Choosing a hamster cage may seem like a mundane task for beginners, but long-time hamster parents know how important choosing the best hamster cage is for the wellbeing, safety, and health of the animal, as well as for their own convenience when it comes to cleaning and access as well.
Hamsters need enough living space, as well as toys, food bowls, exercise wheels, and other accessories, so keep that in mind when picking the most suitable cage for your pet.
We chose the Living World Deluxe Habitat as the top-ranked and best hamster cage for 2020, but there are numerous other excellent quality hamster cages which made it to our top list for the year.
Read on to find out more about the top-ranked cages for hamsters as well as the important features to look for when shopping for the perfect hamster cage.
This breezy hamster cage will give your furry friend the freedom and space to feel happy and to get all of the exercise it needs.
The Deluxe Habitat has an up and down platform which your pet can use to run up and down and a balcony. Also, the cage comes with a water bottle and a dish, so it is ready and set to be used as a new home for your hamster.
The top is made of wire, and flips over easily for easy access and cleaning in two places. It also has a wire door for easy access from the front of the cage as well.
The deep bottom is made of safe plastic which is fully secured to the top, and provides enough space to place deep and comfortable bedding inside and to keep it in.
This is a hybrid hamster cage by Living World provides a secure home for your furry pet, sufficient ventilation for it, and is made of durable materials.
It provides a comfortable spacious living environment, doesn’t require any complicated assembly tools and the tip-proof dish will remain full of food no matter how much your hamster decides to play with it.
The cage is available in standard, large and extra-large sizes. The X large habitat is 46.9 (L) x 22.8 (W) x 24 (H) inches in size and is suitable for hamsters, rabbits, ferrets, chinchillas, and guinea pigs.
The large-sized version is 37.8 (L) x 22.4 (W) x 22 (H) inches is great for hamsters, guinea pigs, small rabbits, and chinchillas.
The standard cage by Living World is 30.7 (L) x 18.9 (W) x 19.7 (H) inches and works best for hamsters, guinea pigs, chinchillas, and small rabbits.
Overall, this generously-sized cage is one of the best habitats for hamsters and other small pets on the market right now.
The Prevue Universal Cage for Small Animals is another top-quality hamster cage which we can strongly recommend.
It has tight /38-inch wire spacing on the top and a large and deep base (6 ¼ inches) for the bedding, accessories, and comfort.
It also has an 18 x 12 3/8 inch platform and a ramp which is 14.5 x 4.5 inches long for your furry friend to climb up and down and get its daily exercise.
You can place the snacks for your pet on the platform for a mess-free environment in the bottom tub.
The hamster cage has two large entry doors from the top and from the side. The doors are 12 ¾ (L) x 9 (W) inches in size.
The dimensions of this Animal Home cage are 32.5 (L) x 19 (W) x 17.5 (H) inches. It weighs 14 lbs. so it is light and easy to carry around when needed.
This large age with a large and nifty platform and safely spaced wire is everything a hamster needs. It provides enough space for game, play and sleep, and is also a safe haven for any small animal.
You can use this large-sized hamster cage for housing more than one hamster comfortably too.
Best budget-friendly option
This budget-friendly, compact CritterTrail animal habitat by Kaytee is the perfect inexpensive startup cage for a new small animal owner. It is small-sized and suitable for baby hamsters, dwarf hamsters, mice, and gerbils.
This cage has expandability ports, so you can add various additional accessories, likes tubes, cages, and others to it over time, as your furry baby grows, or you can use it as an expansion to your existing cage too.
It is also a good option if you need a travel cage for your little friends as it is very light and compact.
The affordable hamster cage comes with a food dish, a bowl for water, a hanging nest and an exercise wheel – which is everything your small furry friend will need when it first arrives at home.
It will have where to sleep, where to eat and drink, where to exercise, and where to hideout all in one and at an excellent price.
The wheel is about 4.63 x 7.2 x 69 inches.
There is a wide door on the top and a smaller one on the front for easy access to your pet.
Also, it has a removable zone where you can pet and play with your little friend too.
The dimensions of this cage are 16 x 11.5 x 10.25 inches
Overall, this is a small cage which is great for portability, as the first home for your baby hamster, or as a startup habitat which you will later expand.
At an inexpensive price, you will receive everything you need to welcome your furry baby home for the first time!
The rest of the best
If you want to invest in a well-made, convenient and comfortable habitat with more than the minimal living area needed for a hamster, the Kaytee CritterTrail Small Animal Super Habitat is one of the best options on the market right now.
- A generous size of 30 x 18 x 16.5 inches and light weight of 12 lbs.
- Provides 540 square inches of living space for the little one
- The narrow spacing of the bars (only ¼ inch) makes this cage suitable for the smallest pets like mice, hamsters, and gerbils
- A large top door for easy access to your pets, and hassle-free cleaning and caring for them
- It closes with secure bunny ear latches
- The cage has a top comfort shelf and a ramp which your hamster can use to get there for a quick treat or some fun
- It also has a bubble plug funnel tube, as well as a port door connector
- You can easily connect the Super habitat cage to other CritterTrail accessories and cages, so you can expand your pet’s living space endlessly
- The cage has plenty of room to add your pet’s favorite exercise wheel, swing, and other accessories
- It has a very pretty blue colored design
This multi-level, large-sized hamster cage is a perfect habitat for your curious little hamster. It will have an opportunity to explore all the different comfort shelves, and you will have an opportunity to fill the interior with your pet’s favorite accessories as well.
- It has three comfort shelves at three different levels connected with three safety ramps
- It also comes with a cute food dish, so it is a great start-up cage for your small pet
- Perfect habitat for small animals like hamsters, gerbils, chinchillas, sugar gliders, rats and others
- The deep base allows for adding a lot of bedding and prevents spills outside of the cage
- It has a wide door in front for easy access
- The latches are chew-proof and the wire is durable, so your furbaby will be safe from sneaking out
- It also has a secure wire base locking system
- The bar spacing is ½ inches
- The dimensions of the multi-level hamster cage are 30.5 x 18 x 30 inches, and it weighs 17.9 lbs.
- It provides about 9.5 cubic feet of living space for your pet
The Ferplast Favola hamster cage looks unlike any other hamster cage with its transparent bottom and its nifty two-level system which easily separates the burrowing and eliminating sector from the play and feeding quarters of the hamster.
- This cage is specifically designed for hamsters
- It comes with a nice exercise wheel, a nest, a drinking bottle, a feeding bowl and a steel nozzle for drinking
- A tank-like transparent deep bottom tray made of sturdy plastic, where your furbaby can dig, burrow and eliminate
- You can keep an eye on your hamster as it is digging around in the bedding thanks to the transparent plastic
- A spacious upper level made of wire where the hamster can sleep, play, eat, drink water and explore
- There is a ladder for getting from the bottom to the top part of the cage
- The habitat has connection caps allowing you to connect it to other cages and accessories like tubes and toys
- This has all the accessories you need for a start-up cage for your small pet, and you can expand it over time
- There is a top door for easy access and for quick cleaning
- The base and the wire structure too can be unlocked for complete cleaning
- The dimensions of the cage are 23.62 x 14.37 x 11.81 inches, and it weighs only 6.37 lbs.
- The overall living space the habitat provides is about 240 square inches
- The space between the wire bars is ¼ inches
- The exercise wheel is removable
If you are looking for a complete starter cage for your new small pet, or you want a fun and compact cage which you will, later on, expand with additional accessories and connect to other habitats, this cute Ferplast Laura violet hamster cage is another great option available on the market.
- A very colorful hamster cage which both your furbaby and your children will enjoy
- It is sold with all accessories you need for a startup hamster cage, including a feeding bowl, a drinking bottle, a nest, as well as clear exercise tubes and a wheel
- The wheel, the upper shelf, and the water bottle are adjustable
- The habitat also has a plastic comfort shelf for your furry friend
- The wire net upper can easily be attached to other rodent cages, so you can expand your pet’s habitat over time by adding new accessories and places to explore
- The wire net top provides excellent ventilation
- The deep bottom will keep the bedding and waste from spilling out
- It provides easy access for petting and cleaning through the front or top doors, as well as via the lockable wire net top and a plastic bottom
- The cage is 18.11 x 11.61 x 14.76 inches, and it weighs 5.42 lbs.
- It is also suitable for a travel cage thanks to its compact size and light weight
If you want a simple, durable and comfortable hamster cage which is reasonably priced and will last for years, the AmazonBasics Pet Habitat could be one of the best choices for you.
- Made of durable iron wiring on the top and hard PP plastic on the bottom this cage will withstand a lot of wear and tear
- Its open design provides optimal ventilation, no matter where you decide to place the cage
- It has a convenient plastic balcony and a fun ramp for easy access
- It is also sold with a non-drip drinking bottle, a hay guard, and a tip-proof food dish
- No tools are required for assembling this cage
- The bottom tray is extra deep to prevent spillages and to provide more bedding and space for your hamster
- The cage is also available in Large and Jumbo sizes
- It is backed by a 1-year warranty
- The size of the standard sized habitat is 31.7 (L) x 21.8 (W) x 18.1 (H) and it weighs 11.37 lbs.
- It is very reasonably priced for the quality and durability of the product
The Kaytee Large Guinea Pig habitat comes with a convenient mobile stand, so you can easily move the cage around the home with you when needed.
- A large-sized cage of 30.25 x 18 x 20.25 inches which provides comfortable living space for hamsters, hedgehogs, rats, and other small animals
- The corners of the cage are rounded which makes cleaning it easier than ever
- A spring-loaded lockable flip-up large top door for easy access
- Front doors for petting and cleaning
- A locking food dish which will keep it in place and keep it from tipping or sliding around
- The deep base will keep the bedding and litter inside of the cage
- The habitat is sold with a premium quality comfort shelf and a safety ramp
- The cage comes with a mobile tubular metal base with caster wheels which can be locked for safety and convenience and can be used to roll the cage around easily
- The cage weighs 15.25 lbs.
- An all-in-one secure and portable living area for hamsters and other small pets
- It comes with everything you need for your furbaby including a lookout comfort deck, a ladder, a quiet exercise wheel, a food dish, a chew-proof water bottle with a stainless steel tip and holder, and a litter guard
- A large plastic door for easy access which can be locked securely
- The cage can easily be disassembled for easy cleaning
- A deep base with round corners which will prevent the bedding and litter from falling out, and which is easy to clean
- It has patented lock connectors which allow for attaching it to other habitats and accessories
- Very suitable for traveling
- A compact size of 16 x 10 x 9.5 inches
- Very cute design
- It is offered at a budget-friendly price, suitable for a start-up cage and for a portable travel habitat for your furbaby
If you are planning on buying a hamster for your child as a gift, this amazingly cute, and yet secure and spacious hamster haven is one of the best ones you can find on the market in 2020.
- The cage comes with a second-level platform, a slide ladder, an exercise wheel, and a hideaway dome
- All components are in fun colors which will be a joy to the eye for you and for your child
- The habitat is 21.63 x 13.33 x 14.25 inches in size
- It has to access points – a large top door and a front door for easy access to your pet and for hassle-free cleaning
- An excellent beginner piece and gift for a child
- The hamster cage is available in three sizes – small, medium and large
- It is reasonably priced and is sold with a 90-day warranty
Features to look for when buying a hamster cage
When you are looking for a hamster cage for your pet, you need to keep in mind the various important features which are important for the animal’s wellbeing and health, as well as for your convenience as well.
By choosing the appropriate hamster cage, you can help ensure that your pet remains healthier overall for longer and it has a higher quality of life.
Remember that these small and delicate animals can easily get hurt or get lost if you let them run around the house freely, which is why they do require their own home within your home.
Since this will most probably be the most important investment you will be making for your hamster, it is a good idea to do some research and to take into consideration the key factors which you should be looking for.
Here are the main features you should consider when choosing the best habitat for your furbaby:
While hamsters are small mammals, they do need sufficient space to live comfortably and healthily. You should choose a cage which is the right size for the type and age of your pet. This is one of the most important features which you should take into consideration when shopping for a hamster cage.
The general recommended minimum size for the main living habitat for your small pet is 18 (W) x 13 (H) x 25 (L), which equals 450 square inches of floor space.
You may choose a shorter and narrower cage if the living space is enhanced by different levels of added comfort shelves and decks which create multi-leveled habitats for the small animals.
Your pet will also require separate areas to burrow, to sleep, to go to the bathroom and to store food.
If you are planning on housing more than one hamsters a good rule of the thumb is to multiply the minimal recommended space by the number of pets that will be living together.
Dwarf hamsters can safely be paired but only same-sex animals, in order to prevent breeding.
You can pair Russian Campbell and Robovski hamsters in pairs as well.
Please note that Syrian hamsters are territorial animals and should not be housed together under any circumstances. You can still look after more than one Syrians, but make sure they are in separate cages with a distance of 4-6 inches from one another for safety reasons.
Syrian hamsters are the largest and will need a cage with a living space of a minimum of 450 square inches. Also, you should pick larger sized wheels and wider tubers for Siberian hamsters if you want to prevent them from getting stuck or hurting themselves.
The recommended size for an exercise wheel for a Syrian hamster is 10-12 inches.
Dwarf and Chinese hamsters need a more tightly secured cage, as they are smaller than the Syrians. With these hamsters, you should pay special attention to the spacing between the wire bars. These animals are very small and can easily make their way out of larger spaces, so look for a cage which has no more than a ½ inch spacing.
They do still need as much room to run, play and explore as possible, but the absolute minimum for a cage is a 450 square inch living space.
The bottom and bedding depth
If you are reading this article, then you are probably familiar that hamsters are burrowing mammals and love to dig.
The deeper the bedding bottom or tray, the better your pet will feel.
You should choose a cage which has a bedding tray at least 2 inches deep if you want to keep your pet happy and prevent it from spilling the bedding and litter out of the cage.
Needless to say, just like we require oxygen and fresh air to breathe, hamsters need that too. Wire cages are excellent options for these animals as they provide ventilation on the top areas and an enclosed area on the bottom for the bedding.
A poorly ventilated hamster cage can cause the build-up of ammonia from the urine of the animal, which can be toxic for your pet and can lead to different breathing problems.
Also, poor ventilation can boost bacterial growth which can make your furbaby sick.
This is why it is advisable to choose wired cages instead of all-plastic ones or glass tanks for your pet hamster.
You should be careful about placing the cage in an area which is way too drafty for the pet too though.
Ease of cleaning
Since you will be cleaning the habitat of your hamster at least once or twice a week, you will want to choose a hamster cage which provides easy access and is easy to clean, in order to save time and effort for the task.
Wire hamster cages are the easiest to clean and may require less cleaning than aquariums or plastic cages because of the better ventilation in them.
A cage which has rounded edges on the bottom is generally easier to clean than one with corners.
Also, some cages with accessories, such as difficult to pull apart tubes or others can cause problems when it comes time for cleaning.
It is advisable to get a secondary smaller cage where you can place your hamster while you are cleaning up its main habitat.
A second small hamster cage is also perfect if you need to travel with your pet.
Of course, you can also use an exercise ball to place your hamster in while you are cleaning its habitat too.
Safety and security
These agile, curious and yet delicate animals can easily open doors, latches, get through tight spaces and get stuck in between the wire bars.
This is why you should look for a hamster cage which has doors which lock securely, and wire bars which are close enough to each other to keep your furbaby inside, and safe from getting stuck or harmed.
Also, choose a cage which has chew-proof wires and door locks, to ensure that your furry friend stays safely inside.
Choosing a cage with a solid floor is also essential for the health and wellbeing of the hamster because the wire floors pose hazards for these small animals and can easily lead to foot injuries.
Plus, the plastic floors are much easier to clean then the grated ones.
You should check for any sharp edges in and on the cage which could cause injuries to your furbaby, such as stray wires and sides.
Also, make sure that the corners and seams cannot be chewed on and do not have any visible glue.
If you are opting for a multi-level cage, then make sure that the different shelves are not too high up that the hamster could injure itself if it happens to fall.
Make sure you add a lot of bedding to the bottom of the cage to protect your pet from any sharp or dangerous edges.
Also, keep the ambient temperature in the room where the hamster lives between 68-75 degrees Fahrenheit, and keep the cage out of very drafty spots.
Accessories, hideouts, and toys
When choosing a hamster cage, remember that your pet will not be living in an empty cage. It needs to be sufficient to fit the needs of your hamster for exploring, playing, sleeping, eating and bathroom needs, but it also needs to fit the different accessories your pet will be using and needing as well.
One of the most important accessories for the hamster cage is the hideout. It will be the place which your hamster will be using as its nest and safety spot.
Place it in a corner, preferably in a hidden spot.
You should provide your pet with accessories which will allow it to exercise and keep it physically and mentally stimulated such as exercise wheels, tubes, and others.
Exercise wheels need to fit the cage comfortable and be large enough to fit the hamster comfortably. They can be free-standing or mounted.
Also, you should provide it with chews toys in order to prevent it from gnawing on the wires and possibly breaking or damaging its teeth and gums.
Other accessories you will be using include a food bowl and a drinking bottle.
Your pet hamster will also be needing a litter box or sand container for its bathroom needs.
You can also add different tubes, bending bridges, upper shelves, safety ramps, and other accessories to keep your favorite pet happy and stimulated.
As you can see, choosing the best hamster cage is not such a simple task. There are so many different factors you need to keep in mind in order to ensure that both your pet and you will be happy with your purchase.
Choosing the right hamster cage for your furbaby is crucial for its health, wellbeing and its quality of life. It is also important for you as an owner and caregiver because you will be cleaning the cage quite often and you will want to make this task as easier as possible.
Also, by ensuring that your hamster has a safe and good quality cage you can reduce the risks of the animal running away, getting lost, getting injured or becoming sick.
So, good luck with your purchase, and we hope that you and your cute furry friend enjoy the new hamster cage.
Hamster Care: How to take care of hamsters | The Hamster House
Last update on 2020-08-14 at 00:13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API