Best Blow Dryer For Natural Hair
Drying natural hair should be done with optimal care and attention if you want to keep your hair looking healthy, shiny, and perfect every time after you have washed it, as well as to reduce the risk of damaging it or ending up with frizzy hair after using a blow dryer.
Finding a good blow dryer for natural hair is not as easy a task as it may sound.
This is why we have compiled a list of the top-rated blow dryers for natural hair for 2021 for you. We have picked the highest quality, safest, most versatile, and best-priced styling tools for you.
The runner-up in our list of blow dryers for natural hair is another superb styling tool by BaBylissPRO. This is a professional dryer with Nano Titanium technology and a built-in ion generator that dries and styles the hair and leaves it silky and smooth rather than burnt or damaged by excessive heat.
This is a high-end pro-range hairdryer that combines a fashionable design, 2,000 watts of power, and an ergonomic and lightweight body.
- It features the hair protection Nano Titanium technology, which will make natural hair look smoother, softer, and moisturized adequately after each use.
- Your hair will be frizz and static-free after using it.
- The tool has 6 speed and heat settings.
- It also has an easy-to-access cold shot button to help preserve the hairstyle for a longer.
- It has heat and drying power output of 2,000 watts.
- The body is ergonomic and offers a secure and comfortable grip at all angles.
- It is suitable for all hair types, including long, coarse, or thick hair.
- It has an easy-to-clean filter to increase the longevity of the appliance.
- It has a hook for easy and neat storage.
- The hairdryer comes with a nozzle attachment if you need a higher concentration of airflow on certain parts of your hair.
- The size of the dryer is 8.5 x 3.5 x 10 inches, and it weighs a mere 1.8 lbs.
- It is sold with a 4-year warranty by the manufacturer.
- It is pricier than many other blow dryers with these features and in this range.
The top-rated BaBylissPRO Ceramix Xtreme is a professional salon blow dryer for natural hair, which will help protect your hair from heat damage, and will also allow you to style and dry your hair as you wish.
The high-quality dryer has six-speed and heat settings, and the air is pressured through a narrow barrel, which makes it more concentrated and more efficient for faster drying and styling of natural hair.
- This is a pro-range hair drying tool suitable for salon and home use.
- It has 2,000 watts of hair drying power.
- It has 6 speed and heat settings to choose from
- There is a quick cold shot button to “freeze” the desired hairstyle.
- The air is blasted through a narrow barrel allowing for a higher concentration of the air on wet areas for more efficient and faster drying.
- The tool is very easy to use, and the controls are easy to access and find during the drying.
- It features ceramic technology for even dispersing of the heat for faster drying with minimal damage and no frizz.
- It has convenient and ergonomic rubberized housing for a steady grip.
- The styling tool has a removable lint filter to keep the motor running and working for longer.
- It has a hook for easy storage.
- The tool is sold with a 2-year limited warranty.
- The narrow barrel can be burdensome if you are trying to dry very thick or long hair.
The best budget-friendly option
If you are not ready to break the bank for a blow dryer for natural hair, then one of the greatest bargains you can find in 2021 is this inexpensive compact hair dryer by Revlon.
It costs just over $10 and is a brilliant choice if you need a reliable hair dryer for traveling.
The tool has two heat and speed settings allowing for superb control and flexibility when it comes to drying all kinds of hair.
Thanks to the cold shot button, you can help preserve that ideal hairstyle you have achieved every time.
- It costs a fraction of what other hair dryers on this list cost.
- It is lightweight and compact – perfect for traveling.
- You can buy it in black, pink or yellow color options.
- The styling tool has two heat and speed settings as well as a cold shot button.
- It has a power of 1,875 watts.
- It has a useful hanging ring for easy storage and access.
- The end cap can be removed for easy cleaning of lint, dust, and others.
- The size of the tool is only 3.4 x 9.4 x 7.2 inches, and it weighs 1 lb.
- It would have been even more suitable for traveling if its handle was foldable.
The rest of the blow dryers for natural hair for 2021
This hair dryer for natural hair by John Frieda is one of the best bangs for the buck you will find in 2021. It is reasonably priced, and yet has all the features you need to dry your natural hair safely, and to style it as preferred.
This high-quality hair dryer has multiple features that have helped it earn its place among the top hair dryers for natural hair for 2021.
- It utilizes Advance Ionic Technology, which removed static and eliminates frizz from the hair.
- Its grille is titanium ceramic coated for even and safe heat dispersion.
- The tool offers 3 heat and 2-speed settings.
- It also has a cold shot button for freezing the hairstyle into place.
- You will receive two concentrators and a diffuser for adding volume or forming curls.
- The manufacturer claims that it will dry your hair 50% faster, so it is less likely to damage it thanks to its powerful and light 1,875 watt AC motor.
- Its controls flaunt a professional rocker design.
- The size of the styling tool is 4.1 x 11.6 x 9.5 inches, and it weighs 2 lbs.
- Some users may find it challenging to get used to the professional-targeted placement of the rocker controls on the side of the handle rather than on its front.
This great-looking hairdryer is another reasonably priced styling tool suitable for drying natural hair safely and quickly.
It is a professional salon performance appliance with an AC motor with 1,875-watt power.
It can reduce frizz by 75%, and comes with useful accessories for styling your hair according to your preferences.
- A powerful salon-grade AC motor with a hair drying power of up to 1,875 watts
- Suitable for professional and for home use
- 3 heat settings and 2 speeds to choose the perfect airflow for your hair
- A cold shot button to lock the hair into the preferred position
- It can dry hair up to 50% faster than traditional dryers making it more efficient and safe
- The hair is dispersed evenly thanks to its use of ceramic technology
- The dryer comes with a useful diffuser as well as a concentrator to curl, straighten or add volume to your hair
- It has a 6-foot long power cord and a hanging ring for storage
- The tool is sold in a variety of beautiful metallic colors, including orange, burgundy, blue, purple, matte black
- Its dimensions are 3.5 x 8.5 x 10 inches, and it weighs 2.2 lbs.
- It weighs 2.2 lbs. so it can be heavy for some users, especially for prolonged use.
The Rusk Super Freak hair dryer is one of the top-performing blow dryers for natural hair for 2021.
It has an extremely powerful Italian-made motor with a 2,000-watt output, which can dry even the thickest, coarsest and longest hair in a matter of minutes.
Thanks to its ceramic and tourmaline features and the ionic generator, this styling tool will dry your hair to perfection every time, without any hair damage or frizz.
- A powerful 2,000-watt Italian motor
- Professional salon quality styling tool
- Infused with tourmaline and ceramic for even heat distribution and faster drying via the far-infrared heat
- It has a total of seven-speed and heat settings.
- It will dry your hair with zero frizz.
- An ergonomically designed handle and body for easy and comfortable use
- It features professional side button placement.
- A size of 4.5 x 10.3 x 10.5 inches, and a weight of only 1 lb.
- It is expensive
This is yet another blow dryer, which is preferred by professional stylists but is also suitable and affordable enough for home use too.
Its powerful DC motor provides a long and strong airflow, which is perfect for drying and styling natural hair.
It is lightweight, comfortable to hold, and offers an abundance of features for drying and styling any type of hair safely and smoothly. Plus, it is one of the quietest blow dryers in this range.
- A 1,875 watt DC motor
- Powerful airflow for safe and efficient drying and styling
- It has 2 speed and 3 heat settings and a cool button.
- The far infrared negative ionic heat from the ceramic tourmaline grill helps eliminate the static and disperses the heat evenly and safely.
- The dryer is lightweight and is ergonomically designed for a non-slip and comfortable grip.
- It has an added concentrator which you can add to focus the airflow into smaller portions of your hair.
- It has a 9-foot cord and a loop for hanging it when it is not in use.
- The dryer operates 40% quieter than other hair dryers in this range.
- It has a removable filter for easy maintenance and cleaning.
- The overall dimensions of the appliance are 11 x 8.3 x 3.5 inches, and it weighs 1.3 lbs.
- It doesn’t have dual voltage, so if you go abroad you will need a switch or transformer for 220V.
The Drybar Buttercup blow dryer is the most expensive blow dryer for natural hair on this list, but it fast, ultra-powerful and treats hair gently and safely, while leaving the best results after drying or styling.
This professional hairdryer is lightweight, has multiple heat and speed settings, and is sold with a 2-year warranty.
- A very powerful 1,875 watt motor for faster drying
- An Ionic technology for frizz-free and smooth hair as well as for hair cuticle repair
- A wave heater technology which distributes the heat evenly and faster for safer and faster use
- It weighs only 1.2lbs.
- It has 3 heat settings and two airspeed settings
- Sold with a 2-year limited warranty
- A professional 9-foot cord
- It comes with two different concentrator nozzles – a wider and a narrower one for longer hair or for precision styling
- It has a modern yellow look
- It costs more than most of the other pro-grade blow dryers of this range
The CHI Tech blow dryer for natural hair is perfect for traveling or for quick on-the-go styling and hair drying.
It is designed by professional hairstylists and has a 1,400 watt motor with two-speed settings to choose from.
It is small, lightweight, and affordable.
- A compact size, a lightweight, and a foldable handle, as well as dual voltage, making it perfect for traveling, portability, and storage
- A 1,400-watt motor
- It features a ceramic heater which reduces static and frizz
- It also has Blue LED light antimicrobial Rapid Clean technology to avoid the risk of microbial buildup inside the unit, and for cleaner air during use
- It has two heat settings
- An included air concentrator nozzle
- Sold at an affordable price
- A size of 10 x 3 x 11 inches, and weighs of 1lb.
- It doesn’t have a cold shot button
Features to look for when shopping for a blow dryer for natural hair
If you want to buy a high-quality hair dryer for natural hair, you may want to consider the following features, to make sure that you are making the best choice for your needs, for your hair, and for your budget.
As you can see from the brief reviews of the blow dryers on our list, each of the styling tools has specific power output. It is measured in watts and usually varies from 1,300 to 2,000 watts and more. A powerful dryer can help reduce the time you need for drying your hair and thus minimize the risk of heat damage. Also, a more powerful blow dryer can help you style thicker, coarser, and thicker hair, which requires more taming.
The best blow dryers are powerful and have different heat and speed settings you can choose from. Have 3 or more heat settings, and at least 2 speeds. Some have a cold shot button, which is very useful for fixing and maintaining a hairstyle for longer after you are done creating it.
If you have finer or shorter hair and need a blow dryer for occasional us, such as when you are traveling, you can opt for a less powerful and less expensive one.
The materials used
You may have noticed that some of the blow dryers for natural hair on this list have tourmaline and ceramic materials used for their grilles or other parts. The ceramic technology is very useful for the even dispersal of the hot air which can speed up the hair drying and styling, and can also prevent damaging strands of hair from excessive heat and leaving others wet due to lack of sufficient hot air.
The tourmaline used in hair dryers is a mineral which helps the hair retain its natural moisture, and thus look shiny and smooth. Tourmaline is also very useful for sealing the hair cuticles and minimizing the frizz and split ends.
Some of the hairdryers also use titanium, which is incredibly durable and also allows for achieving very high temperatures.
As for the housing of the unit, you should opt for a styling tool which is made of durable housing, and which has a comfortable to hold and grip handle. Some of the handles are rubberized for a better grip.
The technologies used
If you are not an expert hairstylist, you may be confused by the various technologies used by the different manufacturers of hair dryers.
Infrared blow dryers for natural hair are suitable for people with sensitive hair, and for those who want to minimize the heat damage on their hair. Infrared heating uses infrared waves for drying the hair from the roots up. This means that the outer strains are not affected by any excessive heat while using the styling or drying tool.
Ionic blow dryers for natural hair are another popular type of good quality hair styling tools. The ionic technology emits negative ions when the dryer is switched on. As a result, the negative ions from the blow dryer attach themselves to the positive ions on the hair, which cause frizz and static, and thus help neutralize them and remove the static.
Ionic blow dryers are a superb choice if you have problems with static hair or frizz after drying it. If you don’t have such issues, the ionic technology may cause your hair to lose volume and become too flat.
The power cord length
The power cord is important for all kinds of electric appliances, but especially for hair styling and grooming tools, where you want to have optimal mobility for the best results.
This is why, if the power socket you are planning on using for drying or styling your hair is not right beside the mirror or the place you will be using it, you should opt for a blow dryer with a longer power cable.
The standard cord length is 6 feet.
Most pro-range blow dryers for natural hair have 9-foot long durable power cords. They are usually tangle free, sturdy and are long enough so you can use the blow dryer to dry and style your hair from all sides without being limited by the cable.
The comfort of the handle
Choosing a blow dryer with an ergonomic handle is essential if you will be using it for longer styling procedures and for prolonged and regular drying.
Apart from the weight of the unit, the comfortable grip of the handle is another essential feature to keep in mind when choosing a blow dryer for natural hair.
Most of the tools on our list have ergonomic handles, which offer a secure grip by either of your hands. Keeping the tool steady in your hand is essential for better results from the drying and styling, and can prevent dropping the blow dryer and breaking it or hurting yourself.
Some of the professional salon dryers have their control switches and buttons located on the side instead of on the front of the handle, which is something which may take time getting used to, but it is convenient if you want to avoid pressing the wrong buttons during us.
As with any other electrical appliance, you should be careful when choosing the blow dryer for your needs, due to the safety issues associated with using electricity near wet surfaces and hair, as well as the dangers of burning or otherwise damaging your hair or your fingers or skin from the excessive heat.
For peace of mind, it is advisable that you look for a styling tool which is made by a reputable manufacturer, and which has been tested and certified for safety.
Portability and travel friendliness
If you want a blow dryer for natural hair which you can take on business trips or on vacations with you, or take to certain events with you, then you should opt for a more portable and travel-friendly hairdryer.
The good travel-friendly blow dryers for natural hair are small in size, lightweight, and have foldable handles to take up minimal space in your luggage or handbag.
The dual voltage option is especially useful if you are traveling to Europe or to other areas of the world where the voltage used is 220V. Some of the travel-friendly blow dryers for natural hair come with dual voltage and can safely be plugged into a power outlet in any country in the world without the need for a special switch or voltage transformer.
You should also check out the accessories which come included with the blow dryer of your choice. Some of them come with diffusers or concentrators, and some come with both or more attachment nozzles and accessories. If you are not planning on using accessories, then you can opt for a more basic version instead.
Last update on 2021-06-18 at 02:33 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API