With the winter already hitting hard on many states and other countries, you may be looking for the best way to cope with the Arctic blizzard and the heavy snowfall.
A good electric snow blower will allow you to get those sidewalks and driveway clean in a matter of minutes.
Electric snow blowers may not be as powerful as the gas counterparts, but they are eco-friendly, quiet, convenient and relatively inexpensive devices that will help you clean up your property from light to medium snowfall.
Our top pick for 2020 is the Snow Joe Ultra SJ621, but we have tested and reviewed a bunch of other snow blowers and have picked the best 10 electric snow blowers for 2020 for you.
The Snow Joe Ultra SJ621 is a powerful electric blower which can tackle mid-sized to large snowy areas, and has the power and capacity to even remove frozen snowbanks, which snowplows often leave behind on your sidewalks.
This powerful blower has a 13.5 amp motor and a fast-moving 4-bladed auger. It has the capacity to plow and draw in about 650 lbs. of snow per minute, and throw it at a distance of 20ft.
This means that you can clear out an area of 2,450 square feet for an hour with this brilliant electric-powered snowblower.
The clearing width of the SJ621 is 18 inches, and the depth it will reach is 10 inches. Overall, the machine is lightweight and easy to carry, maneuver and handle, with a weight of just 32.9 lbs.
It has a 180-degree rotating chute, so you can choose exactly where you want the cleared out snow to end up. The chute also has a nifty deflector, so that you can have control of how high the snow is thrown too.
The Snow Joe Ultra SJ621 is suitable for clearing driveways, decks, sidewalks, and stairs, although you may need an extension cord to reach the sidewalks.
The blower is fitted with a useful 20 Watt halogen light, so you can go out to deal with the snow even before sunrise and after sunset.
The electric snow blower from Snow Joe is very sturdily built, with a heavy grade steel 4 blade rotor and is sold with a full 2-year warranty. It requires little maintenance, unlike gas-powered snowblowers that need gas, oil, and tune-ups.
So, if you want a reasonably priced, light and yet powerful electric snow blower which you can easily maneuver, control the snow throwing height and angle, and which you can use in the dark – the Snow Joe Ultra SJ621 is our top recommendation for 2020.
The runner-up in our list is yet another snow thrower from Snow Joe. The Ultra SJ623E has an even more powerful motor than our top choice. With the 15 amp motor, you can effortlessly move as much as 720 lbs. of snow per minute.
This snow blower also has a durable heavy grade steel 4-blade rotor which will cut in 10 inches deep and 18 inches wide in the snow with each pass.
Thanks to its easy-glide wheels you can maneuver and turn the direction of the electric snow thrower very easily. The scraper blade fitted on its base will efficiently and safely scrape the snow from the ground without damaging the ground or surface of your deck, driveway or pavement.
The throwing chute is adjustable to 180 degrees, so you can always choose the direction where you want the snow to end up. The SJ623E can throw snow at up to 25 ft. away. You will also get an onboard cleaning tool, which you can use to clean up the chute if it gets jammed with snow.
The machine is started instantly with a push of a button and requires no special maintenance or expensive fuel and oil to operate seamlessly.
This electric snow blowing machine is perfect for clearing snow from large or mid-sized driveways or sidewalks.
The blower is ETL approved and is sold with a full 2-year warranty. It too has a useful light that will allow you to clean up your driveways or sidewalks even when it is dark outside.
This is most definitely one of the most powerful and sturdy electric snow blowers which we have tested this year, and is definitely worth every cent you will pay for it!
Best budget-friendly option
The WEN 5662 Snow Blaster is the best budget-friendly electric snow blower which we tested in 2020.
Available at an amazingly low price, this snow blowing machine can clear snow which is 7.8 inches deeps and 18 inches wide with each pass. Thanks to the 13.5 amp motor which spins the auger at 2,000 rpm, the blower can clear out up to 490 lbs. of snow per minute.
It throws the snow at up to 20 ft. away. The chute can be rotated up to 180 degrees, so you will always be in control of the direction of the snow being thrown.
It is a perfect alternative to a standard snow shovel, which will allow you to remove the snow from your deck, driveway or sidewalks quickly and effortlessly. The blower can easily handle light to medium snowfalls.
The WEN 5662 is lightweight (39 lbs.) and has 6-inch wheels and an onboard carrying handle which makes it very portable and maneuverable. Its foldable body makes it very convenient and easy to store.
It has a nifty cable extension holder so that you can reach the end of the driveway and the sidewalk without hassle.
It is a very affordable electric-powered snow blowing machine which is sold with a 2-year warranty.
With this reasonably priced snow moving machine from WEN, you can forget about the old rusty shovel and the sore muscles and sweat of having to clear up the snow in those cold winter mornings or evenings!
The rest of the best electric snow blowers for 2020
Are you shopping for a lightweight, compact and yet powerful electric snow thrower? The Greenworks 20 inch 2600502 could be the best choice for you this year.
- 13 amp electric powered motor with a plowing capacity of 850 lbs. of snow per minute
- Can throw snow at up to 20 ft. away
- A snow clearing width of 20 inches, and a depth of 10 inches
- The chute for throwing the snow can be adjusted at 180 degrees to keep the snow away safely and efficiently
- The chute has a deflector for adjusting the angle and height of the snow being thrown
- The machine weighs only 30 pounds
- It is fitted with 7-inch wheels for easier mobility and maneuverability
- The carry handle is comfortable and can be folded in for easy storage
- There is very little vibration in the handle during use, which means less fatigue and more comfort
- Works well in light and medium snowfalls
- Very affordably priced
- Sold with a 4-year warranty – twice as long than most of the others
Do you need an electric snow blower that is safe to use on your beautiful hardwood deck? The PowerSmart DB5023 is a powerful blower which though is gentle on the surface being cleared.
- A 13 amp motor
- Will cut snow up to 18 inches in width and 9 inches in depth per pass
- The steel auger has rubber tips which will keep your ground and the surface of your deck, patio, and stairs safe from damage
- It can through the snow away at up to 30 ft.
- Has a rotating chute to direct the snow to wherever you want up to 180 degrees
- Also has a chute deflector for the adjustment of the height of the snow being thrown
- The unit weighs only 37 lbs.
- Has a comfy handle with a foam coating for a better grip
- The chute handle and the carrying handle are both oversized so you can easily use them with your thick winter gloves on
- Excellent for dealing with light to moderate snowfall
- Sold with a 1-year warranty
Do you need a snow blowing machine that you can easily use pre-dawn or at night? The Snow Joe Ultra SJ625E will make this task very easy for you!
- The 15 amp motor can move up to 800 lbs. of snow per minute
- The auger is made of durable steel and has 2 rubber blades to keep the surface being cleaned and protected from damage
- Has a strong 3W LED light which will make snow cleaning in the dark a breeze
- The machine is easy to maneuver with its 8-inch tires that are 2.5 inches wide
- It weighs just a little over 35 lbs. so you won’t have a problem carrying it, moving it and storing it
- The blower can cut a 21 inch wide and 12-inch deep path in the snow
- The chute will throw the snow at a distance of up to 20 ft., and you can adjust the direction of the snow being blown at 180 degrees
- Superb for areas with light to medium snowfalls
- Very simple assembly
- The size of the unit is 40.6 x 23 x 42.5 inches, and it weighs 35.7 lbs.
- Sold with a 2-year warranty from Snow Joe
Do you need a compact snow blowing machine, which you can easily store and use for cleaning up your mid-sized driveway from the snow? The Snow Joe Ultra SJ620 is an excellent choice to invest in this year.
- The 13.5 amp motor can move away up to 650 lbs. of snow per minute, or 2450 sq. ft. per hour
- The durable steel 4-blade auger cuts at 18 inches in width and 10 inches in depth
- The machine can throw the snow at up to 20 ft.
- Thanks to the 180-degree adjustable snow discharge chute you can choose the exact direction and location where you want the snow moved
- Features easy glide 4.5 inch wheels for improved maneuverability
- Compact dimensions – 54.5 x 26 x 19 inches
- A cord lock will keep the cord plugged in during use
- Made of rust-resistant materials
- Sold with a 2-year warranty
With this reasonably priced snow blower, you can clean up large volumes of heavy snow from medium-sized walkways and driveways. It is easy and comfortable to use and will start up effortlessly no matter the temperatures outside.
- The 13 amp motor of the blower can move up to 550 lbs. of snow per minute – for quick and easy driveway and walkway cleaning
- The abrasion and cold-resistant 2 blade auger cuts at 8 inches in depth and 18 inches in width per pass
- The maximum snow throw distance is at 20 feet, and the cute is adjustable at 180 degrees so you can direct the snow to the preferred side as well as the preferred height
- The foldable handle offers an ergonomic grip
- There is a safety switch to keep you and others safe from unintentional powering up
- Thanks to the instant start, you can get to cleaning the snow in seconds
- The unit is corded and electric powered
- The dimensions of the machine are 39.8 x 19.5 x 38.6 inches, and it weighs 25.9 lbs.
- It is sold with a 2-year warranty
With the Snow Joe iON100V-21SB, you don’t have to worry about cables protruding through the snow and getting in your way. It is a very powerful cordless snow blower that can move up to 16 tons of snow per charge.
- The high-performance variable speed 2800 Watt brushless motor helps decrease the noise and vibration, maximizes battery life and extends the life of the motor itself
- The machine has two 2.5W LED headlights, so you can clean the snow pre-dawn or in the evening safely and efficiently
- The unit has a two-blade auger with assisted drive that will do much of the work for you and will propel it forward in the snow as you go
- At a minimum speed of the auger, the unit will move up to 12.5 tons per charge, and at maximum speed – 16 tons
- The snow blower can move 21 (W) x 12 (D) inches of snow per pass
- It has a built-in scraper on the bottom which protects the surface you are cleaning from damage
- This kit includes the tool as we as a powerful 100 Volt 5.0 Ah battery and a quick charger
- The battery can run up to 30 minutes per charge
- The handle is collapsible for easy storage and transport
- The size of the machine is 29.8 x 21.8 x 37.4 inches, and it weighs 62 lbs., without the battery
- Sold with a 2-year warranty
- There is no cord to get in the way, and yet the unit is as powerful as the corded and gas-powered snow blowers
- It works with two long-lasting and powerful batteries
- The motor is brushless and highly efficient
- The adjustable chute can be moved up to 180 degrees
- The snow blower can throw the snow at up to 35 feet
- The cleaning width per pass is 21 inches
- The construction is heavy-duty, weather-resistant, and allows for use even in the harshest winter conditions
- The handle is foldable for easier storage
- Its size is 39 x 24 x 20 inches and it weighs 51 lbs. without the batteries
- It has two bright LED headlights making it easier and safer to clean the snow when it is dark
- The unit works much more silently than any gas-powered snow blower
Why do you need an electric snow blower?
A good electric snow throwing machine should be able to help you clean up and move all of the snow from your property so that you can get your car out, walk in and out and also be in compliance with your state and county laws for keeping the sidewalks clean very quickly and efficiently.
You won’t end up with a sore back and arms once you are done cleaning with a machine like this.
The advantages of electric snow blowing machines
So, if you are wondering why you should buy an electric-powered snow moving machine instead of a gas-powered one, here are the main advantages:
- The electric snow blowers are much lighter and quieter than gas snow blowers
- They are less expensive than the ones powered by gas
- You don’t need to spend money on fuel and oil, and for maintenance, as you would if you have a gas snow thrower
- They are eco-friendly with no harmful emissions
- They are powerful enough for most domestic users and for places where there are no seriously heavy snowfalls
- The electric-powered snow blowers are easy to carry and store when you are not using them, plus you don’t need to empty the tank or anything special for their proper storage
- These machines start with a push of the button, rather than pulling cords
Features to look for when shopping for an electric powered snow blowing machine
Although they may seem very similar, the different electric snow blowing machines in our list are quite different, so make sure you read our brief reviews and look for the best one for your needs. Here are the main features to keep in mind when you are choosing the best electric powered snow moving machine.
The quantity and type of snow you will be dealing with
Keep in mind that electric snow blowing machines are suitable for smaller properties with light to medium snowfall. If you are going to use the machine for cleaning your wooden deck, then make sure that it has protective rubber-tipped augers, so that you keep your hardwood floor safe from damage.
If you get a snowfall of a few inches to a few feet, you will need a machine that has a more powerful motor, especially if the snow is packed and wet. The powerful electric snow blowers from our list are capable of chowing down all kinds of light to medium snow and clear it out efficiently and quickly.
If you only get light dust in the winter season, then it is more reasonable to get a lighter cleaning tool, such as a handheld snow blower for your needs.
Single-stage or two-stage?
All of the snow blowers on our list are single-stage, which means that they use a single auger to pick up the snow and push it out into the air through the chute.
Two-stage snow blowers have an auger that picks up the snow, and also an impeller which pushes it through the chute.
Single-stage snow blowing machines are much cheaper, uncomplicated and lighter than double stage ones.
On the other hand, double stage snow cleaning machines are more powerful and can throw the snow further away, and they can be used on dirt or gravel surfaces without the risk of gravel or other particles being thrown out with the snow.
The motor power
This is definitely the most important factor to keep in mind when shopping for an electric snowblower. The power of the motor is listed in amps, and the range among our favorite picks for 2020 is from 13 to 15 amps.
The more powerful the motor, the faster the machine will clean up the snow and blow it further away. We have chosen snow blowers which can clean up to 800 lbs. of snow per minute.
The clearing width and depth
This is the width and depth which the machine will clean per one pass. Some of our top choices for the best snow blowers for 2020 can capture up to 21 inches in width and up to 13 inches of snow in depth per one pass of the machine.
So, make sure you pick a machine that will be most time saving and efficient for the area you will be clearing and for the snow volumes which you usually get in the winter season.
Overall, electric snow blowers are lightweight snow clearing machines, especially when compared to gas-powered ones. The corded electric snow throwers are lighter than the ones which are powered by batteries in most cases.
Make sure you get a snowblower that you can carry, maneuver and store easily, but that it is heavy enough to plow into the snow.
Again, the larger deck height and width is – the more snow you can cut through and move in a single pass. But ensure that you get a snow moving machine which will fit in your allotted storage space, and which you can easily maneuver in the area you need to clean from the snow. There are very compact snow blowers on our list which you can easily carry and store without any effort.
You should look for a snow blower that has a chute that can be turned in different directions and which can be adjusted by angle and height. This is essential if you want to make sure that you get the snow moved to where you want it to, instead of just being thrown randomly.
For peace of mind, go for a snow blower which is sold with a longer warranty. The ones we have picked for you come with warranties ranging from 1 up to 4 years, with the most commonly offered warranty being 2 years.
Safety tips for using electric snow blowers
Being power tools, electric snow blowers need to be handled safely. Here are some basic tips to follow when moving snow with an electrically powered snow blower:
- Wear gloves, sturdy boots, and hearing protection
- Avoid wearing long scarfs or loose clothing which can get caught on by the auger
- Be aware of people, pets, and windows when using a snow blower, as it can pick up gravel or other items and throw them
- Keep the power cord away from the snow blower’s path
- Unplug the blower before attempting to clear a blockage, and never use your hands for cleaning out jammed snow from the chute or auger
- Regularly inspect your power cord for damage, and replace it in case you notice a problem
Buying an electric snow blower will save you so much time, effort and energy that you will be extremely happy with your purchase from the first minute of starting to use it to clean out the snow from your premises.
You can say goodbye to the back pain, the sore arms and hands and the long and tedious hours of manually cleaning the snow from your sidewalks, driveway, stairs, patio or deck with one of these easy to use inexpensive and highly efficient snow cleaning tools.
So, why not present yourself with the best gift for this upcoming winter season, and rest assured that cleaning the snow will become one of the easiest, fastest and painless tasks you will have to do all winter.
Good luck with your purchase, and enjoy the ease and satisfaction of getting all of the snow out of the way in a matter of minutes with one of these splendid electric-powered snow cleaning machines!
Last update on 2020-03-30 at 10:45 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API