The world of grills can be a confusing one. It seems like every time you turn around, and there’s some new type of grill popping up with even more features than the last. There are gas grills, charcoal grills, infrared grills, and so much more. But which is best for you? That really depends on what your needs are and how much money you want to spend.
Flat top grills are quickly becoming one of the most popular types of outdoor cooking equipment. They offer a variety of benefits that other types of grills just can’t match, and if you’re in the market for a new grill, these should be at the top of your list.
They’re versatile – You can use them to cook anything from vegetables to meat or fish. If you like experimenting with different flavors and spices, this is an ideal type of grill for you.
You’ll never have flare-ups – These grills won’t catch fire as easily as some others do because gas and oil don’t drip down onto the flames as they do on traditional grills.
They’re cost-effective – This is probably one of the major reasons that people choose flat-top grills. They’re far more affordable than many other types of grills, so you won’t have to worry about spending a ton of money on getting one.
Flat Top Grill Buying Guide
In this buying guide, we break down all things to consider before making your purchase.
There are a ton of different things that go into choosing the perfect grill for your home. It’s important to consider all aspects of personal preference when making this choice because what’s best for your neighbor might not be what’s best for you.
With that said, there are some basic guidelines that you can follow to ensure that you end up with a grill that’s going to work well for your specific home.
- Capacity – The size of the grill is an important thing to consider before making a purchase. How many people do you usually cook for? How often do you plan on cooking for that many people? If you’re only cooking for two or three people at a time, then it probably isn’t necessary to choose a larger grill. You can opt for a grill with around 300 square inches of cooking surface. However, if you plan on hosting barbecues and cook-outs with your friends and family members often, it’s a good idea to go with a larger grill or anything above 500 square inches. Also, take into consideration the space you have on your patio or deck. If you don’t have a lot of room, then you probably want to choose a smaller grill.
- The number of burners – Another thing to consider is the number of burners. Most flat-top grills include one or two burners, but there are some models that offer three or four burners in order to give you more flexibility when choosing your heat level. It is easier to create two-zone cooking on a flat top grill with multiple burners, which are controlled independently.
- Temperature control – In gas griddles, the temperature controls might be thermostatic or manual. Regardless of the type, the control is significantly superior and simpler than compared to the charcoal grill temperature control.
- Cooking plate material – The cooking plates are available in either cast iron or stainless steel. The former is most popular, but it requires quite a lot of care. For example, you should be careful not to use metal utensils with the grill as this may scratch off the seasoning layer and can also cause rusting on the pan.
- Portability – All of the flat top grills on our list are easy to move. If you want to take your grill wherever you go and use it on the tailgate of your truck, this is definitely a thing to consider before buying. If that’s the case with you, check our dedicated article for tailgate grills.
- Cleanup – Opt for a flat top grill with a superior grease management system. However, you should clean the flat top as soon as possible after cooking is done because this will considerably decrease the amount of work that needs to be done later on.
- Is it pre-seasoned – Pre-seasoning a cast iron cooking plate is the process of coating the cooking surface in vegetable oil and heating it up so that the oil sinks into the metal. It helps with a nonstick effect, and you will need less oil while cooking on it. If a grill comes pre-seasoned, this means less work for you.
- Build quality and warranty – The quality of the flat top grill you purchase is a very important factor in determining how much use it’s going to get. If you opt for a cheaper, less durable model, it isn’t going to last as long and may not be worth your money. Most manufacturers provide a fair warranty on their grills, but some warranties go above and beyond.
- Ease of Assembly – No one wants to deal with the hassle of assembling a new product, so the easier it is to put together, the better for you.
Here are the top 6 flat-top grills reviewed for 2021.
This restaurant-grade flat top gas griddle is perfect for those who love to cook with friends and family. It has a total of 720 sq inches of cooking space, which is sufficient for breakfasts, lunches, and dinners.
The grill has a new and improved side shelf, providing the user with a removable wood cutting board, paper towel attachment, and hook for the trash bag.
The rear grease management system helps reduce messes by collecting the dripping fat from the grill into a container that can be removed when it gets full without having to clean up after every use like other flat-top grills on the market today.
The Blackstone Griddle is equipped with a battery-operated push-button start. Your griddle is ready in seconds with the simple push of a button!
The heat-resistant plastic grip makes it safe to grab it barehanded.
This high-quality stainless steel construction can withstand high temperatures, resist odors and stains, and is dishwasher safe.
Transporting the girl wherever you want is easy and convenient due to the removable griddle, four durable wheels, and foldable legs.
The Blackstone Professional Griddle is a commercial-grade flat top grill for home, tailgate parties, picnics, camping trips, etc., and is covered by a 1-year limited warranty from the date of purchase.
- Sturdy and durable construction
- Four burners with a total of 60,000 BTU
- New, improved grease management system
- The side shelves and accessories add to the grill overall convenience
- This grill could serve only as a flat top. The cooking plate is not interchangeable.
The cooking plate is made of cold-rolled steel, which adds durability and sturdiness, and it has two stainless steel burners with a total of 30,000 BTU to ensure even heating for better cooking.
The cooking surface is circular, 22 inches in diameter, surrounded by a 360-degree grease management system that keeps the cooking surface and your deck clean. It has a removable grease tray and drip tray for quick and easy cleanup.
The grill features a push-button ignition that starts with just one press.
With the double-polished stainless steel lid, it is possible to roast, smoking, or steaming with the grill.
This also comes with four sturdy wheels and a foldable handle for easy transport.
Cuisinart round griddle is the perfect solution for small families, especially if you have limited space on your deck or patio. It can cook a single meal or several small dishes at once and is covered by a 3-year limited warranty from the date of purchase.
Assembling the product is quick and easy, taking less than 30 minutes after the grill is out of the box.
- Great for compact spaces
- Stainless steel construction makes it durable
- The two burners provide enough power to heat the grill to 550°F.
- Innovative 360-degree grease pan
- The cooking area is much smaller than other flat-top grills.
- For bigger families, the grill might not be adequate.
- The lid doesn’t have heat resistant handle
The total cooking surface is 339 square inches, with is quite a lot, considering the overall size of the grill.
It also features two powerful H-shaped burners with a total of 24,000 BTU which provide better control over heat distribution and cooking speed.
The grill is fueled by a 1 lb propane tank, which is not included in the package.
The grill comes with a push-button ignition that lights the burners in just one press, making your griddle ready at once.
Blackstone’s complete design is very durable. The cooking surface is made of cold-rolled steel and can withstand high temperatures while also resisting stains and odors.
You can wipe it clean quickly with a rag or sponge! To add to the convenience, this grill has a grease management system that prevents splatters on your walls, deck, or patio.
When we are speaking for portability, easier cleaning is always a plus. No one wants to risk spilling grease or oil on their vehicle while transporting the grill. So going to the picnic with your family, or simply tailgating or camping, this is the perfect grill.
- Great size for all kinds of outdoor activities
- The cooking space is great for such a small grill
- It’s simple to maintain because of the grease management system.
- This model has 17 and 19 inches variations for those who need an even smaller grill.
- The one-pound gas tank is a bit small. It needs to be replaced often when the grill is used a lot.
- You can use a bigger 20-pound tank, but you’ll need a hose and a regulator too.
The cooking surface has 584 square inches, which is enough space for a big family and entertaining large groups of people.
The grill is made from durable stainless steel, ensuring safety and making it easier to clean after use.
The grill’s main feature is the integration of a gas grill and a griddle in one device. This will provide you with plenty of options in the kitchen.
For example, you can cook pancakes or eggs on the griddle and then grill up some sausages or burgers right after that!
Consistent heating is provided by four stainless steel burners, each of which has 12,000 BTU. You may set the heat levels for each burner separately, making it simple to build two distinct cooking regions.
The burners are connected to a gas valve and ignited by an electronic ignition system. With a total power of 48,000 BTU, you’ll be able to turn the temperature on high and sear your meat or veggies in no time!
The grill has a removable grease management system that makes it easy to clean and maintain.
Moving or storing the grill is straightforward due to the foldable legs and lockable casters.
The grill also comes with two side shelves and a convenient hanging bar. This will give you space for the preparation of your food, spices, plates, or utensils.
- The combo design brings grilling and griddling together in one appliance
- 48,000 BTU burners are sufficient for quick cooking
- The grill comes with a removable and effective grease management system
- Foldable legs and wheels for simple movement
The side shelves are fixed, so you can’t adjust or move them
This particular gas grill has four burners with a total power of 60,000 BTU. This will provide you with plenty of heat for high-temperature searing or an even cooking process – especially when combined with the individual burner controls.
The griddle is made of cold-rolled steel with a cooking surface of 760 square inches, which is plenty of space for cooking a lot of food.
This grill does not have side burners, so it might be a bit difficult to fry some eggs or heat up sauces, although you can always do this on the griddle itself.
Cuisinart gas griddle is also full of useful features. The dual grease management system, for instance, will help you maintain your grill in good shape. All the excess fats and oils that drop into the two drip trays are going to be collected and stored so that you can safely dispose of them.
The legs of the grill are foldable, which makes the grill effortless for storage after use. With two wheels and a self-leveling function, moving and positioning this griddle is going to be a breeze.
The griddle itself is also really easy to clean, especially since it has a non-stick surface. Once the grill cools down, all you have to do is wipe off any excess grease or oil with a wet towel, and voila – your griddle will look like new.
Cuisinart is a respected and trustworthy grill manufacturer that always delivers high-quality equipment, and this four-burner model is no exception.
- Durable 760 sq inches cooking surface
- Innovative dual grease management system
- Self-leveling design, suitable for uneven terrain
- The total burning power is 60,000 BTU
- Some users report uneven cooking
- The plastic knobs look cheap compared to the overall appearance of the grill
This is definitely the most superior grill on our list! It deserves first place in every flat top grill comparison. The only downside it has is its astronomical price that may be too high for many of us.
The entire grill is built of 304 stainless steel that is rust-resistant, sturdy, and corrosion-proof. This basically means that the grill will not wear down even after many years of heavy use.
The cooking stone is also stainless steel and comes preseasoned, so it’s ready to be used right away. Because of this, you don’t have to worry about the grill acquiring that bad smell or metallic taste that may afflict unseasoned grills.
The cooking surface is oversized, with 650 sq inches of space for food preparation! Two enclosed circular stainless steel burners deliver a total power of 40,095 BTU. It quickly preheats, reaching temperatures up to 700 degrees Fahrenheit. Evo’s state-of-the-art ignition system ensures that your gas starts flowing every time you turn the knob.
This grill’s biggest advantage is its versatility. It allows direct cooking for both grilling and flattop riddling, so you get both of these methods in one appliance! The huge amount of space available on the cooking surface will allow you to prepare an entire feast at once – large steaks or burgers, fish, vegetables, and even pancakes at the same time!
Evo gas grill could also be used for indirect cooking, which means you can fry, boil, poach or brace on it.
Turning this grill into a smoker or oven is as simple as putting its special stainless steel hood over the cooking area. This makes steaming, low and slow cooking, roasting, or just warming your food are all possible with this grill.
Another great thing about Evo is its grease management system. It represents a big stainless steel drip pan placed around all the cooking surfaces that catches all the fats and oils released by food, preventing them from collecting on your grill. With this system cleaning the grill is going to be a breeze – just put a wet towel on the grill, and all the daily grime will wipe off.
Among the strong points of this grill are also smooth-rolling casters that will allow you to transport your grill with ease.
Evo Professional Grill is the best flat top grill available on the market right now. It doesn’t need any additional features or accessories because it has everything you ever wanted in a grill! Evo is the only choice you will ever need if you are okay with spending quite a lot of money on a grill.
- A well-designed and fully equipped gas grill
- Superbly designed to meet every need
- Very versatile, it can be used for both grilling and flat top griddling
- Big cooking surface
- Includes a grease management system that keeps the grill clean, which is extremely helpful
- It is pretty expensive, but it comes fully packed with features, so you will get your money’s worth
Is it necessary to clean my griddle before I use it the first time?
Yes, it is advisable to clean your griddle before use. You can do this with warm soapy water and a damp cloth. Rinse the griddle with some water and wipe it off with a clean, dry cloth before using it for the first time.
If the griddle is pre-seasoned, you shouldn’t clean it with soap. Just wipe it down with a towel and warm water. To avoid rusting, make sure to dry the grill before storing it away.
How to season my flat top griddle?
Seasoning will prevent food from sticking to the surface and protect against corrosion.
Before you start seasoning your new griddle, make sure it is clean. You need to use a thin layer of vegetable oil to season it and heat it on the whole grilling surface.
Let the grill reach a high heat point, and the oil starts smoking. You’ll see the color of the griddle changing. This is a sign that the seasoning process is going on. Let it cool down and repeat this procedure several times until the griddle has a nice dark color.
In the end, remove any excess oil with a paper towel, and your new flat top is ready for cooking. The griddle should be seasoned once or twice per year, depending on how often you use it.
What is the most effective method to clean my flat top grill after use?
One of the best ways to clean a griddle or flat top grill is by using hot water and no soap.
Start by scrubbing the griddle with a flat spatula. Rinse it with hot water to lose the remaining stuck food particles and repeat the procedure several times.
After this, you can use some nylon scouring pads to remove all the stubborn stains. Rinse with hot water again, and your griddle will be clean.
When the griddle is clean, let it cool down and wipe it with a paper towel. Make sure no water is left on your flat top, and use a small amount of vegetable oil to keep it well-seasoned.
How to store a flat top grill?
To protect the grilling surface from rusting, make sure to dry it with a towel before storing it away for a longer period of time.
The grill needs to be stored in a dry place. If there is going to be a lot of humidity in the storage, you should cover the grill with a fine cloth or sheet.
Don’t put anything on top of your grill – it can damage the grilling surface.
A good practice would also be to apply a thin layer of vegetable oil on the griddle after cleaning it. This will prevent rusting and protect the surface of your grill.
What foods can you cook on a flat top grill?
You can cook almost anything on a flat top grill. It is especially good for cooking dishes that need direct contact with the grilling surface because it heats up evenly and reduces hot and cold spots.
Flat top griddles are also great for food that needs to be flipped often as they allow you to do this with ease. You can use them for cooking vegetables, meat, fish and more.
Grills are also great for cooking steak sandwiches, hamburgers, or chicken breasts. They can be used to toast bread as well for various types of breakfast recipes like grilled cheese sandwiches or pancakes.
You can also use them for grilling your vegetables, such as onions, potatoes, and peppers. Many people like to add their own toppings, so they are able to customize their food with the flavors they prefer.
Steaming or sauteing vegetables is also a great way to cook them. Almost anything you can think of cooking on a stovetop, you can cook using a flat top grill.
A flat-top gas grill won’t work well on big chunks of meat. You will need to cut them into small pieces.
We hope that you found these reviews helpful in your search for the best flat top grill. If you’re looking to purchase a new one, this list should be able to help point out some of the grills worth considering.
We’ve compiled all of our research and experience with cooking on gas griddles into this guide so that anyone can make their own decision about which type is right for them.
It’s also important to note how each product works well with different types of food and what key features they have – such as heat control or removable plates.
When purchasing a flat top grill, the largest consideration is finding one that will work best for your needs and lifestyle!
Last update on 2021-12-02 at 03:50 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API