I was picking up some groceries the other day when I noticed there was a new section in the store, where you could get interesting pastry filled with all kinds of stuff.
Everything was labeled “healthy”, “organic”, “gluten-free” and similar, grabbing people’s attention.
Some girls were handling free samples for tasting, and the pleasant bakery aroma was spreading all over.
It was quite interesting to see and try something similar to the Swedish crispbread. They tasted crunchy, salty, yet stacked with a bunch of healthy grains the texture was amazing. After being so pleasantly surprised I brought some to my home.
Imagine how it went.
Further Reading:Barbara’s Tips On How To Make Swedish Pancakes
I had to bring these up, and share them with you, before they were devoured by three rascals who behaved like they never ate something like that before.
Minutes later, a discussion started.
“Could you make more of these at home, Mommy? Super-Pleaseeeee!”В
Even John (my dear husband) joined to overwhelm me.
What to do when they use the cuteness attack? How to defend yourself?
I’m around for a quite while, and I haven’t found a recipe for defense. 🙂
So, here I am hours later, after making something as similar to these store-bought snacks as possible.
I mean, I’m a capable woman, I can handle things.
Further Reading:В Learn How To Freeze Bread
What do you think?
Not too shabby for an old lady, huh?
It’s quite easy to make these, and it doesn’t take much time.
Let’s get you informed on how to make these.
What you’ll need for healthy crispbread bars
- ВЅ cup flax seed
- ВЅ cup sesame
- ВЅ cup sunflower grain
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ВЅ cup white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ВЅ tbsp salt
- Вј cup olive oil
- 1 ВЅ cup water
Note from Barb: This is the foundation of the recipe. Its flexibility lies in your imagination, though – add any type of seeds you have at home to make something unique!
Note #2: “Cup” in this recipe refers to the standard US cup, equals 250 milliliters.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and prepare a large baking tray & baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Stir well.
- Add 1 cup of water and all the oil to the mix.
- Get busy with your hands – start mixing and shaping the mass. Try to make it even as much as possible. Add the remaining ВЅ cup of water if necessary.
- The dough you’ll get from this method won’t be smooth, but don’t worry. At this stage, it’s important to make a uniform mass which won’t stick to the hands or the bowl.
- Pour some flour on a baking sheet, and put the dough on it.
- Use the rolling pin to thin out the dough evenly, until it reaches a perfect thickness (or thinness). I aim for 2-3mm, because the baking powder will make them grow a bit during baking. Make extra sure that your dough is even on the edges, same as in the middle.
- Cut the dough into small bars, or any way you like.
- Place the bars into a baking tray which you covered with baking sheet, and place into the oven for baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes, with occasional check
- Let them cool of and serve. 😉