Indoor cats spend much less time roaming around, hunting, and playing than outdoor ones. This means that they do not require high-calorie food to stay healthy, fit, and well.
Also, indoor cats often suffer from hairballs and other digestive and urinary problems.
All of these can be resolved if you feed your indoor kitty with the appropriate cat food for indoor cats.
Best Cat Food for Indoor Cats
We have picked the top cat foods for indoor cats for 2021, including dry, wet, and topper foods from premium brands and pet food manufacturers.
First-rate dry foods for indoor cats
Specially formulated for indoor cats, this premium quality dry cat food is balanced when it comes to calories from proteins and fat and also contains omega 3 and 6 fatty acids to help your cat’s coat stay shiny and beautiful and to keep its skin healthy and well.
- Designed and made especially for indoor cats
- Made of real protein as the first main ingredient
- The other ingredients are wholesome grains and healthy fruits and veggies.
- The kibble promotes healthy digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight for less active indoor cats.
- Includes LifeSource Bits for a more delicious and healthy experience
- It helps boost the immune system.
- It contains 32% crude protein, min. 15% crude fat, 6% fiber, and a maximum of 9% moisture
- There are no poultry by-product meals, no wheat, corn, soy, artificial preservatives in the recipe.
- It contains all vitamins, antioxidants, and nutrients to keep your furbaby healthy and well.
- The food is available in chicken and Brown rice and Salmon and brown rice formulas.
- It is sold in bags of 3, 7, and 15 lbs.
If your kitty is allergic or sensitive to grains, then this dry food from the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Nature’s Evolutionary Diet series is a perfect everyday recipe for it. It is grain-free, high in protein, and made of real ingredients with no added potentially unhealthy by-product meals, artificial preservatives, or grains.
- It is suitable for all indoor adult felines
- Made with real chicken and chicken and fish meal
- With added LifeSource Bits for a better taste and added vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
- 100% grain-free and suitable for pets with sensitivities and allergies
- Rich in healthy carbs like peas, potatoes, and sweet potatoes, and high in antioxidants from the added carrots, cranberries, and blackberries
- Developed for healthy muscle development of indoor cars
- Promotes healthy digestion and optimal nutrient absorption
- Includes omega fatty acids for healthy skin and a shiny coat
- Promotes the immune system and the health of the eyes and heart
- It also helps keep the cat within a normal weight
- Includes 38% protein min., 16% fat, 6% max. fiber and 9% moisture
- It doesn’t contain any unhealthy and fattening fillers and preservatives
- Sold in bags of 1 and 5 lbs.
This dry can food for indoor cats by Purina features a tasty salmon egg and sweet potato recipe. It is a suitable everyday food for adult cats living indoors and is rich in omega fatty acids, amino acids, and premium quality proteins and carbs.
- The first ingredient is real salmon.
- The kibble is low in fat, which will keep your indoor cat healthy and with a normal weight.
- Salmon is an excellent natural source of healthy omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for a beautiful coat and healthy skin.
- The dry food is formulated to provide a balanced diet for overall health.
- It is grain-free with no wheat, corn, soy, by-products, or artificial preservatives, colors, and flavors
- It is sold in 3 lb. bags.
This is a premium quality food for indoor cats by Royal Canin, which is suitable for all felines aged from 1 to 7 years. It helps move the hairballs from the digestive system and provides a balanced and controlled diet to prevent weight gain in less active kitties that live indoors.
- It is formulated to provide all nutrients but with fewer calories for indoor cats with a more leisurely lifestyle
- Made of highly digestible ingredients and proteins for better nutrition and smaller stool amounts and odors
- Thanks to the distinctive crunchy kibble texture, the cat will also clean its teeth and massage its gums naturally
- It helps manage hairballs and pass them through the digestive system
- It contains a minimum of 27% crude protein, minimum of 11% fat and 5.7% fiber, and 7% moisture
- 1 cup of the kibble has 325 kcal
- The first ingredient is chicken meal
- It is available in 3, 7, and 15 lb. bags
The Crave grain-free indoor cat dry food has a high protein content, which will help boost the immune system, strengthen the muscles and promote healthy digestion.
- The premium quality dry food is available in various recipes, including chicken, chicken and salmon, salmon and ocean fish, and turkey chicken and duck
- There is also a specialized formula for indoor kittens aged up to 12 months
- It contains a high protein content of 40% with real protein as the main ingredient
- It is grain-free
- There are no chicken by-product meal, artificial preservatives, flavors or colors, or corn, soy or wheat proteins
- The kibble is crunchy and very palatable even for the pickiest eaters
- The food helps boost the coat and skin health and helps manage hairball problems in the digestive system
- It can be purchased in bags of 2, 4, or 10 lbs.
- Suitable for moderately active adult cats aged 1-7
- It contains probiotics to promote a good gut flora, a healthy digestive system, and a strong immune system
- It also contains antioxidants and omega fatty acids for better overall health and looks
- The food contains a minimum of 30% protein, 15% fat, 3% fiber, and 10% moisture
- It is available in bags of 6, 20, and 40 lbs.
- The food has 350 kcal per cup
- It is suitable for pampered indoor cats and feral cats alike
- Sold at a very reasonable price
If you are picky about the ingredients used for your cat’s dry food, then this Orijen Fit and Trim Premium quality meat dry cat food should satisfy your preferences, and your kitty will love it as well.
- The formula is biologically appropriate for felines and is protein-rich, made of local fresh ingredients from trusted sources
- The kibble is made of free-run poultry, wild-caught fish, and cage-free whole eggs as the main proteins
- The food contains deboned chicken, chicken liver, deboned turkey, whole eggs, and a whole herring as its first ingredients
- It has a minimum of 44% crude protein, minimum 15% crude fat, maximum 6% fiber, and 10% moisture
- It is grain-free and suitable for cats with allergies or sensitivities to grains
- Every bag of this kibble is made of 90% quality real meat and ingredients, 2/3 of them are fresh or raw, and 6-8 whole prey meats, organs, and cartilage
- It contains 428 kcal per 8-oz cup
- It is sold in bags of 4 and 12 lbs., and in 12-oz packs
This high protein raw coated kibble has been formulated to help indoor and inactive cats maintained a lean body mass, and at the same time, satisfy their natural cravings for real raw meat. This food can be fed to kittens, adult and senior felines.
- It is a special indoor health formula for a healthy weight and lean muscles thanks to the real protein and dietary fiber
- The food is coated with freeze-dried real chicken which is something every cat craves
- All ingredients come from trusted sources only
- Prepared batch by batch in the company’s own kitchen in Texas
- The food contains probiotics for well-balanced gut flora and a strong immune system
- It also includes 3 and 6 omega fatty acids for a beautiful coat, healthy skin, and overall health
- There are antioxidants that help support the immune system of the cat too
- It is suitable for cats in all life stages – kittens, adults, and seniors
- It is 100% grain-free
- The food contains no wheat, soy, corn, anything artificial, and no meat by-products
- The first five ingredients are chicken, turkey, turkey meal, chicken meal, and whitefish meal
- It contains a minimum of 38% crude protein, a minimum of 16% crude fat, a maximum of 6% crude fiber, and 9% moisture
- The caloric value is 497 kcal/cup
- The food is available in bags of 2.5, 5, and 10 lbs.
- You can also buy it in the other recipes in the series which are real turkey and salmon, or real salmon as the number 1 ingredient
This high-quality kibble is formulated to promote the health and wellbeing of indoor cats and to improve digestion and help the kitty feel happy and sate after each meal.
- It is suitable for indoor adult cats aged 1 to 7 years old
- This is a chicken recipe with real chicken as the first ingredient, and other all-natural whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, plus the essential vitamins, minerals, and amino acids
- The food helps promote better digestion and make the litter box cleaning experience much easier for you
- It contains antioxidants with clinically proven health benefits for felines
- The food doesn’t contain artificial preservatives, colors or flavors, or other fillers
- The dry cat food is sold with a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so you can return it and get your money back if your kitty doesn’t like it or doesn’t react well to it
- The food contains natural proteins and fibers that will keep the cat feeling full in between meals and prevent hunger pangs and overeating
- It is the No.1 veterinary recommended food
- Available in 3.5, 7, and 15.5 lb. bags and in 5.5-oz cans
This dry food is another premium quality kibble suitable for indoor cats, which can help control the weight of less active cats, and also help hairballs move and pass through the cat’s digestive system easily.
- Part of the famous Blue Wilderness Natural Evolutionary Diet
- Created to help support healthy digestion and weight and to prevent hairballs
- This is a chicken recipe and contains LifeSource bits which are delicious and filled with essential vitamins, minerals, omegas, and antioxidants
- The first ingredient is deboned chicken
- The other ingredients are all-natural too including sweet potatoes, cranberries, carrots, and blueberries
- It doesn’t contain poultry by-product meals, soy wheat corn, artificial additives, and flavors
- The minimum crude protein is 38%, 16% fat, 5% fiber, and 9% moisture
- There are 410 kcal per cup
- Available in 5 and 11 lb. bags
This Wellness Core dry cat food is made with a focus on the cat’s healthy weight, digestive, skin, coat, immune system, eye, teeth, and gum health.
It is a highly palatable kibble that is a preferred everyday food even by the fussiest eaters.
- Made of more than 65% real, high-quality protein
- The first ingredients are deboned turkey, deboned turkey meal, and chicken meal.
- The food is fortified with probiotics, vitamins, and probiotics.
- Thanks to the included salmon oil and flaxseed, your cat will get the omega fatty acids it needs to have a shiny coat and healthy skin
- The formula doesn’t contain any meat by-products, artificial flavors or preservative, or fillers
- It is grain-free, gluten-free.
- The food contains a minimum of 45% crude protein, minimum 18% crude fat, maximum 3% fiber, and 10% moisture
- It has 497 kcal per cup
- The premium cat food is sold in 2, 5, and 11 lb. bags
Surely you want your cat to eat the best quality and healthiest food, so why don’t you try out the premium Nutro Wholesome Essentials dry cat food for adult indoor cats?
- It is made of GMO-free ingredients and clean, farm-raised chicken
- The first ingredients are chicken, chicken meal, brewers rice, pea protein, and whole brown rice
- There is no corn, wheat, soy, or poultry by-product meals, or any artificial additives
- The food contains naturally sourced omega fatty acids for healthy skin and a shiny coat
- The protein content will help keep the muscles of the cat lean, and its weight under control
- It has natural fiber for healthy digestion
- The kibble contains a minimum of 33% protein, 14% fat, 7% fiber, and 10% moisture
- It is 378 kcal per cup
- It is available in bags of 3 and 14 lbs.
This food has also been specially prepared with indoor cats in mind. It is made of high-quality proteins with real chicken meat being the number one ingredient.
- Real farm-raised chicken combined with healthy lentils and salmon are the main ingredients of this excellent dry food
- The chicken meal is a superb natural source of healthy amino acids and omega fatty acids for lean muscles, skin health, and a soft and shiny coat
- The lentils are a source of natural dietary fiber which will help keep the cat’s digestive system healthy, and keep its weight under control as well
- The food also includes dandelion greens which have probiotics that will keep the gut flora healthy and balanced
- It has antioxidant and vitamin-rich cranberries and blueberries in the mix as well
- The food contains a minimum of 34% protein, a minimum of 12% crude fat, 8% fiber, and 9% moisture
- The calorie content is 354 kcal per cup
- The kibble is also available in other recipes including chicken, chickpeas and salmon and Turkey, chickpeas, and salmon
- It is sold in bags of 3, 6, and 14 lbs.
Best wet food for indoor cats
Since indoor cats don’t usually drink too much water, they often need to eat wet food to stay properly hydrated. This is why it is recommended that you introduce some sort of wet food as part of their daily and weekly dietary regimen.
This high-quality, healthy Gourmet Indoor Chicken Entrée is a great way to start with the introduction of canned food to your kitty’s diet.
- It is textured as a mouthwatering delicate pate that even the most finicky eaters will love
- You can serve it as a main meal, or as a delicious topper for the dry food
- The food is very palatable and has added gravy for an even more irresistible taste
- The real broth in the food will help keep your kitty hydrated and its urinary health well
- The food is made of wholesome and natural ingredients only
- The first ingredient is real chicken, and there are added healthy garden-grown vegetables
- It also includes antioxidant-rich fruits like cranberries
- There are natural sources of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids in the food for healthy and good looking skin and coat
- It is full of taurine, minerals, and vitamins too
- The first 5 ingredients are chicken, chicken liver, chicken broth, water, and brown rice
- The wet food contains 10% protein, 6% fat, 2% fiber, and 78% moisture
- It contains 108 kcal per 3-oz can
- The food is available in a wide variety of recipes including indoor chicken pate, indoor salmon pate entree, mature chicken pate, ocean fish and tuna pate, turkey and chicken pate, beef pate, and a variety pack
- It doesn’t contain wheat, corn, soy, meat by-product meals or artificial additives and flavors
- It is available in cans sized 3, 5.5, and 12.5 ounces
If your indoor kitty prefers a chunky texture, then we recommend this high-quality wet food for indoor cats by Pro Plan. You can use it as a main course, or add some as a topper to the dry food so your cat gets adequately hydrated, and is treated to a delicious meal.
- The food is made of mouthwatering chunks of real chicken, pasta, and tomatoes in gravy
- Formulated to provide a completely balanced diet for any adult cat
- It contains powerful antioxidants for a strong immune system and overall wellbeing
- It contains omega 6 fatty acids for a beautiful coat and healthy skin
- The first five ingredients are water, chicken, liver, wheat gluten, and tomatoes
- The wet food contains 10% proteins, 2% fat, 1.5% fiber and 82% moisture
- It has 70 kcal per can
- The food is sold in packs of 24 3-oz cans
Made specifically for indoor cats, this delicious wet cat food by Hill’s Science Diet helps the cat maintain lean muscle and makes litter box cleanup an easier task for you too.
- It is available in savory chicken and ocean fish recipes
- They contain pure proteins for lean muscles
- The food is formulated to help the kitty maintain a healthy weight and to prevent hairballs
- It contains taurine for better vision and heart function
- Suitable for indoor cats aged 1 to 6
- It doesn’t contain peas
- The texture of the food is minced
- Its main ingredients are real chicken and tuna (for the two different recipes)
- It contains 8% protein, 4.6% fat, 2% fiber and 78% moisture
- The premium quality wet food is sold in packs of 24 5.5-oz cans
- They are 174 kcal per can
If your pet cat has digestive problems or food sensitivities or allergies, the safest way to introduce some wet food to its diet is via this delicious kibble topper by Applaws. It has limited ingredients, and any cat will enjoy munching on its mouthwatering flavor.
- It is made of limited ingredients – mackerel, tuna, fish broth, and rice only – perfect for allergic and sensitive cats
- There are no artificial additives
- It has 15% crude protein, 0.5% fat, 1% fiber and 82% moisture
- The topper is sold in 24 packs of 2.47-oz
- A special gourmet recipe for finicky eaters
- The main ingredients are fish broth, salmon, wheat gluten, liver, and meat by-products
- It is fortified with minerals and vitamins as well as taurine which is essential for the heart and eye health of your kitty
- It can be used as a kibble topper or can be a complete balanced meal by itself
- Helps improve the urinary health of the cat by providing it with the hydration it needs thanks to the added real fish broth
- The wet food has chunks in gravy texture
- The food contains 11% protein, 2% fat, 1.5% fiber and 80% moisture
- It has 72 kcal per can
- The food is sold in cases of 24 3-oz cans
If your kitty gets bored eating the same food and taste every day, then you should try out one of the superb variety packs of wet food by Soulistic.
- The variety pack includes 3 chicken dinner in gravy, 3 duck dinner in gravy, 3 salmon dinner in gravy, and 3 turkey dinner in gravy, so your cat will get a new gourmet meal every time
- Made with cage-free chicken and turkey with no antibiotics or hormones used, and with white caught, safe, and responsibly sourced wild fish
- The food is gluten, GMO, MSG and grain-free
- It is made in a human food facility
- This pack of 12 5.5-oz wet foods will quickly become the favorite meal of even the pickiest felines
Last update on 2021-07-26 at 20:03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API