Are you full of dull and unusable knives in your kitchen drawer? With a good quality knife sharpener, you can restore all your valuable and expensive knives as well as improve your simpler and cheaper ones too.
We have tested a variety of knife sharpeners this year, and have come up with our top 10 recommended sharpeners for you.
The top spot is for the Culinary Obsession Whetstone sharpener, but we have picked all kinds of different excellent options suitable for any need and taste too.
Read on to find the best electric, whetstone, honing rod and pull-through knife sharpeners for 2019.
We picked the Culinary Obsession Whetstone knife sharpening stone as our top pick for the best blade sharpener for 2019 because it is reasonably priced, and will bring even the dullest and most beaten up knives back to life.
Thanks to the included video and illustrated PDF instructions, you will quickly learn how to make your knives razor blade sharp once again with this useful tool.
The whetstone also comes with a nifty bamboo base and a rubber frame which will add height and ensure that the tool stays in place while you are sharpening your knife, scissors, chisel, axes, ice skates, nail clippers, drill bits and a number of other blades.
The Culinary Obsession whetstone is suitable and will do a perfect job of sharpening both expensive chef’s knives and inexpensive ordinary ones.
It is made of top quality professional grade Aluminum Oxide, and no oil is needed for its use, only water.
The sharpening tool is sold with a 1-year money back guarantee, so you can try it out for free.
It may take a little practice to get the angle right, but once you do – you will always have the sharpest and safest knives at home with this knife sharpener.
In fact, for such a low cost, you will be getting two sharpeners in one, because one of the sides of the whetstone is a rough #1000 grit one and the other is a fine-hone polishing #6000 grit.
All you need to do is soak the stone in water and wait for the bubbles to stop, and then place in on the silicone base over the bamboo block, and slide each side of the edge of the blade along the rough #1000 grit blue side at a 10 to 20-degree angle several times. Then you can turn the whetstone over to its finer #6000 to polish your newly sharpened edge. After that, you should rinse off the whetstone and let it dry for 48 hours before putting it back in the drawer, and wash the knife with some hot water and dish soap.
So, if you want an inexpensive, versatile and highly efficient knife sharpener, we strongly suggest that you opt for this one from Culinary Obsession.
Sharpening a blade will take just about a minute with this amazing device, and re-sharpening your knives with it can be done is just about 10 seconds.
The Trizor XV will easily convert the 20-degree edges of your kitchen or other household knives into top performance 15-degree ones.
The tool is fitted with 100% diamond abrasives which are suitable and safe for sharpening both straight and serrated blades.
The noise level is 65 to 75 dB.
Thanks to the patented automatic adjustment system with flexible spring glides, you won’t have a problem achieving the correct angle when you are sharpening a knife.
It is easy to use and has 3 sharpening stages. Stages 1 and 2 include the sharpening of the edge with the diamond abrasives, and stage 3 is for polishing the edges and for sharpening and prolonging the life of your knives with serrated blades.
You can choose to use only one or two of the stages, depending on the type of knife you are sharpening and on the food, you are planning to cut with it.
It is 10 x 4.25 x 4.25 inches in size and weighs 4.42 lbs.
The electric sharpener is sold with a 3-year warranty. It is more expensive than our top pick, but it does provide perfectly polished and honed sharp 15-degree Trizor XV edges every time without any effort and without any skills required from your side.
With a 15 degree edge, your knives will cut better and easier, and also they will last longer thanks to the thinner edge and the triple-bezel arch-shaped Trizor XV edge tech.
Overall, this high-end electric sharpener is an excellent tool which anybody who wants to have safe and sharp straight and serrated knives should consider buying.
Best budget choice
The Rada Cutlery sharpener features two tough high carbon stainless steel wheels which intersect and will sharpen both sides of the blade at once.
The base of this sharpening tool is easy to keep in place while you are sharpening a knife. The instrument is very compact (3 1/3 x 2 inches) and portable, so you can easily take it with you when you go camping, fishing or hunting.
Although it is made for sharpening Rada knives, you can use this sharpener for any other non-serrated blade.
It is an ambidextrous tool, so even if you are a leftie, you won’t have problems using it.
The affordable sharpener is made by Rada Mfg. Co. in Waverly, Iowa, and comes with a lifetime guarantee.
And now for our remaining top picks for 2019
The Edge Pro Apex 3 is the perfect sharpening kit for every professional chef, knife sharpening professional or knife enthusiast who wants the best sharpening system for their straight and serrated blades.
- The patented knife sharpening guide system will sharpen knives of all types, sizes, and shapes, including serrated ones
- Suitable for knives which are up to 3.5 inches in width
- The system will automatically determine the best angle for proper sharpening
- You can sharpen each knife at the exact same angle every time which makes the process much faster and easier
- No oil is required thanks to the special custom formulated water stones used by the sharpener
- Removes much less metal from the blade as compared to grinders or electric sharpeners
- Eliminates wavy edges
- Will help prolong the life of your knives
- Removes any dings and nicks without changing the edge
- Doesn’t emit heat which can ruin the temper of the knife
- Easy to set up
- Portable size
- Comes in a convenient carry case
- The sharpening angle can be adjusted from 10, 15, 18, 21 and 24 degrees
- Easy to replace inexpensive water stones
- Includes 5 water stones – 120 Grit coarse, 220 Grit which is medium-fine, 400 Grit – fine, 600 Grit extra-fine, 1000 Grit – ultra-fine and an 8 inch 1200 Grit ceramic hone
- Sold with a detailed instructional DVD, instructions manual, as well as a cloth and water bottle
- Made by Chef’s Choice in the USA together with famous kitchen knife manufacturer from Germany – Wusthof
- The tool offers 3-stage sharpening for sharpening, honing and polishing both straight and serrated blades at a14 degree edge
- The slot for Stage 1 is for sharpening knives and creating a new edge on the blade of the dull knife via diamond abrasive
- The slot for Stage 2 is for finer abrasion and honing of the edge
- The slot for Stage 3 will polish the blade until it is razor sharp, and is excellent for honing serrated blades too
- Uses Precision Edge Technology for guaranteed results every time
If you are shopping for an electric knife sharpener which offers the option to select the degree of the edge of your knives, the 1520 Angle Select Diamond sharpener by Chef’s Choice could be the best option for you.
- Suitable for sharpening all types of European, American and Asian style knives
- Works for all kinds of kitchen and household knives, including serrated ones
- Very easy to use thanks to the spring guide system which allow for easy adjustment and better precision, and eliminates the guesswork
- The sharpener will help restore the edges of both your 15 and 20-degree angle class knives
- Uses 100% diamond abrasives for honing and sharpening
- The polishing discs are flexible and will help make the edges of your knives incredibly sharp and durable
- Works with both high end and with inexpensive knives and cutlery
- Sold with a 3-year limited warranty
- Very compact and lightweight sharpener which you can carry with you everywhere
- Sharpens dull knives with only 3 swipes
- Works with all kinds of straight and serrated knives except with those which are fine tooth serrated
- The base has a suction pad to keep the sharpener steady during use for added safety and comfort
- Very easy to use, and will sharpen all blades at a 20-degree sharp angle with the Tungsten carbide sharpening technology used
- Very affordably priced
- It is sold with a money back guarantee, and if you don’t like it you will get your money back and you will also get to keep the sharpener for free!
- Works with all kinds of straight and serrated edged knives, axes, machetes and all kinds of cutting tools
- The ergonomic handle is comfortable to hold with either the left or the right hand
- You don’t need to guess the angle or do any adjustments before starting to sharpen a blade
- Sharpening a knife will take no more than 10 seconds
- There is a finger guard which will keep you safe during the sharpening
- The sharpening is done via a diamond-honed very tough Tungsten carbide blade
- This sharpener will not rust and can be machine washed or hand washed safely
- The sharpening blade will last from 5 to 10 blades, and then can be replaced
- No oil is needed for the sharpening, and thus there will be no mess involved in the process
- Inexpensive honing tool
- It has a 10-inch chromium-plated carbon steel rod and a 5-inch ergonomic handle
- A hanging loop on the bottom of the handle is very nifty for easy storage and access
- It is sold with a cleaning cloth, as well as a book of honing instructions
- Works with all types and sizes of knives up to 10 inches
- The steel won’t directly sharpen the blade but rather will give the edge sine sharpness without taking off too much metal from the blade
- It is very easy to use and maintain
- It is suitable for both right-handed and left-handed people
- It comes with a carry bag for easy storage and portability
- Sold with a 90-day guarantee
- Made from top quality durable materials
- Works with both straight and serrated edges
- Includes two sets of high alumina ceramic stones, 2 medium grit stones and a set of fine white stones
- Suitable for sharpening plain or flat edges, and can be used for sharpening fish hooks, darts, awls, and other sharp objects
- All parts snap securely into the ABS plastic base and with the lid on it becomes very easy to transport or to store
- The design ensures that the angle at which you move the blade edge against the stone remains consistent
- You can set the angles at 30 (15 per side) or 40 (20 per side) degrees
- The device has brass safety rods which will keep your hands safe during the sharpening
- Comes with a detailed set of instructions for proper sharpening
As you can see, our list of the best knife sharpeners for 2019 includes sharpeners of all types and price ranges.
Hopefully, we have helped you pick the one which will serve you best.
Knife sharpeners can be small and large and may require no skills or quite a bit of practice to use. Also, the price range of these tools is quite large, so make sure you read through all the features of the sharpeners we have picked in order to find the best one which will help you restore your knives and make them sharper than ever and yet fit into your budget.
A sharp knife is not only easier to use, but is also safer too, because when you are using a properly sharpened knife, you won’t be putting so much pressure on it and using so many cuts. This means that you will be safer from painful and sometimes dangerous cuts, and your culinary experience will become much more enjoyable, quick and easy.
These knife sharpeners are all pretty versatile, so you can use most of them to sharpen just about any cutting tool or object in your home with them.
You can choose among the simple small pull through sharpeners, the honing steel rod type, the electrically powered sharpeners and the whetstone ones which we have picked for you.
All of them are very efficient and durable and will serve you well for years to come, so go ahead and get a good quality sharpener now, and you will never experience the frustration of having to cut with a dull or nicked and damaged knife again!
Last update on 2019-04-26 at 07:55 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API