Are you bewildered by the huge choice of mirrorless cameras on the market? We did quite a bit of research and testing, spoke to a number of professional and enthusiast photographers, and came up with the top 10 best mirrorless cameras for 2019 for you.
Our number one pick is the Panasonic Lumix G9 which is an incredibly good camera, but it is not the only one deserving your attention. So, read on to find out more about the very best mirrorless cameras on the market right now.
The Panasonic Lumix G9 is our overall favorite mirrorless camera for 2019. It is the perfect combination of a beautiful and comfortable to hold camera with excellent image quality and a variety of advanced features.
This is the latest flagship mirrorless camera which has the excellent still shot features of its predecessor but with added video features and an even better image quality.
The Lumix G9 has a 20.3MP Micro Four Thirds Live MOS sensor, with no low-pass filter and a built-in industry leading 6.5 stop image stabilization system. The amazing High-resolution mode of the camera can create files of up to 80MP by combining and overlaying 8 successive images for an image of unbeatable resolution and detail.
The top of the line image stabilization function uses the motion vector and angular velocity data from the gyro sensor of the camera and its accelerometer and image sensor. This is great news for those of you looking for a camera to shoot fast moving sports and activities.
It has a sensitivity range of ISO 100 to 25,600, a maximum video resolution of 4K, and a continuous shooting speed of up to 60 fps which makes it the perfect mirrorless camera for any photography enthusiast.
The camera has a 3 inch, vari-angle touchscreen display. The large illuminated OLED electronic viewfinder has an incredible 3.68 million dot resolution and also offers a magnification of up to x1.66. It runs at a smooth and fast 120fps. This allows for a continuous feed even when shooting live action and using the bust shooting mode. The viewfinder also has a very efficient night time mode and an integrated Auto Focus Point Scope.
The Panasonic Lumix G9 has built-in energy efficient Bluetooth and Wi-Fi which will allow you to stay connected with your smartphone with minimal power consumption.
The best mirrorless camera for 2019 also has two SD card slots which support UHS-II for lightning fast transfer speed.
The camera body is made of top quality magnesium alloy, and it is dust and splash proof. The design and contours of the Lumix G9 make it very easy and comfortable to hold and maintain a safe and stable grip.
It features a top plate LCD display just like the high-end DSLR cameras, where you can monitor the settings like exposure and others easily.
All settings, drive modes, and the mode dial, along with a nifty quick AF joystick are easy to access while shooting.
The AF system implements a 225 area coverage and contrast-detect. It also has an efficient eye and face detection mode for portraits.
The battery life of this mirrorless camera is about 400 shots.
The Lumix G9 is very fairly priced given the quality and multiple features it provides, and also the fact that it is aimed at enthusiasts and semi-pro photographers. Paired with the appropriate lens, this excellent mirrorless camera can help you take the pictures and videos that you always dreamt of shooting!
The Sony a7 III may fall into the “basic” category, but in actuality, it is an extremely capable full frame mirrorless camera. It is a versatile camera which is suitable for all types of photographers and photography.
It flaunts a 24.2MP Full-frame backside illuminated CMOS sensor which performs superbly both in bright light and in low light conditions.
The camera has a 693-point AF system which covers about 93% of the entire frame. It also has an AF joystick or you can use the touchscreen to choose its exact placement.
The a7 III has an additional front end LSI processor which allows it to capture up to 10fps at full auto exposure and autofocus. It can also oversample consecutive images to a 4K/24P resolution at full width, and 4K/30P at a cropped area.
The viewfinder is a 3-inch touchscreen which has a 921,600 dot resolution and can be tilted for your convenience and for taking pictures from difficult angles. The XGA OLED monitor of the camera has an astonishing 2,359,296 dots.
The mirrorless full frame camera by Sony can shoot video at a maximum resolution of 4K Ultra High Definition at 30/24 fps.
This camera has large side grips which are comfortable to hold, and it has a large battery which will ensure that you can keep shooting and shooting without that battery anxiety overshadowing your experience.
The front and rear dials are easy to access and use. Also, the camera has two SD card slots, one of which is UHS-II rated for high-speed transfers.
The auto ISO implementation is another feature we love, and which will eliminate one exposure parameter you need to tackle and worry about when taking pictures or shooting videos.
You just need to specify the minimum and maximum ISO values, and choose the minimum shutter speed or leave it on Auto. You can also customize the buttons on the camera body to further speed up this auto process.
The shutter is silent and the camera is quite compact, depending on the lens you pick.
Overall, at this price, you cannot find a full frame mirrorless camera with better features and quality on the market. It can be used by professionals, semi-pros as well as by your family members and friends thanks to its full auto mode.
Best budget-friendly choice
This is a small-sized midrange mirrorless camera which has a set of excellent features, offers top quality images and has a fast continuous performance. All of these make this small-sized camera by Sony a perfect secondary small camera for pros, semi-pros and for advanced amateurs.
The Alpha a6000 has a 2.43MP APS-C CMOS sensor, a sensitivity range of ISO 100-25,600, and a focus sensitivity range of EV 0 to EV 20. It can shoot videos at a maximum resolution of 1080p and capture fast action at 60 fps.
The camera has a 179 point focal plane phase detection AF combined with 25 contrast detect points which together result in an ultra-fast AF so you will never again miss that fraction of a second and moment you wish to capture.
The Alpha a6000 can reach a continuous shooting speed of 11 fps.
The LCD monitor is 3 inches in diagonal, with 921,600 dots and can be tilted. The OLED EVF viewfinder has a resolution of 14 million dots and offers 100% coverage of the frame.
The compact mirrorless camera from Sony has built-in NFC and Wi-Fi, and also an SD/SDHC/SDXC and a Pro-HG/Pro Duo memory slots.
The dials are easy to access and a very intuitive which makes this mirrorless camera suitable for amateurs as well.
You can further customize the camera and access a lot of nifty editing and settings features via the PlayMemories Camera Apps available.
At the moment, this affordable mirrorless camera is the best you can get for this kind of money in 2019.
Our other top favorite mirrorless cameras for 2019
- A slim design and a small footprint, but with a big performance
- A 45.7MP Nikon designed backside illuminated full frame image sensor and no optical low pass filter
- An incredible 493-point on sensor, hybrid (phase and contrast) AF system
- The special subject tracking Auto Area AF feature allows you to follow a particular face and get clear pictures of it no matter the situation and the number of people in the frame
- 5-axis VR In-camera image stabilization
- Continuous shooting speed of up to 9 fps
- The Maximum video resolution is 4K at 30p
- 8K resolution in time-lapse mode
- 120/1080p resolution in slow motion
- The camera is compatible with all new Z Nikkor lenses and it features a larger and new Z mount for stunning optical performance and for even illumination from one corner to another
- A maximum aperture of f/0.95 and faster transfer of data between the camera and the lens
- The QUAD VGA viewfinder has 3.6 million dots, with added Nikon optics for magnification and with minimal blackout or lag and 100 frames coverage
- Tilting touchscreen control for easy adjustment of the settings
- A revolutionary 10 bit HDMI output for smoother and much richer image and video processing
- A sensitivity of ISO 64 to 25,600 (expandable to ISO 32 – 102,400) for low light and bright light capture at the highest image quality
- A very user-friendly display with icons appears in the viewfinder for easy and quick adjustments without taking your eye off of the shot
- The N-Log and View Assist functions offer 12 stops of dynamic range, more detail, precise color grading, and simple gradation compensation for creating the perfect image
- A quiet and smooth AF perfect for video without disruptive sounds
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, remote shooting via a smartphone, and connections with the computer or over the router for transfer of JPEG, RAW and movie files
This fantastic full-frame mirrorless camera by Canon is the first one with a brand new RF lens mount and has features which when combined result in top quality images, compact lens, and enhanced performance.
- A 30.3MP full-frame CMOS paired with a DIGIC 8 image processor with a 12 pin fast and high volume connection for high IS and quick AF
- A high-speed dual pixel CMOS Auto Focus with 5,655 AF points which you can select manually, and which can focus in 0.05 seconds
- When used in auto mode, the AF has 143 available autofocus areas
- It has low light autofocus for dim light in the range of EV -6^
- Highest video resolution is 4K at 30P with the Cannon log
- A 10-bit ultra-fast HDMI output
- The EVF has 3.69 million dots and provides 100% coverage of the focus area
- A multiple angle touchscreen LCD and dot matrix panel
- Features the newest RF lens mount which is also compatible with all EF/EF-S lenses
- This camera is a model which is suitable for enthusiasts and pros too
- A 26MP 4 inch back-illuminated X-Trans CMOS sensor and an X-Processor 4 for advanced image processing, film simulation, and faster and more accurate AF and tracking
- A 425 point hybrid autofocus system
- Excellent AF tracking and face and eye detection
- 16 million detection pixels cover the entire frame
- The low light phase detection is from -1EV to -3EV
- Continuous shooting speed of up to 11 fps with mechanical shutter
- 20 fps shooting with AF and 30 fps shooting with a 25x crop with an electronic shutter
- A Sports Finder mode which gives a preview of the area around a 1.25x crop
- A large OLED color EVF with a resolution of 3.69 million dots, 0.75x magnification, and no blackouts during burst shooting
- A touchscreen monitor which tilts in 3 directions
- 4K/60P maximum video resolution and simultaneous 10-bit internal video recording and 4:2:2 HDMI output
- Dual fast transfer UHS-II SD card slots
- The battery is charged via a USB C-type cable
- Ports for headphones and a microphone
- The camera has 16 built-in film simulation modes like cinema, eternal, B&W and many more
- Shooting with this camera feels like using a classic DSLR but with all the modern cutting edge technologies
If the Nikon Z7 is out of your price range, the mirrorless Z6 is the more affordable variant which has many of the features of the higher-end model, with the main difference being the lower resolution.
- 5MP Full-frame Nikon designed BSI CMOS sensor
- An EXPEED 6 image processing engine
- 273 point phase detect on sensor AF
- A native ISO sensitivity of 100 to 51,200 which is expandable to 204,800
- A maximum burst rate of 12 fps
- Excellent oversampled 4K/30p full frame video quality
- 4K time-lapse video
- 4K full pixel readout for full frame 4K movies in FX-based format and sharper 4K/120p movies via full pixel readout
- 10-bit HDMI output for speedy data and file transfer
- It is fitted with the new Nikon Z lens mount system
- A compact and lightweight design
- Extensive weather sealed against splashing, moisture or dust
- A 3.6 million dot quad VGA viewfinder with magnification and 100% coverage and minimal blackouts or lags during continuous shooting
- The customizable menu appears right on the viewfinder for easy setup and adjustments while holding your position
- Smooth and quiet AF
- Excellent in body image stabilization with 5 points of shake compensation
- 20 different Creative Picture Controls
- Much more affordable than the top of the line flagship model in this series
- 3MP X-Trans CMOS III APS-C sensor, no low pass filter
- Fuji X lens mount
- An X-Processor Pro
- The speed of burst shooting is 8 fps
- A 4K maximum video resolution
- 91-325 focus points, single point AF, Zone AF, and Wide Tracking AF
- 5 AF-C presets for tracking moving objects including accelerating, decelerating and ignoring obstacles
- 3-inch tilting touchscreen display with 1,040,000 dots
- A 2.36 million dot electronic viewfinder with 100% coverage and a smooth display
- 5 fps in Live view shooting
- A shutter time lag of just 0.050 seconds
- Quick start-up time of 0.4 seconds so you never miss that perfect shot
- Includes Fujifilm’s famous film simulation effects
- Video can be outputted to a monitor via an HDMI cable
- A microphone can be attached if you want audio for your video
- Very elegant and compact design
- Wi-Fi and remote shooting
- Advanced filters and 8 effects including Toy Camera, Miniature, Pop Color, High Key, Low Key, Soft Focus, Dynamic Tone, Partial Color
- It also has a panoramic image shooting option for 120-degree shots
- Interval timer shooting for time-lapse photography
For a fraction of the price of one of the higher end mirrorless cameras in our list, you can get a full kit including the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III camera, electronic zoom M.Zuiko 14-42mm EZ lens a 16GB memory card and a camera bag which is an excellent start-up offer for newbies.
- 16MP Micro Four Thirds CMOS Sensor with no AA Filter
- 5 axis image stabilization and 4 stops of correction for the perfect blur-free still photos
- A TruePic VIII image processor
- 4K/30p maximum video recording
- 6 fps continuous burst shooting and 4.8 fps with continuous autofocus
- An EVF with 2.36 million dots
- A 3-inch tilting touchscreen display with 1.04 million dots, touch AF and shutter release
- Batteries last for 330 shots
- Compact and light body
- Very easy to use menus and settings
- Sold with a 14-42mm electronic zoom lens, a memory card, and a camera bag
- Excellent first mirrorless camera kit for beginners
- 3MP X-Trans CMOS III APS-C sensor
- X Processor Pro image processor
- Body-based image stabilization with 5.5 stops
- Fuji X lens mount, compatible with all XC and XF lenses
- Burst shooting speed of 8fps
- 4K video resolution in DCI 4k or UHD 4K
- 3-inch display with 1,040,000 dots, and vari-angle touchscreen
- OLED viewfinder with 3.69 million dots and a magnification ratio of 0.75x, a smooth display and a lag of just 0.005 seconds
- A large top plate LED display
- External film Simulation mode and the new ETERNA mode which simulates cinematographic films
- F-log SD card video recording
- ½, ¼, and 1/5 1080/120P high-speed video modes
- Advanced and speedy AF, including a focus lock to keep a subject in focus while recomposing the picture, as well as a basic, ignoring obstacles, accelerating/decelerating, erratically moving subjects, sudden entry in the frame and a customizable option
- A sturdy magnesium alloy body which is dust, water, and scratch resistant
- The camera can operate at temperatures as low as -14 degrees Fahrenheit
- Bluetooth connectivity for remote shooting and automatic transfer of photos and videos
- Flickering reduction when pictures are taken in flickering fluorescent lighting
As you can see from our top 10 list, there are so many amazing mirrorless cameras available in 2019, that choosing just one is quite a challenge. Still, we hope that with our comprehensive reviews, we have helped you pick the best camera for your needs, skill levels and preferences.
We have added high-end cameras suitable for professionals and enthusiasts, but there are some mirrorless cameras on our list which are great for absolute beginners and amateurs as well.
So, go ahead and get one of these superb mirrorless cameras and enjoy the incredible results – pictures and videos of unsurpassed quality.
Last update on 2019-12-16 at 03:05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API