Remember how as a kid, you could just go out and stand under the rain whenever you wanted, and no one would bat an eye? Try doing that as an adult, and you might find at least a few dozen eyes staring at you. Nonetheless, we all love the feeling of letting the rain shower on us and standing under it without qualms.
The easiest way to replicate this feeling, in today’s age, is to install a rain showerhead in your bathroom. Yes, hardware advancements have made it possible to create artificial rain in your own home. Rain showerheads are different from traditional showerheads in their size and structure. They release a vertical flow of water down, unlike the traditional showerheads that release something similar to a jet stream. They come with small holes plugged in the showerhead, which becomes the outlet of water. Standing under this umbrella of water holes is as good as standing under an actual rain shower.
Rain showerheads are an elegant addition to your bathroom and one that won’t break the bank. Also, they are much more fun since they imitate the feeling of getting soaked under naturally falling rain. Not to mention the luxurious look they lend to space due to their style and design.
Best rain showerheads come in different sizes and styles and function differently. Let’s take a look at the five best rain showerheads currently available in the market.
Best Rain Showerhead
Classified according to what their best feature is, here are the top 5 rain showerheads you should consider for your bathroom depending on your requirements. These are listed with their features, advantages, and drawbacks to make your work easier.
- Best Overall Rain Showerhead: SUN RISE SRSH-F5043 A dual-function and elegant rain showerhead by SUN RISE that’s available in two sizes and throws a powerful water spray.
- Best Budget Rain Showerhead: Clarita Home 12-Inch Rainfall Shower Head Has a large showerhead and throws a powerful spray. It is easy to install with strong construction and is adjustable according to the height.
- Best Designed Showerhead: HotelSpa Giant 10″ Square Showerhead One of the lowest priced models, it is extremely stylish and is used by most hotels and spas in their showers.
- Best Small Rain Showerhead: ShowerMaxx Luxury Shower Head A perfect fit for small spaces, this ShowerMaxx showerhead is an attractive budget option. It looks attractive and it has a powerful water throw.
- Best Advanced Rain Showerhead: Hansgrohe 27474001 Raindance Downpour AIR Showerhead A comparatively more expensive showerhead in the market, this is an advanced version with multiple technologies to make it one of the best rain showerheads.
Best Overall Rain Showerhead
Available in two sizes, this is a dual-functional stylish and sleek rain showerhead that is known for its powerful spray even at a low pressure of water. It is wall mounted and has a ten layer chrome plated finish with sturdy construction. The showerhead is made of stainless steel while the handheld shower arm is made of brass.
- 10-inch stainless steel rain showerhead
- 15.7-inch brass shower arm
- Comes with a pressure balancing shower-mixer valve
- Ten layer chrome plated finish
- Uses high-pressure technology
- Lifetime warranty
- 5 years replacement offer
- Has an attractive look due to the chrome-plated finish
- Has a powerful water pressure
- The pressure can be adjusted with the pressure-balancing valve
- Is dual-functional handheld showerhead and overhead rain showerhead
- Can be too large for small spaces
- Both showers cannot be used simultaneously
Buy It Here
The SR SUN RISE SRSH-F5043 10 Inch Bathroom Luxury Rain Showerhead is available for purchase in the market and can be bought for $199.90 on Amazon.
Best Budget Rain Showerhead
This is the best rain showerhead you can get in a limited budget. It throws a powerful spray due to a large showerhead structure. It is easy to install and has a robust stainless steel construction. It can be mounted on the ceiling as well as the wall, depending on your preference. The angle of the showerhead can be adjusted as per the height of the individual.
- Can be both wall and ceiling mounted
- 12 x 12-inch square showerhead
- 196 water nozzles in the showerhead
- 2.5 gpm water flow
- Has a swivel head for angle adjustment
- Stainless steel chrome finish
- The oversized showerhead covers a larger area
- Is extremely elegant and stylish
- The angle can be adjusted using the swivel head
- Is cost effective
- Made of high-quality stainless steel material
- Does not come with a shower arm
- The water pressure can’t be adjusted
Buy It Here
The Clarita Home 12 Inch Rainfall Shower Head is available for purchase in the market and can be bought for $44.94 on Amazon.
Best Designed Showerhead
One of the lowest priced models, this HotelSpa rainfall showerhead comes with an ultra-elegant design and gives you a luxurious experience. It has a shiny chrome-plated finish and is as sleek as it can be. The showerhead is made from stainless steel and can be adjusted as per the height and angle needed.
- Available in two different sizes — 8 inches and 10 inches
- 100 water nozzles
- Stainless steel showerhead
- Solid brass ball joint nut
- Brass extension arm along with the showerhead
- Lifetime warranty
- Ultra-thin showerhead giving it a sleek look
- The jets are easy to clean
- The brass ball joint nut ensures a strong connection
- The angle of the showerhead can be adjusted
- A strong stainless steel construction lends it a sturdy body
- The water coverage might not be that strong
Buy It Here
The HotelSpa Giant 10″ Stainless Steel Rainfall Square Showerhead with Solid Brass Adjustable Extension Arm is available for purchase in the market and can be bought on Amazon for $29.87.
Best Small Rain Showerhead
Not everyone has a space large enough to accommodate a 12-inch showerhead. Therefore, if you are tight on space, the ShowerMaxx Luxury Spa Grade showerhead is the perfect fit for you. It is just 6 inches wide so it fits in a small space. It also provides a uniform water spray that is just as strong as the other large rain showerheads.
- A 6-inch showerhead
- 90 high-pressure water nozzles
- 2.5 gpm water flow
- Fitted mesh sand filter
- Comes with a removable flow restrictor
- Teflon plumbing tape included
- The showerhead is made of ABS material
- Easily fitted in small spaces
- Adjustable ball joint helps in getting the perfect angle for the shower
- The jet nozzles are silicon-based and are self-cleaning
- The overall feel is extremely stylish and luxurious
- Performs well even in low water pressure situations
- Does not come with a shower arm
- Can only be wall mounted
Buy It Here
The ShowerMaxx Luxury Spa Grade Rainfall High-Pressure Shower Head is available for purchase on Amazon for $35.97.
Best Advanced Rain Showerhead
This is one of the options from the more expensive showerheads available in the market due to its advanced features and a strong brand name. It has 180 spray nozzles and uses AirPower technology for a powerful water throw. It has a sturdy metal body and a chrome-plated spray disc. It offers an intense rainfall shower experience and has a soft but powerful water flow due to the AirPower technology used.
- A large showerhead measuring 9.375 inches
- Fully chrome-plated spray disc
- QuickClean anti-calcification function
- Uses AirPower technology that throws air with the water flow
- The showerhead can rotate 26 degrees in any direction
- 2.5 gpm water flow rate
- 180 silicon spray nozzles
- A large showerhead that offers full coverage
- The QuickClean anti-calcification function makes cleaning very easy
- The AirPower technology results in soft water flow albeit powerful
- RainAir spray mode offers a rain-like shower with water droplets that are air infused
- 26-degree swivel in any direction helps in adjusting the angle
- Relatively more expensive than other showerheads in the market
- Does not come with a handheld shower arm
Buy It Here
The Hansgrohe 27474001 Raindance Downpour AIR Showerhead is available for purchase on Amazon for $309.55.
Difference Between a Rain Showerhead and a Traditional Showerhead
There is a significant difference between a rain showerhead and a traditional showerhead, mainly in terms of structural design and the area they cover.
Typically, rain showerheads are larger and take up more space than the traditional showerheads. This is primarily because of the purpose they serve which is a rain-like shower that needs a thorough coverage. A larger showerhead ensures that there is shoulder-to-shoulder coverage.
The price of the showerhead can be a big differentiator. Rain showerheads tend to be costlier than the traditional showerheads owing to their functionality and variations in design and style. However, there are multiple options to choose from.
In a lot of cases, the water pressure of a traditional showerhead is more than that of a rain showerhead. A traditional showerhead offers a jet-like stream of water while the rain showerhead is designed to throw a softer rain-like shower.
Factors to Consider Before Buying
Multiple factors need to be considered before buying a rain showerhead for your bathroom. Choosing one can be a confusing task considering the number of options available in the market. Take a look at some factors you should keep in mind while deciding on the best rain showerhead for your place.
It’s no surprise that rain showerheads take up a lot of space. An average rain showerhead measures around 10 inches to grant it more surface area. However, there are smaller versions available too, like a 6-inch rain showerhead that takes lesser space. Therefore, keep in mind the area you have in the bathroom while buying a rain showerhead.
Make sure that the showerhead you buy is easy to install and comes with all the materials and accessories that are needed for it to run smoothly. As much as possible, look for a rain showerhead that’s easy to install by yourself so that you can save on the cost of calling a professional for installation.
This could be a deciding factor when you are buying a rain showerhead. This is a subjective factor, though. Normally, rain showerheads have a 2.5 gallon-per-minute water flow which works well with most people. For those who like a higher pressure usually opt for a traditional showerhead. Do remember though, a high water flow rate also means more energy consumption.
How to Install a Rain Showerhead
Some rain showerheads are extremely easy to install and can be done without the assistance of a professional mechanic. However, some are too complicated to be handled as a DIY project. You have two options when you buy a rain showerhead — you either buy all the tools and fix it yourself or go ahead and call for professional services. The latter, though costs a lot, ensures that the showerhead is fixed properly and runs smoothly.
Most rain showerheads measure 10-12 inches and can be fitted onto an existing half-inch thick standard waterline. All you need is Teflon tape, that too, most products have it included in their package. The key to remember is the measurement of the showerhead against the size of the space you are fitting it into.
In case you are buying an advanced rain showerhead that is ceiling mounted and uses a large arm, it’s best to call a professional plumber and get it fixed lest you should risk damaging any part.
Rain showerheads are a blessing for people who love the feeling of standing under the rain and wish to take a relaxing shower first thing in the morning or after coming back from work. With so many options available in the market, it has also become an affordable option against traditional showerheads. We have listed here some of the best rain showerheads and explained in detail how you should go about deciding which one to buy. Pick one that suits your requirements the best and enjoy the soothing rain showers in your home!
Last update on 2020-12-04 at 20:23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API