ll just say for now that you cannot completely remove the air from a Ziploc bag because they are not entirely reliable.
Take a look at our compiled list of the best sous vide vacuum sealers:
Top Reviews of Best Sous Vide Vacuum Sealers
- Fast Sealing: Foodsaver V4440 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealer Machine. The V4440 2-in-1 is affordable and manufacturers claim the food sealed with it will last up to 3 years.
- Powerful Performer: Geryon Vacuum Sealer. This vacuum sealer is lightweight and handles everything from food to sealing valuables.
- Safe to Use: KOIOS Vacuum Sealer Machine. This sealer can be used multiple times without causing any damage to it.
- Compact Sealer: ABOX Automatic Food Vacuum Sealer. Customers have found that this sealer is very easy to use and works silently.
- Value for Money: Aobosi Vacuum Sealer. If a fully-featured vacuum sealer does not interest you, then this sealer is for you.
- Stylish and Robust: PARTU Vacuum Sealer Machine. This sealer will not only seal foods but also clothes, wine or beverages.
With its gorgeous design, the V4440 stands out among its peers. Apart from the standard sealing function, you can also use it as a handheld to vacuum canisters and containers. It also has automatic bag detection, which means that as soon as you put a bag in the vacuum chamber, the machine will start working. It can also detect moisture and switch to an appropriate mode to achieve the desired seal. The gadget comes with a starter kit that contains an accessory hose and seal rolls and seal bags.
- Keeps food fresh, free of freezer burn and mold for up to 3 years in a freezer
- Has a handheld mode for sealing containers or canisters
- Certified by nationally recognized test laboratories for safety
- Automatic moisture and bag detection
- The 5-year limited warranty is very convenient
- Included bags are BPA and puncture-free and sous vide safe
- The removable drip tray is dishwasher safe
- Comes with a detailed manual and a food saver guide
- The device cannot double seal bags
- The performance of the sealer is not consistent
This vacuum sealer from Geryon is compact and is easy on the pocket and will prove invaluable to you in your sous vide preparations. It will fit in any of the kitchen cabinets or drawers. The device is very simple to use and leaves a small carbon footprint while saving you a ton of money by helping you bulk seal food and proper storage. The device has seal indicator lights that will let you know that it is done vacuuming first (to preserve freezer burns) and sealing, giving you a perfect little package.
- Includes 5 heat-seal bags and 1 vacuum roll
- Hands-free automatic sealing operation
- The perfect companion to sous vide cooking
- Can use any brand of bags for sealing
- Compact design lets you store the device easily
- Very easy to operate and user friendly
- Can seal items other than food
- Prevents freezer burn and food waste
- Some customers have found difficulty in lining up the bag
- There were reports that the product stopped sealing after a few uses
Safe to Use:
This machine by KOIOS features an in-built cutter to create customized bags (for foods not uniform in size) and save on the vacuum seal roll and reduce wastage. The buttons on this gadget are color-coordinated and easy to operate, and overall, this is a good-looking machine. It features a mica heating strip that can be used 40 times continuously (after which you will need to stop to let it cool down before you start again), which means you can seal a ton of food in one go.
- Comes with a pumping pipe, 10 special bags, cutter and sealing sponge
- The heating strip can withstand temperatures up to 300°C
- Accessory hose to seal wine bottles and jars
- Creates custom-sized bags with the built-in cutter
- Has a large sealing strip
- Available in an attractive price
- The vacuum sealer is easy to operate
- Comes with a 2-year worldwide warranty and fast customer service
- The instructions seemed to be a little misleading
- The device does not seal the packages properly at times
This vacuum sealer features a “moist mode” that is ideal for keeping food items such as chicken curry or fruit salads fresh for a long time. You can pre-season your ingredients for a sous vide cookout for keeping the original appearance intact and retaining the nutrients as is. There is also a “gentle” mode present which is useful for storing delicate foods such as bread, dates or cookies, which will seal them carefully to prevent breakage. This model has strong suction to ensure air-tight sealing and it dissipates heat quickly after it has been used to ensure longer life of the device.
- The sealer comes with 2 sealing sponges, 1 vacuum hose, 5 medium and large bags, and 1 vacuum roll bag
- 2 sealing modes, dry and moist
- Built-in roll storage, in-built cutter for making custom-sized bags
- Soft-touch digital buttons and LED indicator
- Very easy to use
- Overheat protection design ensures a long life for the device
- Has strong suction power but the noise levels are low
- The company offers 60-day free return and a 2-year warranty
- The device does not close properly at times
- Some customers have reported that the product did not work at all
Value for Money:
This vacuum sealer comes attached with an ABS surface that is shockproof, making it easier to clean. It is equipped with a responsive touch screen that makes the operation easy. The vacuum also makes very little noise while in operation. The manufacturers claim that this machine can keep the food fresh up to 8x longer when compared with Ziploc bags. The seal function itself is quite fast at 8-10 seconds; most machines take longer than that. The whole unit is housed in a stain-resistant material that will not be affected if anything is spilled accidentally over it.
- Comes with a starter kit that contains sealing sponge, 1 seal bag roll and 1 air suction hose
- Can vacuum seal sous vide storage bags and containers
- Seal function can seal the bag in 12 seconds
- 3 mm extra-wide sealing strip design to prevent air leakage
- You can try this product free for 1 month and the product has a 2-year warranty
- Lifelong customer and technical support
- Easy-to-clean, stain-resistant surface
- Very attractive pricing
- Operating the device can be a little tricky initially
- The air suction hose is not very strong
Stylish and Robust:
This is a sleek-looking device that has a lot going for it. It has a cable storage slot to tuck the cable neatly away when the machine is not in use, an 11.8-inch bag storage space for the vacuum bags. It also comes with an external pumping function that is useful for cloth storage bags and sealing back wine bottles. The product instruction manual supplied with the sealer is also very instructive and contains many tips for first-time users. All in all, this attractive vacuum sealer comes with a very reasonable price that most customers will love.
- Has a slot for storing the cable when not in use
- Comes with 2 vacuum sealing strips, 2 vacuum pipes, 1 vacuum cover and 1 sealer bag
- Overheat protect function with a progress bar to prevent poor sealing
- Cutter included for the desired length of the vacuum bag
- Keep your dry goods and meats separately
- Works with most vacuum bags available on the market
- Fast and convenient to use
- Very reasonably priced
- The heating element does not seal the bags completely
- The build quality of the machine is not at par with its competitors
Can I Store Any Type of Food in Vacuum Sealers?
You can store all types of foods in a vacuum sealer, be it fruits, vegetables, meat, chicken, fish, bread and so on. You can even put a marinade in a vacuum seal if you want to cook it at a later date. You can also put cooked and uncooked food (separately) in vacuum bags.
Be careful of sealing cruciferous foods though, which include horseradish, cauliflower, kale, bok choi, broccoli and others that fall into this category. You will need to blanch these before vacuum sealing them. This is because a cruciferous vegetable will emit gases, which will cause the vacuum sealing to expand, hence making it go bad quicker.
Isn’t a Ziploc Similar?
You can use them in a pinch if you are running out of vacuum bags. But at extreme temperatures, they may not hold.
How to Avoid Freezer Burn?
Before you put any particular food in the vacuum bag, you need to wipe off as much moisture (in case there is any) as you can from it using paper towels. This will prevent any ice crystals from forming on the surface and effectively avoid freezer burn. If freezer burn has already occurred, you can still eat the food item, but you may or may not like it.
Can I Use Any Type of Vacuum Bags?
Depends on the type of sealer you have. Some sealers specify the type which can be used, while others will only work properly if they are from the same manufacturer. Yet others will work with any generic-type vacuum bags because these particular bags are designed so.
Can I Vacuum Seal Soup?
Sure you can, provided your vacuum sealer has a hose functionality. Naturally, you will want to seal soup in a canister which has been designed to be vacuum sealer. Some of the products listed here have that facility.
How to Choose a Sous Vide Vacuum Sealer
- Portability/Size: This will matter because you are likely to store the vacuum sealer elsewhere while it is not in use. Some of the models feature a compartment box where the cable can be stored, while some others can be stored vertically. You should note that if you are going to be using it frequently, you may want a sealer that is of a wide build.
- Bags/Rolls: As we already know, some vacuum sealers will only accept bags from the same manufacturer, while others will accept all generic bags.
- Ease of Use: Most of the products available offer a single-touch operation, which works for most of us. Yet, there are some makers which offer you a manual as well as a fully-automatic function.
- Power: This is one of the most important considerations; the more suction power it has, the less time it will take to make the bag devoid of any air. This will come in handy when you are sealing a large number of packets.
- Accessories: Some products have jar/bottle sealer attachments or a handheld attachment to make the job easier.
The Final Word
If you are someone who spends a lot of time in the kitchen preparing meals the healthy way, you may want to purchase a sous vide vacuum sealer. We have listed some of the top-selling products on the market for your selection. But as always, look at as many reviews from trusted sources as you can before you make your decision.
Last update on 2020-09-28 at 02:23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API