The summer is getting close, and for us foodies, it’s good news.
Primarily it means – fresh fruit!
We’re always doing our best to eat healthy in my household, and that involves going green as often as possible, going no-bake, no added sugar, no preservatives, etc.
Recently I scored some strawberries from the local supermarket, even though it’s not their natural season yet. Even though these were from a greenhouse, I’ve had a trick in my sleeve which I knew will work.
Have you ever heard about grilling strawberries?
Yup, that’s a thing.
This is a well-known technique that brings a dose of earthy, crunchy sensation to strawberries, making a completely new experience. When paired with some healthy greens and mild cheese, you get a perfect combination.
What’s great even more in this recipe, is the fact that you can make this salad very quickly and easily. You only need a grill pan and some (short) spare time.
As easy and as quick as it is, it is also healthy and very delicious. The main thing in this recipe is that these early strawberries are a bit savory and harder.
Simply said, not like the ones you’d get during the peak season. When you buy those you usually leave them to ripe, and then use them.
That’s where grilling comes in handy. It softens them up significantly and releases the juices, so the strawberries get moisty and very delicious.
I mean, just look at this image…
I don’t know about you, but it makes me want to make this salad over and over again. 🙂
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Fresh strawberries (early ones, before the season)
- Lettuce (additional red leaf lettuce for color combo)
- Baby spinach
- Greek feta cheese
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
The amount of greens you’ll use in this recipe depends on the amount of strawberries & cheese. It’s supposed to go 2:1.
For example, if you’ll use two cups of strawberries & half of a cup of feta cheese, you’ll need four cups of greens.
Don’t overstress over the amount of any particular greenie or the type. You can experiment with different types of salad all the way and try your own combination however you like.
Related: How Many Strawberries In A Cup? Catherine’s Cooking Tricks You Should Know
- Clean the strawberries and leave them in fresh water for 30 minutes
- Clean and cut the greenies
- Get a large grill pan, and pour some olive oil over and turn the heat on
- Don’t wait for the oil to heat up, and toss the strawberries on the pan
- Grill them on medium heat for 10 minutes, until they’re soft and start caramelizing
- Cut the feta into small cubes, randomly
- Mix the greens in a large bowl, combine with the cheese, and sprinkle a bit of olive oil for taste (this is optional)
- Get the strawberries from the grill and add them to the salad. Note: mix the ingredients roughly at first, and very gently after the strawberries are in.
That’s it! Now just serve and enjoy!