We are all aware of the impact of sleep on a healthy lifestyle and the following day’s productivity. Naturally, the same principle applies to young children as well, regardless of how and where they sleep, whether on a regular bed or a bunk bed.
If you are someone who has bunk beds in your house, you would need to ensure that you have the right-sized mattresses for your child’s comfort. And it is not as straightforward as just walking into a shop and walking out with any mattress. It is more confusing. And so, to make it easier for you, we have made a list of the best bunk bed mattresses.
Best Mattresses for Bunk Bed
- Best of the Lot: Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam — The product has an astonishing number of reviews and is quite easy on the pocket.
- Low Price: Best Price Mattress — Not only is this mattress the lowest in price, but it also promises great sleep with no frills.
- Best Comfort: Linespa 5-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress — The manufacturers say you will fall asleep faster on this mattress, and it’s perfect for kids.
- Perfectly Engineered: Modway Aveline Gel Infused Memory Foam — This gel-infused mattress promises to keep your body cool while you sleep by reducing perspiration and sweat.
- Exceptional Support: DreamFoam Bedding Ultimate Dreams Crazy Quilt — Made entirely in the United States, this mattress is perfect for all types of sleepers, and the kids love it.
- High Quality: Home Life Euro Top Harmony — This superior quality mattress checks all the boxes; it’s comfortable yet firm.
- No Compromises: Signature Sleep Mattress — This reversible mattress is designed to give you premium comfort and works great on a bunk bed.
This immensely popular mattress is made by Zinus, a company that has been in the business since 2004. Zinus is a trusted name in the business and operates in 6 different countries and 9 locations. This particular product uses BioFoam, which uses a mix of natural plant oil and petroleum to keep the mattress fresh and works as a cooling gel to keep the body cool and the temperature even. The sleeper will feel comfortable no matter the position they assume.
- Efficiently compressed, packed, and delivered to your door.
- Made with the highest quality of foam that has been certified by CertiPUR-US
- Available in 6, 8, 10, and 12 inches
- Conforms to its shape within 48 hours
- It comes with a worry-free 10-year warranty
- Molds to the natural shape of your body
- Reduces pains and aches
- Nothing needed under the mattress; it works fine on a bunk bed.
- Many customers have complained that the protective layer is made of fiberglass, which is a health hazard.
- Other customers have complained that the mattress sags after a few months of use.
As the name suggests, this manufacturer produces value-for-money products, and this particular item promises to give you the rest you deserve. It is made up of 3 layers consisting of ventilated soft foam, which increases the airflow, memory foam for a comfortable, undisturbed sleep, and a layer of high-density foam for support. The manufacturers say that the mattress relieves your pressure points to help you sleep as you should. The body weight is distributed evenly, hence reducing the tossing and turning while you sleep.
- Independently tested; manufactured according to strict guidelines.
- Made up of memory foam, soft foam, and support foam
- Available in many sizes, including a queen, short queen twin, and twin XL
- Ventilated foam dissipates heat and keeps the sleeper cool.
- The manufacturer provides a 10-year warranty.
- Great to use on bunk, trundle, or day beds
- Lightweight; easy to move from one place to another easily
- Memory foam smell dissipates quickly.
- Some customers have complained of itching after sleeping on this mattress.
- Other customers feel that the mattress is very hard and does not dissipate the heat.
This mattress from Linespa promises a quality gel memory foam mattress at the price of a spring mattress. On the surface, the mattress has a 1-inch layer of gel foam that is designed to be pressure relieving and one of the best out there for your kids. The manufacturer says that you will fall asleep faster and stay asleep with less tossing and turning. The mattress offers a firm base foam layer for the support that is perfect for bunk beds because of its low profile.
- The perfect addition to the kid’s room
- Tested by independent laboratories, meets CentiPUR-US standards for quality and content
- Works on a metal base, boxed spring, or platform bed
- Delivered in a neat little package to your doorstep
- 10-year warranty against manufacturer’s defects
- Gel material disperses body heat for a comfortable sleep
- Provides great support for all types of sleepers, especially children
- Great quality for an affordable price
- Some customers have complained that there is a “sinkhole” in the mattress
- Other customers have said that they experienced back pain after sleeping on the mattress
This mattress by Modway features gel-infused foam that has been ventilated and provides extra cooling support. It has a diamond-patterned stretch knit that allows better air circulation and conforms to the body’s shape.
The mattress is made up of just two layers, unlike a lot of other products that feature more than 3 layers that respond slowly to pressure. It is designed to alleviate pressure on the spine, head, and neck and reduces pressure on your shoulders, hips, and lower back.
- Free of heavy metals TDCPP, formaldehyde and low on VOC
- Open cell and ventilated for comfortable sleep even during humid nights
- Certified by appropriate agencies for quality
- Available in twin, full, king, and queen sizes
- Expands to its full size rapidly
- The company assures satisfaction with a 10-year guarantee
- The chemical smell goes away pretty quickly
- The perfect combination of balance and support for your kid
- Some customers have found sleeping on this mattress uncomfortable and painful
- Other customers feel the mattress dips down too much
Specially designed for your young ones, the DreamFoam Bedding assures a good night’s sleep regardless of the position they sleep in. This mattress is designed to relieve pressure on the joints, neck, hips and the lower back and sits perfectly in bunk, standard, trundle or day beds. Proudly made in the United States, the mattress is made up of a synthetic comfort layer and TriZone core, which is then wrapped in a quilting layer.
- Made in the United States keeping in mind all the quality standards
- Available in twin/twin combo, full and queen sizes
- Designed for teenagers and youngsters
- Expands to its full size pretty quickly unlike other products in the same category
- Perfect for people with allergies since the mattress is hypoallergenic
- The chemical smell does not linger for long
- Great for children, accommodates any sleeping position
- Some customers feel that the mattress is very hard
- Other customers have said that the mattress never “plumped” like it was supposed to
This cost-efficient mattress by Signature Sleep is reversible, which means you can flip and rotate it as per your requirement, making it last longer as compared to other mattresses. The product has been designed keeping in mind all kinds of beds including bunk beds, day beds, spring beds, trundle beds and so on. Like some products listed here, it features about 480 individually encased coils that work towards eliminating motion transfer, giving your kid a long night’s rest.
- 480 individually-encased coils
- 2-sided construction
- Manufactured with certified foam
- Available in twin, full, king and queen sizes
- Provides comfort regardless of the sleeping position
- Perfect for all types of beds, especially bunk beds
- 10-year limited warranty
- Decompresses pretty fast
- A few customers have said that the mattress does not last very long
- Some customers complain that they can feel the coils and the mattress is uncomfortable
This mattress boasts of individually pocketed 15-gauge coils that help toward distributing weight properly, resulting in undisturbed, peaceful sleep. The individually pocketed coils mean that the motion disturbance is limited and the mattress lasts longer. This thick and comfortable mattress is 8 inches thick and has been 100% certified as a green foam. Additionally, you can easily remove the cover for washing when required.
- Made up of pressure-relieving and high-density foam
- Individually pocketed coils for durability
- Green foam certified
- One of the few manufacturers to provide a 20-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Offers firm support, perfect for bunk beds
- Makes no noise (even with the coils)
- Very economically priced
- Some customers found this mattress to be “too flat”
- Other customers have said that the product is not as described
How to Select Mattresses for Bunk Beds
When you are looking to buy the best mattresses for bunk beds, there are several things to be considered. Though we have compiled the list keeping children in mind, you should be mindful that bunk beds are also used by adults.
When you are looking for bunk bed mattresses online, you will find that a lot of bunk beds are available with mattresses, but most of the time they are not adequate or are of poor quality. So here is what you should look for while buying a mattress:
If you have bunk beds at home, you may have noticed that they are rather shallow when compared with regular beds. So keeping that in mind, you should always look for mattresses that are about 5 to 10 inches thick. If the mattress is overshooting the side rails, that is a safety issue as well, and this goes for the lower bunk as well. This is because you also have to consider headspace and the risk of rolling over and falling.
This is a vital factor. It would be better if you know the dimensions of the bunk bed and then look for a mattress for it accordingly. If the mattress does not fit properly, the result would be very uncomfortable.
As you already know, there are several types of mattresses available for bunk beds. These are:
- Memory Foam: Fast becoming the first choice of mattress buyers, these are made of polyurethane, which molds itself to the body.
- Innerspring: These types of mattresses are considered very durable and hence are considered perfect for bunk beds where kids would be using them. The material used is tougher, and as the name suggests, contains coils that are individually wrapped for durability.
- Gel Form: The top-most layer is infused with a gel that regulates the body temperature of the sleeper and keeps them cool.
- Latex: Long considered to be the ideal type of material for mattresses for kids because of the bounce they add.
For younger children, slightly firmer mattresses are recommended because they reduce the chance of suffocation. For older kids, this would be a matter of preference and comfort.
A lot of manufacturers are taking note of this important factor now. If the mattress is not made of breathable material, there is a fair chance of the sleeper feeling discomfort, since there is no regulation of body heat.
Look for the CertiPUR-US certification. Thankfully, a lot of manufacturers these days have it. This means that their product is free of any allergens and low in VOCs. They are also usually free of ozone depleters, mercury, heavy metals, lead and formaldehyde.
Hopefully, this article will lead you to buy the mattress that suits your needs. Apart from the article, another excellent way to find out the best mattress is to look for as many reviews as you can. There is no ‘one-mattress-fits-all’ option, but you have no enough information on hand. So buy the appropriate mattress keeping in mind the safety concerns that surround bunk beds, their fun factor notwithstanding.
- The 6 Best Kitchen Whisks in 2021 - January 29, 2021
- 10 Best Teapots of 2021 – Reviews & Buying Guide - January 29, 2021
- Top 5 Best Vacuum for Stairs – Easy Clean for Carpeted Steps in 2021 - January 29, 2021
Last update on 2021-02-27 at 22:53 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API