Do you lack central or other installed air conditioning at home, but want to stay cool and comfortable throughout the upcoming summer? Buying a good quality portable air conditioner is the affordable and convenient way to go!
There are multiple benefits of owning a portable AC, including the fact that you can easily move it from one area to another, take it camping or traveling with you and save money from installing a central AC in your home or office.
You will save a lot of money from having to pay for installing air conditioners for every room or for central AC, as well as from the electricity bills if you choose to cool just one living space at a time instead of the entire house or apartment!
A well-functioning portable air conditioner will make sure that you and your family remain comfortable, cool and safe even in the scorching heat of the summer.
Of course, you need to be certain that you get one which will suit your needs, and powerful enough to chill down your specific living space.
There is a huge variety of different portable AC units on the market. We have taken the time to test and review some of the finest ones in the different power ranges starting from 8,000 BTU up to the most powerful 14,000 BTU AC units, as well as the most budget-friendly evaporative air coolers for you.
Hopefully, our detailed reviews and lists of strengths and weaknesses of each different air conditioning portable unit will help you make the best and wisest choice so that you are prepared for the summer heat which awaits us pretty soon!
Here are our top choices for the best portable air conditioners for 2019.
Best 14,000 BTU portable air conditioners for 2019
The powerful 14,000 BTU air conditioners have the capacity of cooling areas between 500 and 600 square feet. The capacity drops to 400-450 in kitchens due to the use of ovens and other heat-emitting electrical devices in kitchens.
It comes with a venting kit so you can install it in a window for less hassle with the exhaust hoses. If you prefer, you can attach it to a wall or ceiling too.
The ARC-14s portable air conditioner has two hoses which allow for faster cooling of the room and for the use of less power. This means lower electricity bills for your household and energy saving which is crucial for our environment.
Speaking about the environment, the other eco-friendly aspect of the portable AC unit from Whynter is that it works with an R-410A refrigerant which doesn’t cause harm to the ozone layer. Also, the manufacturer has used lead-free materials and components, all of which comply with the standards for safety and the EU’s Restriction of Hazardous Substances.
While this air conditioner doesn’t have an auto-evaporation function, it does feature an auto-draining system which helps prevent the tank from getting overfilled and leaking. It is designed to recycle the water and use it for air conditioning.
It is quite hefty with a weight of 80lbs. so it is not as portable as some of the smaller air conditioners, but it does have convenient wheels which will help you move it around whenever you need to.
- Various installation options – freestanding, or fixed to the window, ceiling or wall
- Eco-friendly materials and functionality
- 3-in-1 multipurpose device – it can be used as an AC, a fan or as a dehumidifier
- No leaking or overfilling of the tank – it uses the collected water for cooling
- Digital Thermostatic control and readout (61 to 89 degrees Fahrenheit)
- A dehumidifying capacity of 101 pints daily
- 3 fan speeds
- 24 hour programmable timer
- Doesn’t harm the ozone layer
- Compact dimensions 16 x 19 x 35.5 inches
- Convenient remote control
- Carbon air filter and washable pre-filter
- Maximum power consumption is 1250Watts/10.8A
- window kit installment length is 46 inches, and min. length is 20”
- Power supply is 115V/ 60Hz
- Heavier than the other 14,000 BTU portable air conditioners
- Not as efficient for air-conditioning a living space which is larger than 500 square feet
- Doesn’t have a heating function
The Whynter ARC-14S is a multifunctional device which will cool your room, or can work as a powerful fan or dehumidifier. For those of you who like leading a greener lifestyle – this unit is as eco-friendly as it can get. For your convenience, it has various options for installing or can be used as a freestanding unit. This is a potent and versatile portable air conditioner which will serve you well for long.
The Honeywell Contempo 3-in-1 is a very powerful and reliable portable air conditioner which can comfortably chill down a room of up to 700 square feet. It has a stylish design so it can fit well in any home or office décor.
It comes with a full set window kit and can very easily be installed on both vertical and horizontal windows.
The automatic vertical wind motion feature of this 14,000 BTU AC will distribute the powerful flow of cool air evenly and consistently throughout the area pretty quickly.
The unit has overload protection and other added safety functions to ensure that your house won’t flood or that the unit will not be damaged or cause damage to your home even if you are not at home.
The double filter system is designed to keep any dust, pet dander and hair away from the air conditioner and thus prevent any blockage or malfunctioning. The filters are very easy to wash out and maintain so no need to worry about that.
This powerful portable AC unit has three fan speeds, sleep mode, and a 24-hour energy saving timer. It also has a handy remote for easy control and monitoring.
It is sleek, compact and portable with wheels to roll it into the position of your choice. Plus, it is very quiet, so you can enjoy a comfortable tempered room without any disruptive noise.
- Can work as an AC, a fan, and a dehumidifier
- Ultra-quiet functioning (49-52 decibels at the highest fan setting)
- Powerful – can cool a 700 square feet space
- Sleek and portable it is very easy to set up, move or store 18.9 x 15.7 x 31.3 inches, 64 lbs.
- Smart digital thermostat system
- Clear and simple digital controls and LCD display
- A remote control for added convenience
- Energy saving mode – the sleep mode can be preset to up to 10 hours and will increase the temperature at fixed intervals in order to save energy while you are sleeping, and then reduces the temperature when it is time to wake up
- Easy maintenance, dual drainage and no buckets required for proper operation
- The integrated dehumidifier can remove up to 111 per 24 hours without need for draining the unit manually thanks to the evaporation feature
- Auto shut off function turns the unit off after 24 hours of operation
- Not as quiet as some of the other portable AC’s
- Can’t control the direction of the air flow
This relatively compact and yet powerful air conditioner is very easy to install, operate and store. It has an auto shut off function if you are forgetful. You can also use it as a fan and a dehumidifier. No worries about taking out those water tanks – this powerful Honeywell AC unit evaporates it. You can use this brilliant mobile air conditioner in spaces which are up to 700 square feet, which is quite amazing. We can definitely recommend this nifty device for anybody looking for a reliable, stylish and easy to use portable air conditioner.
If you suffer from hay fever or dust allergies, you know just how bad things can get when the air in your home gets filled with all those circulating airborne dust, pollen, and other allergens. With the DeLonghi PACAN140ES you can rest assured that your interior will be brought to a comfortable temperature, dehumidified, and most importantly – the air will be clean of all those nasty allergens.
This is a powerful and discreet portable air conditioner, which can also be used as a fan or as a highly efficient dehumidifier.
It is designed in a way to allow for easy and hassle-free operation, with no risk of leaks.
- It can cool areas of up to 600 square feet
- Features a unique BioSilver filter which keeps the filters free from mildew, mold and also traps all dust and pollen and removes nasty odors
- Very quick and simple set up
- Convenient wheels and handles to move the unit around
- Compact size 15.5 x 17.5 x 29.5 inches and 72 lbs.
- A safe no-drip technology which recycles the condensation
- Easy to read an use display, mode selection, 3 fan speeds, a thermostat, a 12-hour timer and a remote control
- The timer allows you to set various cooling periods for 24 hours
- Works as an air conditioner, a dehumidifier, and a fan
- The Whisper Cool technology helps make this one of the quietest 14,000BTU portable AC’s – perfect for uninterrupted comfortable sleeping
- The dehumidifier can remove 84 pints per 24 hours
- Single hose unit
- Not as powerful air-conditioning or dehumidifying performance as the other 14,000 BTU units
- The single hose configuration makes it less efficient
Even though the DeLonghi PACAN140ES may not be the most powerful portable air conditioners in the 14000BTU range, it is definitely a must for people with allergies and respiratory problems, especially those sensitive to dust, mildew, mold pollens and smells.
It functions as a dehumidifier, a fan, and an AC and is great for areas up to 550-600 square feet. You don’t need to worry about any of the condensed water leaking out of the unit, and you can easily set the cooling times for the next 24 hours via the user-friendly controls or remote control.
It can ensure comfortable cool temperatures in spaces up to 500 square feet at 14,000 BTU per hour and heat it up at 10,000 BTU per hour.
This device is truly multifunctional. Apart from air-conditioning or heating, you can also use it as a fan or as an air dehumidifier.
It is compact and has a very stylish silver black design, so you can proudly display it in any place in the house.
- Powerful cooling and heating of up to 500 square feet
- Temperature range of 61-100° F
- 4-way adjustable air direction
- Also works as a dehumidifier and as a fan
- Very modern and sleek design
- Easy portability thanks to the caster wheels
- Large display showing the temperature and the time
- Features 3 cooling speeds, 3 heating speeds and 3 fan speeds
- Has a 24 hour timer and a digital thermostat
- A handy remote control for distant operation
- Compact dimensions 15.2 x 17.8 x 29.4 inches, 75 lbs.
- 2 exhaust hoses , and no need to empty the water tanks from the condensed water
- Easy to maintain, removable and washable filter, bucketless operation
- Dehumidifier removes 90 pints of water from the air per 24 hours
- The two hoses have different diameters and nozzles which can make its connection to the window more complicated than with other portable ACs
This is a fine looking multifunctional moveable air conditioner, which will serve you both in the scorching hot days as well as in the winter. It provides powerful cooling and heating of premises of up to 500 square feet.
It also operates as a dehumidifier or as a fan. The air flow can be adjusted in 4 directions for added comfort.
The Haier HPND14XHT will help you reduce your electricity and heating bills, by enabling you to chill or warm up a single room or area in your home instead of all of it.
It is very easy to set up, adjust and maintain. You won’t have to keep emptying the water tank to prevent leaks with this compact versatile air conditioner.
Best 12,000 BTU portable air conditioners for 2019
Shopping for the perfect portable air conditioner which requires little or no maintenance, uses very little power and can keep your 400 square area at comfortable temperature levels at all times? The EdgeStar Extreme Cool AP12000S-KF could be the preeminent option for you.
Not only will it keep rooms up to 425 square feet cool, but it is very efficient for dehumidifying and purifying the air in your home as well. It is highly energy efficient and will run at a much lower cost than other portable AC devices.
With the patented auto-drain system you won’t need to keep emptying tanks and buckets with water, and won’t risk leaks from the unit.
You can use this portable AC as a freestanding unit, or you can easily mount it on your window. The choice is yours!
- Can chill areas up to 425 square feet
- Removes up to 90 pints per 24 hours in dehumidifier mode
- Comes with a replaceable carbon filter and a washable pre-filter which trap any dust, pet dander, pollens, smoke, mold spores, other allergens and harmful airborne particles for cleaner and odorless air at home
- The thermostat can be adjusted from 61 to 89 degrees Fahrenheit
- 3 fan speed options
- Auto-drain system will exhaust all or most of the condensed water
- A remote control
- Easy mobility of the unit and nice size of 15 x 17.2 x 31 inches, 69 lbs.
- A larger than the average window kit and vent hose included – very easy to mount
- Energy efficient functioning which will save you loads of money from electricity bills – the 10.0 Energy Efficient Ratio will enable you to run this portable AC for about $1 a day
- 24-hour programmable timer with automatic turn on and off functionality
- Made in compliance with all environmental and safety standards
- The internal tank can fill up quite quickly when used in very humid conditions
- Not as attractive looking as some of the other units
The EdgeStar Extreme Cool AC unit is definitely one of the most powerful and multifunctional portable air conditioners in the 12,000BTU range. You can use it for keeping areas of up to 425 square feet cool and comfy. It will also remove 72 pints per day when used in dehumidifying mode. The special filter system helps clean out the air in the room from all harmful airborne particles, allergens, smells and smoke, so you can enjoy a breath of fresh air in the comfort of your home.
It is very easy to operate with a simple and intuitive control and display. This portable AC has been made in accordance with all essential eco and human safety standards.
Plus, it is highly energy efficient, which means that you will be saving a lot of money once you start using one of these brilliant portable air conditioners.
The 12,000 BTU portable AC’s are just a slight step down from the most powerful 14,000 BTU units. They are still very powerful and efficient for cooling sizeable areas of up to 450-550 square feet.
Here are our top picks for the best 12,000 BTU portable ACs on the market.
Looking for a really powerful freestanding air conditioner which can cool your 450 square foot living room quickly and to perfection? This compact portable air conditioner from Honeywell may be 12,000 BTU but it surely can compete with some of its “bigger brothers” in the 14,000 BTU range.
It is easy to move thanks to the convenient wheels, and can also be used as a quite efficient dehumidifier too.
The washable filter system helps purify the air in your home by trapping any pet dander, dust, pollens and other allergens.
You don’t need to worry about throwing out buckets full of water periodically with this wonderful portable AC.
- Can cool a living space of up to 450 square feet fast
- Will remove up to 79.2 pints of water per 24 hours when used as a dehumidifier
- Easy to see LED display and feather touch controls for setting up the mode, fan speed, timer and other settings
- 3 different fan speed options
- A timer with a range of 1 to 24 hours
- Quiet operation – 55dbA perfect for use in bedrooms
- Easy to wash filtration system keeps any dust, pollen, pet dander and other air residues trapped and away from the air you breathe
- Comes with a window installation kit – and can be installed on both vertical and horizontal windows
- Don’t need to empty any tanks, simply empty the collected water inside the unit from time to time
- Compact size and wheels for rolling the unit from one place to another, dimensions are 15.7 x 16.5 x 29.3 inches, and the weight is 68.3 lbs.
- Although the display is large and easy to see, the remote control doesn’t have a display so it makes it difficult to use from a distance
This is quite a powerful air conditioner, dehumidifier and fan for its compact size and relatively low weight. It will take up less space in your room and yet ensure that the temperature is comfortable even in the warmest summer days. This 12,000 BTU portable air conditioner from Honeywell is perfect for those of you with dust, pet dander or pollen allergies as it will clear up the air in your premises saving you from all that uncomfortable itching, sneezing and coughing.
The Honeywell MN12CES has a very intuitive control and display, so you can easily set it to the mode, temperature and time you want.
You can roll it around for extra portability, or you can mount it on any kind of window in the room.
Overall, this is an outstanding choice when it comes to 12,000 BTU portable air conditioners!
Do you want a compact and yet efficient and multifunctional air conditioner to help you save energy and money during the summer? The LG LP1217GSR is a perfect solution for cooling rooms up to 300 square feet. You can easily move it around the house and use it in the area you are currently in. This will save you a lot of money for installing air conditioners everywhere and cooling the entire house or apartment.
Its sleek and modern design will easily blend in every home. The built-in efficient evaporation system will save you the time and energy of having to deal with emptying tanks or cleaning up accidental spills.
It is definitely one of the best 12,000 BTU portable air conditioners which you can currently purchase at a competitive price.
- Can work as an air conditioner, a dehumidifier, and a fan
- Cools up to 300 square feet with multiple power settings from 7,000 BTU to 12,000 BTU
- Dehumidifies up to 62.4 pints per 24 hours
- Features an inclined air discharge and has automatic swing functioning which helps chill the premises quickly and eliminates any hot spots in the area
- The Modern black design will suit any décor
- Automatic evaporation system allows for 24-hour use
- The timer can be programmed to switch on and off 24 hours
- A large LED display panel and an LCD remote control for added convenience
- Compact and easy to move around – 12.8 x 16.9 x 27.4 inches, 67.2 lbs.
- Well insulated window mount is included
- You will need to empty the water tank occasionally, but thankfully it is easy to reach and remove without a danger of spilling it
- Not as powerful as some of the portable AC’s this one is efficient for areas of 300 square feet or less
- The exhaust tube can heat up quite a bit after prolonged use when the unit is used as a freestanding unit
This 12,000 BTU portable air conditioner from LG looks absolutely great, and has great functionality, although its cooling power is limited to living spaces which are 300 square feet or smaller. It is quite compact and easy to move around. You have the option of mounting it on a window as well.
The dehumidifier works well and will help keep the humidity levels in your home at healthy levels throughout the year.
It has a very handy and easy to use remote, so you can control all settings easily without having to go to the unit to look at its display.
It is a top quality product and is recommended for people who want to reduce the temperature in smaller areas easily and efficiently.
If you are into smart technologies and the internet of things, then you will love this Frigidaire portable air conditioner. It is Wi-Fi ready and can be monitored and controlled via a handy mobile app, so you can control your small AC from wherever you are.
You can use it to easily and quickly cool a space of up to 550 square feet and to remove 3 pints of water per hour as a dehumidifier. It also works as an air ionizer which is pretty amazing, especially if you have dust, pet dander or pollen allergies or asthma.
This smart portable air conditioner offers a variety of convenient and flexible functions and options and is perfect for anybody who is looking for a modern portable AC which can be controlled via smartphone.
- Smart portable air conditioner – Wi-Fi ready, comes with useful smartphone app for easy operation and control
- Can cool closed areas of up to 550 square feet
- Has 3 cooling and 3 fan speeds
- A special 360 degree spiral-like air circulation feature helps reduce the heat in the room fast and evenly without any hot spots
- Has an air ionizer for improvement of the air quality which is quite unique for portable air conditioners
- A convenient 24 hour on and off timer enables you to create your own customized 24 hour cooling schedule
- Works as a dehumidifier with a capacity of 72 pints of water per 24 hours
- Has several pre-set cooling modes, an energy saving mode, a sleeping mode and an auto cool function
- Innovative cylindrical design great for those of you who like contemporary technologies
- Modern LED lighting and a mesh grill, dimmable LED display for extra comfort
- Smart app allows you to turn the unit on and off remotely via your smartphone or smart device – available for iOS and Android
- Although it is compact it is still quite hefty (85lbs) and has no wheels which makes it more difficult to move than other portable AC units
This state-of-the-art is the perfect portable air conditioner for all of you tech-savvy people out there. It has a Wi-Fi connection and a smart app which allows you to control the settings from all around the house.
It features an air purifying air ionizer which is a great choice for those of you with allergies, asthma and other respiratory problems. Plus, the Frigidaire AC works as a dehumidifier as well.
The cooler is powerful and can keep a room up to 550 feet fresh and comfortable. The 360-degree air circulation feature will help you achieve the desired temperature in no time at all. Plus, you get a choice between several pre-set cooling programs and other useful functions such as sleep mode, energy saving, and auto cool modes.
It may not be as portable as some of the other units on our list, but its Wi-Fi connection and its amazing modernistic design, easy control and functionality make it one of the top portable air conditioners in the 12,000 BTU category!
The best 10,000 BTU portable air conditioners
The portable AC units in the 10,000 BTU range are capable of cooling areas of 200-300 square feet. They are not as powerful and as noisy as the larger units, and are also relatively smaller than those boosting a 12,000 BTU.
Here is a list of our top picks for the 10,000 BTU range for 2019.
Want an affordable and compact portable air conditioner to help you stay cool in the warm summer days and nights? The Honeywell MN10CES is a multifunctional device which you can move around the house or in your RV to save electrical power and to maintain a comfortable temperature at all times.
This portable AC is also a great air purifying device and humidifier which is essential if you have small babies or people with allergies or respiratory problems in the house.
You can set the desired mode and temperature very easily via the intuitive control panel or remote control and then enjoy the immediate cooling and air purifying effect.
- Suitable for cooling areas of up to 350 square feet
- Removes 70 pints per day when used as a dehumidifier
- The removable dust filter which you can wash easily will help remove all pet dander, dust, pollen, hair and other harmful airborne particles from the air
- Fully functional remote control
- Feather touch, lighted control panel and a useful LCD display
- Wheels for easier mobility
- Option for window mounting on horizontal or vertical windows and an included window kit
- Low noise level when in operation (51-54 decibels)
- Compact size: 15.2 x 18.1 x 29.4 inches, 61.7 lbs.
- Simple but elegant design
- Easy maintenance
- Dual drainage system gives you added flexibility for install and use of the unit as a cooler or as a dehumidifier
- Quiet, as compared to other mobile AC units when maintaining a room temperature
- The exhaust hose is quite stiff, so you are limited in how you get to position the unit
This portable AC device from Honeywell is quite powerful and works well as a dehumidifier given the fact that it is in the lower 10,000 BTU range. It will help keep the air cool and at the proper humidity level in rooms and areas of up to 350 square feet.
Plus, you get an added bonus thanks to the efficient air filtering system of this portable AC – the air in your home will be free of allergens and other harmful particles and substances.
This unit is very easy to install, move or store. It requires very little maintenance and has intuitive controls and useful features which even those of you who are not too comfortable handling technology and electronics can use without any problems or frustration. It is a great investment to make and will soon return your investment form all the money you save from paying electrical bills for using separate air conditioners or for cooling your entire home instead of just the room you are currently in.
This 10,000 BTU AC can keep a 150-250 square ft. sized area nice and chilled throughout the summer.
It is specially designed for hassle-free set up and use, so it suitable for just about anybody. The large and easy to see LED digital display and straightforward electronic controls allow for easy programming, so you won’t be spending hours and hours trying to figure out exactly what you need to push in order to get this unit going.
No need to get up from your couch to it too because it comes with a user-friendly remote control.
The Black + Decker portable air conditioner has a special sleep mode for comfortable and energy saving nights, as well as a 12-hour timer. You can also use it as a dehumidifier without worrying about leaks, due to its evaporation and auto shut off features.
- Very compact and space saving – at 16.5 x 11.5 x 26 inches, weight is 52.9 lbs.
- Works as an AC, a dehumidifier as well as a fan for better air circulation
- Perfect for cooling and dehumidifying rooms up to 250 square feet
- Strong airflow and adjustable louvers to direct the air
- Easy to understand and use controls, and a remote control with a display
- A programmable 24 hour timer
- A pre-set sleep mode for added comfort and power saving
- A 4 foot 11-inch exhaust hose is included for convenient set up in a place of your choice
- Quiet operation
- Bucketless set up – it has an evaporation system for the water collected. In cases of serious humidity the internal tray may fill up with water, but the unit warns you when it is full, so there is no leakage
- Included window mounting kit
- Has caster wheels allowing you to push it from one place to another, as well as added side handles
- 12 month warranty
- The filter is easy to remove and clean
- Can be a little noisy when it turns on and off
The Black+Decker 10,000 BTU portable air conditioner is a perfect multifunctional solution for areas of 250 square feet or smaller.
It is very easy to set up and handle.
The filters are easy to clean, and the auto evaporation function does not require that you keep emptying tanks and buckets.
The long exhaust hose allows you to set it anywhere in a room. You can also mount it on a window if you prefer.
The dehumidifier works pretty well, and the AC unit will quickly cool your room to the temperature of your desire.
This is an excellent, affordable portable AC unit with a 12-month warranty for parts and labor, definitely worth buying.
If you want to save yourself the hassle of having to install a window or split air conditioner, and want to opt for a more adaptable and affordable choice – the LG LP1015WNR is one of the finest choices for 10,000 BTU portable air conditioners.
It can cool, dry or circulate the air in rooms and areas up to 250 square feet. The dehumidifier can remove 2.6 pints of moisture every hour.
You can program this multifunctional unit for the next 24 hours, so you don’t even need to be home in order to ensure that it get switched on or off at a certain hour of the day or night.
The dehumidifier has an auto-evaporation feature, so unless it is very humid, you don’t need to throw out the collected water every few hours.
The design is modern and sleek, and the dimensions are quite compact which makes it perfect for camping and other trips as well.
- Can cool and dry the air in a chamber-sized up to 250 sq.
- Adjustable two way fan and two way air flow, for quick and even cooling of a room
- Easy to set and use thanks to the intuitive control panel
- The dehumidifier removes up to 2.6 pints of water from the air per hour, and has an evaporation function to get rid of most of the accumulated moisture
- An indicator will inform you when the internal tray is nearly full of water
- A 24 hour allows you to program the settings for the entire day
- It can also be used as a fan
- Has a self-diagnostics feature and an error code display feature for easy troubleshooting
- A very detailed instruction manual
- 1 year parts and labor warranty
- Has a remote control for adjusting the settings from a distance
- Small size – 11.8 x 17 x 31.3 inches, 55 pounds
- Features comfortable grooves on the side for easy handling and carrying as well as caster wheels for easy mobility
- A window installing kit is included in the package
- 55 dB noise output
- Some people may find the buttons on the remote control a bit small and difficult to read
If you choose to buy the LG LP1015WNR portable air conditioner, dehumidifier and fan, you can be sure that you are making quite a wise investment. This is a truly resourceful compact portable air conditioner which has a very quick cooling function and can keep an area or place up to 250 square feet cool and comfy 24/7.
The dehumidifier is quite effective as well, but even though it has an auto-evaporation function you may need to empty the internal water tray from time to time when the air is very humid. But don’t worry, the device will inform you in a timely manner when the water needs to be discharged.
You can program it for up to 24 hours, so you can choose which hours in the day you want it to work and when it should shut itself off.
You can move it from one room to another to save energy and money for buying large and mounted air conditioners. It is quite compact and very mobile, so no need to worry about moving it around or for storing it when it is not in use.
This is definitely one of the top quality 10,000 BTU air conditioner on the market right now!
You can easily move it around thanks to its compact size and caster wheels.
The unit can work as an air conditioner, but you can also use it as a dehumidifier and fan.
The sleep mode is especially useful and will allow you to sleep comfortably and save power.
You will be happy to learn that the Costway portable air conditioner comes with very easy LED display control options as well as a remote control for adjustments of the setting from a distance.
- Has an AC, dehumidifying, fan and sleep mode
- Portable dimensions of 12 x 13.3 x 28.1 inches
- 10,000 BTU can cool or dehumidify rooms of up to 200 square feet
- 2-speed levels for the fans
- 2-way up and down air deflection for even a fast cooling
- A useful LED display panel and control plus a remote control
- Easy to move thanks to the caster wheels allowing smooth gliding on hard floors
- A useful 24-hour timer to preset the operation of the unit for the entire day
- Auto-condensate function reduces the water stored in the tray
- A smart temperature sensor
- Indicator for water full internal tray
- A quick and easy window install kit is included
- Sturdy and simple design
- The air filter is easy to remove and clean
- The design is not as exciting as some of the other units
- You may need to empty the water tray when using for air dehumidifying despite the auto-evaporation feature
This simple and yet very handy and sturdy portable AC is a perfect solution for cooling and dehumidifying small areas of up to 200 square feet.
The fan speed is adjustable, and the flow can be directed to different directions so that the cooler works faster.
It has an easy to use control panel and a remote control for added convenience.
You can choose from the air conditioning, dehumidifying, air circulation and sleep options, and you can also program the unit for the next 24 hours thanks to the handy timer feature.
In conclusion, we must say that if you are not looking for the latest modernistic design and all the frills, you could benefit from buying this reasonably priced and quite efficient portable AC unit.
8,000 BTU Models
The 8,000 BTU portable air units are the least powerful in our list of the best portable AC’s, but they are still powerful enough and are multi-functional like the larger models. These cooling devices are suitable for rooms from 100 to 200 square feet. They are the smallest and lightest portable ACs in this list, so if you have limited space and are looking for an air conditioner for a relatively small living space or another area, you should pick one of these models. Also, they tend to be quieter than the more powerful cooling devices, so if noise is a problem, keep this in mind as well.
You can easily move it around from one place to another. It works as an air conditioner and as a dehumidifier and fan, which makes it a great buy as you will pay a reasonable price for one unit rather than buying three separate ones.
The auto swing louvers will help reduce the temperature of your room to comfortable levels very quickly, so you don’t need to anxiously wait for the temperature to drop to a comfortable level.
Configuring your desired temperature and settings can be done via a user-friendly control panel or with the help of the remote control.
The sleek design of this LG unit will not clash with your décor, so you needn’t worry about ruining your perfect interior design with this helpful cooling and air drying unit.
- Compact and sleek so it can fit in any room without taking up too much space (23.7 x 18.7 x 16 inches)
- Cools areas up to 150 square meters
- Dehumidifies the air at a 1.8 Pint/hour rate
- Features a top inclined air discharge as well as auto swing louvers for speeding up the temperature reduction and eliminating any hot spots
- Stylish design with a white glossy finish and grey back – looks great in any interior
- You get an option to choose between Fahrenheit and Celsius settings
- Auto-evaporation system uses the collected water for cooling
- Convenient wheels for easier mobility
- It is heavier than most other 8,000 BTU units
- Can be quite loud while working in higher speed mode
This LG 8,000 BTU air conditioner is a useful and easy to use cooling and a dehumidifying unit. It is easy to install and even easier to program and use.
The controls are straightforward, and the remote control is quite useful if you don’t want to get up each time you want to adjust the temperature settings.
You will be happy with how quick this unit is able to lower the temperature in your room thanks to the swinging airflow louvers. The device also helps remove any moisture from the air and usefully circulates the water collected into cooling power.
You will be happy with this purchase and can enjoy the coolness and fresh air in your room at all times as soon as you start using it.
It is a 3-in-1 portable unit which you can easily set to any mode you prefer.
The air conditioner has a power of 8,000 BTU and is sufficient for cooling areas of up to 250 square feet. It uses safe CFC free r-410 refrigerant and has lead free components.
You can mount it on the window, or place it wherever you want in the house for an instant cooling effect.
The adjustments of the temperature levels, the speed of the fan and the different modes is very easy thanks to the intuitive control panel and the added fully functional remote control.
- Can comfortably cool rooms up to 250 sq.
- Very compact size so it can fit anywhere (17 x 28 x 13.6 inches)
- Has 3 modes: air conditioning, air dehumidifier and fan
- The self-evaporative system will exhaust most of the condensed water, but you get a manual draining option as well if you prefer
- Comes with an easy to use remote control which allows you to adjust all features from a distance
- Has a digital thermostat
- 2-directional louvers for even air-conditioning
- Uses CFC free refrigerant and is made of lead-free components for your and the environment’s safety
- Has a window mounting kit with a minimum window length of 26.5 inches and a maximum length of 48 inches
- Caster wheels make it even more portable
- Has an auto-off function, in case you are forgetful
- It is quite heavy for an 8,000 BTU unit
At an affordable price, this multifunctional portative AC unit is a perfect 3-in-1 device for any room or area up to 250 square meters.
You get the whole package in a compact unit with a small footprint, which you can set up anywhere in your house or office.
You will be able to reduce the temperature of the designated area in no time at all, and also ensure that the humidity is at a healthy level.
It is easy to set up and operate. You can use the touch control panel buttons, as well as the useful remote control to set the temperature level and the mode you want to use the Whynter 8,000 BTU.
It has a stylish design which will fit well in your interior and requires very little monitoring and maintenance, so you can rest assured that your room will be cool and dehumidified whenever you need it.
Also, it is quite portable, so you can use it in any room of the house you are planning to spend time in.
This portable AC device is definitely a great deal!
Not sure you want to break the bank for a window or split air conditioner which you are going to use for 3 to 4 months per year? This portable 8,000 BTU from Honeywell is a great alternative to keep you cool and happy during the summer months without needing to spend a fortune.
It can work in air-conditioning mode, as a fan, as well as a quite efficient dehumidifier. In fact, it can remove nearly 61 pints of water from the air per day.
Portable and mobile, you can move it to another room, or take it camping with you. Also, when not in use you can simply store it away.
It features intuitive controls and also comes with a handy remote control for easy access to all options offered by this multipurpose device.
- 8,000 BTU – can cool rooms of up to 300 square feet
- Compact size – 14.2 x 19.5 x 24.4 inches
- Possibly the lightest in its class – only 52 lbs. for added portability
- The dehumidifier removes up to 60.8 pints per 24 hours
- It is controlled via a fully functional remote control which comes with the unit
- You can program the timer for the next 24 hours, and decide when the Honeywell AC unit switches on and off during the day and night
- Has the famous Honeywell self-evaporative system which uses the accumulated water for cooling and doesn’t require constant emptying of buckets or water tanks
- It is powerful and yet quieter than other similar items
- A three-speed option for the fans
- It has smooth gliding caster wheels so you can roll it from one place to another without a hassle
- It comes with a window venting kit (20 to 47 inches) and flexible hose
- Eco-friendly refrigerant
- The filter helps capture any dust, pet dander and hair from the air, and is easy to remove and wash
- A very elegant design which will complement your indoor space
- Very detailed user and window mounting instructions
- The exhaust hose can become rather hot during operation
- No control panel on the unit itself which can be a problem if you lose or break the remote control
The Honeywell MF08CESWW is one of the lightest portable air conditioners on our list. It is compact and easy to move.
You can use it as an AC, a dehumidifier as well as a fan and air purifier, so it is a great deal for the affordable price it comes at.
You can use it in all rooms up to 300 square feet whenever you want to, and when not in use -simply store it away.
The remote control is the only way to toggle the settings, but it is intuitive and fully functional.
Overall, this good-looking and nifty Honeywell portable AC is almost perfect, so do not hesitate in can you are having deliberations about buying one of these!
Evaporative Air Coolers
Unlike the traditional portable air conditioners we have already looked at up close, evaporative air coolers do not need an exhaust hose in order to operate properly. These special cooling devices are also known as swamp coolers are much friendlier to the environment as they do not use any Chlorofluorocarbons (CFC) or other harmful refrigerants to operate.
Also, they are much more energy efficient than the regular portable ACs because they use much less power for pumping the water needed for cooling than the traditional ones which rely on compressed air for functioning.
Evaporative air coolers though are not quite as powerful as the portable air conditioners when it comes to cooling rooms in extremely hot weather.
Here are a couple of our favorite evaporative air coolers to consider if you don’t want the hassle of setting up exhaust hoses and if you want to lead a greener lifestyle.
It works best in climates where the humidity level is below 60%.
You will save loads of money form electricity bills, as this swamp cooler form Honeywell consumes very little power.
The multifunctional and eco-friendly unit can serve as a humidifier in the winter months as well, which makes it a great deal if you live in an area with low humidity.
Although it is not an air conditioner in the traditional sense, this device will fill a mid-sized room with a pleasant cool breeze even in the warmest of days.
- Provides a steady flow of moist cool breeze through natural water evaporation and a powerful fan – perfect for drier regions where the humidity levels are low
- Very low power consumption will save you loads of money for electricity
- 235W and a 500 CFM airflow is sufficient for cooling and humidifying small to medium rooms and areas of up to 300 square feet
- 3 speeds
- It is an eco-friendly product and doesn’t use CFCs or refrigerants
- 3-in-1 device which can be used for cooling, air circulation and for humidifying the air
- Features an activated carbon air filter to purify and improve the quality of the air
- Has a low water alarm
- Has an easy to set adjustable humidification dial, an energy saving timer and an ice compartment for optional faster cooling
- Can be used for humidifying the air in the dry winter months, which is perfect for your skin and health
- Comes at an affordable price
- Compact size with sturdy wheels for great portability
- Oscillating louvers for nice and even cooling
- Has a convenient sleep mode
- Very easy to install, no hoses to attach, just fill it with water, plug it in and switch it on
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- You need to refill it with water periodically, but thankfully it has a low water indicator
- The filter needs to be washed regularly to avoid the damp smell
This Honeywell portative evaporative air cooler is perfect if you live in drier areas and if you don’t want to spend too much money on cooling and humidifying your home.
It is environmentally friendly as it uses no CFCs or other refrigerants and uses very little electricity (only 235 Watts).
You will need to keep an eye on the water level indicator and wash the filter regularly, but the cooling and air drying effect of this powerful little machine makes it absolutely worth the effort!
You can set it at sleep mode or adjust the fan speed as well as the humidifying levels easily.
There is no hassle with attaching and mounting the unit or exhaust hoses. All you need to do is take it out of the box, fill up the water tank or the added ice tank and plug it in, and voila!
So, if you want an affordable, versatile and eco-friendly cooling and humidifying device, this evaporative air cooler from Honeywell is the way to go!
You don’t feel OK with using an air conditioner due to the harmful refrigerants and CFCs? If you need an air cooler and you live in an area where it is hot and dry, the Luma Comfort EC220W is a perfect solution for you.
You will receive a powerful air cooler, a tower fan, and an excellent humidifier all in one if you choose to purchase this evaporative air cooler.
The unit is portable, eco-friendly, and uses very little electrical power to operate.
- 3-in-1 evaporative air cooler, includes an air cooler, a tower fan, and a humidifier
- Features 4 fan speeds with 600 CFMs which will cool rooms up to 650 square feet, which makes it more powerful than the 14,000 BTU portable air conditioners on this list
- Excellent accessory for hot and dry climates
- No harmful refrigerants are used for the cooling
- Has a special powerful blower design with oscillation which helps cool the room very quickly
- A very quiet tower fan won’t disturb you even when you are sleeping – just use the Whisper Quiet mode
- Has an extra-large, removable water tank (5 gallons) as well a cooling pad used for cooling the room via evaporation
- Extremely power efficient – 220Watts which won’t bulge up your electricity bills
- Sleek and compact and with added durable wheels – the unit can be moved from one place to another even outdoors
- The humidifier keeps the air healthy and clean
- The large water tank can be filled with ice packs for a boost of the cooling process
- It doesn’t have a remote control or a digital display
If you live in a dry and hot climate, the Luma Comfort is the perfect solution to keeping your home cool and the levels of humidity comfortable. All this is provided without any harm to the environment and without huge energy bills.
You can move this clever device around. It has a quiet mode which means that you can sleep comfortably when it is on.
You also can cool the air in rooms and areas up to 650 square feet, which is more than any of the other units in my list.
The large water tank is easy to remove and refill and allows for continuous use for hours before needing a top-up.
You will absolutely love the versatility, the power and the functionality of this amazing evaporative air cooler, so go ahead and purchase it now and ensure that your summer days and nights at home are cool and comfortable, and at a great price too!
What exactly is BTU
BTU is an abbreviation for British Thermal Unit and is used as the standard unit for measurement of the majority of cooling and heating systems. It stands for the amount of energy which a unit needs to change temperature one degree up or down (in Fahrenheit) of 16 ounces of water.
The larger the BTU number – the larger the area which the unit can cool. Higher BTUs though mean larger and bulkier devices. Also, higher BTU levels usually lead to louder noise during the cooling or heating operation of the device, since a larger compressor is needed. Also, this leads to more energy consumption.
In other words, units which have higher BTUs are more suitable for larger areas where the noise is not so noticeable, such as in an office, a working area or a server space.
You may want to go for a unit with a lower BTU for bedrooms or other living spaces if you are sensitive to loud noises.
Do you need a humidifier or a dehumidifier
Most of the top picks for portable air conditioners on this list come with dehumidifiers because they often pull the moisture out of the air and use it for the cooling process.
A living space with too much humidity can lead to discomfort, including excessive sweating and a feeling of fatigue. It also can promote the growth of mold, which released harmful spores into the air which are particularly bad for those of you with allergies, asthma and other respiratory problems.
On the other hand, living in a dry climate is also not good for your health and wellbeing. You need some moisture in the air in order to keep your skin moisturized and in order to breath properly. The evaporative air coolers on this list act as humidifiers as well, because they add moisture to the air during the cooling process based on water evaporation.
The ideal humidity level in your home should be lower than 60%, so make sure you measure the current humidity levels before choosing whether to buy a unit which works as a dehumidifier or a humidifier.
Remember that evaporative air coolers are not as efficient in cooling the air in places where the humidity level is high (60% or more).
Measuring the room size
Before choosing the most suitable air conditioner or evaporative air cooler, it is essential that you measure the room or area where you plan to use it. If the room is very large, a smaller and less powerful unit will not have the cooling effect which you expect. Also, if the unit is too powerful for a small area, it is very likely that it will reduce the temperatures to uncomfortable levels.
This is why you should always measure your room in square feet prior to buying a portable cooling or air conditioning unit. All you need to do is measure the length and width of the room and multiply them. If the living space is not a perfect rectangle or square you can break the floor sown to squares or triangles in order to get the correct square footage.
Once you know the size of the room, picking the most appropriate portable AC or evaporative air cooling device will be much easier.
FAQs which can help you pick the best portable air conditioner
What makes a portable AC better than a split or window AC?
The first answer is portability. You can easily move your portable AC from one room to another unlike the fixed window or split ACs.
The second answer is the cost. Portable ACs are much cheaper than split or window air conditioners. Plus, you don’t need to pay for installation, or for installing window or split ACs in every living space of the house. Also, they are much more power efficient than central air conditioning – especially if you choose to buy an evaporative air cooler.
Are portable air conditioners power efficient?
Portable ACs can be used for cooling single rooms or limited areas, instead of paying for the power needed to cool the entire house via a central AC. Also, you can use them in the fan-only mode when the temperatures fall, which too will save you tons of money.
The evaporative air coolers are especially power saving, as they do not require a compressor in order to cool the ambient temperature in the living area.
How much maintenance is required?
Portable ACs do require some maintenance, but it is not as costly as that required for fixed window or split air conditioners.
The units which have dehumidifiers and do not have an auto-evaporative feature require that the water tank or tray is cleared out on a regular basis. Thankfully, all of these units in this list have useful indicators to warn you when it is time to pour out the accumulated water and will shut off automatically in case you fail to remove the water.
Most of our top picks have the self-evaporation feature, so this is not something which you should be worried about.
The filters of the portable ACs also need to be cleaned from all the dust and other airborne debris. This though can be done every few months, and with these particular models, all you need to do is remove the filter and wash it thoroughly before reinstalling it back.
Choosing between single and dual hose units?
In general, portable air conditioners with a single hose are lighter and more compact than those with a dual hose system. They are however less efficient than the ones with two hoses, due to the negative pressure which allows for hot air to leak through any gaps in the room.
Dual hose units use separate hoses for the intake and exhaust of the air, so the air pressure in the living area is not affected. This makes them more efficient for consistent cooling than single-hose portable ACs.
Are portable ACs noisier than window or split ACs?
Unfortunately, the answer is yes. This is due to the fact that they are located entirely in the room, unlike window or split units where the cooling unit is outside.
The noise from the good quality portable air conditioners is not so bothersome though. Some new models have quiet modes and operate at 48 dB.
If you are sensitive to noise, opt for a portable Ac which has a noise reduction feature, or use a rubber stand to place the unit in order to reduce the vibrations and thus the noise during operation.
As you can see, choosing the best and most suitable portable air conditioner is not the easiest task. You need to consider a number of important factors including the size of the room, the functionality you expect, the BTU power, the noise level, the portability and mobility of the unit, as well as the installation and maintenance requirements. Also, you need to consider other factors such as ease of use, the type of control or remote control which the cooling device has and whether you need a humidifier or a dehumidifier. The latter depends on the climate conditions of the area you live in, as well as on the humidity levels in your home.
If you are looking for some added useful features, pick one of the portable ACs which have useful programmable timers, a sleep mode, an auto shut off mode, or why not a smart portable air conditioner which connects itself to your home Wi-Fi for easy control and monitoring.
For people suffering from dust, pet dander, pollen or other allergies, always look for an air conditioner which has efficient air filters which will help clear the air from allergens and will keep you comfortable and allergy-free. This is also essential if you or a family member suffers from allergies or has other problems with the respiratory system.
The design and the size of the unit are also pertinent to most people, so make sure you pick the one which will fit your interior and available space best. Most of the models have comfortable handles and added wheels for added mobility, which you should keep in mind as well especially if you are planning on moving the unit around or keeping it in storage whenever it is not in use.
We have described in detail what to expect from each and every one of these units.
Hopefully, our comprehensive reviews which include all the basic features, and the pros and cons of the best portable air conditioners and evaporative air coolers will help the task of picking the most appropriate portable cooling device to serve your needs and meet your expectations much easier.
Good luck and enjoy a nice and cool summer with the portable AC of your choice!
Last update on 2019-04-26 at 08:05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API