If your home has carpeted stairs, then you know exactly how hard and how risky it is to climb up and down the stairs with a bulky and unsuitable vacuum cleaner.
This is why we have taken the time to test and review a number of vacuum cleaners for you and have come up with a list of the leading vacuums for carpeted stairs for 2021 for you.
Best Vacuum for Carpeted Stairs
Apart from our top favorite pick – the Dyson Cyclone V10 Absolute, there are many other vacuums that will make life much easier on you when it comes time to clean the stairs.
When using the non-motorized tool, the Cyclone V10 has a runtime of 60 minutes, which means that you can clean your carpeted stairs and the rest of your home without the need for stopping to recharge the device.
The top choice for a vacuum for carpeted stairs for 2021 is the powerful and yet light and portable Dyson Cyclone V10 Absolute.
After a lot of testing and reviewing, we found that this cordless vacuum is the most powerful option among all other cord-free vacuum cleaners in this range.
When you decide to use the Soft Roller cleaner head, you will get 40 minutes of uninterrupted power and cleaning.
With the most powerful torque cleaner head, you can use this cordless vacuum for 20 minutes of continuous powerful cleaning.
The unique Cyclone technology includes 14 concentric cyclones, which will ensure that you get every single speck of dust, hair, and any other piece of dirt off of the carpet or floor and into the dust container of the vacuum.
Even if there are people with dust or pet allergies at home, you don’t have to worry about triggering the allergies when you are cleaning with this vacuum because it features an advanced whole machine filtration system that will keep the allergens in the unit and out of the air. In fact, the fully-sealed filtration system will capture and trap up to 99.97% of the allergens and particles and keep them out of the air.
Thanks to its lightweight, this cordless vacuum can easily be held with one hand as you go up or down the stairs or move around the house. The dimensions of the vacuum cleaner are 9.8 x 10.1 x 49.2 inches, and it weighs 5.88 lbs. only, so people of all ages can easily carry it around and use it without effort and without ending up with a sore arm, shoulder, and back.
The light and portable vacuum for stairs is powered by a Dyson V10 digital motor, which is powerful enough to suck in even the finest dust and dirt from the carpets, floors, and upholstery.
You can also quickly turn the vacuum into a handheld one, so you can reach those difficult-to-get places or clean your car with it as well.
With the most powerful Dyson Torque drive cleaner, you can remove about 25% more dust from the carpet than the other vacuums of this class can.
This vacuum is designed in a way so that it won’t scratch or otherwise damage any hard floors when you are using the motor-driven soft roller cleaner, which will not only remove the dirt but will capture the fine dust from the surfaces as well.
The Dyson Cyclone V10 has three power modes to choose from, and can easily be recharged and stored via the included nifty drop-in wall-mounted docking system.
Apart from the included powerful Torque cleaning head and the soft roller cleaning head, the vacuum comes with a crevice tool, a combination tool, a mini motorized tool, and a mini soft dusting brush.
The dust bin is large enough to allow you to clean the stairs and home before the need to empty it. It has a capacity of 77 liters.
Overall, this versatile, powerful, light, and very easy-to-use vacuum cleaner for carpeted stairs is definitely the most suitable choice you can make if you want to make the best investment, and ensure that your stairs at home are perfectly clean without too much effort.
You can also use it to clean your car and your furniture and to reach all the hard-to-get places without any hassle at all.
The unit weighs less than 4 lbs. (only 3.7 lbs.) and has a 15-foot long power cord so you won’t need to stop to plug in the cleaner into a power outlet closer to the stairs or the area you are cleaner so often.
Our second favorite vacuum for carpeted stairs is a light and portable but mighty handheld vacuum cleaner by Shark.
The fact that the Shark Rocket Ultra is corded also means that you won’t start losing power when you are in the middle of a cleaning job either.
The hand vacuum has a TruePet motorized brush which is perfect for handheld deep cleaning of your upholstery and your car. It will remove and suck in all of the dust, debris, pet hair and dander and any other pollutants you have stuck in the carpeting or other fabrics.
The vacuum has a dust cup that doesn’t require the use of a bag and is easy to empty with a single touch of a button and without having to touch the mess with your hands.
The vacuum comes with a number of useful accessories including a 12-inch crevice tool, the TruePet motorized brush, a dusting brush, and a stretch hose so you can reach to any area easily.
Since there is no bag for the dust and the filters of the vacuum are washable and reusable, this handheld vacuum will cost you nothing after the initial purchase.
With a compact size of 9.7 x 4.9 x 13.6 inches, you can easily store this vacuum cleaner anywhere. You can also carry it around and use it to clean tight spaces like your car as well.
This superb, light, and powerful vacuum by Shark is the perfect option for those of you who don’t want to break the bank and yet have an efficient and easy-to-use cleaning device for your upholstery, stairs, cars and any other surface above the ground.
With a weight of a mere 3.7 lbs. the vacuum can be carried around and used by people of all ages, and even those who have hand, arm or back problems.
You can clean up your entire stairway and all of the upholstery and other furniture at home at once, without having to stop to recharge the device because it is fitted with a very long power cord which will ensure that the suction remains as powerful and efficient from start to finish.
Best budget-friendly option
This Ultra-light hand vacuum weighs only 5 lbs. and is specially designed to clean up pet hair and pet dander which tend to get stuck in the carpets and the upholstery at home.
Our favorite budget-friendly vacuum for carpeted stairs for 2021 is the lightweight and reasonably priced Pet Hair Eraser handheld vacuum by Bissel, which is perfect for easy cleaning of all corners and crevices on the carpeted stairs, as well as your upholstery, furniture, and your car.
It is a corded handheld vacuum with a long power cord (16 feet) which means that it won’t lose power and stop in the middle of the cleaning job. In case you think that a cordless vacuum is easier to use, you can opt for the cordless Pet Hair Eraser by Bissell, which is another excellent option.
The hand vacuum can clean thoroughly any surface, including stairs, car seats, upholstery, and others.
The cleaner has a multi-layer filtration system which will ensure that all of the dust, dirt, and allergens sucked in the unit will remain inside until you empty the dust bin. This is excellent news for people suffering from asthma, dust, or pet allergies.
This powerful little vacuum cleaner uses Bissell’s Cyclonic Cleaning System. Its dirt cup has a capacity of 0.78 liters and is easy to empty with the push of a button and without the need for handling the mess or replacing bags.
The budget-friendly vacuum also has a specialized rubber nozzle that will attract pet and other hair and will successfully pull it out even if it is embedded deeply in your carpet or in another fabric.
The vacuum comes with another suction nozzle which will help you easily pick up any dry messes such as spilled pet food or kitty litter from the floor.
The size of the device is just 10 x 5 x 8 inches, so you can store it away anywhere, and carry it around without hassle.
This is one of the top deals you can get in 2021 if you want an inexpensive but still efficient and easy to carry and use a vacuum cleaner for your stairs, for the car, your upholstery, or for picking up dry messes. It is sold with a 1-year warranty which is another plus to keep in mind.
The rest of the best vacuums for carpeted stairs for 2021
If you are looking for a versatile vacuum cleaner that you can use for cleaning all floors, the furniture as well as the carpeted stair and your car, then the 2-in-1 Shark Navigator Lift-Away Deluxe NV360 could be the perfect option for you.
- A multi-functional vacuum can be used as an upright vacuum with swivel steering as well as a hand-held vacuum for carpeted stairs and car cleaning
- The lift-away function requires the press of a single button, so you can reach every single area of the house without having to stop the device to disassemble it
- It has an Anti-allergen Complete Seal Technology with a HEPA filter which will capture all of the airborne dust, pollen, pet dander, dust mites, and other pollutants and allergens and keep them safely inside the dust cup and away from the air that you breathe
- The entire device weighs 12.5 lbs. and the canister alone weighs only 7.5 lbs.
- It provides excellent suction for a device so compact
- When used as an upright vacuum, the cleaning device has swivel steering which makes maneuvering around the furniture a breeze
- The capacity of the dust cup is 12 quarts, and it is very easy to empty even while you are using the vacuum, and without the need for bags or for touching the mess
- The vacuum comes with a pet power brush, a 55-inch crevice tool, and a dusting brush
- Its size is 15 x 11.4 x 45.5 inches, and it weighs 12.5 lbs.
If you are tired of dragging your huge and bulky vacuum up and down the stairs and prefer the comfort of using an ultra-light and cordless vacuum for cleaning your stairs or your car, then you should definitely check out Bissell’s 1985 cordless hand vacuum.
- Portable and easy to maneuver, this lightweight vacuum is perfect for cleaning carpeted stairs
- It can be used to reach all of the hard to reach spots in your home or car for a perfect cleaning job
- The device is cordless, so you are not restricted by a cord and can take it anywhere to clean up the mess
- The vacuum comes with a variety of attachments and tools
- There is an onboard extension hose that you can use when you need to reach a hard-to-reach area
- There is a powerful motorized brush roll that will lift any pet or human hair from the carpet and upholstery, no matter how deep it has embedded itself
- The vacuum also has an onboard crevice brush and a dust brush, so you will have every tool handy as you clean
- It also has an extension wand included
- The unit is lightweight and has an ergonomic design which makes it suitable even for people with weak hands or with back, waist or other problems
- The vacuum is powered by a 15V Li-ion battery which has a runtime of up to 15 minutes of continuous powerful suction
- The battery is removable which gives you various charging options
- The dirt cup has a capacity of 0.4 liters and emptying it is easy and mess-free
- The unit is 5.4 x 10 x 14.6 inches in size and weighs just 3.9 lbs.
Related: Most Wanted Cordless Vacuums in 2021
If you are shopping for a light and comfortable handheld vacuum for carpeted stairs but really want to buy one with serious power, then the Black+Decker BDH2000PL is an excellent option for you.
- It is cordless and thus much easier to move around with
- It is powered by a 20V Lithium-Ion Max Battery which provides amazing fade-free suction for efficient cleaning
- The vacuum features an exclusive wide pivoting nozzle which further increases the cleaning and suction power
- The pivoting nozzle can be adjusted to any position so you can get every hair and speck of dust no matter where it is and how difficult it is to reach
- The vacuum comes with a convenient charging station which can be used for storing the unit as well
- It has a high-performance motor just like most other Black+Decker power tools do
- The unit has an onboard crevice tool and a brush for easy access while you are cleaning
- The Cyclonic suction feature moves the debris and dust away from the filter to ensure that the suction stays strong as you clean
- It has a 3-stage filtration system that captures and traps all allergens inside the vacuum and out of the air you breathe – excellent for allergic people or those suffering from respiratory problems like asthma
- The dust bowl capacity is 15 oz. and it is easy to empty without a mess
- The dust bowl is very easy to remove and is washable and so is the filter
- The size of the product is 18 x 6.9 x 6.8 inches, and it weighs 3.8 lbs.
The Bissel Cleanview Deluxe 47R51 is another affordable, powerful and easy to lift and use a hand-held vacuum which is perfect for cleaning stairs, your car as well as furniture, spills and all kinds of surfaces.
- It is powered by a 4 amp motor, so you can be sure that every piece of dirt and dust will be suctioned up easily and efficiently
- It has a comfortable and ergonomic curved handle with a power switch at the end for easy access and convenient cleaning
- The dust cup is easy to empty and doesn’t require that you buy bags
- The vacuum has a multi-filtration system including a HEPA Media filter to keep the allergens in the dust cup and out of the air you breathe
- The device is sold with a rubber contour nozzle, a wide-mouth tool, a hose-adaptor nozzle, a crevice tool, and a 2-foot hose – all at a very reasonable price
- It has a long 18-foot power cord and comes with a cord wrap system for neat and convenient storage
- The size of the vacuum is 10 x 5 x 8 inches, so it is easy to carry, use and store away
If you want to make sure you are making a good choice when picking a vacuum for your stairs, then you may want to try out the Holife Cordless Vacuum, because it comes with a 45 day money back guarantee as well as a 12 month warranty, so you can rest assured that you have spent your money wisely and can get it back if you are not completely satisfied with it.
- A powerful 90W motor which provides strong suction and enables the vacuum to suck in all of the dust and debris and even microscopic particles as small as 0.1 microns from your stairs, upholstery or other
- The cordless handheld vacuum is powered by 2200mAh Li-Ion batteries which have a runtime of up to 30 minutes of continuous cleaning
- The dust container has a capacity of 600ml, which will fit all of the dust, debris, pet hair from cleaning the stairs and your home without the need to stop to empty it
- The dust container is easy to remove, empty and keep clean
- It has a multi-stage filtering system, the first one holds the larger debris, the next one is for the smaller particles and dust, and there is a washable filter to keep the allergens out of the air
- It comes with 3 additional accessories including a rubber jar brush that can suck up to 100ml of liquid, which is perfect for spills and accidents
- The other accessories included with the vacuum include a crevice tool, a dusting brush, a clean brush, 2 washable filters, a charging station, and the rubber jar tool
- Thanks to the fast charging technology, you can fully recharge the batteries for only 45 minutes
- It has intelligent power management which provides protection against overcharging, overheating, over-voltage, input current and overall protection guaranteeing the safety of the device
- The vacuum has been tested to work for at least 500 cyclic charging times which makes it one of the most durable battery powered vacuums on the market
- It operates quietly at a sound level lower than 78dB
- Its size is 17.1 x 7.5 x 6.1 inches, and it weighs 3.27 lbs.
- It is affordable and sold with a 45-day money back guarantee as well as a 1-year warranty
Related: Top Picks for Handheld Vacuums
Shark DuoClean Upright Vacuum for Carpet and Hard Floor Cleaning with Lift-Away Hand Vacuum, HEPA Filter, and Anti-Allergy Seal (NV771), Black/Red
This is another 2-in-1 vacuum cleaner which is a perfect choice for those of you who don’t want to spend money and don’t have space for a regular vacuum cleaner and a hand-held vacuum for carpeted stairs and other cleaning tasks.
- A highly efficient Duo Clean Technology which uses a bristle brush for carpet deep cleaning and a soft brush roll for cleaning and polishing hard floors
- The vacuum has an easy to use lift-away feature which is very convenient when vacuuming stairs, difficult to reach areas and cars
- The complete seal technology will suck in and trap all dust mites, pet hair, dander, pollen, and other allergens from the floor or other surfaces and will keep them out of the air in your home
- The vacuum has a brush roll garage for easy access and nifty storage
- It has easy to maneuver swivel steering as well as headlights to see each and every crumb, piece of dirt or hair on the floor or other surface
- The vacuum comes with a Pet Multi-Tool, a dust crevice tool and an option for onboard storage of the accessories for easy access and neat storage
- The vacuum is 10 x 9.5 x 45 inches in size and weighs 13 lbs.
- Powered by Dyson’s digital 6V motor this is the most powerful handheld vacuum on the market
- It has 2 tier radial cyclones including 15 cyclones which work together to capture more fine dust and particles and to increase the airflow as you are cleaning
- It has a convenient mini-motorized tool which can pick up pet hair and stubborn dirt and debris from your carpeted stairs, your upholstery, your car, and from any other surface
- This vacuum is specially designed for homes with pets, but the model is also available for babies, for car and boat use, for mattress cleaning and trigger
- The other tools which come with the vacuum are a combination tool, a crevice tool, and a stiff bristle brush
- The battery provides up to 20 minutes of powerful continuous suction, and the trigger grip prevents the loss of battery power, so it is used only when the vacuum is cleaning
- The vacuum has a Max power mode which provides 6 minutes of extremely powerful suction for very difficult cleaning tasks
- The dirt bin is easy to empty hands-free
- The vacuum is sold with a 2-year warranty
- It is 8.2 x 5.7 x 15.6 inches in size and weighs only 3.4 lbs.
If you prefer to use an upright vacuum for the overall cleaning and a handheld one when cleaning the carpeted stairs, the difficult-to-reach spots, and your car, you may want to take a closer look at this inexpensive and yet excellent 2-in-1 vacuum for carpeted stairs by Bestek.
- A 2-in-1 device – this vacuum can be used with a stick to clean the floors and carpets, as well as an ultra-light handheld vacuum for cleaning the stairs, the furniture, your car, or others
- The vacuum has a HEPA filtration system which will trap even the microscopic allergens inside the dust can rather than releasing them in the air
- The vacuum is lightweight so you can easily maneuver it and carry it around the house without too much effort
- The motorized swivel head can turn at 170 degrees so that you pick up every single crumb, hair or other dirt from the ground or any other surface
- It glides smoothly both on carpeted and on hard floors and surfaces
- It has an onboard crevice tool, which you can easily attach and use as you are cleaning
- The dust container is 0.8 liters, and it and the filter are easy to remove and clean
- The power cord is 16.5 feet long
- The size of the vacuum is 43.4 x 10 x 5.4 inches, and it weighs just 3.7 lbs.
Related: Top-Rated Corded Stick Vacuums
Tips for vacuuming carpeted stairs
If you have stairs at home and if they are carpeted, then you know what we mean when we say that vacuuming carpeted stairs is one of the most dreaded and dangerous cleaning tasks there is.
Not only is it hard to do without the right tools and technology, but going up and down the stairs with a vacuum cleaner can actually be pretty dangerous as well, if you don’t take the necessary precautions.
Still, due to the fact that the stairs are one of the areas at home which have the highest traffic, regular vacuuming is a must, especially if you have pets, children or people suffering from allergies or respiratory problems at home.
- Use the right vacuum cleaner
As you can see from our extensive list of the leading vacuums for carpeted stairs, there are certain vacuum cleaners which are better suited for this task than others. The most important features of vacuums suitable for cleaning stairs are their light weight and their ease of use and maneuvering. Cleaning the carpeting on the stairs is not the same as cleaning the carpet on the floor. You will need a vacuum which can easily reach the corners, clean both horizontally and vertically, and which can remove any pet hair, allergens, and debris from your stairs.
You can opt for a cordless vacuum if you like the freedom of cleaning completely cord-free, or you can choose a corded one if you don’t want to worry about the batteries dying on you in the middle of a cleaning job. For stairs, a cordless vacuum is a safer choice because you won’t be at risk of tripping over the cord as you are focusing on the cleaning job.
There are also specialized handheld vacuums in our list which are excellent for cleaning stairs, cars and other surfaces above the ground. And then there are vacuums which can be used both for cleaning the carpets and floors and as handheld vacuums great for cleaning stairs too.
Choosing a light, easy to carry, comfortable to hold, and efficient vacuum will turn the task of vacuuming the stars from a dreaded one into an easy and effortless one.
- Pick up the larger objects and debris
Before starting to vacuum the stairs, pick up any objects or visible large debris from the carpet. This will ensure that the vacuum doesn’t get stuck or clogged up and that you don’t trip on any objects lying around.
Also, dust the skirting or handrails before you begin so that you can get all of the dust as it falls to the ground once you start cleaning the stairs.
- Clean the corners
As you probably have noticed, most of the dust and dirt on carpeted stairs tends to get stuck in the corners. This is why you should pick a vacuum for carpeted stairs that has an additional nozzle for corners or crevices. Start cleaning the corners from the bottom as move up to the top of the stairs. Thoroughly clean the corners on your way up, and then go through those hard-to-get areas once again as move down.
- Vacuum both ways
Now that you are done with the corners, choose a wider nozzle for the vacuum and start working your way up by running the cleaning head slowly over each step. Once you have vacuumed the flat carpeted surfaces, turn the nozzle upright and start cleaning the vertical parts of the stairs as well with up and down motions. Do this for all of the steps. A motorized brush roller is the best type of nozzle to use for carpeted stairs because it digs deep in the carpet pile and gets all of the hair and debris stuck in it. If you have a pet, it is a good idea to invest in a vacuum which has a specialized pet cleaning nozzle, which will ensure that you get all of the pet hair and dander out of the carpet as well.
- Regularly empty the dust can and clean the filter
Make sure that the dust can is empty before you start cleaning. In case you notice that it is getting full, stop, and empty it. This is why getting a vacuum cleaner with a larger volume of dust can is a good idea or a vacuum which has an easy to empty dust container.
Also, take the time to wash or replace the filters before cleaning to ensure that the air is dust and allergen-free during and after the vacuuming.
Here are some other tips to make vacuuming stairs with carpets even easier
- Vacuum the stairs regularly, in order to prevent the buildup of dust and debris which is harder to clean
- Choose a lightweight vacuum
- If you can, use a brush to brush the carpet before you start vacuuming in order to get the dust out. This is not necessary if you have a powerful vacuum with a good motorized brush
- If you are afraid of tripping – go cordless
- If possible, mount the detachable vacuum on your back to keep both of hands-free for safety reasons
As you can see, there are so many excellent vacuums for carpeted stairs which can make your life so much easier. It is essential to pay attention to the small details when picking a suitable vacuum for the stairs because it is a matter not only of comfort and cleanliness but of safety as well.
We have picked the leading vacuums for carpeted stairs for you to choose from. All of them are lightweight, easy to use with one hand, and are safe.
They are also very efficient for deep cleaning the carpeting, and you can use them for other cleaning tasks at home as well, including cleaning the floors, furniture, upholstery, and even your car.
We hope that we have helped you pick the greatest vacuum for cleaning stairs and that soon you will realize that this task is not as arduous and dreaded as you thought before starting to use the appropriate type of vacuum cleaner.