Ozark Trail is a brand name owned by Walmart and includes a variety of coolers and outdoor equipment like backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, base layers, cap kitchens, camping furniture, canopies, and footwear. One of the most notable and popular associations which people make with Ozark Trail are the excellent quality coolers carrying this brand.
Ozark Trail is known for its affordable and very good quality hard sided and soft sided coolers as well as for the drink wear. The idea of the manufacturers is to offer high quality, reliable ice coolers which are accessible to the average person and to people on tight budgets.
Unlike the premium ice coolers offered by some of the leading brands like Yeti, Pelican and others, Ozark Trail coolers can be found for prices which are just a fragment of those asked for the top of the line products of the same type and size offered by the other cooler companies. The ice chests offered by the company have excellent ice retention capacities and can be the affordable alternatives to the high end expensive hard-sided coolers.
Ozark Trail also has some heavy duty wheeled coolers which are of excellent quality and offered at a great price.
There are also some mainstream soft sided and other coolers which are inexpensive and can be used for carrying your lunch or going on a picnic.
Here is a detailed review of all of the Ozark Trail coolers offered on the market in 2019.
The hard-sided Ozark Trail coolers
Currently, Walmart’s Ozark Trail brand has a line-up of three hard sided ice chest coolers. These include the 26 Quart, 52 Quart, and the 73 Quart Coolers. The manufacturer has focused all efforts to make the most common sizes – small, medium and large.
This is a high performance, heavy duty, roto-molded cooler which has an ice retention capacity of up to 4.5 days thanks to the premium quality insulation of the ice chest. The construction is seamless, sturdy and is definitely built to last. The exterior of this small-sized Ozark Trail ice cooler is UV resistant.
The capacity of the cooler is 26 quarts and it has a size of 21.75 x 13 x 15.5 inches on the outside and interior dimensions of 16 x 9 x 10.75 inches. The weight of this cooler is 16 lbs. when empty.
The ice box can be closed securely via the strong T-handle latches, and the cooler itself has a stainless steel handle on top which provides a comfortable grip.
The Ozark Trail 26 has a stainless steel locking plate and an added bottle opener for your convenience.
The lid has a nifty fish ruler for all the fishers out there, and also 2 convenient drink holders on top, so you can use the cooler as a table. It is bear resistant certified.
The smallest cooler in the series is offered in blue, gray, white and beige color options.
The Ozark Trail cooler is sold at a very affordable price and comes with a 5-year warranty.
The mid-sized 52-quart cooler in this series is available in gray and white color options. It is a heavy duty ice chest which has sufficient insulation, UV protection, and great locking to hold your ice for up to 7 days. The construction is roto-molded and seamless, so there is no danger of any weak spots breaking and leaking while you are on your outdoor adventure.
The Ozark Trail Cooler is 28.75 x 17.5 x 17 inches big, and its interior is 23 x 11.6 x 11 inches in size. The cooler weighs 31.05 lbs. when empty and has heavy-duty handles with a comfortable grip on both sides for easy carrying alone or with a friend.
It has a strong stainless steel locking plate and T-handle latches. An added bottle opener will come in handy when you are lounging outdoors next to it. It also has 4 cup or drink holders on the lid and an integrated fish ruler.
The cooler has an oversized drain for quick water emptying which has a threaded plug. The drain is garden hose compatible and can be drained with or without a hose.
The feet of the cooler are reversible and are anti-skid, so you don’t have to worry about the cooler damaging the flooring if you are dragging it.
You will also receive a useful wire basket to place delicate foodstuffs on top of the cooler.
This is an affordable, bear-resistant ice cooler which is sold with a 5-year warranty.
The price of this large sized roto-molded ice chest cooler is unmatched on the market. It is perfectly affordable and yet is a sturdy and reliable hard-sided cooler which will retain the ice for 9 and more days.
The rugged construction will ensure that the cooler will withstand a lot of bumps, uneven roads, off-road trips, and outdoor adventures in all kinds of conditions.
It is one-piece roto-molded so there are no weak seams on the ice box.
It too has T-handle latches, a built-in bottle opener on the stainless steel locking plate and a pair of heavy duty handles which are comfortable to grip and carry.
The lid has 4 cup holders, a fish ruler and sufficient space to use it as a side table when you are out fishing or camping.
This bear resistant ice cooler has reversible feet which will not damage your hard floor if you drag it instead of carrying it. It has an oversize, garden hose compatible drain and comes with a convenient wire basket for better organization of your beverages and foodstuffs.
The size of the largest ice chest cooler from Ozark Trail is 30.5 x 19.5 x 18 inches, and its roomy interior is 24.6 x 13.7 x 12 inches. The weight of the cooler when empty is 32.25 lbs.
The ice chest comes at a very reasonable price for the size, make and the ice retention capabilities it offers. It too is UV resistant and is offered with a 5-year warranty.
The soft-sided Ozark Trailer coolers
The brand offers a larger selection of budget-friendly soft-sided coolers. The models available on the market in 2019 include – the Premium Jumbo Tote, the Premium 24 can cooler, Premium 36 can expandable top cooler, 12 can cooler, 12 can Premium cooler, 24 can cooler with a removable hardliner, Premium backpack cooler, 48 can zipperless cooler, 30 can zipperless cooler, Vintage 6 can cooler, 18 can extreme cooler blue, 6 can cooler and a 12 can backpack cooler.
All of them are reasonably priced and built to last. Most of all, they are excellent for picnics, carrying lunch, for day trips and for weekend trips.
This excellent quality soft-sided cooler by Ozark Trail is large enough to hold up to 36 cans, 30 lbs. of ice and will retain the ice for 24 hours or more.
- 36 can, 30 lbs. of ice capacity
- Made from strong 600D coated material which is easy to clean
- The lining inside is heat sealed
- Two carry handles for easy mobility
- Two attached bottle openers
- 2 sets of daisy chain attachments
- A large accessory pocket on the front
- A durable and insulating EVA compression molded base
- A removable shoulder strap padded with neoprene
- Available in gray, green or white colors
- A size of 11 x 19 x 15.50 inches
- A weight of 5.6 lbs. when empty
This is a perfect size cooler for a lovely day outside with family and friends.
- It is available in green, gray and white colors
- Made of sturdy 600D material which is coated for protection and for easy cleaning
- A bottle opener attachment option
- A front pocket for extra gear
- An EVA compression molded base to protect the beverages and the shape of the cooler
- A removable neoprene padded shoulder strap for easy carrying
- The capacity of the cooler is 18 gallons, and it can fit 24 cans
- The size is 15 x 12 x 10 inches
Not only can you carry up to 36 cans in this Ozark Trail soft-sided cooler, but you can expand its top to store your food for your outdoor excursion as well.
- A size of 16 x 10 x 14 inches
- It can fit 36 cans, and its top compartment can be expanded by 3 inches to hold dry food
- It has a removable plastic hardliner
- Two side mesh pockets for your water or gear
- A comfortable padded shoulder strap
- Very practical and spacious design
- Available in red, blue, green and gray color options
- Both the interior and exterior are easy to clean
This is another small-sized soft-sided cooler which has the premium features of the higher quality coolers offered under the Ozark Trail brand.
- Available in green and white
- A 12 can capacity plus the ice
- A bottle opener
- A gear pocket with a loop pull zipper
- A comfy neoprene padded strap
- Heat sealed interior lining
- Made of sturdy 600D material
- An EVA compression molded bottom
- It can hold 7.5 lbs. of ice
- A 9-gallon volume
- The size of the cooler is 14.5 x 10 x 8 inches, and it weighs just 1.76 oz.
This is a convenient soft-sided cooler which will keep your beverages and food safe wherever you go, thanks to the removable and washable liner.
- Available in black, blue and green colors
- It can hold up to 24 can plus the ice
- Adjustable and comfortable shoulder strap
- The hard liner is removable and easy to wash and keep sanitary
- large side mesh pockets for additional items
- A front safe zippered pocket for your personal belongings
- The dimensions of the cooler are 12 x 10 x 11.25 inches and it weighs 1.16 lbs.
- An 18-gallon volume
If you want a budget-friendly, small-sized cooler, you can’t go wrong with this soft-sided cooler by Ozark Trail.
- It is available in blue, gray, red and green
- The cooler has a 3 inch expandable top for added storage
- It also has a removable liner which can be cleaned
- The capacity of the cooler is up to 12 cans
- The insulation will keep the food safe and free of odors
- There are two zippered pockets for your belongings and gear
- Two side mesh pockets for even more storage options
- A soft padded shoulder strap
- Available at a low cost
- A capacity of 9 gallons
- A size of 7 x 11.75 x 10 inches and a weight of 1.17 lbs.
This cool looking backpack cooler will grab everybody’s attention when you are outdoors enjoying a day trip, and it will ensure that you always have your favorite beverage cold and nearby.
- Offered in gray, green and white
- Made of easy to clean, durable 600D material
- The straps of the backpack are completely adjustable and cushioned
- The interior can fit up to 20 cans as well as the ice to keep them cold
- It has 2 bottle openers
- 2 daisy chain points for attachment
- A nifty front pocket for accessories
- An EVA foam compression molded base and top
- A compression strap
- It can hold 15 lbs. of ice
- The size of the backpack is 7 x 9 x 9.5 inches, and it weighs 2 lbs.
This is the largest of the soft-sided coolers under the brand name Ozark Trail and is suitable for spending time outdoors with a large group of friends or family.
- The patented lid is zipperless for easy access
- The cooler offers premium insulation with a radiant heat barrier
- The liner and removable shelf are FDA compliant
- The lining is easy to clean, leak proof and food safe
- A triple layer base for cold blocking and insulation
- A padded adjustable shoulder strap which is designed to keep the back safe
- The exterior is water and stain resistant and is easy to clean
- The size of this large-sized cooler is 20 x 12.52 x 13.50 inches, and it weighs 4.2 lbs.
- It has a volume of 36 gallons and can carry up to 48 cans
This is a smaller version of the previous cooler which also features the patented lid which is zipperless and yet will keep the beverages and food inside cold.
- The lack a zipper makes the cooler easy to open and close
- A top quality insulation and heat barrier will ensure that your drinks are cold
- A capacity of 30 cans
- The hard liner, as well as the removable shelf, are FDA compliant
- The lining is leak proof and very easy to keep sanitary and clean
- The exterior pocket is insulated
- The shoulder strap is ergonomic, padded and adjustable
- The exterior is also easy to clean and is stain and water resistant
This is the smallest of the soft-sided coolers offered by Ozark Trail, and is perfect for a lunch bag or for an intimate date or picnic outdoors.
- Very budget friendly price
- Removable hard liner for easy cleaning
- 3 inch expandable top for extended storage
- An adjustable shoulder strap
- Side mesh pockets
- An internal divider which can slide to each side
- A front pocket with a zipper
- Very compact size of just 8.5 x 7 x 9 inches, and a weight of only 0.65 oz.
- A capacity of up to 6 cans
This backpack cooler is easy to carry even when hiking, cycling or walking and will keep your drinks and food cold and fresh all day.
- A large main compartment which can fit up to 12 cans
- PVC liner which is durable and easy to clean
- Adjustable and padded shoulder straps
- Additional mesh pockets for your gear and belongings
- A size of 10 x 18 x 14 inches
- A weight of just 0.38 lbs.
An overview of the features of the Ozark Trail hard sided coolers
The coolers are available in only 3 sizes and come in limited color options, but the sizes of 26, 52 and 73 quarts are the ones which are the most popular and sought for at the market.
Here are the features which stand out when it comes to the Ozark Trail ice chest coolers:
- They have many of the features of the premium coolers but are available at a much more affordable price
- They are made via one-piece roto-molding which leaves no weak seams and makes the coolers durable as well as enhances the ice retention
- The thickness of the walls of the coolers is between 2.5 and 3 inches depending on the size of the Ozark Trail cooler
- The walls of the coolers are coated with a layer which is UV resistant which will help protect them from sun damage
- The coolers have thick rubber gaskets to ensure that the cold stays in when the ice box is closed
- The T-latches work great to keep the coolers closed and insulated
- Most metal components on these coolers are made of stainless steel which will ensure years of use and all weather conditions
- The coolers are tested and certified as Grizzly bear resistant
- The medium and larger sized coolers have a large drain which is hose compatible for quick and easy draining
- The coolers also have non-skid and reversible feet
- The stainless steel locking plate can also be used as a bottle opener
- They have nifty fish rulers on the lids
- There are cup holders on top too – 2 for the smallest cooler and 4 for the medium and largest one
- The medium and large ice chest coolers come with a complimentary wired basket for a neater storage
- The handles are comfortable and sturdy which makes carrying the cooler easier
An overview of the features of the Ozark trail soft-sided coolers
The Ozark Trail soft-sided coolers are available in a wide variety of sizes and shapes, and there are some models which are budget friendly while the more premium models cost more and yet are still very affordable.
Here are the main features which we liked about the Ozark Trail soft-sided coolers and backpacks:
- They are available in all sizes from 6 cans up to 48 cans
- There are ordinary and premium models but all of them are very affordable
- The coolers have large insulated areas and also feature additional external pockets – zippered, mesh and others
- Many of the models have a convenient extendable top option which can increase their height by up to 3 inches and makes the cooler larger
- Most of the soft-sided coolers have comfortable padded shoulder straps for easy and comfy carrying, and the backpack coolers are even more convenient and easy to carry thanks to the soft and adjustable shoulder straps
- Most soft-sided coolers have hard liners which help keep the coolers in shape and protect the goods inside, and these liners are removable for easy cleaning and sanitizing
- Some models have EVA compression molded bases and tops for further protection
- The Premium models have bottle openers, compression straps, thicker insulation, daisy chain attachment options, as well as a washable and durable 600D coating
The ice retention of the Ozark Trail coolers
Naturally, what interests people the most is the effectiveness of an ice cooler. After all, the main point of a cooler is to keep the beverage, foodstuffs, medicines or other temperature sensitive products cool for as long as you need it to.
Since the Ozark Trail coolers are so many types, variations and sizes the ice retention of these coolers differ as well.
The inexpensive, small sized soft sided coolers lack too much insulation and too much storage size to keep ice, so it cannot be expected that they will have a very long ice life.
The Premium soft-sided coolers by Ozark Trail, on the other hand, have more insulation, larger capacities and as such will be able to hold ice for longer.
As for the hard-sided Ozark Trail coolers, their ice retention also varies in accordance with the size. The smallest 26-quart cooler is advertised as holding ice for up to 4.5 days, the middle sized 52-quart cooler is said to retain ice for about 7 days, and the larges 73 quarts one will hold ice for up to 9 days, according to the manufacturer.
After some actual tests with real coolers and ice, the results showed that the soft-sided Premium tote can hold ice for 1 ½ days, and the Premium backpack will hold it for a complete day.
The lower-end soft-sided coolers can hold the ice for just a few hours, but of course, this depends on the size of the cooler, the ice to can proportion and the use of the cooler.
As for the hard-sided Ozark Trail coolers, the ice retention tests show that they can hold ice for 2 to 5 days depending on the use, the volumes of ice and beverages, and the weather.
Even though these results are quite impressive, they are not competitive the leaders in the premium cooler market.
The design of the Ozark Trail coolers
Even though appearance shouldn’t be the main factor when you are choosing the best ice cooler, it still has some value. The Ozark Trail coolers are not the most attractive coolers in the industry, but there are some standouts, specifically from the premium soft sided series and from the hard sided ones.
The ice chest Ozark Trail coolers have a very contemporary design and look. They have eye-catching features and modern sharp edges. The small orange accents on the shiny latches and handles are especially impressive. Unfortunately, the hard sided Ozark Trail coolers come is only white or silver colors, except for the smallest 26-quart coolers which come in two additional colors – blue or beige.
The soft-sided coolers have various solid colors with very little interesting accents on many of them.
Still, given the price and the quality of these coolers, we are quite happy with their overall design and aesthetics.
If we have to be honest, we do prefer that there are a few more color options to pick from, as well as options for customizing the coolers too.
The Ozark Trail cooler prices
You can buy an Ozark Trail cooler for a price as low as $10-15 and then again, you can opt for a premium soft-sided or an ice chest cooler, which obviously has higher price tags.
Still, in comparison to the competition, especially to the premium cooler prices, all Ozark Trail coolers are quite affordable and provide good quality and value for the price.
Ozark Trail vs. Yeti
Since Yeti has been the industry leader, with an almost cult-like following, it was interesting to compare the Ozark Trail coolers to those offered by Yeti.
Both the ice chest and the soft-sided coolers made by Yeti are tougher, better built and have more reliable and longer ice retention than that offered by similar Ozark Trail coolers.
But, given the huge difference in the pricing between them, and the overall satisfactory quality of Ozark Trail coolers, they are a perfectly acceptable alternative to those offered by Yeti, if you are not ready to break the bank and are on a tight budget.
The Ozark Trail coolers, especially the roto-molded ice chests have almost all of the great features offered by those by Yeti and can be purchased at a much lower price.
Overall, the hard sided Ozark Trailer coolers are in the mid to low range when it comes to price as compared to the other cooler brands on the market.
As a whole, we are pretty impressed by the build quality, the ice retention capabilities and the design of many of the Ozark Trail coolers. The manufacturer has proved that a good quality cooler can be made and sold at a fraction of the price of what the premium cooler makers are asking for their high-end products.
Even though there can be some minor issues regarding the quality or durability of some of Ozark Trail’s coolers, in general, this brand is proving to be one of the best in its range.
Given the affordable prices of the Ozark Coolers, it is absolutely worth investing in one of them, even if you risk facing an issue with its quality later on.
The Ozark Trail coolers also have some additional features which are pretty impressive, such as added pockets, cup holders, removable hard liners, added wire baskets, expandable storage and so on, all included in the very reasonable prices of these products.
These coolers all have excellent carrying options, with most of the soft-sided coolers having adjustable and ergonomic shoulder straps, so portability is definitely a plus.
Last but not least, we love how Ozark Trail has a cooler for just about everyone and for every need. Starting from soft-sided coolers for 6 cans, and ending with soft sided ones for up to 42 cans, and with ice chest coolers from 26 to 73 quarts, we are sure that just about anybody will find a cooler which will suit their preferences and requirements among the assortment offered by Ozark Trail.