If you are a dog owner, you know how important it is for your pup to have its nails trimmed regularly. But does your dog hate going to the groomers or the vet for those dreaded nail-clipping sessions? With good quality, safe pair of dog nail clippers, you can save your fur baby the stress of having to go through the ordeal of nail clipping performed by strangers and do it yourself in the comfort of your own home.
Well-trimmed nails are essential for the comfort, mobility as well as for the health of your dog. By keeping the nails properly trimmed, you will ensure that your dog is safe from injuries, pain, and discomfort.
But if you are new to dog nail trimming and are still hesitant to do it yourself, here are some tips which will help you learn how to find the best dog nail clippers, which will allow you to do the trimming yourself painlessly and safely.
How to choose the right type of dog nail clippers
The market is overflowing with various dog nail trimmers so choosing the best one could be a bit tricky, especially if you are new to this type of grooming.
Choosing the best type of dog nail clippers largely depends on the type and size of dog you have and also on its temperament. Also, you should take into consideration your own comfort and whether you are left-handed or right-handed.
There are four basic types of clippers for dogs: scissors, guillotines, pliers and grinders.
Let’s take a closer look at all of the categories so that you can choose which ones are the most suitable clippers for you and for your dog.
Scissor dog nail clippers
The scissor type is like normal scissors but has a notch on the blades to hold the dog nail firmly and safely during the clipping. It is designed to provide added force allowing for easier nail trimming.
These are recommended for small and medium-sized dogs. The scissor clippers provide an extra force that will allow you to properly and quickly cut the dog nails by holding the nail in the notch of the blades. These clippers are lightweight and inexpensive but are not suitable for large dogs. The Shiny Pet dog nail clippers in our list is a prime example of the scissor type dog nail clippers.
Plier dog nail clippers
The plier style clippers look like shears for pruning. They are among the most common type of dog nail clipper types. You cut the dog’s nail by squeezing the handles together. Their design allows you to view the nail and choose the right spot to make the cut easily. These shears are suitable for larger dogs. Our top pick – the Epica professional, as well as the Millers Forge and Safari clippers on our list are excellent examples of this type of clippers.
Guillotine dog nail clippers
The guillotine clippers have an insert where you stick the nail, and then you can cut its end by squeezing the handles. These are more suitable for medium-sized and small dogs. They are gentler and don’t require that much force. We have picked the Resco Original Deluxe for our top best clippers list which is a superb guillotine type trimmer for pet nails. Plus it has a replaceable blade, which means that your clippers can literally last forever.
Grinders for dog nails
Grinders, on the other hand, will grind the nails rather than clipping them. They are best suited for dogs that hate nail clipping. We have added several grinders in our list of the best dog clippers for 2020, including the Hertzko and B. Dog electric grinders. These are very suitable for large dogs with very thick nails, as well as for those pups which simply hate clippers and want nothing to do with nail clipping. Please note, that your pet will need some time and training to get used to the specific vibrations of these grinders. Also, grinding the nails takes more time than clipping them, so both you and your pet need to be patient with one of these devices if you want the nails to be properly trimmed.
To help you pick the best dog nail clippers we have spoken to a number of groomers and vets, as well as with dog owners, to compile a list of the best 10 dog nail clippers for 2020.
Read on to find out what to expect from each one, and why we recommend them.
Best dog nail clippers
These are sold in two sizes – medium-large and small-medium.
They are very easy to use and have very precise and sharp blades, which will make nail clipping quick, painless and stress-free both for the pet and for you. Plus, thanks to the sharpness, you won’t end up with having to deal with ragged nail edges which can cause discomfort to the pet and can hurt you or your furniture.
These shears come with a blade guard quick stop which is optional for use during the nail trimming process and is for protecting the quick of the nail from accidental cutting.
The top grade stainless steel blades will remain rust free and sharp for years. The design of the Epica clippers ensures that the spacing of the blades matches the toenails of the different-sized pups perfectly.
The clippers can be locked for safety reasons when not in use, so you don’t have to worry about you or somebody else accidentally cutting themselves.
They have comfortable rubber coated handles which ensure a secure grip. This is essential not only for your comfort but also to ensure that you don’t mistakenly cut the nail too short or accidentally nick your dog’s toes. Plus, you don’t need to squeeze these clippers really tightly or put too much effort when clipping the nails thanks to the ergonomic design of this great grooming tool.
These affordable and durable clippers will do wonders for pets which are not too fond of professional nail trimming. You can quickly complete the grooming procedure without stressing your fur baby too much and without panicking and trying to calm your dog down during the process.
Overall, the Epica Best nail clippers for pets are the perfect pair of shears for dog nail trimming, because they are sharp, precise, sturdy, comfortable and last but not least – are offered at a very affordable price!
We admit having serious deliberations when choosing the number one position between these Safari pet nail trimmers and our top pick – the Epica Best clippers.
The Safari dog nail clippers are even less expensive than our top choice. They are made of strong stainless steel, and the blade is extra-long and sharp. This will allow you to cut your dogs’ nails very quickly, which as owners of nervous or squirmy dogs know is essential.
The clippers have a quick stop to protect the quick of the nail from getting accidentally cut during the grooming process.
The handles are comfortably padded with soft rubber grips. They provide a very nice and steady grip which is crucial, especially if your dog is fidgety and doesn’t want to stand still during the nail cutting.
With the safari clippers, you will easily cut the tip of each nail in just one stroke, and you won’t need to file the edges after that thanks to the sharp and precise cut provided by these shears.
The Safari clippers are available in small-medium and large sizes, so you can choose the appropriate one for your dog. The smaller size can be used for cats too!
At this price, you will hardly find other dog nail clippers which are as effective, sturdy and reliable as the Safari clippers!
Best budget choice
After hunting high and low for the best budget choice for dog nail clippers for 2020, we stumbled upon the H&H pet clippers, and we must say – we were seriously impressed!
The price is absolutely unbeatable both for the large and the small size options of the H&H clippers. But this doesn’t mean that their quality needs to be underestimated.
These dog nail clippers are very reliable, easy to use, and will do what they are meant to do – clip your pet’s nails safely, quickly and without splinters or rugged edges.
The blades are short but sharp. The handles are covered with a slip-proof coating, so that you can hold the clippers comfortably and steadily during the trimming, in order to do the job as quickly as possible and without painful incidents.
The smaller clippers are suitable for both small dogs as well as for cats or other pets. The blades are from stainless steel and are hypoallergenic and sturdy.
The H&H clippers are sold with a full 100% satisfaction guarantee, so even if you are not happy with them, you can simply return them and get your money back.
Best of all, the manufacturer promises to donate 15% of each purchase to a non-profit animal rescue organization – Hope for Paws! So, not only you and your pet will be happy when you buy these efficient and durable budget friendly clippers, but the rescue dogs from Hope for Paws will be happy too!
Here are the rest of the top best dog nail clippers for 2020 we picked for you
If you are a newbie, you will surely appreciate the design, the protective guard and the ease of use of these Boshel dog nail clippers.
- Designed for safe dog nail cutting thanks to the protective guard which will protect the quick of the nail from painful accidental cutting
- 5 mm thick, razor-sharp stainless steel blades provide quick and precise cuts each time
- Suitable for both dogs and cats
- Anti-slip handle covers for stable and comfortable handling and use
- The clippers are sold with a small file for the nails placed in the left handle of the Boshel clippers
- Great for newbies in dog nail trimming, and perfect for nervous or fidgety dogs and cats
- Made by Resco- the company which first invented the guillotine dog nail trimmer back in 1937
- Features a patented blade replacement option which will ensure that your trimmer lasts forever
- Allows for precise, fast and safe trimming
- Comfortable grips which will prevent slippage and accidents during the trimming
- Stylish powder coating
- Used by professional vets and groomers all around the US
- A sharp and precise, replaceable micro-honed blade system
- Made of durable steel
- Sold in regular and large size options
- Conditional lifetime warranty by Resco
- Suitable for all dog sizes as well as for cats and small pets
- Made in the USA
- Offers gentle, safe and painless dog nail grooming, shaping, trimming and smoothing
- Perfect for dogs that are terrified by getting their nails clipped, as well as for nervous pet owners
- The body of the grinder provides a comfortable and stable grip
- USB chargeable, the unit comes with a USB charging cable
- Safer and milder than nail clippers or trimmers
- Three optional size openings of the grinder area which can be adjusted to fit the nail size of your pet
- The entire guard cap can be removed for trimming very large nails
- A quiet motor which won’t stress out your pup or kitty
- It is small and light and is cordless, so you can use it outdoors or wherever you prefer
- One charge holds for at least two full grooming sessions
- Easy to clean
- Very affordably priced
- Made by Millers Forge a company with over 65 years of experience in making professional pet grooming tools
- Heavy-duty clippers which can be used for even the thickest and toughest nails
- These are suitable for dogs over 40 lbs.
- Used by and recommended by many professional groomers and vets throughout the US
- Top-quality steel and materials, these clippers are made in Italy
- Sharp and very precise cutting blades allow for easy, quick and clean cuts
- Can be used comfortably by both left-handed and right-handed people
- Very durable and sturdy clippers
- Made entirely of eco-friendly, recyclable materials
- Suitable for small pets, such as toy dog breeds, puppies, cats, rabbits, Guinee pigs, hamsters, birds, and others
- Very easy and safe to use thanks to the sharp and precise stainless steel blades and the anti-slip handles with comfy finger rests
- A safe nail clipper head
- Angle edged blades for a perfectly clean and precise cut
- Comes with a useful instructional “how-to” e-book from Shiny Pet – perfect for nervous pet owners
- Will allow for quick and hassle-free grooming and trimming
- Very affordable price
If you want to invest in good quality dog nail clippers and also help the rescue animals from the American Animal Rescue Society, then you should opt for the Pet Republique professional dog nail clippers.
- These come in various sizes – mini, small and large
- Very reasonably priced
- A useful protective guard will prevent you from overcutting and hurting your dog
- Stainless steel, sharp and strong angled blades which will last for years
- Non-slip comfortable handles and a built-in spring for effortless and fast nail trimming
- The ergonomic design of the clippers will keep both you and your pet comfortable and safe during the grooming process
- 15% of your purchase will be donated to the American Animal Rescue Society which helps abandoned dogs and cats find new homes
- Small and portable, this grinder is powered by 2 AAA alkaline batteries
- Very easy to use
- Provides a comfortable grip
- Powered by a super quiet motor with very little vibrations which won’t stress out your dog or other pet
- Three different sized openings for grinding dog nails of different sizes, and an entirely removable cover for larger dog nails
- A professional grinding wheel which spins at 7500 RPM
- Grinding is much safer and painless for your pet than regular nail clipping
- Sold with a 1-year warranty and a 30-day money-back guarantee
- It can be cleaned easily with a cloth or eraser
- Comes with a protective cap
We surely hope that we have helped all you dog parents find the perfect clippers, trimmers or grinder to properly groom and cut your dog’s nails.
We have picked models from all four categories of dog nail clippers – scissors, pliers, guillotine trimmers, and grinders.
Our top picks for the best dog nail clippers for 2020 are all with proven high quality and will allow you to painlessly, safely and properly trim the nails of your fur baby.
You need to trim your dog’s nails regularly in order to make it feel comfortable and to prevent broken and split nails as well as other incidents and health issues which can result from overgrown nails.
Remember to get your dog used to the clippers of your choice gradually and by awarding it with treats. It is best to trim the dog’s nails after a bath when they are softer.
Also, if possible get your dog used to regular nail grooming from an early age.
Even if you are new to dog nail trimming, our top picks have all been tested by us and by vets and groomers, and have been found to be very easy and safe to use, and all clippers will cut the nails in one even cut. The grinders will take a bit more time and patience, but they are easier on nervous dogs that are terrified or dislike regular nail clipping.
Our top choices have been selected based on a number of important features including: durability, ease of use, comfortable and anti-slip grip and use, the sharpness of the blades, quality of the materials used, efficiency and speed, as well as price and warranty conditions.
With one of these clippers or grinders, the regular nail clipping procedures at home will become a much more enjoyable and stress-free experience for both you and for your pet!
So, go ahead and buy one of these amazing dog nail trimming devices, and forget about having to visit the groomers or vet every few weeks. You will have the opportunity to take proper care of your beloved dog’s nails in the privacy and comfort of your own home with one of our top 10 picks for the best dog nail trimmers of 2020!
- Which is the best dog shock collar in 2020?
- How to find the best GPS Dog Collar in 2020
- Learn More About Largest Dog Breeds Ever – 2020
- Smart and Small Dog Breeds – List of Top Small Dogs with Pictures
Last update on 2020-10-01 at 18:43 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API