Are you attracted by the idea to travel with a tent which can be set up in minutes, and which doesn’t take up space in your vehicle? With a roof top tent like the Tuff Stuff Ranger Overland tent, you will find out how easy, comfortable and safe camping can actually be.
We have picked the top best roof top tents for 2019 for you, so read on to find out more about these brilliant camping accessories.
The Ranger Overland rooftop tent made by Tuff Stuff is our definite top favorite roof top tent for 2019. Like the name of the manufacturer suggests, this tent is heavy duty, durable and is “tough stuff” overall.
With a tent like this, you will be protected no matter where you are. It can fit two adults and a pet or child.
The tent is sold together with an annex room at a very reasonable price given its high quality and sturdiness.
The dimensions of the tent when opened are 56 (W) x 96 (L) x 52 (H) inches, and when closed are 12 (H) x 56 (W) x 48 (L) inches. When the overhang is on, the size of the opened roof top tent is 56 (W) x 96 (L) x 52 (H) inches.
The weight of the tent with the annex room and the poles and ladder is 132 lbs. and it has a weight capacity of 685 lbs. of course, depending on your roof rack as well.
This amazing tent comes with a 2.5 inch 56 x 96-inch high-density foam mattress. It can unfold off of any side or the rear of the vehicle.
The roof tent from Tuff Stuff has 3 windows with screens and awnings and is made of sturdy 280g poly cotton ripstop fabric which is treated with a waterproof coating to keep you and your stuff dry, comfortable, protected from UV rays as well as mold-free.
The tent also comes with a 420D polyester Oxford rainfly and an added 1000D PVC cover for driving.
You can comfortably sleep in the sleeping area for two, and place another queen-sized mattress, a cot or small table and chairs in the annex room which is 90 x 90 inches.
The actual installation of the tent on your vehicle roof rack can be a bit tricky, so you may want to ask a friend to help or watch one of the many available YouTube videos to see how it is done. It comes with absolutely everything and all tools required for installing it on the roof of your car or truck.
But once you install it on the roof of your vehicle, the tent is very easy to set up – all you need to do is unzip the driving cover, pull out the ladder and open the foldable tent. You can keep all of your bedding inside the tent even when it is closed, and you are traveling. Just lay it on top of the pre-installed mattress and you can hop right into bed only 5 minutes after you have stopped the vehicle. It also has an included hammock for hanging your gear as well as a nifty shoe bag for a tidier sleeping space.
It can be installed on most roof racks, and the recommended height for mounting it is 76-78 inches from the ground.
This is a 4-season tent which can withstand rain, snow, wind and other weather conditions. You don’t need any tools to set it up, and its easy setup makes it perfect for any road trip or camping trip.
Overall, the Ranger Overland rooftop tent is pretty much everything you would expect from good quality, easy and quick to set up tent. It comes with a number of accessories and is sold at a very reasonable price, so we strongly recommend it for couples or for people who need a roof tent for any occasion or destination during any season.
This 4-season, 3-person roof tent from Tepui is our other favorite tent of this kind for 2019 for various reasons. The Kukenam Sky tent is a perfect solution for all kinds of adventures and trips. You can get it in various colors and pattern including: camo, haze grey, olive green, and Siberian grey.
The tent comes with a canopy made of strong 600D poly cotton ripstop, with DWR treatment, a rainfly made of waterproof 420D polyester Oxford with a Polyurethane protective coating, and a 1000D protective travel cover. The base of the Kukenam Sky tent is made of durable aluminum, and so are all of its poles. The seams are taped for added protection against rain and humidity.
With a roof tent like this, you won’t worry about finding a flat and comfortable camping space ever again. All you need to do is park your vehicle, remove the protective cover, pull out the ladder and add several poles to pull up this amazingly cozy and comfortable tent.
You can say goodbye to the sleepless nights spent on uncomfortable rocks and uneven ground once you start using this roof tent by Tepui.
The base of the tent is made of soft cushy foam which will keep you comfortable all night long. Thanks to the PU coated canopy you needn’t worry about getting soaked no matter how much it is raining outside.
Apart from staying warm and dry in the cold seasons, you can use this tent in the warmest summer days and nights as well. It has no-see-through mesh window panels all around, all of which can be opened up including the skylight, so you can spend the night under the bright stars if you feel like it too.
The tent is sold with universal mounting brackets which can be installed on most roof racks and roof bars. Once you get it mounted, setting it up is a breeze, and you can do it on your own for just a few minutes. Folding it up is just as easy, and you can forget the frustration of having to deal with disassembling and putting back endless poles and parts every time you leave your camping site.
The dimensions of the tent base when it is open are 56 x 96 inches, and the footprint closes to 48 x 56 inches. The space is sufficient to sleep three adults.
With the Sky tent, you will be able to enjoy sleeping under the stars when the weather is nice and warm, but you will also stay warm, dry and protected from rain and snow, as well as from animals and people once you start using it for sleeping outdoors.
It is affordable, durable, easy to set up, and very comfortable, which we strongly recommend it as one of the best roof tents for this year!
Best budget choice
If you are not ready to spend a thousand dollars or more on a roof top tent, we recommend you check out the reasonably priced Yakima Skyrise roof tent. It is a 3-season tent with a capacity of sleeping, two adults.
This is the smallest rooftop tent offered by Yakima, but still will provide you with 28 square feet or sleeping and living space, and comes with a comfortable plush soft foam mattress, so you won’t need to carry your inflatable mattresses and beds with you when traveling or camping.
The wall-to-wall mattress is 2.5 inches thick and comes with a removable protective cover which you can safely wash to keep things sanitary and neat in your tent.
The tent body and the added rainfly are both made of 210D nylon, and the rainfly has added a waterproof PU coating which will keep you nice and dry even during rainstorms.
Given that all materials used for the making of the Sunrise rooftop tent are lighter and breathable, you will sleep comfortably in it even during the hottest summer nights too. The tent has a skylight and windows with mesh screens which provide sufficient ventilation as well. All of the windows and the skylight can be unzipped and opened for an added breeze and so you can enjoy some star gazing.
The tent is supported via lightweight and yet durable aluminum poles and it also comes with a ladder so you can get in and out comfortably.
The tent has a capacity of 400 lbs., and can be mounted on just about any factory or aftermarket crossbar, but only if your vehicle has a rack and chassis which can support such a weight of source. You can easily find out whether your vehicle is compatible with this tent on Yakima’s website where there is a “Check my tent fit” option.
Thanks to the easy and tool-free mounting system, you can easily place and remove the roof tent from the rack. Once mounted, you can make sure it stays securely locked while driving or when using the tent via the SKS Lock Cores.
The dimensions of the tent are 48 (L) x 42 (W) x 16.50 (H) inches when closed, and 48 (L) x 84 (W) x 42 (H) inches when pitched, and it weighs only 95 lbs.
As we have already mentioned, this is the most budget friendly, high-quality roof tent which we have found, and it is sold with a 2-year limited warranty as well.
So, if you are not ready to break the bank but still want a roof tent which will fit you and your partner or friend comfortably wherever you go, you should opt for this excellent compact and light 3-season tent by Yakima. It is easy to install without any tools or screws required and setting it up can be done in a matter of minutes, so you will always have a comfy, large sized, soft bed, no matter where the road leads you.
The rest of our favorite roof top tents for 2019
- Suitable for all-season use
- It sleeps up to 3 people comfortably
- It comes with a soft and comfy, fire-retardant foam full mattress which is 92 x 55 inches in size and 2 inches thick
- The mattress has a removable and washable protective cover
- The added rainfly is made of 600D heavy duty waterproof ripstop impregnated polyurethane and so is the tent top
- The large side windows have mosquito nets and provide excellent ventilation and insect protection
- The tent has a sky roof for some added air and a perfect view of the stars
- Its size when open is 95 (W) x 56 (L) x 51 (H) inches, and when closed is 58 x 49 x 51 inches
- The weight of the tent is 116.5 lbs.
- It is sold with sturdy anodized aluminum poles, a telescopic ladder, which can extend to 6.5ft. for easy entering and getting out, LED strips for added light inside and others
- You can access the tent from either the driver’s or the passenger’s side
- The tent is sold with a heavy-duty protective cover, which will keep the tent from the harmful UV rays, rain, water and mold
- The mounting brackets are also included in the package
- It has a light and waterproof flysheet made of 420D oxford and attached with steel poles and tension rods
- There is a nifty outside storage bag for your shoes
- The tent is also available in XL size which can sleep up to 4 people, a ladder extension for lifted Wranglers can also be purchased separately as well as an additional 84 x 60-inch tent annex to increase the sleeping and living space
- The tent has a 12V power adapter
- It can be mounted on nearly all types of roof racks
- The rooftop tent is sold with Smittybilt’s Advantage warranty which includes a lifetime coverage for the steel parts and extended limited warranties for other parts
- Sleeps 2 adults comfortably
- Made of PVC coated heavy duty 400D Oxford fabric which is waterproof, durable, mold resistant and breathable
- It comes with a mattress
- The windows can be opened and have screens to keep the insects out
- A retractable ladder with wide and safe treads to get in and out easily
- The dimensions of the tent when unfolded are 4.3’ (W) x 7.9’ (L) x 7.89” (H)
- The low profile and height of the tent makes it wind resistant
- The weight of the tent is only 88.18 lbs.
- Fits on just about any vehicle roof or rack
- It can be mounted so it opened on the rear or on either side of the vehicle
- A 1000D cover keeps the tent protected while traveling or during storage
- It comes with a rod kit, mounting studs, and a flysheet
- You can get quick release latches by Front Runner to make loading and unloading the tent even easier
Do you want to buy a reliable roof tent with an annex so you and your family can sleep comfortably wherever you decide to camp? The Tepui Autana Sky tent is one of the best options we have seen on the market this year.
- The tent comes with a removable 90 x 90 inch annex, which can be used for storage, a changing room, cooking or for your dogs
- The tent is for up to 3 adults
- It is an all-season tent, so you can use it in all kinds of weather conditions
- Made of 600D ripstop poly-cotton
- The waterproof rainfly is made of 420D PU coated Oxford fabric
- All windows have no-see-um mesh for ventilation, privacy and against insects
- You can gaze at the stars through the two sky panels
- It comes with universal mounting brackets for nearly all kinds of roof racks and bars
- Fitted with a convenient high density 5-inch foam mattress
- Available in different color versions
- Its size when packed is 58 x 48 x 12 inches and its weight is 150 lbs.
- The floor area is 37.4 sq. ft. with a size of 95 x 56 inches
- The peak height is 52 inches
- The telescoping ladder can be extended to 8’6”
- The tent has 4 nifty large pockets inside for your gear and electronics
- The durable shell is made of PU plastic, and the tent is made of polyester canvas covered with waterproof Oxford PU coating
- The frame is made of aluminum
- It comes in various colors and with different colored shells
- Can fit most vehicles which have factory or other roof rails or cross bars
- Very compact closed dimensions of 84 x 49 x 13 inches
- The exterior size is 84 x 49 x 37 inches when opened
- The interior is 82 x 47 x 34 inches when opened – perfect for 1 or 2 people
- A weight of 166 lbs.
- Strap snaps for easy closing
- A handy bungee net on the roof to store your clothes, gear, and others
- Easy closure via inside and outside zippers
- Very easy to pop up thanks to the shock assisted arms and locking system
- A pre-installed 82 x 47 x 2-inch soft memory foam mattress
- Sold at an excellent price and with an added telescoping ladder, a storage bag, and a flashlight
- It can fit all vehicles with rear windows which can raise out and up and with a tailgate of at least 58 inches of width
- Fits all SUV’s and full-size vehicles with a tailgate and on flat back or high back camper tops
- It can be installed on a carrier rack or on an airfoil
- Very easy to set up and attach securely via the included elastic shock cords with added hooks
- Provides excellent ventilation thanks to the 2 no-see-um mesh windows behind the doors
- 2-way zippers for easy access and entry from the rear side of the vehicle
- The tent comes with a durable carry bag
- All walls and the roof are coated with polyester
- Blue walls and a tan roof
- When packed its size is only 11 x 11 x 6 inches, and it weighs 5 lbs.
- The materials are fire retardant and waterproof
- The tent costs less than $200
Here is another, even sturdier 4-season tent by Tepui which makes it into our top best roof top tent list for 2019.
- The canopy is made of 360g polyester-cotton and is dual-stitched for added durability
- A 600D ripstop rainfly which is coated and waterproof
- The windows have no-see-um mesh for ventilation, privacy and insect protection
- There are two sky panels for star gazing and added ventilation
- The fly is made of 420D polyester Oxford fabric and has PU coating and taped seams
- The sleeping capacity is for three people
- It has an integrated 30 lb. foam padded mattress on top of an anti-condensation mat which provides isolation from any water and humidity
- The tent is suitable for year round use
- It comes with ¾ inch wrapped aluminum poles
- The internal frame and base is heavy-gauge wrapped and has 3-bolt sturdy hinges
- Two entrances on both sides of the vehicle
- The tent is sold with a heavy duty ruggedized cover to keep it safe on the road or when not in use
- It has large internal storage pockets for storage
- It comes with bedding straps and gear anchor points
- Fits all vehicle roof racks which have the Dynamic weight capacity to carry the weight of the roof tent
- The size when packed is 56 x 48 x 12 inches and its weight is 180 lbs.
- The size of the floor is 96 x 56 inches and it provides an overall space of 37 square feet
- The peak height of the tent is 52 inches
- Very easy and quick setup
FAQs about roof top tents
Are roof top tents more expensive than conventional tents?
The answer is – it depends. In general, roof tents are more expensive than normal tents of the same size and range, because they are much more advanced than tents for the ground. You can expect to pay over $1,000 for a roof top tent which sleeps 3 people or more, but of course, there are various models and brands and a relatively wide price range.
Which brands can I trust when buying a roof top tent?
There a quite a lot of manufacturers offering this type of tents, but if you want to buy a tent which will endure the weather conditions, sleep you comfortably, allow you to use it for years to come, and which is easy to set up and close, then you should look for a tent by one of the leading brands of roof top tent makers, including Tepui, Smittybilt, Yakima, Tuff Stuff or any of the other brands which we have added to our top favorite roof top tent list for 2019.
How many people can sleep in a roof tent?
As you can see from our list, this type of tents can comfortably sleep from 1 to more than 3 people. So, make sure you look for a tent which will suit your needs. Some of the tents on our list come with added annexes which are suitable for your pets, for a private changing area or for added storage, so think about purchasing a tent with an annex if you plan on going camping with your dogs or if you need some additional space for your cooking, changing or other needs.
Keep in mind, that due to their positioning, roof top tents usually can sleep up to 4 people, so if you have a large family, you may want to consider an alternative option for camping.
There are not many roof top tents, however, that fit more than 4 people. There’s just limited space on top of a roof and it’s hard to make a tent that goes on your car’s roof that can fit 5 or 6 people.
How difficult is setting up a roof top tent?
We have picked roof tents which are very easy to set up and close. Most of them do not require any tools to be opened and can be set up and made ready for use or sleep in a matter of minutes by one or two people.
But, due to their hefty weight, many of these tents do require more effort and time for the installation on the vehicle itself, so you will most probably need some help for handling and mounting your roof tent.
What are the advantages of roof tents?
Tents which are set up on top of vehicles have numerous advantages. Here are some of the main ones:
- These tents are very easy to set up, so you won’t be spending hours for assembling and disassembling a complicated tent on the ground with one of these
- A tent like this will keep you safe from animals on the ground, or at least will protect you more than a conventional tent on the ground will
- The roof top tents come with their own bedding, pads or mattresses, which eliminates the need for carrying and inflating sleeping pads and mattresses
- With a tent placed on top of your vehicle, you won’t have problems looking for a free and flat space to install your tent
- You can sleep wherever you want when traveling, so with a tent like this you can spend each night at a different destination without the painstaking tent assembly, disassembly and storage involved
- The roof tent travels on the roof and can even fit your sleeping bags and bedding, which means that there will be more space for you and your gear in the vehicle
Do roof top tents have cons, and what are they?
As you know nobody and nothing is perfect, so roof top tents do have some drawbacks as well. Here are some of the cons of these tents:
- They are more expensive than regular tents of the same size, and the price goes up with the number of people which the roof tent can sleep
- You can sleep only where your vehicle can go, which means that if you want to camp in dense forests or other areas where you cannot reach with your car, this type of tent may not be the right option for you
- Mounting the roof top tent can be quite difficult if you are alone, so you will need help for lifting it and attacking it to the roof. The good news is once it is up – it is a breeze to open it and close it back
Can I use a roof tent for any kind of car?
First and foremost, you need a car which has a factory or aftermarket rack on top. Also, check the weight capacity of the rack before purchasing a roof tent. Make sure you check with the manufacturer whether your car or other vehicle is compatible with the tent you are interested in. For most of the tents, you will need a wagon type vehicle, a small SUV, a Jeep or van, depending on the size and model of the tent.
A roof top tent can change everything and all perceptions you have about camping. With a tent like this, you can sleep anywhere and at any time. You won’t spend half of your outdoor and travel time putting up a complicated tent. Instead, with a tent like one of our top favorite roof top tents, you can park the car, set up the tent in a matter of minutes and crawl in for a nap or to spend the night.
Hopefully, we have managed to help you decide which one of these amazing tents will be the best option for you, and pretty soon you will be the proud owner of one of these genius camping accessories.
So, good luck with your purchase, and happy camping!
Last update on 2019-06-19 at 15:03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API