Are you always cold no matter how high the heat is up in the winter? A cozy and soft electric blanket will help keep you nice and snuggly warm in the upcoming cold months.
Also, a good quality electric blanket will help improve your blood circulation and relax the muscles. This is great if you suffer from muscle pain, tension or fatigue. If you are worried that your partner won’t be too happy with the amount of heat emitted by the blanket, throw or pad, don’t. The best models have dual controls which will allow each of you to choose their own heating temperature for your side of the bed.
We have tried out a number of electric blankets and mattress pads, in order to come up with our ultimate top 10 list of the best electric blankets for 2018.
We have picked a wide variety of electric heated blankets, throws and mattress pads for you so that you can get ready for those chilly winter nights on time.
Go ahead and read all about our top picks, and get ready to feel cozy and warm whenever you get the chills with one of these amazing products!
It comes in King and California King sizes and will make your cold winter nights comfortable, relaxing and warm.
You can turn the thermostat in your bedroom down and still feel perfectly comfortable without the need for covering yourself with a lot of heavy blankets and comforters.
This excellent quality heated mattress pad comes with an easy to set LCD backlit digital control unit which has a dual controller with 10 different personalized heating settings per side, a preheat feature and a useful and safe auto-off function. You and your spouse can choose exactly how warm each side of the bed will be so that you both are comfortable and happy.
The pad itself is made of all natural 100% soft cotton and will fit every King or California King sized mattress which is up to 21 inches deep. It is a very durable mattress pad with a thread count of 250, so you don’t need to worry about it tearing or wearing out for years to come. Plus, it is sold with a 5-year warranty, so you can sleep soundly knowing that your money is well spent.
Needless to say, with this efficient heated mattress pad, you will save a lot of money from your heating bills too. In fact, you can reduce the energy costs by a whopping 10% thanks to this ingenious electric heated quilted mattress pad by lowering your thermostat by 10% before going to bed!
You don’t have to worry about your safety either, because all of Sunbeam’s products are rigorously tested for safe operation and comply with all US and international safety standards.
As for the washing, there is no hassle with this mattress pad, as it can safely be washed in a washing machine and is also dryer safe.
Imagine going to bed in a toasty warm bed even when the temperatures are low? With the pre-heat option, you can ensure that your bed is nice and warm, and avoid having to shudder in those cold sheets when you go to bed!
Get all the warmth you need with this safe, soft and beautiful electric mattress pad now!
We picked this affordable and highly efficient electric heated blanket from Biddeford as our runner-up, because we are amazed at its features, quality and the overall value provided for the reasonable price asked.
This knit electric heated blanket is available in Twin, Full, Queen and King sizes, and in a variety of pretty colors including cloud blue, sage, natural and fawn.
It is made of 100% lightweight polyester and can be machine washed safely.
The blanket comes with one (Twin and Full sizes) or two (Queen or King sizes) control units with 10 personalized settings per unit. Their cords are long enough to keep the controls on your bedsides without having cables lying around in your bed.
You will receive a zippered carry bag with it, which is perfect for storing the blanket or taking it with you when traveling.
This soft Biddeford electric heated blanket provides therapeutic warmth and is perfect to wrap around your waist or another painful part for some immediate relief and comfort.
You will get a 5-year warranty when you buy it, so you don’t have to worry about anything going wrong with it in the upcoming years.
The blanket is not slippery, so you don’t have to deal with it sliding off the bed and leaving you in the cold while you are sleeping. It is safe to use and provides sufficient warmth evenly and quickly.
We strongly recommend this reasonably priced, top quality electric blanket to anybody who wants that extra warmth in the chilly days and nights.
Best budget choice
If you want to buy an electric snuggle wrap for the winter evenings you spend on your couch but don’t want to spend too much on one of the high-end models, you should definitely try out the Comfort Spaces wrap blanket.
It is a comfortable 50 x 44-inch plush snuggle wrap which has a 36-inch opening so you can put it on or take it off without any hassle.
It is very easy to clean and dry, as it is machine-washable and dryer-safe.
The electrically heated wrap has a control which is very intuitive and easy to use, and you can choose from three temperature heating levels. Plus, the remote control has a dimming function so you can easily adjust the settings without getting up to turn on the lights.
The comfortable plush wrap is available in beautiful burgundy and grey colors, so you can buy one for you and one for your partner and have nice and cozy Him and Her snuggle wraps for the cold winter days and nights.
It is tested and safe and has a nifty auto shut off function.
All of this is available at a budget-friendly price and with a 30-day free return guarantee. It is perfect for a gift for a loved one and will surely be appreciated!
Our other top picks for 2018
If you are wary about lounging or sleeping with an electric heated blanket for safety reasons, you should definitely opt for this low voltage and perfectly safe luxury fleece electric blanket from SoftHeat.
- The patented low voltage heating technology will keep you safe and will use up the power needed for lighting up a single light bulb, so you will save energy too
- It comes in 4 different size options – Full, Twin, Queen and King
- The color options include chocolate, grey, slate blue and natural
- Provides even heat distribution thanks to the network of micro thin, light and flexible wires spread throughout the blanket at a 3-inch distance
- Made of top quality microfleece which is ultra-soft and light
- Patented low voltage technology is used for safe usage even in moist environments and with pets
- An auto shut off function will turn the heat off after 10 hours
- The control has a large and easy to view backlit display with an auto-dimming feature
- The King and Queen sizes come with dual zone temperature control so that both you and your partner can choose the temperature level you prefer
- It can be machine washed and dried safely
- A pre-heat feature allows you to turn it on and let it get warm for bedtime
- It is sold at a reasonable price and comes with a 5-year warranty
- Sold in King, Queen, Twin, and Full sizes
- Comes in a variety of attractive colors including grey, blue, mushroom, beige, walnut, and garnet
- Can help you save up to 10% of your energy bills when you turn it on and your thermostat down while sleeping
- Useful and easy to use heating control units with large LED displays (the King size comes with 2 for double zone heat control) with dimmers, so that you don’t have to turn the lights on and are not disturbed when sleeping
- A choice of 10 different heat settings
- A safe and economical 10 hour shut off function
- Made of top quality, ultra-soft channeled micro plush from 100% polyester
- The ThermoFine trademark technology allows for consistent heat control with an auto-adjust setting
- A useful pre-heat setting to get your bed nice and warm before you go to bed
- It can be machine washed and dried safely
- Stylish design with hemmed edges which will add beauty to your bedroom or home
- 5-year warranty from Sunbeam
- Operated via a ComfortTec controller with a large dimmable digital display and simple push buttons
- Comes with a pre-heat feature to ensure your bed is nice and warm by the time you go to bed
- 10 different heating settings to choose from
- The heating will shut off automatically after 10 hours in case you forget it on
- Has sensors which will adjust the temperature levels in accordance with your preferences
- Made of 100% polyester, soft and comfortable micro plush
- Comes in various sizes and colors
- The larger King and Queen sizes have two controllers, so both partners can adjust their sides of the bed individually
- Provides even heating with no hot or cold spots for added comfort and coziness
- Can help reduce the bills and save energy
- Sold with a 5-year warranty
- Very beautiful design, available in a variety of colors including pinebough, cocoa, English blue, lilac, khaki, sage, sand, romance rose and grey
- Available in Full, Twin, Queen, King and California King sizes
- Made of 100% lightweight and durable polyester
- Soft and comfortable Thermee micro flannel on both sides will ensure an even cozier and warmer experience
- Features 7 innovative layers of micro flannel which is quilted and which provide ultimate comfort
- The blanket will not shrink or pill and is safe for machine washing and drying
- The soft wire heating technology provides even heating and comfort without any cold or hot spots
- 8 heat setting options
- An auto shut off function will turn the heater off after 10 hours of operation for added safety and energy saving
- Long 16 ft. electrical cords for the control units won’t get in your way while you are resting or sleeping
- Safe and ETL certified
- 5-year warranty
- A quilted fleece blanket made of 100% polyester and featuring a comfortable and pretty channel design
- The ThermoFine technology ensures that the temperature level remains consistent at all times
- An EasySet pro controller allows you to choose one of the 10 heat settings – the larger King and Queen sizes have two controllers so that both sides can adjust the temperature levels separately
- An auto shutoff will turn the heat off after 10 hours for your peace of mind
- Machine washable and dryer safe, so you can keep it clean and sanitary easily
- A very durable blanket which you can use for years to come
- Comes in various sizes
- A pre-heat setting is perfect to make sure you snuggle into a toasty warm bed even in the coldest of nights
- Sold with Sunbeam’s 5-year limited warranty
- Comes in several amazing color options – claret, chocolate, grey, cloud blue, linen, and sage
- Available in all standard bed sizes – Twin, Full, Queen and King
- Made of luxurious soft micro plush on the top and Sherpa on the bottom
- Controlled via simple analog control units with 10 heating settings – the Queen and King sizes are sold with two controllers for dual zone heat setting
- An auto-off feature will switch the heating off after 10 hours of use
- Machine washable
- Comes in a carry bag which is perfect for storing the blanket when not using it
- Safety certified
- A warranty for 5 years
- Available in all standard sizes (Queen, King, Full and Twin)
- You get to choose from a number of colors including natural, lake, sage and mink which will fit in well with any décor
- Made of 100% polyester microfleece
- You can wash it in the washing machine safely
- The smaller blankets come with one control and the larger ones with two for dual zone heat control
- You can choose from 20 heat settings
- Evenly distributed flexible and soft wires provide even and comfortable heating
- A 10-hour auto shutoff
How do electric blankets actually heat up?
Electric blankets, mattress pads or throws have thin, soft and light heating wires sewn safely into the fabric. The heat level is controlled via one or two controls. The more evenly the wires are located – the more even the heating will be – we have picked electric heating blankets, throws and mattress pads with flexible, light and soft wiring, and with even heating. Most good quality blankets have sensors which help auto adjust the temperature levels and keep them at a constant level.
Benefits of using an electric blanket
Apart from the obvious benefit, that a heated blanket will keep you warm, you will also be able to turn down the thermostat in your home and save energy and money if you choose to sleep with an electric heated blanket. You will also be helping the environment by lowering your energy consumption for heating.
Also, these blankets or wraps are perfect solutions for comforting muscle tension and pain, as well as for improving the blood circulation in your body.
You can also use the pre-heat function which most of these blankets have so that you get your bed all warmed up and cozy for bedtime, which is a definite plus if you sleep in a colder room.
We have picked the top best electric heated blankets which are safe, efficient and reliable, and which can easily be controlled and adjusted in accordance with your preferences for the amount of heat produced and maintained.
How much electricity do electric blankets use?
The cost of running your electric blanket largely depends on how much you use it. We have picked some models which use low voltage and are energy saving for those of you who want to keep the running costs to a minimum.
On average, your electric blanket will consume about 0.35kWh per 8 hours of sleep which amounts to about 4 cents, if you run your blanket at a medium heat level of 5 or lower. The energy cost will increase to about 8 cents if you prefer keeping the blanket on the highest heating level all night.
In general, electric mattress pads are more energy efficient than the heated blankets or wraps are the heat produced stays trapped between the sheet and the top blanket. This means that the cost for running an electric mattress pad like our top pick will cost you a mere 2 to 3 cents per night if you choose a lower temperature setting of around 3.
On the other hand, an electric blanket or mattress pad can significantly lower your heating bills if you turn down the thermostat when you are using them.
How safe are electric blankets?
Today, manufacturers produce much safer electric blankets and bedding than those made a few decades ago. Most reputable manufacturers test and certify their products for safety.
Still, make sure you always read the safety instructions provided with your electric blanket or mattress pad.
Plus, in order to ensure that your blanket works safely, always use it in the way it has been designed for – mattress pads are for underneath, and blankets and throws are for use on top or around you.
All of our top picks have an auto shut off function so that even if you forget the blanket on, the heat will be switched off after 10 hours of use.
If you or your pet or child is incontinent and there is a possibility of “accidents” happening in bed, then it is recommended that you buy a lower voltage electric heating blanket, for added safety.
Also, check with the manufacturer whether the electric bedding is suitable for foam mattresses if you sleep on one, as the heat emitted can interfere with the memory foam function.
How do you clean an electric blanket?
Make sure you read the manufacturer’s instructions regarding the cleaning, washing and drying recommendations and requirements. All of our top picks are machine washable and can be dried safely, but you should keep the temperature at a safe level, and remove all controls and cables for the controls first.
Never turn an electric blanket on when it is still damp, or you can cause damage to the wiring! Also, never attempt to iron your electric heated blanket.
How long will my electric blanket last?
This depends on the quality of the bedding and the materials used. We have picked only blankets which are made of top quality materials and which come with 5-year warranties. So, you should expect the blanket to last for at least 5 years along with the wiring and controls. If it lasts longer – good for you! But to stay safe, you need to replace your electric blanket at least once every 10 years. Also, stay away from buying second-hand electric bedding!
What are the fabric choices?
The best electric bedding is made of polyester, cotton or fleece. Polyester is the cheapest option and the most long-lasting one, but cotton is better for people with sensitive skin as it is natural and is breathable. Fleece is the top option if you want maximum coziness.
How do you store an electric blanket?
Never fold it up, as creasing it can damage the wiring. Instead, either keep it flat on the bed or roll it up for storage.
Electric blankets, mattress pads, and throws are perfect for those of you who like to stay warm and cozy while enjoying spending leisure time on the couch, as well as for those of you who want to crawl into a nice and warm bed at night even when the temperatures are low.
They are also great for energy saving and for environmental preservation.
Whichever one of our top picks you choose, you will be incredibly happy once you feel that soothing warmth, coziness, and comfort which each and every one of these electrically heated blankets provides.
Good luck with your purchase, and enjoy those warm, comfortable and cozy moments during the upcoming cold seasons!
Last update on 2019-02-22 at 18:23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API