So you decided to take up sewing as a new hobby? Or you have years of experience with different sewing projects and are looking for an upgrade to your old sewing machine?
Picking the best sewing machine depends on your skill levels, your budget as well as the projects you are planning on working on.
If you are a newbie sewist, you probably want to invest in a simple and less expensive machine, which will help you learn the sewing basics. While as more advanced sewists may want to look into buying a higher end sewing machine with more specialized features and a more durable make.
Today, there are machines which are suitable for embroidery, quilting and for serging seams. There are also heavy duty sewing machines which will allow you to work with tougher fabrics and materials such as vinyl and leather.
We have tested dozens of sewing machines, to come up with our ultimate list of the best sewing machines available in 2020.
Read on to find out more about each one, and pick the machine which best suits your needs and your budget.
We love the Brother CS6000i because it is easy to use, so both new sewists and advanced ones will enjoy using it, especially given its very affordable price. It is perfect for sewing and for quilting, as well as for completing large projects, thanks to its extra wide detachable table which provides all the space you need for your quilting materials.
This sewing machine has a user-friendly design and an easy to read stitch selector and a large backlit LCD display. You get to choose among 60 different intricate stitches including decorative ones and 7 buttonhole styles. All you need to do is enter the number of the stitch of your choice and you are set to go. So, you don’t have to fiddle with adjusting the stitch width and length manually.
The automatic needle threader is a must-have, especially if you have failing eyesight or are not so dexterous.
The speed can be adjusted so you will have complete control over your project at all times. It can reach to up to 850 stitches per minute,. It is one of the fastest sewing machines we tested, and yet we were pleasantly surprised that it isn’t as noisy as some of the other high-speed machines. Plus, thanks to the easy manual speed control, you don’t have to focus on pressing the pedal harder if you want a higher speed. In fact, you can abstain from using the pedal altogether with this fine machine.
The machine also has a built-in free arm which is perfect for sewing pant legs, sleeves, cuffs or other cylindrical garments.
The CS6000i has 9 presser feet for overcasting, buttonhole, zipper, blind stitch, zigzag, monogramming, button fitting, and spring action quilting and walking. In fact, it is one of the machines which we tested with the most added presser feet.
It also has a sharp thread cutter, a seam ripper, bobbins, a cleaning brush, and a useful LED light so you can see how the sewing is going at all times.
It is sold with a solid hard carrying and storage case, which is great for those you who need to take their sewing machine to sewing classes or when traveling. And you don’t have to worry about carrying it with you as it weighs less than 13 lbs.!
Even if you are completely new to sewing machines, don’t worry. The Brother CS6000i sewing and quilting machine comes with a very detailed manual, an instructional DVD and a quick start guide to get you going.
Best of all, it is sold with a 25-year warranty by Brother, so you can rest assured that you will get the assistance you need if anything goes wrong with the amazingly simple and yet versatile sewing machine.
Our runner-up is yet another excellent computerized sewing machine from Brother who partnered up with Project Runway to make this superb machine. The XR9550PRW has an amazing array of 110 built-in stitches to choose from. You can choose between the numerous stitch types which include some beautiful decorative, utility and heirloom stitches. You also will get a choice of 8 additional one-step buttonhole styles with an auto-sizing option with this machine.
The backlit large LCD display makes choosing the stitches and making the adjustments a breeze.
You don’t need to fiddle with the threading, as the XR9550PRW has a nifty automatic threader for the needle. This is a superb feature for those of you who don’t have perfect eyesight or a steady hand. Plus, thanks to the drop-in bobbin system, getting the bobbin ready for use will take just a few moments.
The machine has a detachable large table for quilting and other larger projects. It also is sold with a hard case to keep it stored safely as well as for easy travel and portability. The weight of this machine is a little over 10 lbs. so it won’t be a hassle to move it around.
The feet included with the sewing machine are for zigzag, blind stitch, buttonhole, overcasting, monogramming, spring action quilting and button sewing. The machine may be lightweight, but it can handle both delicate and tough materials with ease.
This is another perfectly affordable machine which is simple enough to be suitable for newbies, and yet has a wide range of features which most of you advanced sewists will truly enjoy as well.
It has a smart and clean design, with a footprint of 20 x 12.5 x 17.8 inches and will look great in your workspace.
The warranty for the chassis is 25 years, and you will get a 1-year warranty for the parts and labor and 2 years for the electrical parts too.
Overall, at this price, its ease of use and the multitude of adjustable features, the XR9550PRW is possibly one of the best buys available in 2020.
It has 27 built-in stitches to choose from including some basic ones, decorative, zigzag, blind hem and stretch stitches. It also has a one-step buttonhole setting to make those buttonholes look perfect every time. Selecting the stitch of your choice is easy peasy, and so is the threading and the bobbin loading thanks to the automatic needle threader and the top-loading bobbin.
The budget-friendly XM2701 comes with 6 presser feet including feet for zippers, narrow hemming, blind stitching, buttonholes, zigzag and for button sewing, and can handle tougher materials such as denim without a problem.
The speed can be adjusted from very slow to up to 800 stitches per minute.
The built-in free arm is great for properly and easily making sleeves and pant legs.
Plus, the XM2701 has a twin needle capability which is very useful for hemming and is a great feature to have in an entry-level sewing machine.
It is sold with a useful instructional DVD, a user manual in two languages and free technical support by Brother. You will also get a 3 piece needle set, a spool pin, 4 bobbins, a darning plate and a screwdriver with this affordable sewing machine from Brother.
The XM2701 too has a 25-year limited warranty as our top picks.
It is an excellent choice both for beginners, as well as for advanced sewists who are looking for a more versatile sewing machine, and thanks to its small size and light weight it is a great choice for a second machine to take on the road.
Our other top picks for 2020
Singer has been making sewing machines since 1851 and is still the manufacturer of the most durable and top-preferred sewing machines in the world. The Singer 4411 is one of the best ones to buy, especially if you do a lot of sewing, and expect the machine to serve you well for decades.
– A heavy-duty design, perfect for all types of products and materials, including canvas, denim, and others
– The metal frame will endure years of use and provides superb stability
– The machine is powered by a mighty motor which can produce up to 1,000 stitches per minute
– 11 integrated stitches, including 6 basic, 4 decorative and 1 buttonhole
– The buttonhole feature is highly efficient and will allow you to create a buttonhole in just 4 quick steps
– You can adjust the length of the stitches via the large and easy to use dial
– You can also change the width of the stitches
– The machine has a built-in reverse function to start and end your seams securely and easily
– Suitable for sewing garments, home décor, crafting, and more
– The needle is adjustable to 3 positions, for zippers, decorative touches, cording, topstitching
– Easy to adjust foot presser, so you can efficiently work with the most delicate and the most robust fabrics with ease
– There are 4-foot presser feet, including an all-purpose, a buttonhole, a zipper and a button sewing one
– It has a stainless steel bedplate for seamless and smooth gliding
– Easy to insert drop-in bobbin with a clear cover
– There is a free arm and an onboard storage compartment
– You can download and use the Singer Sewing Assistant app for advice and tips for the machine
– The size of the machine is 15.5 x 6.25 x 12 inches, and it weighs 14.5 lbs.
– Sold with a 1-year warranty by Singer
The Balhvit Mini may look like a cute toy, but this small-sized sewing machine is a fully functional one. It is an excellent option for teaching children how to sew, for DIYers who don’t have room for a bulky machine, and for beginners.
– This petite sewing machine is just 7.9 x 7.5 x 3.9 inches in size, which makes it a great choice for children, or for people who want to take it with them to classes or do not have too much space for a traditional one
– It is a superb option for smaller projects
– You can use it for multiple sewing layers of fabric, and even some thicker ones
– It offers an option for using a push button or a pedal switch
– It has a two sewing line design – from the bottom and from the top for high-quality sewing
– The large spool has a rewind device for replacing the bobbin
– It has a high and a low speed
– The small-sized machine is very straightforward and safe to use
– It is one of the most affordable sewing machines
The Juki Garnet MO664D is an easy to use, reliable and sturdy home serger overlock machine, which is of professional quality but comes at a very reasonable price. It is a superb choice for beginners and for experienced sewists and has a variety of features that will make your projects and garments end up with a professional finish and look.
– It has two needles and 2, 3 and 4 thread serger overlock options
– Thanks to its built-in hemming and its differential feed, using it is seamless and easy even if you are not experienced
– It comes with a 3-foot kit which consists of a cording, a presser, and a blind stitch foot
– The machine has an easy to understand and use color-coded guide for quick and hassle-free threading
– You can adjust the length of the stitches from 1-4mm via a knob on the machine
– The differential feed can also be adjusted with a knob on the side of the unit
– It has tension dials which are clearly marked and require a single rotation for adjusting the tension of the thread
– It has a built-in narrow or wide, 2 or 3 thread rolled hemming option
– There is also a powerful knife system with its own drive
– The upper knife will adjust itself automatically
– The knife system is sturdy and will enable you to easily cut even the thickest and heaviest fabrics
– It has a sewing speed of maximum 1,500 stitches per minute
– Its overlocking width options are 8mm for left needle, 4mm for right needle and 2mm for rolled hems
– You will also receive 50 needles, and 8 cones of black, white and eggshell thread, threading tools, maintenance tools, and replacement parts and a vinyl cover
– Its dimensions are 10.6 x 13.4 x 11.6 inches, and it weighs 18.4 lbs.
Many people still use their grandmother’s Singer sewing machines without fail, and there is a good reason for that. Singer is a leading sewing machine manufacturer, known for its reliable and durable products.
The Singer Professional 14T968DC 5 serger overlock is a top of the line option for advanced professional or home sewists.
– A 2,3,4 and 5 thread stitching capability for professional results
– Suitable for all types of projects – big or small
– A self-adjusting tension system via the turn of a knob according to the added stitch chart
– A maximum speed of 1,300 stitches per minute, and at the same time will trim and overcast
– An easy to switch rolled hem sewing mode
– It will sew, finish and trim the excess material for seams all in one
– It has a wide variety of stitch options for seams, rolled hems, hems, decorative edges, several cover-stitching choices, double chain stitching, and many more
– 4 built-in rolled hems
– An adjustable cutting width setting
– Adjustable stitch length and width
– A color-coded threading system
– A clean compartment to capture all of the trimmed fabric for a neater workspace
– It operates quietly, thanks to its vibration-absorbing heavy-duty metal frame
– Its size is 13.5 x 10.5 x 11.5 inches, and it weighs 18.6 lbs.
– It has a nifty built-in arm for sleeves, pants, and more
– Sold with a 25-year warranty for the sewing head, and a 2-year warranty for the motor, and other components
- Heavy duty and sturdy make – suitable for heavyweight fabrics and materials thanks to the motor which is 60% more powerful than in other sewing machines
- A very high speed of up to 1,100 stitches per minute
- 32 built-in stitches including basic, stretch, decorative a fully automatic buttonhole
- A smooth fabric feed and flow thanks to the stainless steel bedplate
- A metal frame ensures consistent and skip-free stitching
- Automatic and frustration-free threading of the needle
- Comes with 4 snap-on presser feet – all-purpose, zipper, buttonhole and button and 2 bonus feet for even feed and a non-stick foot
- The accessories are stored in the built-in accessory tray and include: a seam ripper, quilting guide, lint brush, bobbins, an extra spool pin, a spool pin felt, size 16 heavy duty needles and a clearance plate, and screwdriver
- Top drop-in bobbin
- A free arm for sleeves, cuffs and pant hems
- An extra-high presser foot lifter which allows for easy maneuvering of bulky fabrics under it
- Adjustable presser foot pressure to accommodate to the different types of fabrics
- The length of the stitches is adjustable, and the machine can stitch up to 6mm in width
- An automatic reverse function to reinforce the stitching
- A soft dust cover
- Suitable for all kinds of sewing projects including fashion, crafts, home décor, quilting, heirloom, and decorative sewing
- 100 built-in stitches, including 7 automatic buttonholes and 76 decorative stitches
- A built-in needle threader
- A speed of up to 750 stitches per minute and a lever and a foot pedal for easy speed control
- Easy push-button stitch selection
- The stitch lengths and widths are preset, but you can adjust each and every one of them manually too
- 10 Presser Feet: all-purpose foot, blind hem foot, buttonhole foot, quarter inch foot, darning or freehand embroidery foot, narrow rolled hem foot, satin stitch foot, gathering foot, overcasting foot, and zipper foot
- Accessories included: needles, bobbins, a needle plate, a darning plate, thread spool caps, extra spool pin, spool pin felt, seam ripper, screwdrivers and a lint brush
- Computerized and easy to control via the large LCD display
- A 6 segment feeding system
- Reverse stitching
- Horizontal threading
- Electronic start and stop
- Programmable lowering or raising of the needle
- A clutch for automatic bobbin winding
- Extra high foot lifter to move thicker fabric easily
- Lightweight and portable – only 14.6 lbs.
- Instruction manual in English, French, Spanish and an intro DVD
- 25-year limited guarantee
- 50 built-in stitches for garment making, quilting, decoration, and heirloom – all are printed out on the front of the machine for easy viewing and reference
- 5 one-step buttonhole stitches which are sized automatically
- Large LCD display
- Very small footprint, lightweight and a nifty carrying handle for added portability
- A free arm for sleeves, cuffs, and pants
- 6 specialty presser feet: zippers, blind hems, overcasting,
- twin needle top stitching
- easy threading of the needle via the built-in automatic threader and the one-step quick set drop-in bobbin
- A LED light for a better view of the work area
- Vertical spool pin provides a reliable and consistent feed
- An effective feed system for smoother movement of the fabric
- You can do free-motion quilting projects thanks to the drop feed
- 25 year limited warranty
- Affordable price
How to choose the best sewing machine
Sewing machines are quite complex machines with a lot of features, so it is not so easy to pick the best one, especially if you have no experience. Expert sewists recommend that you pick a sewing machine based on its ease-of-use, as well as on other features including the built-in stitches, the sewing speed, automatic threader, one-step buttonholes, the number and types of presser feet and other accessories and features.
Here are the basic characteristics to look for when you are shopping for a sewing machine:
Make sure that the machine has a heavy duty case which provides a nice and solid footprint. If you want a portable machine, choose a smaller and lighter one, but keep in mind that sewing machines which are too light can wobble around when you are working with heavier fabrics. On the other hand, a machine which is too heavy is not suitable for those of you who want to take it to classes with you or to move it around easily.
Automatic needle threading
This is a time-saving feature, which is a must-have if your eyesight is not too good, or if you have shaky hands. It is a great convenience both for novice and for advanced sewists.
Easy bobbin installation and winding systems
Like the above, this feature will save you a lot of time and hassle of having to wind the bobbin and to load it. the easier and faster it is – the more time you will have to enjoy working on your projects.
Type of machine and versatility
We have picked some all-in-one sewing machines for you. Even though some of them are specialized for embroidery, and others have added features for quilting, most of our top picks have them all in one, so there is no need to buy a machine designed specifically for just one craft.
Our top picks are from Brother and Singer which are the leading manufacturers of non-professional sewing machines. Both sell top quality sewing machines which come with 25-year limited warranties and a reliable customer care and technical assistance service.
The different sewing machines on our list have different numbers and types of built-in stitches. Choose the one which has the types of stitches you are most likely to use. Also, pick a machine which has an easy stitch choice and adjustment control. Thankfully, all of the sewing machines we have picked for you are user-friendly and easy to set and adjust.
Look for a machine which has a free arm, a detachable table, a carry case or cover, and other added accessories, which will ensure that you can use it for multiple purposes and for different types of projects. The more presser feet and accessories you receive with the sewing machine, the less you will need to spend on buying them separately afterward.
We have chosen affordable sewing machines for you. Our top budget choice costs less than $100, and the others are also very reasonably priced, given the quality provided and all the features they have.
Did you find the perfect sewing machine for your needs?
If you are still deliberating among the various options we have provided you, don’t worry because whichever one you pick – you will be making a wise investment and choice!
We are glad if we have helped make your choice, and wish you many fun-filled hours with your new sewing machine!
Now that you have your hands on the sewing machine of your dreams, all you need to do is find a great pattern, some beautiful fabric, and good quality threads, and you are set to go!
Good luck with your sewing projects and we hope you enjoy your new machine as much as we enjoyed testing our top 10 best sewing machine picks!
Last update on 2020-07-05 at 22:53 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API