If you are looking to update your bedroom, you have probably realized that a platform bed is a great option, since it will save you a bit of money. And naturally, you would have a lot of questions on your mind. Would the old mattress still be valid or would you have to invest in a new one?
You will be relieved to know that there are many mattress options available these days than just the regular box spring mattress. So, if you are pretty sure if a platform bed is what you need, your priority should be to find a good mattress. Take a look at our guide which will help you look for the best mattress for your new platform bed.
Top Reviews of Best Mattresses for Platform Bed
- Most Reviewed Mattress: Linenspa 8 Inch Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress: One of the highest rated by its customers and also one of the most economically priced.
- Coolest of the Lot Mattress:Modway Aveline Gel Infused Memory Foam: Open-cell and ventilated design; comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Cozy and Affordable Mattress: Live and Sleep Queen Mattress: Loved by customers; it does not use latex, spring or coil.
- Best Temperature Sensitive Mattress: Swiss Ortho Sleep: Made from eco-friendly materials and has multi-layered functions.
- Best Comfort Mattress: Zinus Extra Firm iCoil: Supported by hundreds of individual coils; shipped conveniently.
- Best Balanced Mattress: Olee Sleep I-Gel: Plums up really fast, offers very firm support.
- Best Trial Mattress: Snuggle-Pedic Mattress: 4-months sleep trial, with 20 years of warranty.
Most Reviewed Mattress:
This is a top-selling brand and is easily available anywhere. The 8-inch mattress is a hybrid, which means it’s a combination of springs and foam. The mattress comes in a knit cover and has individually encased coils and gel infusions. As a result, the mattress is quite bouncy and responds very well.
- Shipped in a box for convenience
- Individually encased coils
- Attractively priced
- Comes with a limited 10-year limited warranty
- Responds quickly to pressure
- Perfect for kids’ rooms and guest beds
- Expands quickly to its true size
- Minimizes pressure points
- Offers great quality for the price
- Some customers find the mattress weak and uncomfortable
- Other customers claim to have found bed bugs in the mattress
Coolest of the Lot Mattress:
This highly-rated mattress features a gel-infused memory foam layer that provides a cool sleeping surface if you wake up because of the smallest rise in temperatures. Those suffering from back or joint pains will find that this mattress gives you a good night’s sleep without costing you too many dollars.
- Low on VOC and made without formaldehyde
- The foam is CentriPur-US certified
- The gel-infused ventilated layer provides cooling support
- Takes just 2-4 hours to expand
- Very budget friendly
- The chemical smell won’t last for long
- Backed up by a 10-year warranty
- Dissipates body heat quickly
- Very fast shipping with Prime
- Some customers have said that they received a faulty product
- Others have complained that it does not retain a foundation
Cozy and Affordable Mattress:
The Live and Sleep Queen Mattress has a simple design and is ideal for back, stomach or side sleepers. With the top layer made up of 2.5 inches of memory foam, you are looking at a material that conforms to your body shape and handles the pressure very well. If you are someone who is looking for a mattress that would last you at least a few years, this is the one for you.
- Works very well on platform beds, floors or even box springs
- The foam is hypoallergenic, OEKO TEX certified and antibacterial
- Cools your body for optimum rest and deep sleep
- Light and breathable cover, easy to remove
- Conforms to the body very well
- Ideal for all sleeping positions
- Prevents motion transfer
- Doesn’t give off as much smell like other products in the same category
- Some customers have accused the company of not having a “standard” product
- Other customers feel that the mattress is uneven
Best Temperature Sensitive Mattress:
This mattress from Swiss Ortho Sleep is 12” thick, uses a breathable bamboo cover and has 3 layers that include a comfort foam, memory foam and wave foam. The manufacturers claim that the mattress is temperature sensitive and body forming, and will last for many years to come. Each coil is individually and independently wrapped for providing excellent support. Since the mattress reduces heat retention, it means that you would have a more comfortable sleep and less tossing and turning in the bed.
- Available in twin, full, king and queen sizes
- High-density mattress with a breathable cover
- Semi-firm coils for long-lasting use
- Perfect for those who toss and turn a lot
- All products come with a 10-year warranty
- The mattress conforms to the body perfectly
- Customers love the affordability for the quality
- Removable cover
- Customers have found that sitting near the edge is uncomfortable
- Other customers say that they can hear and feel the springs inside
Best Comfort Mattress:
This is a spring-based mattress from Zinus that promises to be very firm and not noisy. The base is made from hundreds of individually wrapped coils that provide a customized experience to every user and maintains spine alignment. The individual wrapping also ensures no motion transfer. It also has high-quality foam which has been CertiPUR-US certified, which means that all types of standards such as environmental, consumer safety are met.
- 1.5 inches of pressure-relieving comfort foam
- Hundreds of 7.5-inch iCoil pocketed springs
- A 1-inch high-density support layer
- Excellent value for money
- Great edge support
- Worry-free 10-year warranty
- High-quality materials used in the construction
- Great support for people with “extra” weight
- Some customers have complained that the mattress fails to decompress
- Other customers have complained of poking springs and uneven firmness
Best Balanced Mattress:
This mattress comes in 6, 8, 10 and 12 inches for people of all sizes and those who like their beds to be firm. It features a layer of gel for effective overall cooling, especially for people who have higher-than-average body temperatures. The multiple layers in the mattress, namely dura foam, supportive egg carton layer, memory foam, high-density foam and the jacquard layer provide excellent balance and comfort all around. This makes it a great choice for people who suffer from lower back pains and sleep on their sides.
- Memory foam layers are CertiPUR-US certified
- Adds breathability, elastic support, longevity and durability
- The i-Gel cooling foam keeps the body cool
- Available in king, queen, full and twin sizes
- Great for those who suffer from back pain
- Great value for money product
- Made from eco-friendly materials
- Plumps up fast
- Some customers have complained that the mattress is very uncomfortable
- Other customers have not found the mattress to be as firm as it claims
Best Trial Mattress:
The Snuggle-Pedic Mattress features a patented airflow system that reduces body heat build-up by providing 100 times better airflow. The mattress comes with a zipper system that makes adjusting the soft micro-vented natural ivory and extra breathable bamboo cover a jiffy. The company claims that they only use foam with the least VOC and claim that all the components including the cover, the fire-resistant chemical-free socking and the fabric are made in the United States. They say that their foam has been made without using any harmful materials such as formaldehyde, heavy metals, phthalates, mercury and so on. The mattress can be used on any bed.
- All of its components are made in the United States
- Very low VOC, CentriPUR-US certified and eco-friendly
- 100 times more breathable than any other mattress
- Available in several sizes — twin, twin XL, full, queen, short, short queen, king and California king
- An unheard-of 4-month, no-hassle trial (with customizations) and 20-year warranty which means the company is really serious about their product
- Complete customizability for your requirements; you can choose a firmer or softer finish
- Dust-mite resistant and hypoallergenic
- Perfect for sleeping in any position
- Increased breathability improves the mattress’ life cycle
- Some customers have found the customer service to be very rude
- Other customers find the mattress to be very hard and difficult to sleep on
What Exactly Are Platform Beds?
Unlike most of the traditional beds, a platform bed does not have a box spring, but rather is a simple construction with an built-in foundation. It can have either metal components or wooden slats to support a mattress. Think of the platform bed as a frame that would encompass a mattress.
The Best Type of Mattress for a Platform Bed?
These days, manufacturers are coming out with mattresses that are suitable for any type of beds, including platform beds. Having said that, people with platform beds seek out latex and memory foam mattresses for better comfort and support. One of the main reasons for this is that the wooden slats offer some breathability which these type of mattresses need.
Usually, any type of mattress can go with your platform bed, but before you buy one, you should check the weight capacity of your bed. This should include the number of people that usually sleep on that bed, which could be just one or two persons, or in some cases, it could be adults with children or pets. The sturdiness of the platform bed will depend upon the kind of material that has been used to make it. One more point to note here is in case of damage (caused by excessive weight) the wooden slats are easily replaceable.
Considerations before Buying a Mattress for a Platform Bed
There are some things you can consider before buying a mattress for your platform bed. Most of it revolves around your comfort because only you can decide if you are comfortable spending hours on the mattress. But still, some mattresses are designed for platform beds, while others are designed to be used with conventional beds.
Some manufacturers, such as the Snuggle-Pedic mattress offer an extended period wherein you can try them out for a long period before making a final decision. Trying them out at a shop is one thing, but that doesn’t give you an idea about how different it will feel after a longer period of rest. If a company is offering a very long warranty on their product, it just shows they are serious about their craft and are offering a quality product.
This is the first and the most important thing to consider since you are going to be spending at least 6 hours on the mattress (ideally it should be 8 hours). If you are getting the right amount of sleep and feel refreshed when you wake up, it means you have chosen the correct mattress. Look for features that offer you proper weight distribution, contouring with your body curves and no pressure points.
You will know you have found your perfect mattress if it fits the foundation of the platform bed properly. Look for a combination between a firm and semi-firm mattress because that will prove to be more durable and will generally cover all pressure points. If you are sinking into a mattress it usually means you will develop lower back pain in the future.
Height of the Mattress
One thing to remember is that you shouldn’t have to “climb” on top of the bed, that is, you should be able to get on and off the bed easily after it has been placed on the platform bed. A very low bed would mean the height should be just above the ankles, a low bed means that the height should be just about below the knees and a regular or high bed would be just above the knees.
Weight of the Mattress
We have said this before, so you should always consider how much weight the frame of the platform bed can take. Commercial mattresses are heavy and combined with your body weight (or if multiple persons are sleeping on it), it can have an impact on the frame of the bed.
Hopefully, this article has informed you enough so you can decide on your own. We had our criteria for making a list of the best mattresses available on the market, and as is apparent, they all make excellent choices for your platform bed. Happy sleeping!
Last update on 2020-07-05 at 23:13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API