Let’s be honest, I’m all about the healthy lifestyle, but there is nothing sweeter than making a sinfully caloric meal, except eating that sinful dish.
One of such recipes is definitely Deep Dish Pizza, otherwise known as Chicago-style pizza.
I prefer the traditional Italian pizza with thin crust, but my boys love the deep crust of the Chicago version, and especially enjoy the rich layer of topping.
That’s why I decided to treat them with one homemade Barbara-style deep dish pizza just the other day. They certainly deserved it, because they had a rough week, so naturally, they were thrilled with my present.
I don’t make deep dish pizza often, and when I do, sometimes I buy the pizza dough in the store to save the time, but this time I wanted to make it really special and make the dough myself too.
Honestly, it was a lot easier than I remembered, and nothing beats the simultaneously soft and crunchy crust of homemade dough.
So, do you want to learn how to make deep dish pizza yourself?
Read on to find out.
My Deep Dish Pizza
delicious and filling diet sin 🙂
Prep time: 30 minutes
(+ 1 hour for the dough to sit)
Cook time: 30 minutes
Servings: 2 – 3 people
For the dough:
- 1 pound white flour
- 2 tsp active yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil (+ a little more for brushing the dough ball and the crust)
- 1 cup lukewarm water
You May Need: Most Recommended Flour Sifter
For the topping:
- 1 cup canned tomato or tomato sauce
- 3/4 pound Kashkaval or Edam cheese
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 3/4 pound pepperoni (or some sausage)
Must-Read: Rolling Pin Substitute – Be Creative Wherever You Are!
- Pour the warm water into a small bowl and add yeast, sugar and one teaspoon of flour. Let stand until foamy.
- Pour the flour into a large bowl, add a teaspoon of salt and two spoons of olive oil.
- Add the warm water with yeast in the larger bowl and mix everything together, with a mixer, spoon or your hands until you get a consistent dough.
- Transfer the dough to the counter surface (pour some flour on top of it) and shape it into a ball.
- Pour some olive oil into an empty bowl, put the dough ball into it and turn it around until it is equally covered with oil. Leave to stand for about one hour.
- Put the ball on a floured counter surface and gently knead. Roll it into about 12-inch round.
- Put baking paper in a deep pan (or coat it with olive oil).
- Place the dough in the pan and push it around the pan’s sides.
- Pour the tomato sauce in the middle and evenly disperse it everywhere except on the high edges.
- Sprinkle with a spoon of oregano.
- Evenly disperse one half of ground cheese on top.
- Arrange the pepperoni over the cheese.
- Add the second half of the cheese.
- Sprinkle with oregano.
- Put in a preheated oven (450 F).
- After 20 minutes change the temperature to 300 F, and leave to bake for ten more minutes.
- Brush the crust edges with olive oil or butter.
You Should: Choose the Best Oven Mitts
It seems like you will have a lot of job with this, but it is not as difficult as it looks. There are some tricks I like to use to make this dish even better.
For example, the crust will be much softer if you add two or three spoons of Greek yogurt into the dough, but you can save yourself the trouble of preparing the dough by opting for the store-bought version, it is almost just as good as the homemade.
Also, you can change the toppings according to your taste. I used some pretty hot pepperoni I got from my neighbor, but you can use ham or salami instead.
Also, you can add mushrooms, pepper, onion or whatever you can come up with. There is no way you can go wrong with this. 😉
Related: How To Reheat Pizza In Oven: Flawless Techniques To Warm Up Cold Leftover Pizza