The George Foreman Lean Meat Fat-Reducing Grill by Spectrum Brands is one of the most popular portable electric grills in the world.
The original George Foreman grill, which was an electric-powered portable grill was introduced in 1994 and endorsed by former heavyweight champion George Foreman.
Over 100 million of these units have been sold worldwide. This has proven to be one of the most successful endorsement campaigns of all time.
While many traditional pitmasters and serious grillers consider the George Foreman grills unworthy of their attention, these compact, portable, smokeless indoor electric grills have become a staple among apartment dwellers and dorm inhabitants worldwide.
Since 1994, the product line of the George Foreman grill store has been expanding, and there are many different types of grills to choose from.
Here are the best George Foreman grills on the market in 2022.
It is a 4-in-1 grill that can be also used as a Panini press, a muffin pan, and a baking dish. It’s the perfect compact appliance to add to a small kitchen or living space.
It is 8.5 x 15 x 13.5 inches in size and weighs 16.4 lbs. and has an ample cooking space of 75 square inches.
It comes with removable ceramic grill plates, a removable muffin pan, and a baking dish, as well as a dishwasher-safe drip tray and a spatula.
- It is a compact grill but can fit up to 5 servings at a time
- 4-in-1 multifunctionality – this appliance can be used for grilling, deep dish baking, as a Panini press, or for muffin baking
- It has nonstick ceramic, removable plates, which help reduce the need for using butter or other cooking fats, and thus allows for the reduction of up to 42% of fat used for grilling
- It comes with a muffin pan, a baking dish, a Panini plate, and a grill plate
- All of the plates and pans have cool touch edges for safe use
- It has a removable drip pan for easy cleaning
- All trays and pans are dishwasher safe
- It has a user-friendly digital control panel and bright display
- The temperatures can be adjusted from 325 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- There is a searing setting that will reach a temperature of 500 degrees Fahrenheit for just 90 seconds
- The cooking surface can be tilted to an angle so that any extra grease can drop into the drip pan
- The lid has a floating hinge so you can adjust it in accordance with the height and size of the food you are cooking
- You can buy this versatile electric indoor grill in red, black, or platinum color
- It is more expensive than other portable electric grills of this size and type
- The grill does take about 15 minutes to preheat when set to a higher temperature
Top budget option
It is a 2-serving, compact, and very inexpensive portable electric grill, suitable for single people, couples, college students, and users who do not have space for a larger grill.
- It is sold at a very affordable price suitable for even the tightest budgets
- It is very compact and portable (9.38 x 5.12 x 10.25 inches and 2.8 lbs.) and will take up a very little countertop or storage place
- The original classic plate of the grill has a tough nonstick coating and helps reduce the need for using too much fat, and is also very easy to clean
- The grill features the famous fat-reducing slope, which allows for the grease to drip into the drip tray and thus makes the food healthier
- The drip tray is easy to remove and is dishwasher safe
- It has a fast cooking time
- There is a neat cord management system
- The temperature cannot be adjusted
- The grill plate cannot be removed
- It is not as versatile as other models
- The grill offers cooking space for only 2 servings
Most wanted indoor/outdoor grill
It has a large cooking space and can easily be transformed from a standalone grill into a tabletop grill and vice versa.
- It is versatile and can be used both indoors and outside
- It is smokeless and can be used indoors safely
- It offers excellent value for your money
- The large cooking surface of 240 square inches is sufficient for cooking 15 and more serving at once
- The stand is removable, which means that you can transform the standup grill into a tabletop grill in seconds
- The drip tray has a Snap-On design and is dishwasher safe
- The temperature can be adjusted for different grilling and cooking needs
- The removable grill plate is easy to clean and can be tilted to remove up to 42% of excess fat from the food
- It has a domed grill lid which means you can fit all types and sizes of foods on the grill, and the lid has a vent to control the moisture and heat
- The power cord is not too long, which can be a problem if you don’t have a power outlet outside
- It is larger, so it will take up more storage space
The open grate option
The design of this smokeless grill is very simple but highly efficient for removing the excess fat, the smoke and also for washing up after use.
- Both the grill plate and the drip tray can be removed and are dishwasher safe
- The design of this grill ensures that the excess fat drips into the drip tray instead of remaining on the grate, causing the emission of smoke
- It features the advanced George Tough Nonstick Coating, which reduces the need for using cooking oil and butter and also makes cleaning up easy, plus the excess grease goes directly into the drip tray
- The temperature can be adjusted to low, medium, or high via a dial on the removable temperature probe
- The family size version of the grill has a 90 square inch cooking surface but also comes in a party size with a cooking area of 172 square inches
- It can be stored in a vertical position so it will not take up too much space
- You may need to adjust the temperature while cooking
Best camping grill
As a truly portable option, it is perfect for camping, picnics, and any other outdoor activities.
- The grill plate is reversible, so the grill can also be used as a griddle
- The removable grill and griddle plate features the trademark nonstick coating of the George Foreman line and is dishwasher safe
- The grill plate can be tilted to an angle so any excess fat will drop straight into the removable grease tray
- The cooking area is 200 square inches, sufficient for cooking 12 or more servings at once
- The temperature can be adjusted
- The drip tray is dishwasher safe
- It is foldable and has a removable shoulder strap for easy portability
- You can use the grill continuously at the lowest heat setting for up to 4 hours using a 1lb. propane tank
- It comes in black or gunmetal colors and has a very sleek design
- It is backed by a 3-year warranty
- Unlike the other George Foreman grills, this one cannot be used indoors
The difference between electric grills and other grills
Electric grills are inexpensive, easy to use and clean, and in many cases are apartment approved. They are compact and take up little space during use and when stored.
These convenient appliances can be used for grilling, and in many cases, for different types of cooking.
They use up little wattage, heat up faster than charcoal grills, and offer an easy and mess-free grilling experience.
Plus the clamp design of most George Foreman grills allows for faster cooking as both sides of the food are cooked at once when the lid is closed.
Don’t forget to pay attention to:
Make sure you check what the cooking area of the grill is before buying it. Will the cooking area be sufficient for grilling food for all family members at the same time, or will you need to cook separate batches?
It is advisable to choose a grill with a cooking surface that is about 2 times more than what you have calculated because the food does need to be placed at least ½ inch from one another.
The original George Foreman 2-serving grill is hugely successful but doesn’t have temperature control. The other grills on this list have an adjustable temperature, which means that you can cook different food types and prepare different recipes with specific temperature requirements.
The drip tray is essential for any grill, especially the George Foreman grills which rely on their angled plate design which sends all excess grease into the drip tray for the success of their grills.
Plus, it helps keep the cooking are mess-free and smoke-free. A removable and dishwasher-safe drip tray is much easier to clean after use.
A warranty is something that will give you peace of mind when you invest your hard-earned money in a grill. The longer the warranty – the more faith the manufacturer has in the product.
Some of the grills on the list like our top choice come with useful accessories, such as additional trays and pans. Others come with spatulas, recipe books, covers, and more.
Most of the George Foreman grills have removable and replaceable plates, which make them easy to clean, and more versatile cooking appliances.
Proper care and maintenance
While most George Foreman grills are relatively simple and easy to use appliances, here are some tips to follow for proper maintenance and safety of these devices:
- Ensure that the grill plate is hot enough before placing the food to avoid it from sticking on the surface and to make the cooking faster and more efficient
- Always make sure that the grill is placed on an even surface to prevent it from falling and wobbling
- Make sure that you wash the grill plate and the drip tray after every use – most of them are dishwasher safe, which makes this task even easier
- If the grill doesn’t have a removable plate, use a soapy washcloth to wipe the grilling surface
- Avoid using abrasive scouring pads when cleaning the plates
- Do not submerge the electric grill in water, and be careful not to get the electrical connector wet
- Make sure that the grill plates and the drip tray are dry when you put them back on the grill
George Foreman grills may seem like a cheap solution for poor college students, but the truth is, these appliances are very convenient and often can replace the need for buying and storing a lot more expensive kitchen appliances.
You can use them as grills, as well as to prepare breakfast, sandwiches, waffles, cook veggies, and many more.
There are multiple recipe books and online videos where you can find delicious recipes prepared on a George Foreman grill which you can use for inspiration.
- Ceramic vs. Porcelain Plates – What’s The Difference? - March 19, 2022
- How To Store Baguette, So It Stays Fresh - March 18, 2022
- Does Vanilla Extract Go Bad? - March 16, 2022
Last update on 2022-05-19 at 06:00 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API