If you are tired of ending up with a ball of tangled wires every time you take out your headphones or earbuds out of your bag or pocket, we have the perfect solution for you – wireless headphones.
With headphones like this, you will say goodbye to dangling wires, with frustrating controls, and with inconvenient storage.
After testing a bunch of the wireless headphones and earbuds currently being offered on the market we have unanimously agreed that the best of the best for this year are the Sony WH1000XM3 over-the-ear headphones.
Read on to find out more about these amazing caps, as well as to view our other top choices for the year.
The 2019 flagship Sony WH1000XM3 wireless headphones are most definitely our top favorite pair of cordless headphones for the year. These are even better than their predecessors (and our runner-up choice) the Sony WH-1000XM2 headphones.
They have a closed, over the ear design, and completely eliminate all outside noises, so that you can enjoy listening to your favorite tracks or audiobook without absolutely any interference. This is possible thanks to the ever-improving noise cancellation algorithms used by Sony.
Still, a nifty feature called Quick Attention allows you to switch off the noise cancelation without even removing the headphones from your ears in case you need to talk to somebody or want to hear something as you are listening. You can choose to completely cancel any noises from the outside, or turn it off, or use the headphones in ambient mode as well.
The WH1000XM3 have a 4-40 kHz frequency response. They have 40mm drivers made of liquid crystal polymer, of the dynamic type for a truly immersive and enjoyable listening experience.
The headphones have a large wireless range of up to 30 feet, and you can use them continuously for up to an amazing 30 hours before recharging the batteries. They are easily charged via a USB Type-C port. There is a quick charge option which allows you to charge them for just 10 minutes for 5 hours of playtime.
They allow for easy NFC connectivity, a have a sensitivity of 103dB and an impedance of 46 Ohms.
All of these features combined will reward you with an absolutely great sounding audio wherever you go.
These wireless headphones from Sony have an even softer and more comfortable bridge path and are lighter than their predecessors.
The Smart listening Sense Engine along with the touch sensor which allows you to play, pause and skip tracks, control the volume and take incoming calls or activate voice assistant with a simple touch makes them absolutely the best wireless headphones for comfortable, undisturbed and top sound quality listening. So, you just need to swipe right on the ear cup to skip forward, swipe left to return to the previous track, double-tap to pause, and then double tap again to resume playing. To toggle the volume, you need to swipe up or down on the right ear cup.
The headset has integrated Google Assistant and four microphones integrated inside and outside of the ear cups to receive calls, or use voice commands for Google Assistant.
You will receive a carry case, a USB-C charging cable as well as an audio cable in case you want to use them in wired mode.
The flagship Sony headphones come in black and silver color options and are the absolute best when it comes to functionality, noise cancelation, audio quality, comfort and ease of use for this year.
The WH1000XM2 definitely stole the hearts of users and audiophiles around the world when they were first introduced in the fall of 2017, and they still are among the top 2 best wireless headphones on the market more than a year later.
Their digital noise cancelation is absolutely brilliant and will allow you to listen to the audio of your choice with absolutely no distractions wherever you are.
Thanks to the Smart Listening technology, these headphones will detect the surrounding noise and adjust the noise cancelation accordingly. You can adjust these and other settings via the useful Sony Headphones Connect app available both for Android and for iOS phones. You can choose the traveling mode for complete noise cancellation, walking mode, which will allow you to stay safe and be aware of your surroundings, as well as waiting mode, so you never miss an important announcement while waiting for your train, plane or other.
These Sony wireless headphones have the convenient Quick attention mode function, so you can have a conversation without removing them from your ears. All you need to do is cover the right ear cup and the volume will turn down instantly.
They too feature nifty touch controls to adjust the volume, skip tracks or receive calls with a swipe on the ear cups. You can also activate the voice assistant of your smartphone via a tap on the ear cup as well.
The battery life of these headphones is up to 30 hours when in cordless mode, and they have a 10-minute quick charge option which will provide you with an additional 70 minutes of listening. The charging is done via micro-USB.
The closed type, over-the-ear headphones can be used both in wireless and in wired modes, depending on your preferences. The wireless connection is LDAC which allows for the transmission of three times more data than regular Bluetooth, so you will be able to enjoy listening to music with exceptional quality even when you use the WH1000XM2 headphones in wireless mode.
The hi-resolution audio ensured by the S-Master HX technology will minimize distortion and will allow you to listen to all subtle details which the artist intended you to hear. Thanks to the DSEE HX technology, your compressed music will be restored to its original clear and rich sound.
Overall, if you want to enjoy long hours of wireless listening of top sound quality audio without interference, and if you prefer the easy touch control rather than having to take out your phone or music player to skip tracks, repeat them, control the volume, you may want to opt for this headset from Sony. They may be from 2017, but these wireless headphones are still among the best in this range at the end of this year too!
Best bang for the buck
These headphones are the wireless variant of the famous professional ATH-M50x studio headphones by the company,
These closed headphones can be used both with a cord as well as in Bluetooth wireless mode. Their battery life is up to 40 hours and their wireless range is up to 30 feet. They charge fully for about 7 hours via USB.
Their dynamic 45mm large-aperture drivers combined with an extended frequency response ranging from 15 up to 28,000Hz will ensure that you will enjoy a high-end listening experience and a strikingly well-rounded and warm sound alongside a deep and satisfying bass
They isolate ambient sound pretty well for an undisturbed listening appearance.
The headphones have touch control for activating voice assistant, and built-in microphone buttons to handle incoming calls, for playback and for adjusting the volume without removing them and without having to take out your phone or music player.
The headphones come with a 1 foot USB charging cable and a handy carrying pouch.
They are available in black, red, blue, white and gunmetal colors, so there is a color option for every taste.
The design of these over-the-ear wireless cans by Audio-Technica is foldable which makes them very easy to carry and store. The fact that the ear cups can be rotated to 90 degrees makes them very comfortable to wear around the neck as well.
When unfolded and in use, they are one of the most comfortable wireless headphones we have tested thanks to the generous padding and light weight.
They do look like studio headphones which will appeal to some, and may not be so appealing to others, but given the sound quality, their comfort, their long battery life and their voice canceling and other features, as well as the very reasonable price tag, these wireless headphones are in our honest opinion the best bang for the bug for this year.
And the rest of our favorite wireless headphones for the year are
If you are looking for the perfect balance between great sound, absolute comfort, and noise cancellation, you may want to consider buying the new Bose QuietComfort 35 II flagship headphones. The second series following the hugely successful QC35 is even better than its predecessor.
- Closed, over-the-ear design
- Alexa-enabled and with built-in Google Assistant with a designated button for activation without saying “OK Google”
- You can re-assign the button to turn on noise cancelation via the Bose mobile app for Android and iOS
- Balanced and very soft sound quality and performance
- A weight of only 0.68 lbs.
- Can be used with or without a cable (the cable is 3.94ft. long)
- Bluetooth connectivity for wireless use for up to 20 hours and for up to 40 hours when wired
- Charges via micro-USB
- NFC connectivity
- Amazingly comfortable to wear for long hours – perfect for traveling and commuting
- Three different levels of industry-leading noise cancelation for the perfect listening experience in just about any environment
- A dual-microphone system with a noise rejecting function for receiving calls and using voice commands
- Very easy Bluetooth pairing
- A function allows for reading notifications from your phone without taking it out of your pocket or bag
Are you looking for a wireless headset which looks as gorgeous as it sounds? The high-end Sennheiser Momentum could be the perfect option for you. These headphones are perfect for audiophiles and for people who appreciate music to a level that they are willing to spend as much as it takes for the best.
- A stunning design which will impress everybody around you
- A comfortable and rugged construction means to last for years
- Premium materials are used only for the making of these amazing headphones – with different leather textures and stainless steel side arms
- Pristine sound quality – the best in the range
- Closed acoustic design for a comfortable and undisturbed listening experience
- A wireless range of more than 30 feet
- Over 25 hours of battery life
- Charged via micro USB
- Can be used with a cable which is 4.6 ft. long as well which is excellent if you want to use the headphones with devices which are not Bluetooth enabled
- A wide frequency response of 16-22,000 Hz
- The headphones are collapsible for easy storage and portability
- Built-in mic for aiding the noise cancelation function
- Easy to pair via Bluetooth
- A multi-function button on the can for easy adjustments and control
- They come with a beautiful and sturdy leather carry case and a thin and gentle silk pouch for added protection
- If you can afford them – these are the best wireless headphones you can get at the moment
- Available in futuristic clear color, classy bronze, and colorful red options as well as in wired and wireless versions
- In-ear design but with an added secure over the ear cable to keep the earbuds safely and comfortably in place and yet stay out of your way
- Very comfortable to wear for long hours
- Three high definition drivers for rich bass and a spacious sound resembling a cinematic experience
- A distinctly tuned filter for the frequencies
- A frequency range of 18Hz – 19kHz
- The sound isolation function includes a kit with various sleeves which will block out ambient noise up to 37dB no matter where you are
- Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity and the ability to pair with all Bluetooth enabled phones, tablets, laptops and other devices
- Battery life of up to 8 hours
- A wireless range of up to 30 feet
- Can easily be used both with iOS and Android devices via the 3.5mm switch
- An inline microphone and remote control allows you to receive and make phone calls, use voice commands for your phone, as well as access and control the volume and playback
- The headphones come with a Bluetooth 4.1 cable, a 3.5mm cable, a micro-USB charging cable, a clothing clip, an airline adapter, a ¼ inch adapter, a high-end carrying case, and a noise cancelation and comfort fit kit
If you want comfortable in-ear wireless headphones which will sense when noise cancelation needs to be switched on or off automatically, you should definitely take a closer look at the Sony WI-1000X BM earbuds.
- Completely automatic Artificial Intelligence-based noise canceling – the headphones will detect your settings and adjust the noise cancellation in accordance with whether you are traveling, walking, waiting
- Hermetic hybrid driver units
- Removable 1m cable
- A comfortable fit and an added neckband for traveling, commuting and all-day use
- The batteries provide up to 10 hours of listening time
- A reproduction frequency range of 3Hz – 4000 Hz
- A sensitivity of 101 dB when wired with the power on and 97dB when wired with the power off
- LDAC wireless connectivity which preserves the high resolution of the audio source, and which supports multiple transmission rates
- A DSEE HX technology which transforms lower quality sound to a higher resolution
- S-Master HX will reproduce all the little details in high-resolution audio sources
- A powerful bass and immersive virtual surround sound
- With the Sense Engine, you can tune in and tune out of what you are listening to with a single touch
- The equalizer can be adjusted and controlled via the Sony Headphones Connect App
- You can choose the direction from which you want the sound to come with the Sound Position Control function
- Built-in Google Assistant for easy voice control
- Allows for hands-free calling
- Comes with a carry pouch, a connection cable, an aircraft plug adaptor, a USB cable
- Ergonomic and comfortable fit of the earbuds which come with two sizes of silicone ear tips for a perfect fit
- Nifty touch controls on the earbud stems
- The earbuds will detect when they are placed in the ears and removed for easy audio control on the go
- They are IPX5 water and dust resistant, so you can wear them during sports, when it is raining and in other similar conditions where there is sweat or water
- They have a 4-hour battery life per charge
- The charging case can provide them with an additional 14 hours of battery life when you are away from a power outlet
- They have a useful voice assistant which is activated with the press of the right earbud which allows you to make calls, control your music, get your notifications read to you, and others
- When you receive calls, the noise cancelation and noise isolation will allow you to hear your caller clearly in both ears
- An award-winning design available in navy and lava colors
- Sold with a 1-year warranty
Why should you buy wireless headphones?
Just a few years ago, wireless headphones would have been a bad choice due to the unreliable wireless connections back then. Today, with the advance of technology and with the improved wireless connections and innovations, cordless headphones and earbuds are the best option for those of you who commute, travel, run, or spend a lot of time on the go and want to enjoy listening to your favorite playlists, your audiobooks, or use them as hands-free accessories for making calls, receiving notifications, performing online searches and freeing yourself from the outside noise. All of this is possible with the devices from our list but without the dangling wires, and the frustrating times when you are faced with a bundle of tangled thin cables in your bag or pocket.
Features to look for in wireless headphones
The choice of the best cordless headphones largely depends on what you plan for using them for as well as on your budget. There are cordless headphones and earbuds which can cost you several hundred dollars, and others which will cost less than $50, so you have a wide choice when it comes to the money you are ready to spend.
There are other features to look for when shopping for wireless headphones as well.
The types of wireless headphones available on the market
There are several main types of cord-free headphones been offered on the market right now.
These are the classic headphones which are still very popular for everyday commuting, traveling and any other use. These headphones feature ear caps which are padded for added comfort and for noise isolation and can be worn for hours without any discomfort, except for the fact that your ears might get a bit warm underneath the caps. Most of our favorite picks for this ear are from this type, including our top choice – the Sony WH1000XM3, the runner-up Sony WH1000XM2, as well as the Audio Technica ATH0M50, the Bose QuietComfort 35 II and the gorgeous Sennheiser Momentum headphones.
In-ear wireless headphones
These are more discreet, do not warm up the ears and the areas around them which makes them suitable for everyday use as well as for sports. Of course, not everybody feels comfortable with the same earbuds plugged in their ears for hours, so look for models which offer different size ear tips so that you can customize yours for maximum comfort and noise cancelation, as well as to reduce the annoyance of the earbuds falling out while you are on the go. We have picked the Shure SE535 and the Sony WI-1000X as our top choices in this particular category.
True wireless earbuds
The Mobvio TicPods are an excellent example of the true wireless earbuds which are becoming growingly popular in the latest years. These earplugs have no cables whatsoever, so they are discreet, completely wireless and are suitable for any type of use – from commuting to traveling and for sports as well. The problem with this type of earbuds is that they have a shorter battery life than the other types, so if you are looking for wireless headphones for all-day use or for long trips, you should probably opt for over-the-ear ones, the best of which have a battery life of up to and above 30 hours and they also allow for wired playback in case you happen to run out of batteries.
This feature is essential if you want to listen to the audio of your choice without being disturbed by the noise surrounding you. Most of our top picks have noise cancelation, but our definite favorites in regard to this feature are Sony’s over-the-ear models and the other top picks in this range.
The wireless connectivity
Not only do you want to look for headphones or earbuds which will stay connected to your phone or another source, but you also want to pick headphones which can transfer the audio with the best sound quality possible and even improve it. A great example are Sony’s wireless headphones and earbuds in our list which have LDAC, which will improve the sound from lower resolution sources and will provide you with all subtle details when listening to high-resolution audio. Other formats include aptX or aptX HD support.
Also, you should opt for headphones and earbuds which have a sufficient range, so that you ensure that you don’t lose the connection with the source even if it is not in your pocket or in your bag at the moment.
A pair of good quality wireless headphones will make your trips, commutes and everyday errands much more enjoyable. You won’t have to deal with tangled and dangling wires, and if you pick a good quality pair, you will be able to listen to the music of your choice with the sound quality and the level of detail which the artist intended you to hear it.
We are positive that you have found the perfect pair of wireless headphones in our list because these have been handpicked from tens and even hundreds of different models being offered right now as the absolute best ones available.
So, good luck with your purchase and enjoy the convenience, comfort and the excellent listening experience with any one of these wireless earbuds or headphones!
Last update on 2019-09-19 at 00:05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API