Do you need a surveillance camera which is easy to set up and which will stream live video footage directly to your smartphone or computer? With a good quality Wi-Fi security camera, you will get exactly that.
Since there are so many wireless security cameras on the market, we have tested a number of them and have compiled a list of our top 10 favorites for 2020.
We have picked different types of wireless surveillance cameras and complete surveillance systems, as well as cameras from all price ranges, so we are pretty sure that there is a Wi-Fi security cam for just about anyone on our list.
Read on to find out which our top picks for the best Wi-Fi security cameras for 2020 are and why we have chosen them.
Our top pick for the best Wi-Fi security camera system is the Arlo Pro 2. We chose it for its 1080p HD resolution, the two-way audio, the complete wireless operation, its integrated siren, its compatibility with Amazon Alexa and the option for storing surveillance footage on a USB drive.
You can keep an eye at your home, your children, your pets, an elderly member of the family or on anything else at all times via the useful smartphone app, which offers live video streaming and push notifications for motion detection.
The two included Wi-Fi cameras are waterproof and are IP65 rated for weather resistance, so you can use them both in the house and outdoors. They are battery charged, so you can move them around without the hassle of dealing with wires and power outlets whenever you need to.
The 1080p HD quality of the footage will provide you with all the details you want to see whenever you want.
You can easily recharge the 2440mAh Lithium-ion batteries, but if you prefer – you get the option to simply plug them in and keep the cameras and security system powered so that you can switch on an enable continuous video recording.
The smart siren can be set to react to a sound or motion or can be turned on remotely, in case you notice something disturbing is going on. It has a 100+ decibel sound, so you can be sure that any potential intruders will be alarmed by the piercing sound.
The Arlo Pro 2 cameras will automatically switch to low light settings once it gets dark, so you will be able to monitor what is going on even in pitch dark settings.
The footage can easily be transferred to and stored from the base station to a USB drive.
The fact that the Arlo Pro 2 security system is compatible with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Samsung SmartThings, Stringify, and IFTTT makes it a perfect addition to your smart home. It can be controlled by voice commands for easier operation, and you can easily switch on the live video footage on your Smart TV with only a couple of words.
The wireless security system is very simple to set up and use, so there will be no need to pay a professional to come in and install it for you.
The Arlo Pro 2 home security camera system is sold with an option for 7 days of recording and cloud storage, as well as sound and motion activated alerts to your smartphone.
The video recorded is compressed in H.264 format and is in full-color HD quality, so you can see all the details at all times.
The system will automatically adapt the white balance and the exposure for a clearer and better picture quality.
The motion detection function of the Wi-Fi cameras uses IR technology when the cameras are used in wireless mode, and a video-based technology when you choose to plug them in. The cameras will detect movement in a range of up to 23ft.
You can set up to 3 activity zones for the cameras to monitor, and don’t need to worry about any blind spots because the cameras have a 130-degree field of view, which is much wider than most security cameras out there. Whenever you need to you can zoom in for a closer view of an object or person via the integrated 8x digital zoom of each Wi-Fi camera.
The security system base is powered by a 900MHz ARM Corte 7 processor and has a memory of 128MB RAM and 128MB Flash. It has a Fast Ethernet port and a DHCP IP configuration option. The cameras have a wireless range of more than 300ft at a line of sight, which is sufficient for the coverage of a large area.
The alerts which the smart system will send to your mobile device are customizable and can be set for detecting motion in a specific area, detecting people, and it can also be set to send alerts to other emergency responders as well.
One of the best features of the Arlo Pro 2 is that when you used it plugged in, it has a 3-second look back, which will show you the moments before an event is triggered so that you can get a complete picture of what happened.
The kit contains the 2 Wi-Fi security cameras, a security system base with a built-in siren, 2 rechargeable Lithium-Ion batteries, a power adapter, a power cable, an Ethernet cable, 2 wall mounts and a screw set, a quick start guide, and a window decal.
You can choose to upgrade your subscription to store your continuous video footage in the cloud as well.
The integrated audio function in the cameras will not only allow you to listen to what is going on in your house but will also allow you to talk back to the children, pets or people through the smartphone app, so you can stay close to your loved ones no matter where you are.
Overall, the Netgear Arlo Pro 2 is the perfect Wi-Fi security solution for any home and any need, and we highly recommend it to anybody interested in buying a reliable, versatile, and easy to set up smart video surveillance security system!
This Wi-Fi security camera system from Firstrend is our second favorite wireless camera system for 2020 for a variety of reasons.
The system includes four 1080p HD bullet cameras, which will allow you to monitor larger areas or multiple rooms at once. The NVR recorder has a 2TB built-in hard drive and 8 channels, which means that you can add up to 4 more cameras for an even safer home or property.
The system is very easy to install, so you can do it yourself instead of hiring a professional to set it up for you. The cameras are plug and play, so all you have to do is plug them in power outlets, plug the recorder in as well, connect it to your TV or monitor with an HDMI or VGA cable, and you will see a picture immediately as the cameras are all factory paired to the recording device.
Please note, that even though these cameras are wireless, they still need to be plugged into power outlets. They connect to the NVR wirelessly though, so you will eliminate the need to deal with long cables all around your house or on your property.
You need to connect the NVR to the router with a network cable which is provided in the package so that you get a stable video stream via Wi-Fi.
The set includes a mouse which should be connected to the NVR for easier setting and operation of the security system.
You can download the free app from Firstrend and view the footage remotely, as well as watch previously recorded surveillance videos on your smartphone or tablet, no matter whether you use Android or iOS-based devices. You can also remotely control the Synch-playback, the motion detection and the video backup functions of your system. You will also receive e-mail alerts or push notifications on your phone as soon as a motion is detected.
Thankfully, you get to choose which types of alerts and e-mails you will receive in order to limit them to the essential ones, and avoid an overflow of emails and notifications from your home surveillance system.
As for the 4 bullet surveillance cameras in this set, they offer a high definition HD resolution of up to 1080p, which will provide you with a clear picture and all the details you need to see at all times.
The cameras have Night Vision functionality for a range of up to 65ft, thanks to the IR LED lights. They are waterproof and IP66 weatherproof rated, so you can mount them outdoors, and monitor your property even when it is pouring outside.
Of course, you can install them indoors as well.
For added security, your Firstrend surveillance system allows only one authorized account, so that you can stay safe from hacking and privacy invasion.
Thanks to the integrated 2TB SATA HDD in the NVR recorder, you can store massive amounts of footage, without the need to free up space for more. You can turn on continuous 24/7 recordings, or choose to record only the motion triggered events.
The playback function is set up in a useful calendar mode, and the triggered events are colored in purple, and normal recordings are in blue color allowing you to quickly find the footage you are looking for during that specific month or day.
The set includes all the cables, and mounting equipment necessary for the installation, so you will get a complete DIY Wi-Fi camera surveillance kit if you choose to buy this set from Firstrend.
The Firstrend video surveillance system is sold with a 1-year warranty and a 90-day satisfaction guarantee, so if you are not happy with it you can return it and get refunded, so go ahead and try it out for yourself. We doubt that you will want to return this near-perfect wireless video surveillance system!
If you need a simple and yet effective Wi-Fi camera to keep an eye on your children, babysitter, pets or something or somebody else, we suggest you purchase this incredibly low priced UOKOO Wi-Fi security camera.
It is the least expensive option on our list, but it has all the features you can ask for from a good Wi-Fi cam.
All you need to do to set up this mini Wi-Fi camera is plug it in a power outlet, and download the iSmartView app on your phone, tablet or computer, and you will get access to the live footage immediately.
You can use it on Android, iOS, PC and MAC devices, so whichever operating system you prefer – you will be able to use this mini home surveillance system.
You can set the app to inform you about a detected motion via e-mail or a push notification on your mobile device. The sensitivity of the motion detection function is adjustable, so you don’t have to worry about being bombarded by false alerts and e-mails.
For such an affordable device, this tiny Wi-Fi security camera has very precise motion detection functionality.
It has a 90-degree viewing angle, so you can see every part of the room or area you are monitoring.
The small Wi-Fi security camera can be set on a tabletop, or you can mount it on a wall with the screws included in the package.
You can pair up to 4 phones to your camera simultaneously so that all family members or other trusted people get access to the live footage or receive the motion detection alerts at the same time.
The UOKOO Wi-Fi camera is a must-have if you want an inexpensive and very easy to install and use reliable baby monitor, pet monitor or surveillance camera for your home.
We strongly recommend it to those of you on a tight budget, or for those who are not willing to splurge out for a complicated and expensive surveillance system!
And here are the rest of our top picks for the best Wi-Fi security cameras for 2020
Do you want a smart Wi-Fi security camera for your smart home? The EZVIZ 1080p mini camera is the perfect smart Wi-Fi cam to add to the other IoT devices in your home.
- The camera has a 1080p HD resolution and a very wide 135 angle for a panoramic view
- Compatible with Alexa via Echo Show, IFTTT and other smart devices, so you can simply ask the camera to show you footage with a voice command
- View live footage of your home via the EZVIZ app
- Allows you to listen to what is happening via the mobile app, and talk back to your family or pet through your smartphone
- The night vision function switches on automatically for a clear HD video even when it is dark
- You can store footage on a micro SD card (up to 128GB)
- You will get alerts on your phone when there is movement in the parameter
- You can save the footage and take pictures and share them with friends whenever you want via your smartphone
- You receive a free 30-day cloud storage option
- The app works both on Android and iOS devices
- Supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi connectivity
- Offers a high-speed internet connection for seamless functioning (1.5Mbps+)
- You will receive a stand, a mounting plate, adhesive foam, a screw kit and a power adapter with the camera along with a quick start-up guide
Are you worried about your elderly parents when you are not there to cater to their needs? With the Victure Wi-Fi security camera you can have real-time access to video footage as well as communicate with them no matter where you are.
- The camera will stream Full HD 1080p footage to your smartphone in real time
- You can listen to what is happening at home, or talk to your family via the smartphone app thanks to the built-in speaker and microphone in the camera and the integrated Anti-Noise function
- The Wi-Fi camera will send you notifications and start recording if it senses movement
- The night vision function of the camera will enable you to see what is going on even when it is dark
- A micro SD card slot supports up to 64GB of card storage for your video recordings
- The camera has a wide 90-degree viewing angle for a fuller picture of what is happening
- Works with all 2.4GHz Wi-Fi
- You will receive a pan-tilt device and screw for mounting the camera in the package
- Very easy to set up and use
If you are shopping for a complete Wi-Fi security surveillance system with a dedicated monitor, the Anakk wireless security camera system is one of the best options available on the market in 2020.
- The set includes a 4 channel NVR, four 960p Wi-Fi bullet cameras and an LCD HD monitor with a 12-inch display
- You can watch surveillance videos on the dedicated monitor or on your smartphone via the app which is available for Android and for iOS
- The NVR recorder has a 1TB integrated hard disk to store your video footage, and it can be expanded to 4GB if you want more storage space
- The NVR has VGA and HDMI outputs as well if you prefer to connect it to a TV or monitor
- The system is very easy to set up, and the package includes everything you will need for a DIY installation
- The cameras are all paired with the NVR recorder prior to shipping, so all you need to do is plug them in power outlets, and plug in the recorder into your router and the grid
- Pairing the cameras with your smartphone app is also easy – via a QR code
- The cameras are suitable for indoor and for outdoor use – they are IP66 rated
- The night vision function of each camera in the set has a range of up to 65ft
- Sold with a 30-day free return guarantee
- The motion detection function will save storage space
- You can receive e-mail or push notifications about detected motion when you are out
- The security system comes with all the cables, mounting equipment you will need as well as a mouse, camera antennas and warning stickers
The Victony 1080p Wi-Fi camera is another affordable and simple to set up option for all of you looking for a baby monitor, a nanny cam, or a surveillance camera to watch over your pet or your property.
- It will provide you with top quality 1080 Full HD video footage
- The videos can be streamed directly to your phone or tablet
- You can set the app to notify you about motion-triggered alerts, or receive e-mails when movement is detected
- The viewing angle is 110 degrees wide, so you will get a full panoramic picture of the area you are watching
- The camera can be rotated u to 355 degrees horizontally and 120 degrees vertically, so you will get a complete 360-degree coverage of the room or another area of your choice
- The cam has a built-in microphone as well as a speaker, which will provide you with clear audio and allow you to talk back to the person you are watching via the mobile app
- The camera also has an IR LED night vision capability for u to 33ft
- Excellent for monitoring a baby, elderly family member, pets, nannies and others
- Frustration-free setup and connection to your Wi-Fi network and to your 3G or 4G smartphone
- The MicroSD slot allows you to add a storage card with a capacity of up to 128GB
- You can store the recorded footage on your computer directly from the camera
- A continuous video recording option is also available
- You can bookmark your favorite camera positions, to access them quickly and easily
- It comes with a 60-day customer satisfaction guarantee
Do you feel constantly worried about whether your nanny is taking proper care of your children while you are away from home? A hidden nanny cam like the SpyStar Wi-Fi security camera will help you monitor how everything is going on at home.
- An absolutely invisible camera which is concealed in a USB wall charger
- You can actually use the charger to power up your device as it is recording
- The camera can live-stream the video footage to your mobile phone via the iOS or Android app
- It has a 1080p Full HD resolution which will give you a clear and detailed picture of what is going on in your home
- The camera connects to the home 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network easily
- Several trusted people and family members can get access to the video footage simultaneously if you give them the login information
- The Micro SD Card storage option on the hidden camera will allow you to backup and store the footage for later viewing – it supports up to 64GB of storage
- You can share footage online via Facebook or other social media with your friends
- The screenshot function allows you to capture the exact moment you want
- Very compact size – 1.8 8 x 1.2 inches, so you can plug it in discreetly wherever you want to
- You can add a time and date stamp to your video footage
- There is no indicator light, so the camera will be completely concealed
- The camera supports loop recording so that the footage continues to be recorded even if the storage card is full
If you want to rest assured that your home is safe when you are at work or out, this nifty Wi-Fi security pack from Rubetek will do the perfect job.
- The pack includes an HD 720p portable Wi-Fi camera, as well as a door and a window sensor
- You will receive push notifications on your phone or tablet when a motion is detected, or when the door or window sensor is triggered
- The camera has night vision capabilities of up to 30ft
- The camera comes with a 32GB micro SD card for storage of the video footage – it can store up to 5 days of video
- Once a sensor is triggered, the camera will switch on the alarm and will begin recording, and you will receive a push notification on your phone or tablet
- The camera is battery powered, but can also be plugged in a power outlet
- It is very easy to install, set and use
- The free mobile app is available both for Android and for iOS devices
- The door and window sensors detect when either the door or the window is opened
- The built-in mic and speaker in the camera allows for two-way communication between you and your family, no matter where you are
Do you want to know what your child is doing when you are out of home? The affordable HUGOAI Wi-Fi camera will notify you as soon as your child gets home, or if somebody else enters your home, when you are not around.
- High 1080 HD video quality
- Two-way audio allows for easy communication with your loved ones even when you are away
- The camera has a motion detection function, as well as face recognition, so you can get push notifications as soon your child comes home, or if a stranger enters your premises
- It has a 30ft night vision capability
- Works with 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi networks
- Setting up the camera settings is very easy via the user-friendly mobile app
- The mobile app for controlling and viewing the footage from the camera is available both for Android and for iOS devices
- The camera has a micro SD card slot and supports cards with up to 128GB
- You also can save video footage directly to the cloud from the IP camera for free for 24 hours
- Thanks to its magnetic base, the camera can be mounted on any metal surface without the need for screws, but you will receive mounting screws if you decide to mount it on a wall
How to choose the best wireless security camera?
This depends on a number of factors. Firstly, you should choose a camera which suits your preferences. You get to choose between a wide range of Wi-Fi security cameras for all kinds of uses and needs. Here are some of the features which you should consider when buying a wireless security camera.
There are cameras which are weatherproof and are suitable for outdoor use, and cameras which are for indoor use only.
Also, there are entire wireless security systems which will allow you to set up a number of cameras in different areas, as well as single cameras which are suitable if you want to monitor just one room or one area of the house.
Most wireless cameras have night vision, but the range of the night vision capabilities varies, so make sure you check that before you buy one.
Also, wireless security cameras have motion detection, but some have face recognition, or sound detection functions as well, so consider which types of alerts you would like to receive on your phone or another device when you are choosing a Wi-Fi security camera.
Note, that some of the Wi-Fi cameras on our list have audio recording functions and others have a two way audio system, which will allow you to speak to your kids, pets or other family members even when you are outside.
If you want to install a hidden camera, then choose a smaller and less conspicuous model, or a hidden camera like the SpyStar which looks like a USB charger and not like a camera at all.
Other features to look for include the resolution and the viewing angle of the camera. There are Full HD 1080p cameras which offer top quality video footage, and there are cameras which have panoramic viewing angles reaching up to 180 degrees, which will cover larger areas and perimeters.
Consider the storage options provided by the camera maker as well, especially if you want to record surveillance video footage continuously, or if you want to keep an archive of all triggered events for a certain period of time. The different Wi-Fi cameras come with different storage options.
Some have recording devices with built-in hard disks, such as the Firstrend and the Annak security systems. Others, like the Arlo Pro 2 have an option to store videos on USB devices, and smaller cameras have SD and micro SD card slots for storage. Most camera manufacturers also offer cloud storage, but it is usually a paid service after the test period is over.
If you are into smart home devices, then choose a smart Wi-Fi security camera like the Arlo Pro 2 security system or the EZVIZ mini plus camera which are compliant with other devices from the IoT and can be controlled via voice commands.
Last but not least, look for cameras which are easy to set up, so that you don’t have to go through a complicated and frustrating setup process. All of our top picks are easy to mount and set up, so you don’t have to worry about this feature if you pick one of them.
Tips on installing your Wi-Fi security camera
If you have chosen a battery powered security camera, you can set it up just about anywhere you want, because it won’t require a power outlet to function properly. Our top pick – the Arlo Pro 2 security system has battery-powered cameras, which can also be plugged in if you want, so it is much easier for installation, especially if you choose to use them off the grid.
Other Wi-Fi security cameras which need to be plugged in can be a bit trickier because you will need a power outlet nearby. But then again, you won’t need to worry about the batteries wearing out and needing to be recharged.
The Wi-Fi cameras which come with a base or a recorder are usually factory paired with the security base or recording device so no complicated set up is required to establish a connection.
Wi-Fi cameras which are sold as separate units need to be connected to your Wi-Fi network and the Internet.
If you want to install a hidden camera, then you should opt for a more covert design such as the SpyStar Wi-Fi camera from our list.
Overall, mounting Wi-Fi cameras is easier than non-wireless options, as there will not be so many cables running around the house and ruining your décor.
Always make sure that the camera is within the range of its base, recording device or your Wi-Fi network if you want it to function properly!
So, do Wi-Fi cameras need to be plugged in?
In most cases, Wi-Fi security cameras do need to be plugged into a power outlet, but if you choose a battery or solar powered model, you will avoid having to use cables altogether.
Do Wi-Fi cameras work with all Wi-Fi bands?
Unfortunately, may less expensive Wi-Fi security cameras work with 2.4GHz Wi-Fi bands, but there are some advanced models such as the EZVIZ mini plus which works with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi networks.
How do you set up a wireless security camera
In most cases, setting up your Wi-Fi camera will be very easy. Usually, all you will need to do is plug it in, or charge the batteries of the camera and then download the client mobile app to connect to the camera and adjust the settings.
Do you need Wi-Fi for your wireless security system?
If you have chosen one of the wireless surveillance cameras which needs to be connected to your Wi-Fi then the answer is yes. But for complete security systems in which the cameras connect to their NVR recorder such as the Arlo Pro 2, the Firstrend security system, the Anakk security system, and others, the cameras are paired with their base or recorder so they will connect to each other without the need of a Wi-Fi network. These are excellent options for remote areas which don’t have internet access.
What is the range of a wireless security camera?
This depends on the type and the model of the camera, but usually, it is between 250ft to 450ft. The Arlo Pro 2 cameras have a range of up to 300ft. keep in mind that the wireless signal can be influenced by any physical barriers as well as by Wi-Fi interference from other wireless devices so always test your camera for connectivity before mounting it permanently somewhere.
We do hope that we have helped you choose a Wi-Fi security camera which meets all of your needs, and that pretty soon you will be able to take advantage of one of these handy devices.
There is no doubt that in this day and age of technology, you should take advantage of having a home or office wireless surveillance system which you can access from anywhere and which will alert you whenever something is going on in your home or other property.
You can install a Wi-Fi surveillance camera to make sure that your children, parents or pets are ok. You can also use it to keep an eye for possible intruders or other perpetrators.
All of the Wi-Fi video surveillance cameras and systems we have picked for you are excellent and reliable devices, which will allow you to feel secure and certain that everything is alright with your home, your family and with your property.
Good luck with your purchase and enjoy the convenience and the peace of mind of having an easy to set and use a wireless video surveillance system!
Last update on 2020-03-30 at 09:55 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API