This month we all came down with the horrific flu. We were all so bumped up that we could not leave the house even if our lives depended on it. Sore muscles, protruding headaches, clogged noses – we were laying in our beds 24h for about a week.
Sleep deprived and worn out. We could not even gather any strength to prepare a decent meal.
Luckily, family and friends came to our rescue. Every single day someone would bring us a warm home-cooked meal that we would fall upon like a pack of hungry wolves. Believe me, at such times, a decent meal is worth more than its weight in pure gold.
At some point, my dear friend brought us a meatloaf that was so tender and juicy that it brought us to life in no time.
I have had my share of meatloaves in life – I both prepared them and ate them on numerous occasions, but this meatloaf was somehow different. I rang her up and asked her what the secret was, and she told me that her meatloaf recipe was quite basic, even with no eggs in it.
How To Make Meatloaf Without Eggs
It was quite a puzzle for me as all my recipes included eggs. I thought they were necessary to bind the meat and keep the loaf compact when you cut through it. Apparently, that was not the case, and I asked her for the recipe right away.
I could not wait for the occasion to make this succulent meatloaf and take it to someone who was so kind to me while I was incapable of taking care of my family.
Returning a favor always makes me feel good, and I now knew that there is no better gift than home-cooked food. Meatloaves are a great choice for such an occasion as they are true comfort food. If you throw in a keepsake greeting card to go with it, you are sure to wow your loved ones.
Read on to get this great recipe, but also a few more suggestions and tips about how to make meatloaf without eggs!
Meatloaf Without Eggs: My Friend’s Recipe
Besides being a treat for your palate, this meatloaf without eggs is very easy to make and requires only five minutes to prepare. Of course, it will take about 45 minutes to cook, but you can watch your favorite TV show while waiting and thus double the enjoyment. 🙂
There is more good news – you will need only four ingredients, none of which is hard to find or expensive, and therefore you will be able to make this meatloaf anytime you desire.
The best thing about this meatloaf is the fact that it has only 241 kcal calories per serving, which is quite low and good for all of you who mind their calorie intake. The high protein content will keep you satiated long too, which makes this meatloaf a great choice for all of you who want to stay fit.
You will need the following ingredients:
- One pound of lean ground beef ( You can grind it yourself with a meat grinder!)
- One-quarter of a cup of crumbled cheddar crackers (the crumbs should have the consistency of coarse breadcrumbs)
- One-quarter of a cup of ketchup
- One tablespoon of water
- Salt & black pepper (finely ground) to your taste
- Olive oil
You will also need:
- A large mixing bowl
- 1-quart baking dish ( or a bread loaf pan)
How to prepare the meatloaf without eggs
- Set your oven to 375 F and let it heat.
- Take a large mixing bowl. Add the cracker crumbs, a tablespoon of water, and two tablespoons of ketchup and combine it all into a chunky paste.
- Season the mixture with salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Mix in the ground beef and make sure that the paste and meat blend well.
- Oil the pan a bit and place the meat mixture in it. Make sure it is evenly distributed and pat it down a bit.
- Glaze the top with the remaining ketchup.
- Bake in the oven for about forty minutes (at 375 F). It is best to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the center of your meatloaf and make sure that it has reached at least 160 F before you take it out. Don’t forget to use oven mitts!
- Once removed, the meatloaf should be allowed five minutes to cool.
- Slice the meatloaf and serve it (or take it to your loved ones as a special treat and sign of affection!)
Additional Tips and Suggestions
- The cheddar crackers can be substituted with gluten-free crackers for a gluten-free version of this delicious meatloaf.
- Cheddar crackers can be replaced with an equivalent quantity of seasoned breadcrumbs too.
- You can bake the meatloaf in an eight by 8 square pan as well.
- Prepare the meatloaf ahead and form the shape you want. Wrap such meatloaf in plastic wrap and freeze it raw. When you want to cook it, simply leave it to defrost in your fridge overnight and then cook it as you usually would.
- You can also freeze an already cooked meatloaf. Just wrap it in a plastic wrap tightly and place it in the freezer. As with raw meatloaf, you need to defrost it in your fridge overnight and then reheat it in your oven (at 350 F). The best way to know when the meatloaf is ready to serve is to check the internal temperature (it should be 160 F).
How to Make Meatloaf Without Eggs: Additional Methods
I vouch for the recipe my friend gave me, and so do my boys and hubby. They beg me to make them this meatloaf every weekend. It has become a sort of tradition in our house. And it is so simple and quick to prepare! For that reason, I often make it for sudden guests too.
However, you do not have to concentrate solely on this recipe. There are other successful methods you can turn to when you want to make meatloaf without eggs.
For example, you can use:
1. Bread & Milk
- Bread softened in milk will have almost the same effect as the egg – it will bind the meat and make the meatloaf more tender and juicy. You simply soak the bread (or breadcrumbs) in enough milk to make it really moist and then add that mixture to the ground meat of your choice.
2. Unflavored Gelatin
- You can add one tablespoon of unflavored gelatin to half of a cup of beef stock and let it work its magic. Then simply add that to the ground meat, and season it to your taste. You can use gelatin even when you use the eggs as it will help retain moisture and make the meatloaf more succulent. If you do add an egg, reduce the amount of gelatin to half of a tablespoon, though.
3. Unsweetened Applesauce
- It might sound unusual, but unsweetened applesauce does the job rather well. If you are worried that it will change the taste or alter the texture of your meatloaf – don’t be! I have tried it, and the meatloaf turned out delicious as ever. This is the simplest method, too – just add half a can of unsweetened applesauce to each pound of ground meat.
- You can even use the sweetened applesauce, but in that case, use only a quarter of a can in order not to change the taste of your meatloaf.
My guide on how to make meatloaf without eggs will come in handy for all of you who are allergic to eggs or simply too lazy to run to the store and buy some when you crave a succulent meatloaf.
In any case, it is good to have such an easy to prepare recipe up your sleeve so make sure you note it down!
Do not forget to let me know how you liked it! 🙂
- A Delicious And Caloric Potato And Cheese Pierogi Recipe - April 24, 2021
- Healthy Homemade Snack: Integral Crispbread Bars With Grains - April 24, 2021
- Catherine’s Cheese & Nougat Spread - April 24, 2021