Are you planning to cut large pieces of meat for your brisket preparation? Then don’t rely on a standard butcher board since it won’t handle the pressure. Cutting large chunks of meat is a heavy-duty task that needs the best butcher block. That’s because it is expressly built to handle tremendous force.
Currently, the market is flooded with many options. This means that finding the best product is not as easy as you might think.
You can’t just walk into a store and pick the first butcher block you come across. So, we have conducted research about the best butcher blocks to help you make an informed choice.
If you have ever prepared a brisket, you understand that a flimsy plastic board won’t be helpful. The problem with many chopping boards is that they do not hold the juice.
They are also not broad enough to accommodate large meat chunks. So, a quality wood butcher block should have the required accessories for any pitmaster or griller.
Let’s look at the best butcher blocks for slicing large chunks of meat.
The AZRHOM Large Walnut Butcher Block is made from American walnut wood. It comes with a collection of stunning shades of textures and colors that offers a new style to a dull kitchen. It’s a high-quality butcher block that is strong, simple to use, odor-free, easy to clean, and durable.
Note that the butcher block comes pre-oiled so that you can use it immediately when you unbox it. With a smooth and rescindable surface, you will cut or chop any food you want on this cutting.
Furthermore, it features a broad and deep groove to trap meat juices released by the meat while carving it. That’s correct; no meat juices will spill over your stunning kitchen countertop. The in-built handles make the block easier to carry from the countertop to the dining table.
The butcher block is extremely firm and prevents the knife from getting dull. It also comes with slip mats that make the board steady and prevent it from slipping or making sounds when chopping the meat.
While this chopping board might develop knife marks, if well maintained, this opulently colored board will stand the test of time. Like other butcher blocks, AZRHOM Large Walnut Butcher Block must be hand cleaned to preserve its longevity.
Generally, this board is ideal for carving beef, brisket, pork ribs, charcuterie, or cheese platters.
- The makers of this board provide a lifetime guarantee
- It has a reversible side. This increases the longevity of the board since you will not wear out one side quicker than the other provided you flip it regularly
- It is water-resistant and does not take on scars easily
- Can slide around easily
- Requires sandling as it will be rough
The Catskill Craftsmen End Grain Chopping Block measures 21 inches by 17 inches and 2 inches thick. It’s one of the largest chopping blocks you’ll find in the market. It weighs 19 pounds, and this helps the block to stay fixed and avoid sliding. The material used to make this block is quite heavy. However, it’s durable and designed to last for many years, provided you maintain the surface with regular oiling and appropriate cleaning.
The chopping board is large and heavy so it may be difficult to carry and handle for some. It would also help if you were keen when the block has juice or food on its surface. Since it lacks juice grooves, there is nothing to prevent moisture from spilling onto the kitchen floor or countertop and causing a mess.
- Has handles on either side for easy carrying
- Excellent lifespan due to its thickness
- A large surface that can hold huge chunks of meat.
- Lacks juice grooves to catch the meat juice, hence you must be keen when handling your meat.
The Budget Pick
Made of Mohy bamboo material, this block is heavy-duty and durable to handle all your cutting needs. It has a wider surface which makes it ideal for chopping large chunks of meat. Furthermore, it has a thickness of 1.5 inches. This means it’s ideal for crushing hard bones.
The board features a juice groove that helps in preventing a mess on the countertop. It is easy to clean, as you will only need to use mild detergent and warm water.
- Has a Juice-catching grove
- Handles for easy handling
- Easy to clean
- Long-lasting and heavy-duty material
- Extremely heavy
As it is NSF-approved, it’s not surprising that the block is the top choice for many professional chefs globally. It comes with a thick construction, making it difficult to deface even with a sharp knife. Additionally, the block features handle grips that make carrying your food easy.
It has a reversible design with two flat and spacious ends to make your cutting convenient.
Astonishingly, the block is built using hand-picked solid edge-grain maple wood material, widely known as a long-lasting material. As for the design, John Boos Maple Wood Butcher Block has an attractive look, making it suitable for your kitchen countertop.
- Long-lasting build
- Stunning design
- Incorporated handle grips
- Ideal for commercial kitchens
- Extremely heavy
Best Round One
The John Boos Round Chopping Block has made a name for itself thanks to its durability and efficiency. The block is built using hand-picked maple wood, which is known to be a long-lasting material. Additionally, this material has enzymes that kill bacteria, making the board antimicrobial.
With a measurement of 18 inches and 3 inches thick, the block will serve you well. Even though it comes with a round shape that might look unpopular, this doesn’t take anything from its incredibleness.
Furthermore, the block features a food-safe organic oil finish that helps protect the maple wood during transportation.
Since the material is knife-friendly, you won’t worry about the knife becoming dull faster. However, maintaining and cleaning this chopping board is a real task since it can be hard to clean. But the moment you figure out how to go about its maintenance, the board will serve you for many years.
- Broad cutting area
- Antimicrobial surface
- Thick construction
- High-quality material
- Knife friendly
- Hard to clean
- It might crack on the edges
Why Wood Butcher Blocks are Awesome?
As a solution to avoid the widely utilized plastic chopping blocks, shifting to wooden ones is a perfect alternative. While plastic chopping boards may be cheap, they are not environmentally friendly. Below are other reasons that make wood butcher blocks an excellent choice.
1. They are Easy to Maintain and Repair
Chopping boards are exposed to a range of sharp knives every time, and they tend to show scratches and nicks slowly. However, when you properly oil a wooden chopping board, it will feel smooth and intact. This will improve their durability.
2. Variety and Durability
Wooden blocks are long-lasting as they can withstand frequent heavy use in the kitchen or a butcher shop. However, you need to maintain it well through frequent cleaning and oiling. Besides durability, they are available in a wide range of varieties.
3. Knife Safety
Frequent use of knives on plastic chopping boards will make them get dull fast. On the other hand, a wooden butcher’s block does not interfere with a knife’s blade or sharpness.
4. Beautiful Appearance
Having a wooden chopping board will help you maintain classiness in the kitchen. It fits any kitchen when it comes to aesthetics and has a timeless appeal.
Wood boards are superior to plastic chopping boards for many reasons. They include:
- Many wooden butcher blocks have juice catching grooves
- Most wooden butcher blocks are wide enough to fit large chunks of meat and whole brisket
- They maintain a knife’s sharpness
- They are durable
Not to forget, environmentalists will love the fact that these wooden chopping boards are made from renewable resources – waste wood material. This plays a role in keeping harmful plastics out of the ecosystem.
Note that plastic chopping boards tend to be more hygienic since they are easy to wash. However, some bacteria can remain on the surface of a plastic block even after cleaning. Besides, plastic tends to be scarred by sharp knives. So, bacteria can get into these tiny cracks and become a nuisance to remove, ultimately filtering into the food you place on the board’s surface. Though wood is hard to clean, it cannot easily get deep scratches on it.
For these reasons, wood is an ideal material when it comes to butcher chopping blocks.
Different Types of Wood Used to Make Butcher Blocks
Even though almost all wood butcher blocks are better than plastic chopping boards, some woods tend to be superior to others.
Some of the best wood butcher blocks are made from cherry, walnut, bamboo, or maple.
- Cherry- This is a perfect choice for numerous circumstances. The wood will last many years, and it’s a beautiful addition to any kitchen.
- Walnut – It is high-quality wood for butcher blocks. It’s heavy and dense and looks beautiful. Its thickness prevents the knife from slipping off its spot.
- Bamboo – This is a cheap alternative that’s more eco-friendly because it’s more of a species of grass. Blocks made from bamboo are easy to clean and maintain.
- Maple – It is a heavy and robust choice that produces durable boards.
Generally, any of these choices will be great for your wooden butcher chopping board. Your choice, therefore, depends on your personal preference.
How to Take Care of Your Wood Butcher Block
Buying your favorite wood butcher block is not enough. You will need to maintain the product so that it will be usable for many years. Proper maintenance will make the board look good as well.
Even though wood is one of the hygienic block materials, it can absorb food juices and bacteria because wood is porous. Moisture accumulation in the block will warp the material or make it expand and crack. Rotten wood produces a terrible odor and is unhygienic for food preparation. So, the only option is to discard it. To avoid this scenario, it would help if you oiled the board after you unbox it.
Here’s how to go about it:
- Get an ordinary food-safe mineral oil.
- Soak the block in mineral oil as you spread it across the surface.
- Once you saturate the board, remove the oil using a dishcloth. Note that this dishcloth will be utilized for the maintenance of your board. So, do not use it for other chores.
- If you do this correctly, the wood butcher block will look slick and full of oil. Allow the board to dry for a couple of minutes to allow the wood to absorb the oil.
- The board’s side should have a uniform color, and if you see dry spots, add more oil and redo the procedure. Repeat the process on the other side and allow them to air dry. The effective way to do this is by letting your board rest upright in a dish holder or lid such that the two sides get enough exposure overnight.
Repeat this oiling process any time you notice the board’s oil layer beginning to reduce. You can know when it’s thin if juices drip onto the surface. Fluids that penetrate the wood are not blocked by oil.
A time-saving technique is to combine knife sharpening practice with the oiling process.
Use sandpaper if you notice scars or marks on your block. Sand it diligently and make sure you clear the residue after you are done. Remember to oil the block afterward.
Use a damp fabric and detergent to clean the block and get rid of excessive debris and dirt. Avoid using a lot of water to prevent wearing down the oil layer fast. You should then use a solution to sanitize the surface of the board and allow it to air dry, for the best results.
Generally, the AZRHOM Large Walnut Butcher Block is the best chopping board for all your kitchen needs and concerns. It’s made of high-quality material that will not dull your knives. The block will last for many years, and its deep juice-catching groove helps prevent spill messes in the kitchen.
Nevertheless, irrespective of the product you choose, make sure you oil the butcher block to extend its durability and efficiency.
- Top Food Processors with a Glass Bowl - February 12, 2022
- Flank Steak vs Skirt Steak: Which One Is Best? (4 Big Differences) - February 12, 2022
- How to Clean a Flat Top Grill – Best Practices & Tips - February 12, 2022
Last update on 2022-05-17 at 15:00 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API