Are you attracted by the idea to travel with a tent which can be set up in minutes, and which doesn’t take up space in your vehicle? With a roof top tent like the Tuff Stuff Ranger Overland tent, you will find out how easy, comfortable and safe camping can be.
We have picked the top best roof top tents for 2020 for you, so read on to find out more about these brilliant camping accessories.
- Sleeps 2 adults comfortably
- Made of PVC coated heavy duty 400D Oxford fabric which is waterproof, durable, mold resistant and breathable
- It comes with a mattress
- The windows can be opened and have screens to keep the insects out
- A retractable ladder with wide and safe treads to get in and out easily
- The dimensions of the tent when unfolded are 4.3’ (W) x 7.9’ (L) x 7.89” (H)
- The low profile and height of the tent makes it wind resistant
- The weight of the tent is only 88.18 lbs.
- Fits on just about any vehicle roof or rack
- It can be mounted so it opened on the rear or on either side of the vehicle
- A 1000D cover keeps the tent protected while traveling or during storage
- It comes with a rod kit, mounting studs, and a flysheet
- You can get quick release latches by Front Runner to make loading and unloading the tent even easier
With this ARB Simpson Tent set you will not only receive a tent which you can set up to sleep on top of your vehicle, but you will also get an aluminum ladder to easily climb up to your sleeping space, as well as a side annex, which will cover the ladder and create dry and safe storage space, or changing area too.
- Made by ABS who are among the leaders in 4×4 off-road and Overlanding products
- Easy to open and fold up thanks to a nifty bungee cord system which keeps the walls in place
- Offers protection from the dampness and wildlife
- The tent comes with a twist-lock pull-out awning
- It comes with a 2.5 inch thick mattress made of high-density foam
- The mattress has a removable and washable cover
- It can sleep up to 3 people comfortably
- A zip-on annex which can be used as a changing room or for storage
- The annex is made of poly-cotton and is 100% waterproof and UV resistant
- A retractable aluminum ladder to get up and down, which has a capacity of up to 265 lbs.
- There is a water repellent fly shield made of oxford polyester with a 1000mm water head
- The tent and annex have taped sealed seams and all-weather vents
- The tent has mesh screens on the two windows and the door to keep bugs out and let air in
- The tent and parts come with a laminated welded PVC cover with a triple strap design
- It can be mounted easily on just about any rated cross bar systems and ARB’s roof racks
- You can unfold the tent from either side or from the rear of the vehicle
- The bedding can remain inside the tent when it is folded so that you can set it up quickly and easily at your next stop
- There are two nifty show pockets in the annex
- It open dimensions are 55 (W) x 94.50 (L) x 51 (H) inches
- When folded, it is 55 (W) x 47.2 (L) x 12 (H) inches
- Its weight is 154 lbs
- Suitable for all-season use
- It sleeps up to 3 people comfortably
- It comes with a soft and comfy, fire-retardant foam full mattress which is 92 x 55 inches in size and 2 inches thick
- The mattress has a removable and washable protective cover
- The added rainfly is made of 600D heavy duty waterproof ripstop impregnated polyurethane and so is the tent top
- The large side windows have mosquito nets and provide excellent ventilation and insect protection
- The tent has a sky roof for some added air and a perfect view of the stars
- Its size when open is 95 (W) x 56 (L) x 51 (H) inches, and when closed is 58 x 49 x 51 inches
- The weight of the tent is 116.5 lbs.
- It is sold with sturdy anodized aluminum poles, a telescopic ladder, which can extend to 6.5ft. for easy entering and getting out, LED strips for added light inside and others
- You can access the tent from either the driver’s or the passenger’s side
- The tent is sold with a heavy-duty protective cover, which will keep the tent from the harmful UV rays, rain, water and mold
- The mounting brackets are also included in the package
- It has a light and waterproof flysheet made of 420D oxford and attached with steel poles and tension rods
- There is a nifty outside storage bag for your shoes
- The tent is also available in XL size which can sleep up to 4 people, a ladder extension for lifted Wranglers can also be purchased separately as well as an additional 84 x 60-inch tent annex to increase the sleeping and living space
- The tent has a 12V power adapter
- It can be mounted on nearly all types of roof racks
- The rooftop tent is sold with Smittybilt’s Advantage warranty which includes a lifetime coverage for the steel parts and extended limited warranties for other parts
The rest of our favorite roof top tents for 2020
- The durable shell is made of PU plastic, and the tent is made of polyester canvas covered with waterproof Oxford PU coating
- The frame is made of aluminum
- It comes in various colors and with different colored shells
- Can fit most vehicles which have factory or other roof rails or cross bars
- Very compact closed dimensions of 84 x 49 x 13 inches
- The exterior size is 84 x 49 x 37 inches when opened
- The interior is 82 x 47 x 34 inches when opened – perfect for 1 or 2 people
- A weight of 166 lbs.
- Strap snaps for easy closing
- A handy bungee net on the roof to store your clothes, gear, and others
- Easy closure via inside and outside zippers
- Very easy to pop up thanks to the shock assisted arms and locking system
- A pre-installed 82 x 47 x 2-inch soft memory foam mattress
- Sold at an excellent price and with an added telescoping ladder, a storage bag, and a flashlight
- It can fit all vehicles with rear windows which can raise out and up and with a tailgate of at least 58 inches of width
- Fits all SUV’s and full-size vehicles with a tailgate and on flat back or high back camper tops
- It can be installed on a carrier rack or on an airfoil
- Very easy to set up and attach securely via the included elastic shock cords with added hooks
- Provides excellent ventilation thanks to the 2 no-see-um mesh windows behind the doors
- 2-way zippers for easy access and entry from the rear side of the vehicle
- The tent comes with a durable carry bag
- All walls and the roof are coated with polyester
- Blue walls and a tan roof
- When packed its size is only 11 x 11 x 6 inches, and it weighs 5 lbs.
- The materials are fire retardant and waterproof
- The tent costs less than $200
The Tepui Explorer Series Kukenam Tent can sleep up to 3 people and comes with a retractable 8 foot ladder for easy access and exit. It is among the easiest rooftop tents to set up and fold down and will keep you comfortably off the ground, no matter where you happen to park your vehicle.
Plus, it comes with two huge star gazing windows.
- The tent is built to endure all types of weather conditions and elements, so it is an all-season tent
- It can sleep up to 3 people
- It is made of premium quality 600D ripstop and 260g poly-cotton fabric which offers wind and rain protection
- The fabric is UV, and mold resistant
- The roof has two sky panels for ventilation and stargazing
- It also has a waterproof rain fly with quick release clips on the panels
- They are made of 260g breathable and waterproof coated canvas with no-see-um mesh for insect protection
- The rooftop tent comes with a telescoping ladder which is 8 feet high and 6 inches thick
- The footprint of the tent when opened is 56 x 96 inches, and when closed, it is 48 x 56 inches
- Setting it up can be done in less than 5 minutes by a single person
- It will fit any vehicle with a rated factory roof rack or one which has been added later on
The Raptor Series 100000-126800 OFFGRID Voyager rooftop tent sets up in minutes and is lighter than most of the tents in this class. It has an oversized door and an all-weather awning for ventilation and for the perfect panoramic view from the top of your Voyager Jeep or other SUV or truck.
- Mounts easily on the stock or aftermarket rack or crossbar system
- Sets up in seconds without the need of any additional setup
- It can sleep up to 2 people
- The tent comes with a double full mattress of 78 x 48 inches, made of high-density foam
- It comes with a telescoping 8-foot ladder
- There is a large built-in awning, and the door opening is oversized for the perfect view from the rooftop
- The large net door can roll down easily
- The design and build of the tent will ensure that it withstands rain and heavy winds
- It comes with a sturdy cover for storage and protection when not in use
- The tent has vents with quick adjustment controls
- There are two hanging shoe storage pockets to keep the sleeping space clean, and your shoes close
- It is one of the lightest rooftop tents in its class and weighs 159 lbs.
If you are not ready to spend a thousand dollars or more on a roof top tent, we recommend you check out the reasonably priced Yakima Skyrise roof tent. It is a 3-season tent with a capacity of sleeping, two adults.
This is the smallest rooftop tent offered by Yakima, but still will provide you with 28 square feet or sleeping and living space, and comes with a comfortable plush soft foam mattress, so you won’t need to carry your inflatable mattresses and beds with you when traveling or camping.
The wall-to-wall mattress is 2.5 inches thick and comes with a removable protective cover which you can safely wash to keep things sanitary and neat in your tent.
The tent body and the added rainfly are both made of 210D nylon, and the rainfly has added a waterproof PU coating which will keep you nice and dry even during rainstorms.
Given that all materials used for the making of the Sunrise rooftop tent are lighter and breathable, you will sleep comfortably in it even during the hottest summer nights too. The tent has a skylight and windows with mesh screens which provide sufficient ventilation as well. All of the windows and the skylight can be unzipped and opened for an added breeze, and so you can enjoy some star gazing.
The tent is supported via lightweight and yet durable aluminum poles, and it also comes with a ladder so you can get in and out comfortably.
The tent has a capacity of 400 lbs., and can be mounted on just about any factory or aftermarket crossbar, but only if your vehicle has a rack and chassis which can support such a weight of source. You can easily find out whether your vehicle is compatible with this tent on Yakima’s website where there is a “Check my tent fit” option.
Thanks to the easy and tool-free mounting system, you can easily place and remove the roof tent from the rack. Once mounted, you can make sure it stays securely locked while driving or when using the tent via the SKS Lock Cores.
The dimensions of the tent are 48 (L) x 42 (W) x 16.50 (H) inches when closed, and 48 (L) x 84 (W) x 42 (H) inches when pitched, and it weighs only 95 lbs.
As we have already mentioned, this is the most budget friendly, high-quality roof tent which we have found, and it is sold with a 2-year limited warranty as well.
So, if you are not ready to break the bank but still want a roof tent which will fit you and your partner or friend comfortably wherever you go, you should opt for this excellent compact and light 3-season tent by Yakima. It is easy to install without any tools or screws required and setting it up can be done in a matter of minutes, so you will always have a comfy, large sized, soft bed, no matter where the road leads you.
Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic 4 Extended Roof Top Tent – Dark Gray Base with Green Rain Fly & Black Cover Universal
The Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic 4 Roof Top Tent is a perfect piece of gear for all off-road or outdoor adventurers who want to have a quick, safe and comfortable place to sleep no matter where they happen to land up.
- The tent can sleep up to 4 people
- It has a footprint for sleeping of 75 x 94.5 inches
- The tent is made of marine-grade 600D ripstop poly-cotton, waterproof canvas
- It comes with a rainfly constructed of 420D polyester oxford fabric which is 100% waterproof
- There is an added 3 inch thick, high-density foam mattress with a removable quilted cotton cover in the tent
- The base of the tent is insulated and made of premium aluminum for durability and safety
- The tent is sold with a telescoping, tubular ladder which is 96 inches long
- Inside the tent, there are 6 large storage pockets for your shoes and other gear
- It has added battery bank and loft storage, as well as a portable LED light included
- The tent comes with a 1000g PVC cover for transportation and protection
- It has stainless steel hardware and heavy-duty straps
- The tent is easy to set up and will fit most vehicles with rated factory or aftermarket racks
- It is backed by a 4-year warranty
FAQs about roof top tents
Are roof top tents more expensive than conventional tents?
The answer is – it depends. In general, roof tents are more expensive than normal tents of the same size and range, because they are much more advanced than tents for the ground. You can expect to pay over $1,000 for a roof top tent which sleeps 3 people or more, but of course, there are various models and brands and a relatively wide price range.
Which brands can I trust when buying a roof top tent?
There a quite a lot of manufacturers offering this type of tents, but if you want to buy a tent which will endure the weather conditions, sleep you comfortably, allow you to use it for years to come, and which is easy to set up and close, then you should look for a tent by one of the leading brands of roof top tent makers, including Tepui, Smittybilt, Yakima, Tuff Stuff or any of the other brands which we have added to our top favorite roof top tent list for 2020.
How many people can sleep in a roof tent?
As you can see from our list, this type of tents can comfortably sleep from 1 to more than 3 people. So, make sure you look for a tent which will suit your needs. Some of the tents on our list come with added annexes which are suitable for your pets, for a private changing area or for added storage, so think about purchasing a tent with an annex if you plan on going camping with your dogs or if you need some additional space for your cooking, changing or other needs.
Keep in mind, that due to their positioning, roof top tents usually can sleep up to 4 people, so if you have a large family, you may want to consider an alternative option for camping.
There are not many roof top tents, however, that fit more than 4 people. There’s just limited space on top of a roof and it’s hard to make a tent that goes on your car’s roof that can fit 5 or 6 people.
How difficult is setting up a roof top tent?
We have picked roof tents which are very easy to set up and close. Most of them do not require any tools to be opened and can be set up and made ready for use or sleep in a matter of minutes by one or two people.
But, due to their hefty weight, many of these tents do require more effort and time for the installation on the vehicle itself, so you will most probably need some help for handling and mounting your roof tent.
What are the advantages of roof tents?
Tents which are set up on top of vehicles have numerous advantages. Here are some of the main ones:
- These tents are very easy to set up, so you won’t be spending hours for assembling and disassembling a complicated tent on the ground with one of these
- A tent like this will keep you safe from animals on the ground, or at least will protect you more than a conventional tent on the ground will
- The roof top tents come with their own bedding, pads or mattresses, which eliminates the need for carrying and inflating sleeping pads and mattresses
- With a tent placed on top of your vehicle, you won’t have problems looking for a free and flat space to install your tent
- You can sleep wherever you want when traveling, so with a tent-like this you can spend each night at a different destination without the painstaking tent assembly, disassembly and storage involved
- The roof tent travels on the roof and can even fit your sleeping bags and bedding, which means that there will be more space for you and your gear in the vehicle
Do roof top tents have cons, and what are they?
As you know nobody and nothing is perfect, so roof top tents do have some drawbacks as well. Here are some of the cons of these tents:
- They are more expensive than regular tents of the same size, and the price goes up with the number of people which the roof tent can sleep
- You can sleep only where your vehicle can go, which means that if you want to camp in dense forests or other areas where you cannot reach with your car, this type of tent may not be the right option for you
- Mounting the roof top tent can be quite difficult if you are alone, so you will need help for lifting it and attacking it to the roof. The good news is once it is up – it is a breeze to open it and close it back
Can I use a roof tent for any kind of car?
First and foremost, you need a car which has a factory or aftermarket rack on top. Also, check the weight capacity of the rack before purchasing a roof tent. Make sure you check with the manufacturer whether your car or other vehicle is compatible with the tent you are interested in. For most of the tents, you will need a wagon type vehicle, a small SUV, a Jeep or van, depending on the size and model of the tent.
A roof top tent can change everything and all perceptions you have about camping. With a tent like this, you can sleep anywhere and at any time. You won’t spend half of your outdoor and travel time putting up a complicated tent. Instead, with a tent like one of our top favorite roof top tents, you can park the car, set up the tent in a matter of minutes and crawl in for a nap or to spend the night.
Hopefully, we have managed to help you decide which one of these amazing tents will be the best option for you, and pretty soon you will be the proud owner of one of these genius camping accessories.
So, good luck with your purchase, and happy camping!
- 25 Largest Dog Breeds Ever – 2020
- The 12 Best Wireless Dog Fences in 2020
- 41 Best Small Dog Breeds – List of Top Small Dogs with Pictures
- 20+ Hypoallergenic Dog Breeds in 2020
- The 9 Best GPS Dog Collars of 2020
Last update on 2020-07-15 at 17:43 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API