If you are an avid music lover or an aspiring music producer, you know just how important it is to get a good set of headphones so that you can enjoy the music in its entirety.
With good quality over-ear headphones, you can achieve excellent surrounding sound isolation. This will allow you to concentrate on the music solely without auditory masking.
Over-ear headphones are also the most comfortable type to wear during long music listening sessions or long hours of audio production work.
But since not everyone is ready to break the bank for a set of high-end headphones, we have compiled a list of the best over-ear headphones under $100 for 2019 for you.
They are a newer version of the classic and most popular studio monitor headphones Sony MDR-V6. MDR stands for Micro dynamic receiver TM.
The Sony MDR7506 maintain a retro and professional look, because they were initially designed, and are still used for studio work and preferred by many audio engineers and editors.
The good news is, they are great for everyday music listening and are lightweight so you can wear them comfortably on the streets.
Read our full review of this model in our Best Studio Headphones Guide
They have foldable hinges, which makes them even more portable. In fact, they can easily fit in an average backpack or bag.
One problem with portability is the overly long coiled studio cable, which is 9.8 feet. Unfortunately, it is not detachable, but it is incredibly durable and can be tied up. It ends with a premium gold plated 3.5mm plug. Also included is a ¼ inch adapter.
Thanks to their design, they cover up the ears entirely and thus provide superb external noise reduction.
Thanks to their isolation qualities, the Sony MDR7506 headphones are an excellent choice for mixing.
They are also an exceptional choice for people who are looking for the best over-ear headphones costing less than $100.
The headphones are made of plastic because the idea is that they will be worn by professionals all day long and need to be light. They don’t have added padding and memory foam and flaunts a minimalist black style with large ear cups marked L and R for the left and right ears.
Being from nearly 30 years ago, these headphones lack Bluetooth and other state-of-the-art connectivity and other features.
But then, when it comes to sound and with a frequency response of 10Hz to 20kHz, they are absolutely brilliant. In fact, the mids and highs which they emphasize so well is what makes them better than the newer commercial headphones that emphasize on a booming bass.
Overall, they may not be of the liking of people who like a lot of bass, and they may not be as portable and offer modern connectivity options like the latest ones on the market, but the Sony MDR7506 over-ear headphones are definitely the best over the ear headphones for less than $100 if you are planning on using them for production. They will let you hear everything perfectly clearly, and thus ensure that the listeners will be able to hear it like that too.
After all, they have been and still are an industry-standard since 1991.
They have a cutting edge construction allowing the ear cups to swivel to 90 degrees, which will enable you to wear them flat to your chest, or use only one ear for listening and monitoring easily.
Their ear cups are designed to fit around the ears seamlessly and comfortably and provide superb sound isolation even when it is particularly noisy around you.
They have 40mm drivers with copper-clad aluminum wire voice coils and rare earth magnets. This makes them pretty large over-ear headphones.
Then again, being designed as pro studio headphones, they are made of pro-grade headband and earpad materials, which makes them much more durable and much more comfortable than other headphones on the market. This means they are comfortable for work or play all day long.
The fact is that the ATH-M40x headphones offer professional range monitoring for a price that is lower than many of the commercial models available.
They are sold with two detachable cables – one is a 3.9-9.8 ft. coiled cable and a 9.8 ft. straight one. Also, in the package there is a convenient carrying pouch and a ¼ inch screw-on adaptor for the 3.5mm plugs of the cables.
They do not have modern features like Bluetooth connectivity, a microphone or remote, but the ATH-M40x were designed and made for listening to and producing music rather than for having phone conversations.
The headphones provide an amazingly accurate sound across the entire frequency range, which makes them one of the best options for under $100 for simply listening to music or for monitoring.
Best budget-friendly option
They are affordably priced and offer up to 20 hours of wireless playtime. They connect via Bluetooth and maintain a reliable connection within a range of up to 12 meters from the device.
If you prefer, you can plug them in via the included 3.5mm AUX cable for a non-stop listening experience.
They are comfortable to wear as they are lightweight, and their ear cups and the headband have memory foam cushioning covered with soft faux leather.
The circumaural headphones have 40mm drivers, professionally tuned audio and aptX hi-fi, and Hi-res sound.
Unfortunately, they are not too good as isolating the surrounding sounds.
Then again, they have a built-in microphone and remote control, so you can use them for talking hands-free calls as well.
The headphones are foldable and easy to store in the added sturdy travel case.
Furthermore, in the package, you will find the optional AUX audio cable, a micro USB charging cable, and an attractive 18 free warranty by Vortex.
Overall, with a fantastic battery life of up to 20 hours, and an option for plugging them in, and given the price they are offered for, these Soundcore Vortex over year headphones by Anker are an exceptional deal. Especially if you are not particularly fussy about perfect noise isolation and do not expect 100% perfect sounding.
They are particularly suitable for video streaming thanks to their lag-free aptX Bluetooth support and are a great choice if you have a limited budget, but what a well-rounded set of over-ear headphones.
The rest of the best over-ear headphones for under $100
If you want over the ear headphones for long music listening sessions that don’t cost more than $100, then the Sennheiser HD280PRO over-ear headphones are possibly the best choice when it comes to sound quality and comfort.
- They cost less than $100
- Circumaural ear coupling
- A light weight of 1.28 lbs. together with the cable
- Single-sided coiled cord with a length of 3.3-9.8 feet
- Padded ear cups and around the ear design
- A frequency response of 8Hz to 25kHz so they are capable of reproducing sounds that the normal human ear is incapable of hearing
- Accurate, linear reproduction of sound
- Up to 32 dB attenuation of ambient sounds thanks to the dynamic stereo closed-ear design
- Extended frequency response for a natural and warm sound reproduction
- A foldable design and swiveling earcups for easy portability and comfort
- All parts – the ear pads, the padding on the headband and the cord are replaceable, which will prolong the life of these headphones
- The pads are made of soft synthetic leather and are very comfortable to wear for long hours
- Designed and made for both home and studio listening and monitoring
- The size of the headphones is 9.6 x 7.4 x 3.3 inches
- Sleek and modern design
- Around ear design with excellent noise isolation
- Fitted with Sennheiser drivers providing a detailed, well-balanced sound and a dynamic bass
- Foldable headband and comes with a protective case for easy portability
- Integrated Bluetooth and aptX codec technologies for exceptional cordless sound quality
- Easy wireless connectivity via NFC
- Easy to access and use controls on the ear cups for skipping and changing tracks, as well as for making calls
- A built-in microphone
- A long-lasting Li-ion polymer battery with a playtime of up to 25 hours
- Compatible with most phones and tablets
- The batteries are charged via a micro USB cable and have overcharging safety prevention
- The dimensions of the headphones are 7.08 x 3.94 x 10.25 inches, and they weigh 7.84-oz.