Do you always get bothered with the blunt knife of your kitchen? If so, then this article is a must-read for you. It will help you to find the easiest way to sharpen your kitchen knife as we are discussing here how to sharpen a kitchen knife.
Undoubtedly, knives are one of the most important things in the kitchen. The kitchen knife is our daily life material. It is almost impossible to do any cooking without a knife. For enjoyable cooking sharp knife is necessary. But the most irritating thing is the kitchen knife gets blunt after certain uses.
Besides, dull knives are risky for the user. So, it is important for us to know how to sharpen a kitchen knife. Keep reading for knowing the easiest process with this guide- how to sharpen a kitchen knife.
Necessity of the Sharp Kitchen Knife
To know about kitchen knife is also a cooking skill. A sharp knife helps you to finish your job more quickly. So, it is essential to use a sharp knife. Here are the necessities of using a sharp kitchen knife-
- You will find a better result with a sharp knife. A sharp kitchen knife needs less force than a dull kitchen knife. When you use less force, then the food will damage less. That’s why knowing how to sharpen a kitchen knife is necessary.
- Delicate vegetables such as herbs or fruits will look fresher when you cut them with a sharp knife. The color of the foods won’t fade. But a dull kitchen knife can make your foods discolor so quickly. That’s why you should use a sharp knife in your kitchen.
- Who doesn’t keep himself safe? But a dull is riskier than a sharp knife. As the motion of a sharp knife is predictable, it doesn’t slip. As a result, it is very easy to control a sharp knife.
- If you sharp your knife after a certain period of time, then its life will also get increased. So, for obtaining higher longevity, you should sharp your kitchen knife.
- A sharp kitchen is also necessary for a clean cut. You can’t cut your food items finely with a dull knife. A sharp kitchen knife provides you fine and precise cut. Therefore, you should use a sharp kitchen knife.
So, you should use a sharp knife in your kitchen as it ensures your safety as well as fine cut.
Related – 5 Steps To Maintain Your Kitchen Knife
Do you want an idea about the available methods of how to sharpen a kitchen knife? Three methods are common. They are professional hand, electric sharpener and sharpening stone. The professional hand makes your kitchen knife sharper, but it is quite expensive. On the other hand, the electric sharpener loses excessive material from your knife.
So, the longevity of the knife gets decreased. The last method is sharpening stone. Using sharpening stone is the best option for you as it gives you sharp edges so easily. Besides, the amount of material loosens is also least. It is cheap in price as well.
The Process of Sharpen a Kitchen Knife
There are many processes of sharpening a kitchen knife. But all processes are not easy and comfortable for you. So, you have to select the easiest process for you for getting known how to sharpen a kitchen knife. We are discussing here the easiest process of sharpening a kitchen knife. The steps are:
Step 1: Soaking the Stone
First of all, you have to soak the stone for 45 minutes in the normal water. A good soaking is necessary. Otherwise, the stone gets dry during the job. As a result, the edge of the kitchen knife won’t get a fine polish.
Step 2: Station Setting
For station setting, you have to place the stone on a cutting board. You can set a towel between the stone and the cutting board a smooth operation. Besides, you can keep a bottle of water for moistening the stone during the process.
Step 3: The First Stroke
Now, the main job begins. You need to place the handle of the knife on the far side of the stone. You should hold the blade of the knife carefully. For the finish, you need to place the hand at an angle of 15 to 20 degrees. Even pressure is important as well. While you will drag the knife over the stone, you need to maintain the movement of the contact point. The contact point should move towards the blade tip.
Step 4: Finishing the First Stroke and Repeating
After finishing the first stroke, you will maintain the same procedure for the other strokes. Every stroke will finish by touching the knife tip to the stone bottom. Then, lift the knife, reset it and repeat the total process.
Step 5: Searching for Silty Water
When you repeat the process, you should keep looking for silty water. The silty water works as an abrasive liquid. It will take the material from the knife edge gradually.
Step 6: Looking for Burr
After some time, you will find a thin burr on another side of the blade. You can check it with your own thumb. At first, you have to place the blade on the thumb. Then, pull it backward. When the burr forms, you will find it on your thumb. You will find it after 30 to 40 strokes. Besides, it indicates that now you have to switch the side.
Step 7: Sharpen the Second Side
Now, it’s time to sharpen the other side. For this, you have to place the blade heel near the stone base. Again, you need to follow the same process that you have already done in the case of the first side.
Step 8: Stone Fixing
When you will sharp the knife, again and again, the stone will develop grooves then. The grooves on the stone make the further process slower. That’s why you need to fix the stone. A stone fixer can fix it. You should use a low grit fixer.
After finishing the sharpening process, you should clean the stone carefully. Then, you have to store the stone with a dedicated towel. Besides, you need to wrap the stone such as the grit can’t come out from the stone. Moreover, you have to ensure the stone will store after proper drying.
Finally, you can realize that sharpening a kitchen knife is not so much tough. You just need to know the process. Definitely, you are familiar with the process by reading this article. Hopefully, you are enough confident now of sharpening your kitchen knife. So, if your kitchen knife is blunt, then don’t late to sharpen your one.
- What Do Beets Taste Like? The Healthiest Food Definitely Worth Trying - April 24, 2021
- Find Out How Long Does Garlic Last: Everything You Ever Wanted To Ask - April 24, 2021
- How Long Do Tortillas Last? - April 24, 2021