Tired of scooping out the mess and clump litter out of your cat’s litter box? Thank God for cat lovers like me that there are now some excellent self-cleaning litter boxes out there on the market.
After meticulously testing most of them, and after talking to other cat parents who have experience with these self-cleaning litter boxes, I have come up with my top picks for the best self-cleaning litter boxes for 2019.
Hope it helps you choose the one which is right for you and your kitties.
With the ScoopFree Top-Entry Ultra Automatic litter box, you can say goodbye to the nasty smell and the dreaded task of having to manually scoop away your kitty’s litter. This self-cleaning litter box has an innovative design and allows for the cat to crawl inside and do its business in private, after which the automatic rake will sweep through the box and push all the mess away from your sight and from your nose.
With a litter box like this, you can rest assured that your cat is comfortable and that your home is odor free, as it can work without needing a refill for a few weeks.
As soon as it comes time to perform the refill you can just place the lid on the disposable tray and throw it out – without the mess and without touching anything with your hands.
- The enclosed design allows for privacy of the cat and also eliminates the view and smell of the litter
- The box needs refilling only one per several weeks, and the refilling process is completely clean and mess-proof
- The crystal litter is track proof and combined with the grated surface on top of the hood, you will not have to deal with litter spread around your home anymore
- There is a nifty health counter which will allow you to monitor how often your cat uses the box, and if everything is alright with it
- No scooping is required
- The track proof crystal litter absorbs the urine and dehydrates any solid waste, after which the rake scoops it away into a covered waste trap to keep the smell away
- The self-cleaning litter box comes with a top entry hood, a disposable litter tray and a bag of premium Crystal litter and a power adaptor
- The potty area is 15.5 x 14 inches in size
- It cannot be used for kittens under the age of 6 months
- The litter box does not work with standard kitty litter
This reasonably priced self-cleaning litter box is a superb option if you are particularly sensitive to the odor of traditional litter boxes. It is designed to provide comfort for the cat, as well as for you, and requires refilling once in a few weeks only.
With the ScoopFree self-cleaning litter box, you will save a lot of time and effort of having to manually scoop the cat litter and to change it every other day. The crystal litter and the design of the hood will prevent your cat from carrying around litter around your home.
It is also comfortable for all kinds of cats and provides discretion for your felines, as well as an odor-free and clean environment for you.
For those of you who are not ready to spend more than about 50 dollars for a litter box, the Omega Paw Elite is a great option. It uses a sifting grill for depositing the waste, which you can easily throw out without handling it or needing to scoop.
- Much cheaper than other self-cleaning litter boxes
- Has a great design with pretty chrome accents
- Features a built-in litter step which keeps the litter inside the box
- Dimensions are 16.5 x 17 x 20 inches, but it is also available in a large size with a size of 23 x 20 x 19 inches
- The grate which sifts the waste is durable and strong
- The waste drawer is easy to pull out and in for easy and mess-free cleaning
- An excellent option for large sized cats and for homes where there are more than one cats
- Uses less litter than traditional litter boxes, which will save you tons of money in the long run
- Doesn’t need electrical or battery power
- Can be a bit difficult to set up
- Refilling and scooping may be a bit tricky at first
The Omega Paw Elite self-cleaning litter box is just perfect for people who are not willing to pay hundreds of dollars and yet still want a convenient and less messy way to deal with cat litter.
It is a sturdy litter box which is large enough even for larger cats and will help you keep your home clean from kitty litter and other messy stuff getting all over the house.
If you dread the time of the week when you need to clean your kitty’s litter box, this self-cleaning litter box by ScoopFree will give you peace of mind. It does not need to be scooped or the litter replaced for weeks.
The box has an automatic rake system which will scoop away the mess into a closed waste compartment and thus keep the air free of smell and the view free of any messy stuff.
- The automatic rake will scoop the waste away in either 5, 10 or 20 minutes after the cat has left the litter box
- The tray needs replacement after 20 to 30 days for households with only one cat
- The box has safety sensors which will stop the rake if the cat has entered the box again
- It has a healthy counter which allows for easy tracking of the activity of the cat and the times it has entered the litter box
- There is a privacy hood for added comfort for the cat and also for keeping the litter and any smell inside the box too
- The litter box comes with a full tray of crystal litter
- The waste tray has plastic liners which will keep the smell and the waste in without risk of leaks
- The easy to clean disposable trays will save you the hassle of handling any waste with your hands and having to clean and wash them
- The self-cleaning litter box is very reliable and has been tested for risks of jamming
- The system uses about 5 to 10 times less cat litter than traditional litter boxes which use clay or clumping litter
- The crystal litter is much more efficient in absorbing urine and smells as well as for drying solid waste than regular cat litter
- It has a long 10-foot power cord, so you can place it anywhere
- The size of the box is 27.5 x 19 x 16 inches, and the size of the entrance is 8.5 x 8.5 inches
- Not suitable for handicapped cats or kittens under the age of 6 months
The ScoopFree Ultra Automatic Cat Litter Box is a convenient self-cleaning litter box which is suitable for cats of all sizes, as well as for homes with more than one feline.
The box will do the cooing work for you and will also eliminate the odors, and all you will need to do is replace the tray with the crystals once per 20-30 days.
With a self-cleaning litter box like this, both you and your cat will be happy.
Note: This is our top pick but it is temporarily out of stock.
Do you wish that your cat can learn to use the toilet and flush after it is done with its business? The innovative Catgenie 120 is just like a small toilet which uses your home sewage system to automatically clean all of the cat waste!
It uses washable litter granules rather than regular litter, which will save you, loads of money, and it will do the scooping and cleaning job instead of you at all times!
- It uses the home sewage system for flushing the waste and wash itself off, so you don’t need to handle it yourself
- The system doesn’t use regular litter but washable granules which will keep your cat happy and will save you money, plus they are septic safe and eco-friendly
- You will never have to pay for cat litter again
- The programmable interface allows you to schedule one to four cleaning cycles per day
- It is perfect for up to three cats or kittens over 6 months old
- It is made of heavy-duty materials and has a large litter space, so it can hold even larger cats
- It has a sensor which accurately detects when the cat has used the toilet and after a 10-minute delay it proceeds to get rid of the waste, wash, disinfect and then dry the granules
- The dimensions of the unit are 19.25 x 16 inches on the bottom and 21 inches high, but there must be space for the water supply and the drainage hoses
- The cat toilet comes with a box of the reusable washable granules as well as with a SaniSolution cartridge for disinfection and washing – the included supplies are sufficient for 3 months for a single cat and 2 months for 2 kitties
- It has a sleep function which can turn it off for 14 to 24 hours, and after that the unit will switch itself on and clean out all the waste accumulated
- The walls of the litter area will prevent your cat from kicking out any litter and making a mess
- You do need to have sufficient room for the litter box near a water main and water source and a power source nearby
- You do need to do some installing of the device – hooking up the two hoses to the water source for the flushing and the other to the sewage system
- You need to buy branded supplies for it
The Cat Genie 120 is a perfect and competitively priced automatic self-cleaning litter box which functions as a little cat toilet. It is great if you hate dealing with scooping waste and changing the regular litter. The reusable granules are biodegradable and are regularly washed, sanitized and dried for your cat’s comfort and for a nicer environment at home. The waste is flushed into your sewage system.
This is a must for cat owners who never want to deal with scooping and handling dirty litter again!
If you want a convenient and effective self-cleaning litter box, yet you are not ready to break the bank, here is one which is budget friendly and yet does the job of cleaning out your cat’s waste.
This self-cleaning litter box costs less than $100 but is highly efficient in eliminating the mess and the smell associated with traditional litter boxes. It is silent and durable and is very easy to use and clean.
- Very affordable price
- It is possibly the quietest of all the self-cleaning litter boxes on the market, so even the most nervous cat won’t be intimidated by it
- It uses less clumping clay than regular litter boxes
- Low power consumption
- It cleans constantly which helps keep waste out of eyesight and odors away from your nose
- Very easy maintenance with a handy removable waste bin which you can cover with a small bag for easy and clean disposal
- No additional branded supplies and attachments are required for its operation, and it works with all kinds of clumping and clay scooping cat litter
- It rotates once per hour
- It works for several kittens and cats up to 15 lbs. and has a spacious litter area to make them comfortable
- If you have one cat, you will need to clean the unit once every 2 weeks
- Requires little and very simple assembly
- The dimensions of the device are 30 x 20 x 9 inches
- It is sold with a litter bowl guard and a 6 foot corded AC adaptor
- The item is sold with a 1-year warranty
- You may want to buy a litter trailing mat for underneath the litter box
The Pet Safe Simply Clean is an affordable and very efficient way to ensure that your kitty always has a clean litter area, and so that you don’t need to go and scoop the waste every time your pet does its business.
It is very quiet, uses less clumping clay than traditional litter boxes and is power efficient.
Overall, this is an excellent product for the amazing price it is offered at!
If your cats are used to using a traditional litter box, the Pet Zone Smart Scoop is the most suitable self-cleaning litter box to get them to use without stressing them out.
It looks like a normal litter box but has an automatic rake system which scoops the waste to a designated waste bag in an enclosed box.
- It has a sensor which detects whether the cat is in or out of the box and starts scooping 15 minutes later
- A rake scoops out the mess and disposes of it in the waste bag
- Large litter area suitable for cats of all sizes as well as for more than one cats – it is available in big size (26 x 18.25 x 7.5 inches) and in regular size (25.5 x 16.8 x 7.5 inches)
- It needs emptying only once per a couple of days or once a week if you have only one cat
- You can use any disposable bag or the branded SmartScoop degradable waste bags
- Very solid construction, easy assembly
- A ramp for old or disabled cats as well as for limiting litter trailing
- Can operate with all kinds of clumpy kitty litter
- A carbon filter limits the odor (the box comes with a carbon filter and 6 biodegradable bags which are sufficient for a whole month)
- 1-year warranty
- It doesn’t work with crystals only with clumping litter and is not as fully automatized as other self-cleaning litter boxes
The Smart Scoop will scoop all of your cat’s waste for you, so all you need to do is to remove and replace the disposal bag once in a while.
It is designed so as not to confuse or scare of cats, so you won’t have problems adapting them to the self-cleaning litter box from a regular one.
This is a sturdy and efficient unit available at a very reasonable price for the service it provides!
If you are willing to invest in the best possible self-cleaning litter box of 2019 and want a device which will handle all the messy work instead of you, then you should definitely consider purchasing the Litter Robot III Open Air.
With this top of the line fully automatic self-cleaning box you will have minimal contact with the waste in the litter and thus make your life easier, as well as limit the risk of contracting toxoplasmosis.
Also, the magical Litter Robot III Open Air will eliminate the smell and the mess of scooping and cleaning up after your precious fur ball.
- The dome-shaped self-cleaning litter box has a large entrance and litter area which is suitable for kitties sized from 5lbs. up to 20lbs.
- You will pay twice as less for kitty litter once you start using this robotized litter box
- The Litter Robot III is suitable for households with more than one cat
- It is made of premium materials and is well made, so you can be pretty sure that it will ensure a lot of wear and tear
- The unit will minimize the smell of urine and feces in your home
- You can restfully leave your cats alone for a few days without worrying about their comfort or the mess they will make while you are gone
- The litter box has an automatic night light for when the kitty decides to use it ta night
- It has sensors which detect when a cat has entered and when it leaves the litter box
- The cleaning can be set for 3 to 15 minutes after the cat has left the area
- The device has a rotating mechanism to collect the waste which will further minimize the need for cleaning, emptying, and refilling
- If you are a light sleeper, you can set a sleep timer for up to 8 hours, which will postpone the rotation of the scooping and cleaning mechanism
- An indicator will let you know when it is time to empty the waste tray
- This is a plug and play device, no assembly is required
- The safety sensor will stop the cleaning cycle if a cat happens to re-enter the litter box
- The unit is sold with a 90-day money back guarantee and an 18-month warranty
- It is more expensive than some of the other self-cleaning litter boxes on our list
- The capacity is limited to cats weighing up to 20 lbs.
- The rotating mechanism does make noise which some timid or nervous cats will not like
The Litter Robot III Open Air is definitely one of the best self-cleaning litter boxes of 2019. It is fully automatic, can be adjusted in accordance with your preferences, and requires no assembly and little maintenance.
It is a sturdy automatic self-cleaning litter box which will do all of the scooping and cleaning for you, so you can get to enjoy the company of your feline friends without the mess and inconvenience of having to scoop and handle the waste after they use the litter box.
I hope that I have helped you make up your mind about the type of self-cleaning litter box which will suit your needs best.
Personally, I love most of these self-cleaning waste receptacles, so I can hardly choose the best one. This is why I have objectively reviewed them for you, including all the pros and cons, to help you find the perfect “scoop-less” solution for dealing with your cat’s natural needs without the mess, smell and hassle involved.
Overall, these are the best self-cleaning litter boxes I have tested and found in 2019, and I am pretty sure that you will find the best one suitable for your needs in this list as well.
Good luck with your purchase, and hopefully both you and your fur babies will be very happy with your choice!