Installing a fire pit outside is an excellent way to get you and the entire family to spend more time outdoors together. It is also a beautiful addition to your outdoor space. Plus, you can use it for grilling and cooking as well as just enjoying the sight, the crackling sound, and the warmth of those flames.
A fire pit will provide you with a cozy, warm, and relaxing place to spend your free time.
Keep in mind that you should always handle fire with extra care in order to keep your family members, your home, and the surrounding safe from burns and from fires. You should choose a fire pit that is safety certified and is built in a way which allows for the fire to be contained safely inside the unit at all times.
Also, there are different types of fire pits, so make sure you scroll down to our features list to see what the differences are between wood and propane or natural gas burning fire pits.
The sizes, shapes, designs, and versatility of the fire pits are also very different, so you have to decide which type and size are most suitable for the space you have.
Of course, there is a difference in the materials used, the accessories sold with the fire pit and the price, so take the time to read through the brief overviews of our favorites for fire pits for 2021 to see all their pros and cons, and make your choice.
Here is our list of the top fire pits for 2021.
Are you on the market for the perfect fire pit table for your patio? This propane gas fire pit table from the Outland Living series is one of the best ones we have tested in 2021.
This espresso brown rectangular fire pit table is absolutely gorgeous and well made and will serve its purpose as a fire pit and a table perfectly.
- An amazingly stylish design which will make it the centerpiece of your outdoor space, and be a great conversation starter every time you invite guests over
- The dimensions of the rectangular fire table are 44(L) x 32(W) x 23(H) inches, its weight is 96 lbs.
- The table is covered with an espresso-colored UV high-density polyethylene resin wicker which is incredibly durable and completely weather resistant, plus it is beautiful
- The table top is made of tempered glass with a thickness of 8mm
- The sturdy base is made of powder-coated aluminum
- The table has a pre-attached 4 ft. hose with a regulator
- The fire pit table comes with 15.5 lbs. of Arctic ice decorative glass rocks
- The stainless steel burner is tested and certified in accordance with the highest safety standards for 35,000 BTU
- An easy to use spark ignition button will impress all of your friends
- There is a manual control valve to adjust the flame height
- The flames are 100% smoke-free, clean and safe from any harmful emissions
- Easy access to the propane tank storage (the 20 lbs. tank is standard but not included with the table) which is concealed in the base of the fire table
- 1-year limited warranty
- You can purchase a set of accessories for this astonishing table fire pit at a great price now
- The price is on the high-end, but then so is the quality of this fire pit table
This is probably the prettiest of the fire pits in our list. It is made of top quality, sturdy, weather-resistant materials, which will allow you to enjoy your fire pit table for years to come. It looks absolutely gorgeous, and you will quickly find that sitting around this fire table and enjoying spending most of your leisure time around it will become a daily habit.
It is comfortable to use, as you can easily place your glass, cup or dish on it while admiring the sparkling flames reflected on the glass rocks in the middle of it.
It may not be cheap, but for the brilliant quality, safety and durability it offers, you will definitely be making a very wise investment if you choose to buy one of these outdoor propane fire pit tables from Outland Living.
If you want a fire pit that will emit less smoke and thus keep your clothes and hair smelling all nice and fresh, then the Solo Stove Bonfire is one you should definitely consider buying.
- A unique minimalist design which will limit the fire combustion airflow to reduce the smoke from the fire
- Over 1.1 million of these were sold on Kickstarter
- Made of double-walled top-grade stainless steel
- Special air-intake vents on the bottom feed the fire and help keep the oxygen inside the pit
- Less smoke and less semi-burnt logs, as they will down to ash
- Uses fewer firewood logs as compared to an open campfire
- No more smelly clothes and hair after spending a fun night around the fire pit
- No setup is required
- Very easy to start a fire with no flipping or turning of the logs required
- Portable – with a height of 14 inches and a 5-inch diameter and weighs only 20 lbs. makes it great for camping or tailgating
- Very durable construction
- Comes with a carrying bag
- The non-removable bottom grid can make cleaning the bottom of the unit a bit tricky
This innovative fire pit is very easy to light up and burns down each and every log down to ashes, thanks to its special design. You can easily take it camping with you, as it is quite portable and comes with a travel carry bag.
It looks beautiful and its stainless steel construction will withstand a lot of wear and tear, which means that you will be using the Bonfire fire pit for quite a while.
You have a rather small patio but really want to enjoy spending time around a fire pit? This beautiful and sturdy Rogers propane fire pit is one of the top picks out there. Its stone clad design and compact footprint make it perfect for even the smallest decks and outdoor spaces.
- Classic natural stone clad design
- Comes in round and in square shapes to suit any taste
- 32-inch diameter and a height of 24 inches means that you can place and use this fire pit in the smallest outdoor areas
- Made of sturdy MGO, very durable construction
- 40,000 BTU propane-powered fire pit
- No assembly is required, just place the full propane tank inside and insert the included battery in the igniter to light up a beautiful fire
- The flame height is adjustable via the easy controls
- Has a convenient tabletop to place your glasses and mugs for an even cozier experience
- Added lava rock
- Doesn’t emit too much smoke
- Comes with a cover to keep it safe when not in use
- It doesn’t emit too much heat unless you sit pretty close to it
This fire pit is absolutely gorgeous. The design will fit any outdoor décor perfectly. The materials used are very sturdy, and give the fire pit a very luxurious look.
It requires no assembly, so you can start using it immediately after placing a propane tank and inserting the battery for the ignition of the flames.
You get to pick from the round and the square design, but whichever one you pick – you will be extremely happy with the quality and the looks of this propane fire pit.
Do you love spending those warm summer nights on your porch? With the Catalina Creations 29″ Cast Iron Fire Pit, your outdoor space will become even more inviting and cozy! It has a stunningly beautiful design which will become the centerpiece of your porch, especially when you light up the fire to show the amazing cutout designs on the cauldron.
- Made of very sturdy, cast iron, covered with a heat resistant, rustic bronze finish, which will last for years
- Comes with a removable mesh spark screen to keep you safe from embers (24 inches in diameter)
- The dimensions are 29.5 inches for the diameter and a height of 19.7 inches
- It weighs 45 lbs. so you can move it around depending on where you want to enjoy your outdoor leisure time
- The large and deep cast iron cauldron allows for enjoying a large impressive and yet safe fire outdoors
- The bowl sits on top of 4 sturdy cast iron feet for added stability of the fire pit
- Lovely star and moon cutouts will stand out and sparkle as soon as you light the fire as well as act as vents to keep the fire going
- Also included in the package are a screen lifting tool, a protective cover and a log grate to keep the logs from falling to the bottom
- Works with 12-16 inch short firewood
- Absolutely no assembly is required
- A drainage hole in the bottom allows for the water which you use to put the fire out to drain completely
- Doesn’t have a tabletop like some of the other fire pits
This cast iron fire pit is an excellent addition to any outdoor space. You can use it for quite large fires, and yet feel safe thanks to the deep and extra-large fire bowl. Also, you will receive a spark screen, a tool for lifting the screen, a grate and a useful cover for the fire pit for a very reasonable price.
Best of all, you can start using it immediately, as no assembly is required. Just light it up and enjoy those sparkling dancing moons and stars on the sides of this beautiful Catalina fire pit!
You and everybody else will be able to enjoy looking at the fire via the pretty side cutouts on the fire bowl. It is a small fire pit, which can fit into the tightest space. Best of all, you will not need to dig in deep into your wallet if you want to own one of these.
- A 23 ½ inch fire bowl with creative cutouts provides beautiful ambient light when the fire is lit
- Made of sturdy steel covered with a black finish for added durability and heat resistance
- The cutouts allow for a 360-degree viewing of the fire
- Comes with a spark screen as well as a poker with a hook for added safety and convenience
- The sturdy decorative legs will keep the fire bowl safe from accidental tipping
- An added handle ring allows you to move the fire pit around with ease, as the unit itself weighs only 22 lbs.
- Compact dimensions and small footprint – 28.5 x 25 x 24.2 inches
- Easy to assemble, comes with a detailed manual
- No cover for the fire pit is included in the package, so you may need to purchase one separately
The Savannah fire pit from Landmann is a reasonably priced and well-built small outdoor fire pit, which you can easily move around thanks to its light weight and convenient handle.
It is pretty easy to set up and will provide you and your family with a cozy outdoor experience thanks to the eye-catching cutouts on the side allowing you to view the flames from all sides.
It is highly recommended for those of you with limited open-air space, and if you are not ready to break the bank for a fire pit.
This Wildlife big sky fire pit is yet another reasonably priced fire pit suitable for any porch, deck, patio or other outdoor space. The Georgia clay finish and the gorgeous animal cutouts make this fire pit look absolutely delightful.
- Well-built with a pretty Georgia Clay-colored finish
- The animal cutouts will light up once you light the fire allowing you to enjoy the light and the heat from all sides of the fire pit
- Comes in several different designs, sizes, and colors
- The fire bowl has a 24-inch diameter and is 12.5 inches deep which means that the fire can be safely contained inside of it
- The fire pit comes with a poker, a spark screen, and a cooking grate
- Features a handle and safety ring
- Very lightweight (23 lbs.) means you can move it, store it and travel with it easily
- Pretty easy assembly
- Doesn’t have a rain cover
This is a great fire pit for anybody who wants a pretty and yet affordable one for their outdoors. It is easy to put together and comes with a full set of accessories which will make it safe and easy to use.
You will be able to enjoy your beautiful fire from all sides, thanks to the cute animal cutouts on the side walls of the fire bowl. The Georgia Clay finish adds to the pretty design which will definitely attract a lot of attention of any guests to your house.
If you need a fire pit for outdoor cooking, then we can highly recommend this steel fire ring fire pit. It is pretty simple design-wise but is extremely functional when it comes to lighting and putting out of the fire, as well as for cooking and cleaning up afterward.
- Comes in 3 different sizes of the diameter of the ring – 24, 32 and 36 inches to suit just about anybody’s needs
- Made of heavy-duty thick rolled steel treated with heat resistant paint for added durability
- Added 15.5 x 5-inch cooking grate for cooking delicious food outdoors. It can be attached permanently or left off to be removed easily
- The cooking grate can swivel to 180 degrees for easy access to the grilled food
- Has anchor pins which are ½ inch thick and will allow for easy tilting back of the fire ring for cleaning as well as prevent theft
- You can use this ring as a fire bowl for your own DIY outdoor fire pit
- 5 added drain holes will keep the fire ventilate, and the ring from rusting
- Doesn’t come with any instructions
You can use this sturdy fire ring for campfires, as well as install it in your own DIY fire pit outdoors. It is made of durable steel and has a very nifty cooking grill which can be attached permanently or not, and which will enable you to grill and cook food outdoors easily and safely.
You will be happy with the quality of this fire pit, which is definitely worth the prices asked for it!
It is made of heavy-duty 100% solid copper and will not only bring extraordinary beauty and style to your deck or patio but will last for many years too!
- Very beautiful contemporary design
- The fire bowl is made of 100% solid copper and has a diameter of 40 inches, and a depth of 8 inches and a height of 14 inches – this will ensure that you will be using it for ages as copper doesn’t rust
- The grate is made of ¼ inches thick steel which can safely hold logs up to 2 ft. of length, plus it provides sufficient ventilation which ensures that all logs are burnt down to ashes
- The base is powder-coated to prevent corrosion and withstand harsh weather conditions
- It weighs 66 lbs. so it will remain stable and in place no matter what
- More expensive than most of the other fire pits, and any other accessories need to be purchased separately (a cover, pokers, and others)
If you decide to spend your hard-earned money on this heavy-duty copper and steel fire burner, you can rest assured that your money is very well spent. This is an incredibly good-looking, sturdy and rust-proof fire pit which will serve you well for decades.
Its large fire bowl is made entirely of copper, which means you don’t need to worry about it getting damaged from the weather and from use.
This is, without doubt, one of the greatest fire pits offered on the market and is worth every cent you pay for it.
Related: Top 7 Smokeless Fire Pits in 2021
If you are dreaming of a fire pit which will not only be a joy to the eyes but will actually keep you comfy and warm, this Landmann Fire Dance Bear and Paw fire pit could be one of the right ones for you. It is sturdy, beautiful, comes with all necessary accessories and is sold at a very reasonable price.
- Very attractive design thanks to the mesh-covered cutouts with cute bears and bear paws on the side which will light up as soon as you start the fire
- The cutouts are not only beautiful, but act as vents which let the oxygen in to keep the fire going, and the heat out to keep you nice and warm while enjoying the fire
- It is available with other cutout designs, so you can pick the one which will suit your taste
- A 30-inch diameter fire bowl is sufficient for making a large fire
- Made of sturdy steel covered with a brown heat resistant finish
- It weighs a mere 33 lbs. and comes with a safety ring for easy portability
- Also, you will receive a 37-inch poker, a large spark screen, a hook for lifting it and a cooking grate
- You will be able to admire the fire from 360 degrees
- The 4 decorative legs provide stability and support
- There is very little and pretty straightforward assembly required, and after that just pour some sand inside and add the firewood on top to get the fire going
- Doesn’t have a draining hole on the bottom to get the water out after using it to put the fire out
This Firedance fire pit is an affordable, beautiful and safe outdoor fire pit, which will inspire you to spend more time outdoors. It has very attractive side cutouts which will not only light up once the fire has been lit, but will help you stay warm around the fire pit.
You get a full set of accessories with this sturdy fire pit, including a safe and beautiful spark screen, a poker, and a cooking grate.
You will love every minute you spend near this beautiful, safe and durable fire pit.
If you prefer a propane fire pit rather than have to clean up ashes and coal, you should definitely check out this amazing Outland Firebowl propane gas fire pit. You can say goodbye to the smoke and the smell on your clothes after spending hours around the fire pit with this great quality product.
- 58,000 BTU propane fire pit with a 10 ft. hose, a regulator, a propane tank stabilizer ring, as well as a decorative rock set
- The fire bowl has a 24-inch diameter and is CSA approved for safety
- The burner and fasteners are made of stainless steel, and there is a chrome knob with a rubber grip for safe and comfortable use
- The enamel finish and protective coating of the fire pit allows for extra sturdiness
- Uses a standard 5-gallon propane gas tank (it is not included with the fire pit)
- Dimensions are 25 x 25 x 13 inches, weight is 34 lbs.
- The fire pit is sold with a durable weather-resistant cover
- Burns smokeless and clean fire
- Aside from the cover, it doesn’t come with a lid
If you prefer a propane gas fire pit due to its ease of use, cleaning and the smokeless and safe fire, then you should definitely consider buying an Outland Firebowl 883 propane fire pit. It is beautiful, made of top-quality materials, and is very easy to set up and use.
You will be able to enjoy a fire on your porch or patio without getting your hair and clothes all smelly of smoke.
It is one of the leading propane gas fire pits on the market right now!
A brief history of fire pits
Whether it is a simple pit or a fancy brick, metal or stone complex fire pit design, the fire pit is used to keep a fire burning and under control, so that it can be used for warmth, cooking, protection, light, signaling or simply for a cozy comforting feeling.
Since ancient times, more than 700,000 years ago, when man first discovered fire, and later on the invention of the fire pit 200,000-400,000 years ago, it became a key factor for the survival and the evolution of the human race. Through the years, the fire pit has been used for various reasons.
Ever since it was “discovered”, people have been striving to improve and master the control and use of fire through experimenting and developing new fire pit ideas.
Archaeological evidence of what is considered the earliest fire pit found in a South African cave shows that it was made with stones and had a hearth from built-up ashes.
Other archaeological findings have found diverse types of ancient fire pit ideas, such as the Peruvian in-ground pits and the Native American above-ground ones surrounded with circles of stones.
The variety of fire pits among different cultures is amazing. Even though in the modern contemporary world, rarely is the fire pit an essential necessity for survival, there are still numerous cultures where it is the central factor for survival, such as with nomads, certain tribes, and others.
There are different modern fire pit ideas which you should consider before picking the perfect one for your backyard, camping needs or even for your porch and patio.
The most important factor is to ensure that the fire pit makes it possible to make a safe and controlled fire, in order to stop the fire from unwanted spreading, and also the possibly harmful smoke to cause health problems and hazards to those nearby.
What are the features to look for when buying your fire pit
There are so many types of fire pits and fire pit kits available on the market, that an inexperienced shopper can easily be overwhelmed.
But keep in mind that there are several features which are vital when it comes to fire pits and choosing the right one for you.
Before you go ahead and buy a fire pit, make sure you check your local and national guidelines and environmental laws for owning and using a fire pit safely.
Once you have made sure that you are permitted to use a fire pit, and have established the type you want, you can go ahead and look at the features worth noting.
Here is what to look for when buying a fire pit
- The style
Our list of the top fire pits for 2021 includes a wide variety of styles. There are simple steel ring based fire pits, portable fire bowls, decorated ones, as well as more versatile units which can be used as tables as well. The shapes differ too. Fire pits can be round, square, rectangular and others. So pick your preferred style, and start from there.
- Check the wood-burning laws
If your porch is covered, or your yard has low branches, or you live in a windy area, then a wood-burning fire pit is out of the question. Make sure that you check the regulations for using a fire pit at your homeowner’s association, as well as any city or county restrictions before proceeding to buy a wood-burning fire pit. You may have a fine imposed if you don’t follow the regulations.
Plus, keep in mind that there are dangers associated with inhaling dangerous quantities of smoke from a wood-burning fire pit. Also, wood burning does cause air pollution.
- Choose your fuel
If you love the smell of smoke and want a natural crackling fire, opt for a wood-burning fire pit. The propane and natural gas fire pits don’t emit smelly or harmful smoke and can be used on porches with overhead covers and roofs. They don’t require cleaning of ashes, wood, and debris.
- The materials used for the making of the fire pit
Choose a fire pit which is made of durable, weather and heat resistant material. A cast iron fire bowl is a sturdy but heavy option. Cast aluminum is less likely to become rusty, while copper can get stained even though it won’t rust over time.
- The accessories included
Some fire pits are sold with spark screens, cooking grills, spark screens, lava or glass stones, covers and other accessories. It makes sense to look for one which has as many accessories as possible if you are looking for the best deal for a fire pit.
- The price
As you can see from the fire pits from our list, the price can be as low as under $100 and can reach up to hundreds and even thousands of dollars. Make sure that you set your budget beforehand and stick to it when buying a fire pit.
Higher-end fire pits may be more expensive, but they are made of higher quality and will last longer. Simpler fire pits will not cost much, so if you are looking for a cheaper option choose one of our budget-friendly picks.
- Permanent or Portable
All of the models we have picked in our fire pit list are portable, but you can choose a permanent fire pit, which can be custom built in your backyard. This, of course, is a more expensive variant, and won’t allow you to move the fire pit whenever you need it somewhere else.
- Choose the location
Once again, make sure you check the local rules for the placement of fire pits and for the use of recreational fires before ordering a fire pit or you may end up being fined. Of course, fire pits are made for outdoor use for your safety. Be careful when placing a fire pit on a wooden patio or very need for your house or another structure.
Make sure that you buy a tested and safe fire pit. Also, take all precautions to keep the fire contained in the pit, and to keep children away from the fire when unattended.
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read our recommendations for fire pits.
Hopefully, we have helped you pick the perfect fire pit for you or for a gift. All of our top choices have been hand-picked after serious research and testing, so whichever one you select will be a good choice.
Remember to stay safe when enjoying your fire pit, whichever one you pick!
Good luck with your fire pit and enjoy those beautiful starry nights around the fire with your loved ones!
Last update on 2021-05-09 at 15:33 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API