Best Point and Shoot Camera
With a point and shoot camera, you will never again miss the opportunity to take the perfect picture at the right moment. These compact, easy to use and feature-packed cameras are becoming increasingly popular. We have picked the Fujifilm X100F as our top choice for the best point and shoot camera for 2020. Along with it, we have compiled our ultimate top 10 list of the best cameras of this type for 2020. Read on to find out more about these amazing devices, which can easily turn a complete newbie into a photography guru.
Our top choice for the absolute best point and shoot camera for 2020 is a top line, retro-styled camera with some stunning features and top quality results.
It is a compact camera that is much loved both by professional photographers and by enthusiasts.
Available in three color options – black, silver and brown, this small-sized point and shoot camera is a joy to the eye.
The X100F has a 24.3MP X-Trans CMOS III APS-C sensor with an X-Processor Pro periodic color filter which eliminates the need for a low-pass filter. This sensor has been specially designed for the X series offered by Fujifilm. The X-Pro processor is 4 times faster than those used in the previous models offered by the Japanese tech giant.
The sharp, wide aperture lens is 35mm, f/2 and you can manually focus any object to up to 325 focus points for brilliant pictures and results. This camera is the first one in the range to have such a dedicated Focus lever which can move in 8 directions for perfect focusing.
The X100F point and shoot camera also has an extremely fast and accurate AF mode for taking perfect pictures and capturing the perfect moment in time. Thanks to its ultra-fast shutter you can get the best exposure even in the brightest settings and when shooting with an open aperture.
If you want full discretion, you can shut the shutter sound off completely.
Its viewfinder is a clever hybrid optical EVF with 2.4 million dots and the 3-inch monitor has an amazing 1,040,000 dots.
The retro Fujifilm camera has an ISO dial which is built in the shutter speed dial for easy access and use. The sensitivity range can be boosted to a stunning ISO12800.
The maximum burst speed is 8fps, and the maximum resolution is 1080p so if you are looking for a point and shoot camera with 4K video, you should opt for another one from our top 10 list which flaunts this feature.
You can shoot JPEGS or Raw images and can process them via the useful Film Simulation modes pre-integrated in this excellent camera. You can treat one or more images at once with the wide range of effects from the popular Fujifilm film emulsions. There are 15 Film simulation modes including Velvia/Vivid, PROVIA/Standard and ASTIA/Soft. The camera is also the first to have an ACROS function which delivers smooth gradation, amazing textures, and deep blacks.
The Fujifilm camera also has 8 great filters including a High key filter for low contrast and brighter tones, a fun Toy Camera filter for a retro look, a Partial Color filter to enhance a specific color range and turn the rest of the image into a black and white one, and many more.
It has an operating temperature from 32 to 104 degrees Fahrenheit and works with a lithium battery. The size of the camera is 3.9 x 7 x 6.9 inches, and it weighs 2 lbs.
Overall the X100F is the perfect solution for documentary and street photography. It is also a beautiful camera to show off, so if you want a point and shoot camera which combines the perfect looks with the top picture quality and features – the Fujifilm 100F could be the best option available in 2020 for you.
It is one of the smallest and slimmest cameras in our list, and if you need a point and shoot camera which you can easily carry in your pocket or anywhere with you – this one could be the best option for you. In fact, it weighs only 7.3 ounces.
It is much less expensive than our overall top choice but is still an excellent camera suitable for both beginners and for intermediate photographers.
The PowerShot G9 is a very compact point and shoot camera with a minimalist design and an incredible 1 inch, 20.1MP, high-sensitivity CMOS sensor. The sensor is paired with wide angle lens (28-84mm) and a maximum aperture of f/2 – 4.9.
With this point and shoot camera, you won’t get a viewfinder, but it has a large 3 inch LCD capacitive touchscreen display on the back which you can use to manually adjust, focus and tweak the image you are about to take. The display has 1,040 dots.
The Canon PowerShot G9 has a Full HD maximum video resolution, so once again, it is not a 4K video camera, if this is what you are looking for.
The maximum continuous shooting speed of this top quality point and shoot camera is 8.2 fps. It also has a nifty dual Sensing IS to minimize blur in case of shaking or moving while taking pictures.
You can choose among 8 preset picture style options or you can download other styles or create your own one with the Picture Style Editor. The camera has in-camera RAW conversion which will allow you to process your images without the need to transfer them to a computer. Once you are done with the adjustments you just need to save the edited image as a jpeg file and you are set to go.
The camera has a Digic 7 image processor which is compatible with Android and iOS devices. You can transfer your photos and videos directly to your smartphone or another device via the integrated Bluetooth 2 wireless connection and the NFC connectivity which will pair the camera with an NFC enabled device in a matter of seconds.
Overall, this camera by Canon is one of our favorites because it is not too expensive, it has a massive number of features, it is very easy to use, it is fast and will help even a newbie take the perfect pictures every time.
Best bang for the buck
Our top budget choice for 2020 when it comes to point and shoot cameras is an amazing bundle which will be the perfect gift for any beginner or intermediate photographer.
The set costs just over $150 but it includes the amazing Canon PowerShot ELPH 180, along with a SanDisk 32GB memory card, a memory card wallet, a tabletop tripod, a camera case a screen protector, a card reader, a lithium-ion battery pack and charger and a wrist strap.
The PowerShot ELPH 180 is a 20.0MP digital camera with a 1/2.3 inch Ccd sensor and a Digic 4+ image processor. It has an 8x optical zoom lens with a 28-224mm aperture.
On the rear side, you will find a 2.7 inch LC display with 230K dots. The camera can record video with a 720p HD resolution at 25 fps. The continuous shooting speed is 2.2 fps.
For those who are complete newbies, the smart auto and the smart zoom features of the small-sized Canon PowerShot ELPH 180 will be of great help and will allow you to take great pictures even without any previous experience with photography.
The camera also will help neutralize and minimize shaking via the Digital IS feature. So, you will end up with sharper and clearer images even when shooting while walking or moving.
There are several pre-integrated scene modes to adjust your pictures, including Toy Camera, Fisheye and Monochrome, so you can play around and experiment with your photos.
To reduce power consumption, you can use the ECO mode of this affordable point and shoot camera. This will help prolong the battery life and is especially useful when you are traveling or outdoors all day and want to have a camera handy for any situation.
The camera by Canon is only 7.2 x 5.8 c 5.4 inches in size and weighs 1lb. so you can literally carry it anywhere with you and be sure that you will have it handy when a picture worthy moment occurs.
The rest of our favorite point and shoot cameras for 2020
If you want the perfect point and shoot camera with just about all the bells and whistles, you should consider buying the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II. It features some seriously advanced features, raw shooting, and various manual control options.
- A 1 inch, 20.1MP CMOS sensor for high-quality images and a dynamic range
- The lens are 24-100mm (f/1.8 – 2.8)
- A 3-inch touchscreen with 1.04 million dots which can be conveniently tilted up to 180 degrees and down to 45 degrees making this camera a superb option for selfies and taking pictures at low or high angles
- A maximum continuous shooting speed of 8fps which is available in RAW, JPEG as well as RAW+JPEG modes
- Full HD maximum video resolution
- It has both TTL autofocus as well as manual focus options via the lens control ring
- The camera can work safely and reliable in temperatures from 32-104 degrees Fahrenheit
- It has 8 preset picture styles including: faithful, landscape, auto, monochrome, standard, fine detail and natural
- Thanks to the integrated Wi-Fi, you can post your images directly to social media or media websites
- It also offers NFC connectivity for connecting to compatible devices seamlessly
- The camera is compatible with iOS (9.3 and above) and Android (4 and above)
- Its size is 1.65 x 2.4 x 4.15 inches, and its weight is only 0.7 lbs.
- It has the first 20.1MP 1 inch Exmor RS stacked, back-illuminated CMOS sensor
- Offers 4K resolution video recording with no pixel binning and with direct pixel readout
- A super slow-motion movie feature with a 3 high frame rate of up to 960 fps
- Can be used in temperatures ranging from 32 up to 104 degrees Fahrenheit
- An anti-distortion shutter which works at a super speed of up to 1/32000sec and up to 16 fps
- Top-quality, bright Zeiss Vario Sonnar T lens f/18-28 (24-70mm)
- A fast and smart autofocus
- A retractable OLED Tru-Finder viewfinder
- A 3 inch sharp, multi-angle, tilting display with 1,040 000 dots, perfect for selfies and taking photos from all kinds of angles
- Easy connectivity to smartphones and devices via Wi-Fi and NFC for a cable-free communication and transfer of photos and videos
- A dual record feature for 168MP photo while shooting video
- A focal length of 8.8-25.7mm
- NTSC switchable
- Various nifty PlayMemories Camera Apps compatible with this one are available to make photo editing, transferring, customizing options and other features much easier and very customizable
- A small size of 4 x 1.6 x 2.8 inches and a weight of 1.1 lbs.
- A 24.2MP full-frame CMOS sensor
- A Leica Maestro II processor for the images
- Leica Summilux lens (28mm, f/1.7 ASPH)
- Up to ISO 50,000
- An LCOS 3.68MP electronic viewfinder which activates immediately when you bring it to your eye
- A 3-inch touchscreen LCD display with 1,040k dots
- Video recording in Full HD, MP4, and stereo sound recording in AAC formats
- Continuous shooting up to 10 fps at full resolution
- You can shoot pictures in JPG and in DNG RAW formats
- You can set most of the settings via the touchscreen display on the back of the camera
- Unique and useful Focus peaking and Live View Zoom features for assisting you when focusing manually
- A highly efficient face detection AF feature
- Built-in Wi-Fi for instant photo sharing or transfers
- The camera also has NFC connectivity
- You can control the camera remotely via the Leica app which is great for long exposures and for shooting from unusual angles
- Made of top quality materials – a solid aluminum block, magnesium finish, and laser engraved markings
- The design makes the camera easy to grip for steady focusing and for safety
- The dimensions of the camera are 5.1 x 3.1 x 3.7 inches, and it weighs 1.3 lbs.
- Sold with a 2-year warranty by Leica
- Also included in the box is a camera strap, a lens hood, lens cap, battery, charger, power cable, and USB cable.
Another high-end point and shoot camera which has specifications which no other compact camera has, the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1 RII is definitely a camera for serious photography enthusiasts and professionals.
- An incredible 42.4MP full-frame back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor paired with a powerful BIONZ X processing engine
- 3mm f/2 Carl Zeiss Sonnar lens with a unique macro capability for focusing on objects as close as 5.5 inches
- An option for selecting an optical variable low-pass filter, which is completely unique and allows for the adjustment and customization of the moiré in the picture, you can turn it to off, standard and high
- A fast hybrid AF with 399 focal plane detection points
- A retractable OLED Tru-Finder viewfinder with 2.4 million dots and an XGA resolution and a Zeiss T coating
- A tilting 3 inch LCD screen with 1.28 million dots
- A maximum burst speed of 5 fps
- Maximum video resolution – Full HD in XAVC S format
- You can store images in compressed and uncompressed RAW format
- Easy to connect to smartphones and other devices via Wi-Fi or NFC
- An array of added features and functions can be accessed via the PlayMemories app for Android or iOS devices
- A size of 8 x8 x 5 inches, and a weight of 2.45 lbs.
- A 17MP multi-aspect high sensitivity Four Thirds MOS sensor which has 4:3, 3:2, 16:9 and 1:1 aspect modes
- Leica DC Vario Summilux 24-75mm f1.7-2.8 lens with an Optical Image Stabilizer
- Capable of recording 24p/30p 4k video
- Exclusive 4k photo modes and a focus stacking feature
- An electronic viewfinder with 2,274k dots
- A 3-inch touch display with 1240k dots
- Continuous shooting speed of up to 11fps
- Features classic manual external camera and exposure operation controls very close to the DSLR like photo experience
- Integrated Bluetooth 4.2, Wi-Fi 4GHz for remote shutter release and video shooting
- Control of the camera functions via the Panasonic Image app for iOS or Android
- A premium grip and classic design
- ISO Auto, 100-25,600
- A size of 4.52 x 2.61 x 2.17 inches, and a weight of 0.87 lbs.
- A brilliant follow up to the famous Panasonic LX100 from 2014
The Sony RX100 VI is the latest and certainly the best of the RX100 series we have seen so far, and it is definitely worth every dollar you will pay for this clever and capable point and shoot camera. It won the camera of the year award at the DPReview Awards in 2018, and if you read on you will find out why.
- A 20.1MP 1.0 inch stacked Exmor RS CMOS sensor with a sensitivity range of up to ISO 12,800
- Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T lens 24-200mm, f/2.8-f/4.5
- The fastest hybrid AF system in the world (0.03 seconds)
- A long battery life of up to 330 photos and 165 minutes
- It comes with a rechargeable battery pack, a power adaptor, a micro USB cable, and a wrist strap and strap adapter
- The touchscreen, touch shutter display is 3 inches with 921k dots and can be tilted up to 180 degrees and 90 degrees down
- An incredibly clever 2.35 million dot EVF viewfinder pops up with a single action
- A fast continuous shooting speed of 24 fps
- 4k maximum video recording resolution
- Slow motion recording up to 960fps
- An advanced eye autofocus
- High-density tracking AF for fast-moving objects
- Touch focus allows for using your fingers to drag the focus position on the display
- The dimensions of the camera are 4 x 1.7 x 2.29 inches, and it weighs 1.2 lbs.
- A 20.2MP 1 inch Exmor R CMOS back-illuminated sensor perfect for extreme low light shots
- Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T 28-100mm, f/1.8-4.9 lens
- Multiple aspect ratios of 1:1, 2:3, 4:3 and 16:9
- ISO sensitivity range of 160 to 12,800
- Continuous shooting of up to 10 fps
- Maximum video recording resolution of 1080 Full HD 60p/24p
- A 3 inch tilting TFT LCD display with 1,229,000 dots
- Steady shot image stabilization via the Optical Steady Shot feature with 3-way stabilization
- High-speed autofocus thanks to the intelligent BIONZ processor
- Excellent face detection
- A customizable front control ring and an easy to access back control dial
- Comes with an expandable smart accessory shoe to attach an optional viewfinder, flash or microphone
- Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity
- It can capture and store images in JPEG, RAW or RAW+JPEG
- Preset creative style settings include standard, sunset, portrait, black and white, vivid and landscape
- There are also integrated picture effects such as soft focus, posterizing, high contrast, retro, monochrome, miniature, rich tone monochrome, toy camera, soft high key, watercolor painting, pop color, partial color, illustration, and HDR painting
- 4 x 1.51 x 2.29 inches and 0.62 lbs.
- Sold at an excellent price because it is an older model
The Fujifilm X20 is another superb point and shoot camera for enthusiasts which has complete manual control and offers RAW recording.
- 12MP 2/3 inch type X-Trans CMOS II sensor
- EXR Processor II
- 28-112mm f2.0-2.8 lens with a manual 4x optical zoom
- ISO sensitivity range is 100-3200 and can be expanded to 12,800
- A 8-inch display with 460k dots
- Can record videos in 1080 Full HD and 60 fps
- RAW format recording and in-camera RAW conversion
- Complete manual control of all settings
- An advanced optical viewfinder which provides 85% coverage, shooting information overlay and an eye AF sensor
- Automatic and scene picture modes as well as advanced filter modes which you can preview on the display
- 61 x 2.24 x 2.76 inches in size, and 0.78 lbs.
- Built-in stereo microphones
Why buy a point and shoot camera
There are numerous advantages of using a point and shoot camera as opposed to a DSLR camera. Here are some of the main benefits of point and shoot cameras:
They are compact and portable
Most modern point and shoot cameras can literally fit into your pocket. This is great news for everybody who wants to have a camera handy but is not willing to carry a bulky and heavy one around. This is especially useful when traveling, going to parties or other events where you don’t want to carry heavy and large bags.
They are easy to use
Most point and shoot cameras have all automatic features and are set up to take great quality photos without any manual settings and adjustments necessary. This is great news for beginners. There are some point and shoot cameras on our top 10 list which have manual controls, but as we have noted, they are meant for enthusiasts and secondary cameras for professionals.
They are quiet
At least they are quieter than the other cameras which means that you can take photos discretely and without bothering others. This is especially useful for concerts, theaters or other events. Some of them allow for complete switching off of the shutter sound for complete discretion and silence.
They are cheaper
In general, point and shoot compact cameras are less expensive than DSLRs. Even the higher-end ones are still much more affordable than the low and mid-range DSLR cameras. If you are not a professional photographer and don’t need the camera to earn a living, then it makes sense to pay less for a camera which still will allow you to take excellent quality shots and videos, right?
They have displays
Most point and shoot cameras have large displays on the back for better viewing of the objects you are shooting. Some of the models on our list have tiltable displays that are superb for selfies and for taking pictures from a low or high angle. Many of them have touchscreen displays so that you can adjust the image and settings with your fingers.
They have a built-in lens and flashes
Since all of the parts are built-in the camera, you will not have to spend even more money on lenses or flashes. Some of the cameras have built-in microphones for audio recording as well, which means less money for extra gear, and less space for storing it and carrying it around.
Hopefully, our list of the best point and shoot cameras for 2020 has helped you decide which one to buy. All of our top picks are superb cameras with numerous features that will allow you to take much better pictures than you can with your phone. They are also compact, easy to use, and allow for very quick and effortless point and shoot photo capture.
We have picked P&S cameras in all price ranges, and suitable for all photography skill levels, so we are pretty sure that there is a perfect camera for any need in our top 10 list of the best point and shoot cameras for 2020!
So, good luck with your purchase, and enjoy your incredible photos and videos taken with your new point and shoot camera!
Last update on 2021-01-15 at 17:33 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API