If you are in the woodworking business or enjoy making your own furniture at home, a biscuit joiner is a tool will make your life much easier when it comes to joining two pieces of wood together. These tools are also known as plate joiners use small saw blades to cut crescent-shaped holes on the two opposite sides of the wood pieces or panels.
Then the compressed and highly dried oval biscuits which are covered with glue are used to attach the two wooden parts. Since the wet glue helps the biscuits expand, the bond between the parts strengthens.
So, the question is – do you really need a biscuit joiner, and how to choose the best one for you?
We have asked numerous professional woodworkers as well as DIY enthusiasts for advice and for their personal reviews of the different models available right now, and here is the full list of the top 9 best biscuit joiners which you can find right now online or in your hardware store.
- Precise and powerful biscuit joiner
- Powered by a 5.6 amp motor with 11,000 rpm
- It can cut through various types of wood
- The vertical aluminum pivot fence is designed for precise fence adjustment
- Three adjustable fence positions at 0, 45 and 90 degrees
- 6 depth settings: #0, #10, #20 and the other common biscuit sizes
- Ergonomic design, slim and comfortable and safe to handle
- Quick and easy blade replacement
- Added durability by the cast aluminum and other top quality materials used
- Large cam locks
- A large and comfortable top grid handle to make work easier
- A non-marring rubber strip on the shoes against slippage
- Replaceable dust port
- Engineered in Japan, made in the USA
- The settings on the depth gauge are too small to read
The Makita PJ7000 is, without doubt, one of the best plate joiners for 2019. It is very comfortable and easy to use. The high precision and the adjustable depth makes it great for joining all kinds of wood, with all common biscuit sizes. Definitely, a great tool which both pros and enthusiasts will appreciate!
- A powerful 7 amp motor and a 10,000 rpm blade rotation
- 7 cutting settings
- Works with a wide variety of wood types
- The fence tilts from 0 to 135 degrees and has a 90 degree stop
- A four-inch blade
- Comes with a dust bag, a chip deflector, a centering plate, a spanner wrench and a 4-inch blade
- Very solid build
- Affordable price for the value
- The nose has coarse sandpaper to keep the unit from slipping and accidental cuts
- Switching blades is easy and seamless
- The chute of the dust bag is a bit small and can get clogged with chips during use
This Porter Cable plate joiner kit is ideal for woodworkers who are on a tight budget, but who need a reliable, easy to use and powerful biscuit joiner. It includes all tools and equipment you will need. It is easy to adjust and use with various types of wood and biscuit sizes.
If you like to have the best of the best, you should consider getting the Lamello Classic x 101600 biscuit joiner which is often referred to as the “Cadillac of plate joiners.” After all, it was Lamello which invented the technique of plate joining, so it is not surprising that it has once again made one of the best biscuit joiners in the world!
- A powerful 780-watt motor
- A good and comfortable base plate
- A swiveling front stop and side stop square flushes of easy positioning on the wooden edges for reference and alignment
- Made of sturdy machine-milled metal which will last for years
- Can cut groves for 12 biscuit sizes without the need of changing the blade
- The beveled sides of the innovative fence allow for easy viewing
- Positive stops for 0,22.5,45,67.5 and 90 degree angles
- Multifunctional stop square stays parallel to the front plate
- A central locking system
- CNC precision parts
- 1-year warranty, 10-year guarantee for spare part availability
- Doesn’t have a dust bag attachment
This is one of the finest new Lamello biscuit joiners available. It is easy and precise to use and works with different types of wood and all biscuit sizes. It is possibly one of the sturdiest of the plate joiners on a list, so if you are looking to make a long-term investment, you should choose this one!
If you are looking for a plate joiner which you can actually test first, you should opt for the Dewalt DW682K biscuit joiner which is sold with a 90-day money back satisfaction guarantee, which will give you plenty of time to decide if it is right for you or not.
- 90-day money back guarantee
- 5 amp, 10,000 rpm
- Can be used on all types of wood
- Very lightweight (less than 7 lbs.)
- A dual rack with pinion fences ensure that they are always parallel to the blades
- An adjustable one-piece fence (from 0 to 90 degrees)
- Preset depth stops for all common biscuit sizes
- You can do flush cuts at 0 degrees without removing the fence
- Features anti-slip pins for safety and precision
- Efficient dust collection
- 3-year limited warranty and 1-year service contract
- The square dust removal port can be difficult to connect without the plastic adapters to the bag or vacuum
Given the 90 day money back satisfaction guarantee, the 3-year warranty and the quality of this biscuit joiner, it is definitely worth every cent you will pay for this wonderful, lightweight and powerful woodworking tool from Dewalt.
- Features a patented unique cutting action which rotates and oscillates to allows for cutting perfect grooves over and over – excellent for precise and efficient repeated cutting
- Easy mortise width adjustment via a convenient dial
- A dust extracting design which keeps the biscuit grooves clean and ready for gluing and ensures a longer life of the cutter
- The domino machine is much faster than a normal stationary machine
- A pivoting fence which can be adjusted at 0, 22.5, 45, 67.5 and 90 degrees
- Indexing pins for easy and quick alignment
- Comes with a 5mm domino cutter, a support bracket, a wrench, a sustainer and a plug it power cord
- HEPA certified dust extractor for your safety
- This is a high-end professional biscuit joiner which can be out of the price range for some people
The Domino DF 500 joining system is a superb, fast and very precise biscuit joining tool, which is much faster than the other stationary machines used. It is precise, easy to use, and has an efficient cleaning system which saves time, and allows for a stronger bond between the wood pieces. This is a high-end tool which is suitable for professionals, but can be an excellent instrument for woodworking home enthusiasts too!
- Cordless operation and easy portability
- 6,500 rpm cutting
- Ability to cut various wood types
- A rack and pinion vertical fence for more precise adjustments
- Three positive stops at 0, 45 and 90 degrees of the cast aluminum pivot fence
- 6 depth stops for all common biscuit sizes
- Slim, ergonomic design with a convenient top handle for easy handling and use
- 30-minute rapid charging of the lithium-ion battery
- A battery overload safety system
- Durable and lightweight
- Affordable price
- The battery and charger need to be purchased separately (about 30 to 40 dollars)
This cordless biscuit joiner from Makita is superb for use on the field or indoors where there is limited or no power. It charges quickly and is light and very easy to handle and use. This is high precision, reliable biscuit joiner available at an excellent price.
- Much cheaper than some of the more famous branded biscuit joiners
- 1010 watts, 11,000 rpm
- A maximum cutting depth of 0.55 inches
- Cutting angles from 0 to 45 degrees
- Comes with a 4-inch 6T C2 Tungsten Carbide blade
- Adjustable fence
- Quick and easy operation
- Perfect for super strong Milter joints, butt joints, T-joint and edge to edge cutting
- An efficient dust port and added dust bag
- Has preset settings for 0,10 and 0 biscuit sizes
- The dust collection outlet can get clogged easily
The Gino Development TruePower biscuit joiner is an inexpensive tool, which is excellent for those of you who don’t do woodwork professionally or on a daily basis. It does what it is supposed to do, and is a quite efficient tool for the low price asked for it.
This is another Festool Domino set worth mentioning in our top best biscuit joiner list. It is a professional kit which includes every tool you will ever need when working with wood and with biscuits for bonding.
- Features the unique patented rotating and oscillating system which allows for perfect, identical and clean biscuit mortises repeatedly
- The width of the cuts can be adjusted easily via a user-friendly dial
- 5 different mortise depth adjustments from 19/32 inches to 2 ¾ inches
- The pivoting fence can create grooves from 0 to 90 degrees with positive stops and 22.5, 45 and 67.5 degrees
- The indexing pins provide supreme accuracy and perfect alignment to the wood pieces
- 5 ½ inch long tenons which are superb for large projects
- Has cross stops and an optional trim for narrow edge joining
- 720 watts
- Efficient dust removal system which helps you stay healthy and reduces the need of cleaning up
- It is on the higher end price wise
This is a professional range, reliable and very efficient biscuit joiner, which is suitable for professional woodworkers, as well as for home use. It is much faster, more precise and more reliable than many of the other plat joiners on this list. It is more expensive than some of the others, but it is a reliable tool which in the long run will save you a lot of time and money if you work as a furniture maker or a woodworker.
- Swiss made, high precision instrument
- A multifunctional tool which can be used as a biscuit joining tool too with the optional cutter (4mm)
- A Vertical Mechanical Drive which automatically oscillates the cutter when it reaches a maximum plunge
- It is fast and efficient so it will save you time and reduce labor
- Features Lamello’s P System connectors
- Dual depth adaptors for all standard and non-standard depths
- Comes with a Tanos Sustainer T-Loc 1case, a Torx driver, a stop square, 2 distance plates (2, 4 mm) and a drill kit for the connectors
- It is expensive
The Lamello Zeta-P2 is one of the most expensive biscuit joiners on our list, but it is truly a great, very precise and effective tool. It is suitable for professionals, who want to make perfect grooves for their biscuits are quick and as precise as possible. It is a superb investment, which will pay back quickly, especially if you use it for making furniture and other wood items which you sell.
As you can see, most biscuit joiners are similar. All of these models have their best and worst sides, and we have tried to present you with a comprehensive overview of everything you need to know about each and one of them.
Before you choose the one which will be the best option for you, think about how often you are going to use it, the size and weight of the instrument, the weight and ease of use, the adjustability, precision, dust cleaning system and the price and warranty given by the different manufacturers.
This list has a biscuit joiner for just about anybody working as a professional woodworker as well as for people who enjoy working on their own wood-based projects at home.
Invest in a good quality biscuit joiner and you will be astonished by how easy, effective and precise these instruments actually are!
Last update on 2019-04-26 at 06:55 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API