Fried chicken is a go-to snack or meal in many cases and can be a highly convenient and yummy option. Cooking it every time, however, can be quite a pain. In such a case, can you freeze fried chicken, so that you can simply thaw it and eat it whenever you want without any hassle?
Luckily, it is possible and completely safe to freeze fried chicken as long as you ensure that you freeze it properly. You can go through this in further detail below.
Is It Possible to Freeze Fried Chicken?
Yes, it is possible to freeze fried chicken. In fact, freezing it can make for a great option since you can store it easily for a few months and use it whenever you feel the need or craving.
Since fried chicken can manage to ward off and destroy and kind of potential bacteria due to the frying method, it can be much easier for you to freeze this kind of chicken and keep it safe for a long enough time.
As long as you ensure the proper conditions while freezing the fried chicken, you can expect it to last in your freezer for four months instead of only four days in the fridge. This can also be a good way for you to maintain its shape, nutritional content and flavor for a long time.
However, you should note that while your fried chicken will certainly stay safe for up to four months, its quality might start degrading slowly even though you can still definitely use it.
Whenever you want to use it again, you should first thaw it by moving it from the freezer to the fridge. You can then use the microwave or oven to heat it up and make it crispy again to eat it. Placing it in the oven at 400°F for 20 or more minutes can prepare it well for consumption.
Do not thaw your fried chicken at room temperature since this can be a sure way to attract bacteria, especially since bacteria can grow rapidly when temperatures are between 40°F and 140°F, also known as the danger zone.
Related: What Is The Best Way To Reheat Fried Chicken?
It is extremely necessary for you to follow proper freezing etiquette and maintain the right conditions to keep the fried chicken safe for a few months. The following steps and methods are important to be aware of in this case.
- If you have just prepared the fried chicken and if it is still hot or warm, you will need to let it cool a bit to prepare it for freezing. However, once the chicken reaches room temperature, do not leave it out like that for more than an hour or so.
- Once each piece of the fried chicken is cool enough, you can wrap each piece with some freezer wrap or plastic wrap and some aluminum foil (as an extra measure) thoroughly. Do not leave any part of the chicken uncovered or unwrapped.
- You can then place all the pieces in a large freezer bag or simply in an airtight container. Mark them with the date to ensure that you use them up on time.
- You can also try out some other methods of freezing fried chicken. For instance, you can just place the pieces in an airtight freezer-safe bag and make sure you keep each piece separate. Freezing them without any covering and then putting them in a container to freeze again can work too.
You should note that while you can also simply refrigerate the fried chicken, you will need to use it up quickly.
If you are unsure whether or not your fried chicken is safe to use, give it a sniff and see if it smells sour or strange in any way. If so, throw it out. Discolorations or mold of any kind can also mean that it has gone bad.
Related: Can You Freeze Cooked Chicken?
Some Fried Chicken Dishes
There are many fried chicken dishes that you can make and enjoy. Examples include:
- Crispy fried chicken with prior marinating and coating with bread crumbs
- Adding honey glaze or any other such dip to the fried chicken pieces
- Buying some cuisine-specific sauces and coating your fried chicken with them
- Making gravy and breaking up the fried chicken into pieces to toss into the gravy
- Using fried chicken in sandwiches
Depending on your tastes, there are many recipes and dishes that you can try out and experiment with.
Essentially, freezing fried chicken is certainly possible and quite safe, allowing you to store it for up to four months. Just make sure you wrap them up well and seal them in tight enough containers so that the moisture remains inside and no excess moisture or odors get in. Thaw safely and eat well!