Healthy chocolate bars – is this possible?
As you’ve probably heard a thousand times, chocolate isn’t really good for us, especially if we are a bit bigger. (try telling that a stubborn fifty year old)
In our house, chocolate is a taboo topic, especially during this summer.
We’re all going through the process of denial and feeling bad about our bodies, and promising ourselves that we’ll exercise more and eat healthier food – especially starting the next Monday.
Being above this situation, I’ve heard this over and over.
Chocolate is one of my passions – I just can’t live without it. Especially when it’s combined with something as good as cranberries, pistachio, ginger, and pepper.
Yup, you’ve read it right – this snack includes black pepper! 🙂
The beauty of it is in the details and how it is to make it.
Also, it requires a tiny bit of ingredients, and their synergy provides both texture and rich flavor.
Oh, that texture…
I love that the bars are of irregular shape – it brings the creative genius in me so happy!
On the other hand, my boys & my hubby did have some comments about it – before they devoured them all.
I was lucky to have one batch ready for photographing, otherwise, we wouldn’t be here to discuss these fantastic bars and how easy they are to make and enjoy.
Just look at this creative, tasty mess
Here’s what you’ll need
- 8.8 ounces (250 gr) high cocoa chocolate (I went for Pascha)
- 1.76 ounces (50 gr) pistachio – peeled
- 1.76 ounces (50 gr) cranberries
- A 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- A 3/4 teaspoon of ginger
Small note from Barbara: You can put more cranberries & pistachio if you’d like; the 2,5/1 ratio is ideal for my taste preference. If you want more chocolate flavor then go for more chocolate and less of the two ingredients.
How to prepare Barbara’s Healthy Choco Bars
- Melt the chocolate – use a microwave or heat it on the stove.
- Add ginger & pepper when the mixture reaches the liquid state. Mix well.
- Spread the chocolate mixture on a baking sheet evenly. Decide on thickness in advance and make sure to keep it consistent.
- Cut the pistachio and sprinkle it evenly on top of the mixture.
- Put the cranberries on top of the spread. Make sure everything is mixed well.
- Refrigerate for two hours.
- Break the bar into smaller parts. If you want to be creative like me just break however you like. If you want to be precise use a mold or a knife.
- Serve & enjoy!
Dark chocolate is good for your heart, your brain, and your overall health. You can learn more about the health secrets of dark chocolate here.