If you take pride in your beard, you probably know just how time-consuming and expensive it is to go to the barbershop and pay for professional trimming and grooming.
With a good quality home beard trimmer, you can ensure that your facial hair is always impeccable, and save money and time. Most beard trimmers can be used for haircuts, for trimming body hair and even for removing that pesky nose and ear hairs we all hate.
We have picked the top 10 best beard trimmers available on the market for 2019 for you, with the Philips Norelco MG7750/49 kit being our top pick.
Read on to find out everything you need to know about these inexpensive, easy to use and very useful grooming tools.
It includes just about anything any man will need to be perfectly groomed from head to toe.
The cordless trimmer is completely washable and can easily and safely be rinsed under the tap once you are done with your trimming.
The Philips trimmer uses a DualCut technology and has twice as many blades which will ensure that your beard is perfectly and evenly trimmed every time.
Thanks to the innovative technology the multiple non-corrosive steel blades will brush one against the other and thus remain sharp and precise for years. They are strong and sharp enough to deal with even the thickest and coarsest hair.
The trimmer has a strong steel frame which is durable, comfortable to hold and use, no matter what part of your body you are working on.
You will get a wide variety of grooming accessories with this kit, including a metal trimmer, a detail metal trimmer for finish-ups and edging, a foil shaver for making clean lines, an extra-wide trimmer for making the perfect fades and for faster haircuts, a nose and ear trimmer, 3 beard trimming guards, 6 hair trimming guards, 2 guards for trimming stubble, a couple of body trimming guards as well as one for your eyebrows. No part of your head or body will remain unsightly and ungroomed thanks to this multifunctional hair cutting device.
You will also get a nifty storage bag and a cleaning brush to keep your tools clean.
The trimmer is powered by lithium-ion batteries which can last for up to 5 hours, which is enough to take care of every part of your body or to use for up to a week or more for trimming your beard and facial hair. Even if you run out of power, you don’t have to worry because the trimmer can also work when plugged into a power outlet.
Otherwise, the trimmer can be fully charged for just 2 hours, and it has an additional 5-minute quick charge function for emergencies.
All 14 of the guards included in the bundle are reinforced and will perform consistently during your grooming.
So, as you can see, this perfect set of beard and hair trimming tools has absolutely everything you will need to look and feel perfectly groomed every day for years to come.
Our next top favorite in this list is yet another perfect beard trimmer kit proudly offered by Remington. The cordless HC6550 trimmer is fitted with blades coated with titanium for added strength, durability and sharpness. This wireless beard trimmer can cut through just about any type of hair, no matter how thick and burly it is. Thanks to the vacuum function, grooming and beard trimming will become a mess-free experience once and for all.
It comes in a complete 18 piece kit for the best grooming experience ever. You will get 11 different types of length adjustments from 1/16 to 1 inch, as well as tapering combs, along with a pair of barber scissors, blade oil, a cleaning brush, right and left taper clips, a bag and more.
The trimmer itself has a vacuum cleaning function, so you won’t end up covered with itchy and unsightly hair clippings and neither will your sink or bathroom. All of them will be collected in the easy to remove XXL vacuum container which you can throw out and wash easily and without making a mess even after an intensive grooming session.
Thanks to the cooling fan, you will feel a fresh breeze during the haircut or beard trimming process.
The clipper is powered by a lithium-ion battery which is fully charged for 4 hours and has a run time of up to 60 minutes. Thanks to its powerful motor, it will work at full power and speed during the entire runtime.
The blades are easy to clean and can be washed under running water.
You can use this trimmer when you are traveling abroad as it can operate with a worldwide voltage of 120-240 volts.
Overall, this is the best beard trimmer kit to buy if you are fed up with the mess associated with personal grooming and if you want to get a full grooming kit for a very reasonable amount of money. Plus, you will get a 2-year limited warranty and a 60-day money-back guarantee from Remington if you choose to buy this trimmer kit.
Best bang for the buck
The best deal for a beard trimmer for 2019, which will make a perfect gift for any gentleman, is this Braun Multi-Grooming Kit. It is an ideal grooming kit which you can use for cutting and trimming your hair and your beard, and thanks to the top quality Braun precision trimmer, you will look perfect every day.
This trimmer is a superb option for men with long, medium, short beards, and for stubble. You can also use it for trimming your nose and ear hair, as well as taking care of your body hair. Plus, with the added Gillette Fusion ProGlide razor you can get a clean shave too. The kit includes combs and attachments for contour edging as well.
So, it comes to no surprise that this 9 in 1 bundle is also known as the “Head-to-toe” kit.
You will receive a travel and storage bag as well as a brush to clean the blades too.
The kit includes 4 combs for 13 precise length settings from 0.02 to 0.83 inches (0.5-21mm), so you can cut your hair or beard to whatever length you prefer.
Thanks to the strong stainless steel blades of the trimmer, you will be able to use it effortlessly and successfully on all types of hair – including the thickest and curliest types.
The cordless trimmer works with a lithium-ion battery with a 60-minute runtime, and a useful LED indicator for the battery status.
The device is totally waterproof, so you can safely use it when you are in the shower, in order to take care of the hair clippings and avoid the mess. Of course, you can use it on dry hair as well if you prefer.
The voltage works for all countries and voltages and adjusts automatically between 120 and 240 volts so you can use your trimmer both at home and when traveling abroad.
The best news is that you will get this entire bundle at an incredibly affordable price. So, go ahead and buy this wonderful and useful hair and beard trimming set today for yourself or as a gift for any man – young or old.
And the rest of our top picks for 2019 are:
- A heavy-duty, vintage style trimmer, and clipper which you can see in just about any barbershop in the US
- One of the most powerful pivot motors in the industry – it can handle all kinds of hair including ethnic hair
- It twice as powerful than the regular magnetic clippers
- The strong steel blade can be adjusted from size 000 to size 1 with a flick of the lever on the side of the tool
- Can be used on wet and dry hair
- A whisper-quiet motor will not deafen you or make your hands sore from the vibrations
- An ergonomic design providing a stable grip
- Comes with 4 guide combs – ¼, 3/8 and ½ inches and blending comb
- Fitted with a durable and sturdy 8 ft. power cord for continuous and even power
- The set also includes a cleaning brush and lubricating blade oil
- Made in the USA and made to last
- Very little maintenance is required
- Excellent for beginners in DIY hair and beard grooming as well as for professional barbers
- The trimmer won’t heat up excessively during prolonged use, so you won’t risk burning yourself
- A professional barbers tool for fading and outlining
- Extremely close cutting blades for crisp edging and trimming beards and mustaches as well as for design work
- The carbon steel blades have been hardened for years of cutting and trimming
- The blades can be zero gapped
- Quiet operation
- Durable, ergonomic polymer housing suitable for small and large hands
- A high speed 7,200 SPM magnetic motor which will cut through all different hair types
- Perfect for dry shaving and trimming
- A heavy-duty power cord which is 8ft long
- It has a nifty hanging loop for easy storage and access
- Sold with a 1-year warranty
- It features an innovative technology which lifts the hair and then trims it evenly and precisely without contacting the skin
- The blades are self-sharpening and are double sharpened so they won’t pull the hair but rather will cut it easily and precisely
- 17 built-in length settings for lengths from 1/64 to ½ inches, which can be adjusted with the easy to access zoom wheel on the trimmer
- Powered by a lithium-ion battery with a 70-minute runtime and which needs just 1 hour for a full charge
- You can also use the grooming device corded as well
- Cordless trimming, so you can use it anywhere and anytime you need to without cumbersome cords
- The trimmer is completely washable and easy to maintain
- You can use it for your hair, your facial hair as well as for trimming your body hair
- Suitable for short, medium, long beards and stubble
- You will get a beard comb, a body cord, 2 hair combs, a cleaning brush, and a travel pouch
- Sold with a 5-year warranty
The Remington XR1410 Verso beard trimmer and shaver is probably one of the most comfortable grooming devices to hold and use for both wet and for dry shaving and trimming, as well as for cleansing, scrubbing and prepping the skin for shaving.
- The trimmer and shaver comes with five attachments including a gentle brush for everyday cleansing of the skin, a charcoal brush for deep skin scrubbing, a pre-shave brush to lift up the hairs prior to shaving or trimming
- Your skin will look perfect and will stay free from irritation with the help of the cleansing and scrubbing brushes
- The trimmer also has a high precision trimmer attachment, as well as a triple head rotary shaver for close shaves
- The beard and mustache trimmer has a 10-setting adjustable comb for different hair lengths
- The rotary shaver attachment uses a PrecisionPlus and a HyperFlex technology for a close shave and movement which follows the contours of your face for a perfect shave
- Thanks to its ergonomic design, you can easily fit it in your hand and grip it thanks to the rubberized material on top for a stable and precise trimming and shaving experience
- The device is 100% waterproof so you can use it for wet shaving, under the shower and you can easily wash it off after you are done
- It has adjustable worldwide voltage
- The lithium battery provides 45 minutes of powerful trimming or shaving
- The battery charges completely for 4 hours
- The device has a nifty battery status indicator
If you are fed up with paying extra dollars for professional haircuts and beard trimmer, we suggest you go with the powerful hair and beard trimmer from Wahl – the Elite Pro and this 21 piece kit which includes just about anything you will need to be perfectly groomed at a reasonable price.
- The clipper is powered by the best Wahl motor
- It is suitable for cutting and trimming both fine and thick hair
- The housing is made of durable plastic with added chrome lines
- The strong blades are self-sharpening
- The powerful motor ensures the smoothest and fastest trimming and clipping performance ever
- Perfect for DIY hair and beard clipping
- The clipper has a convenient taper lever to adjust the blades as you go
- It comes with a set of steel, professional quality Wahl combs which are easy to attach and fit securely, much more reliable and durable than the flimsy plastic combs which other trimmers are sold with
- The kit includes a full set of 10 high-end steel Wahl guards from size #1/2 up to #8 including the pretty rare #1/2 and #1 ½ sizes with ½ size increments, so you can cut your hair or beard from 1/16 up to 1 inch in length
- The bundle also includes a styling shear, comb, a 28 x 40-inch barber cape, a cleaning brush, clipper oil, covers for the shears and blade, a storage pouch for the guards and a heavy-duty storage box for all items
- The clipper has an 8ft. strong, industrial-grade power cord
- The kit is reasonably priced for the whole set of items you will receive, especially keeping in mind how much the metal guards cost if purchased separately
- It is sold with a 5-year limited warranty
With the Remington HC5855 hair and beard trimmer kit, you can say farewell to the pulling and snagging of the hairs, as well as to the deafening sound you have had to deal with during grooming until now.
- The kit consists of 15 pieces provided for cutting, styling and protecting your hair and beard
- The clipper is branded “Virtually indestructible”
- It features a Powercut blade system which keeps the blades aligned properly during use, allowing for the smoothest cutting experience with absolutely no pulling or snagging
- The blade can be removed and swapped with a Remington T-blade or a balder blade
- Powered by a Super magnet motor with a cutting performance which is twice as faster and precise than other corded beard trimmers
- The blades are precision ground and can cut through the thickest of hairs easily and smoothly
- The removable blade is also very easy to wash and clean
- The trimmer has an 8ft power cord for easy maneuverability
- The housing is ergonomically shaped and provides a secure and very comfortable grip thanks to the rubberized elements on the side
- The casing is made of shatter-resistant and extremely sturdy polycarbonate
- The kit also includes 9 length guide combs (1/16, 1/8, ¼, 3/8, ½, 5/8, ¾ 7/8 and 1 inches), blade guards, a brush for beards, a comb, blade oil, and a storage pouch
- The trimmer is also sold in a 15 piece kit with 8 guide combs (from 1/8 up to 1 inch), barber scissors, blade guard, lubricating oil, a cleaning brush, a cape, and a heavy-duty storage box
- The clipper is only 5.5 inches in length which makes it perfect for people with smaller hands
- It comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- The elegant and sleek looking trimmer has detachable stainless steel precision blades which will stay sharp for long and are very easy to clean and maintain
- The blades are made of high carbon steel
- It works both in corded and in cordless modes, for added versatility
- The trimmer has a 40-minute run time in cordless mode
- The battery indicator light will inform you when it is time to plug the trimmer in
- It works with a worldwide voltage of 120 to 240 volts so you can use it at home and abroad
- The body is not only beautiful but is ergonomic as well
- The kit includes a full range of 12 attachment guards for trimming beards and cutting hairs of all lengths and types
- You will also receive a styling, barber and beard combs as well as scissors
- The set also includes a blade cleaning brush, blade oil, a blade guard and a carrying pouch
- The grooming device is Energy Star certified
- Its size is 10 x 6 x 3.03 inches and it weighs 1.4 lbs.
- Sold with a 5-year warranty
The features to look for when buying beard trimmers
If you are still facing a dilemma or wondering which beard trimmer will be the best option for you, here are some of the most important features to look for.
First of all, if you are wondering whether to invest in a professional hair and beard trimmer or a home trimmer, you may want to know what the key differences are.
Here are the distinctions between professional and home beard trimming tools
Obviously, a professional barber trimming tool will cost quite a bit more than trimmers made for DIY beard clipping and grooming. The main reason is that the professional range trimmers are made of higher quality materials and components which are meant to withstand a lot of wear and tear as well as continuous use on a daily basis. On the other hand, the more inexpensive home trimmers are still of good quality, and chances are you won’t be using your trimmer for 8 or more hours every day, right?
The ease of use
It is a fact that professional range cutting and trimming tools are heavier and more difficult to use by people with little or no experience. After all, barbers do need months and even years of practice in order to start offering professional hair and beard grooming services, so be sure that you purchase a beard clipping tool which suits your skillset and experience in DIY grooming.
The different design and styling options
Usually, professional-grade clippers and trimmers are more versatile tools than those meant for home use. This is due to the fact that barbers need tools which can be used not only for haircuts and beard trimming but also for professional finishing, edging and styling. Still, all of the trimmers on our list offer quite a wide range of options for achieving excellent results at home, even if you are new to DIY beard trimming.
How to pick the best beard trimmer for DIY grooming
Stay within your budget
If you are not planning on pursuing a career as a professional barber or hairstylist, then there is no need to go for an overly expensive beard trimmer. Chances are that you won’t be using it every day, all day long, and in the end, the whole idea of getting your own beard and hair trimmer is to save money from going to the barbershop every week or month, right? Most of the beard trimmers and kits in our list are very reasonably priced, and they offer excellent quality and value for the money asked.
The size and weight of the trimmer
Picking a trimmer which fits comfortably in your hand and which is light enough so that you can use it without soreness or too much stress on your hand and arm is essential, especially if are a newbie to home beard grooming. So, ensure that you choose a trimmer which provides a comfortable and stable grip, and which you will feel comfortable using when you are taking care of your beard, hair or body hair.
A powerful motor
The motor is the heart of any trimmer, so make sure you pick a beard trimmer which has a motor powerful enough to handle your type of beard and hair. The more powerful it is, the faster and easier the grooming job will be done.
If you are still uncertain about the type of motor which is most suitable for you, here are the main types of motors used for hair and beard clippers and trimmers, as well as their pros and cons:
This type of motor is used both for professional as well as for home trimmers. The pivot motor is very powerful but has a low blade speed. This type of motor is suitable for quick grooming and trimming. The blades can move in both directions which means that you will get your beard or hair groomed much faster as you won’t have to pass through one specific area more than once to get every single hair.
Pivot motors are about two times faster than magnetic ones. Usually, trimmers and clippers with pivot motors have removable guards or combs, which are used for different hair lengths. Also, they have adjustable blades which can be done during the grooming and is a great option if you are planning on doing fades.
Thanks to their power, pivot motored trimmers are capable of smoothly and easily cutting and trimming thick, heavy or wet hair. The Oster Fast Feed Adjustable clipper and trimmer is an excellent example of a pivot motor-powered grooming device.
Trimmers powered by magnetic motors are very fast and can reach a speed of 7200 SPM, but they are not as powerful as pivot motors. Trimmers with magnetic motors are an excellent option if you have a long grooming regime, as they do not get overheated like some of the other trimmers and clippers. Also, they are easy to maintain and are a great choice if you have fine or medium type hair. The Andis 04603 Outliner II is one of the best beard trimmers with a 7200 SPM magnetic motor.
These are the most common motors used for barber range trimmers and clippers. They are usually more expensive than the other types and are both very powerful and have high blade speed. These grooming tools are definitely more versatile and make much less noise and are lighter than the other trimmers. This type of trimmer or clipper comes with detachable blades, so you will need to switch in between blades during the grooming process if you want to achieve different lengths and effects. Still, the results are without any doubt worth the price and the effort of interchanging blades. This type of trimmer is very suitable for bulk trimming and for thick hair and heavy-duty cutting.
Choose corded or cordless
There is no right answer when it comes to the question which hair and beard trimmer is better – the corded or the cordless ones. The truth is, that you should pick your bard grooming tool in accordance with your need and based on how often you plan to use it.
For people with short beards and uncomplicated beard and hairstyles, a cordless beard trimmer is an excellent choice. This type of grooming tool allows for use anywhere without the hassle of having to deal with a power cord. Cordless trimmers are also the perfect option for those of you who travel a lot and want to stay properly groomed even when you are on a business trip or on a vacation.
But for those of you who want to have a more powerful hair trimming tool, or have very thick hair, or have complicated hairstyles, a corded trimmer is a better option. Corded trimmers have a constant power supply which won’t wear off even after hours of use. This fact will ensure that the grooming tool keeps cutting smoothly and evenly even after prolonged cutting and trimming.
Pay attention to the blades
Although the motor is very important for a trimmer, the blades are equally important for the quality and the end results. The stronger and harder the material used for the blades of your trimmer – the more likely it is that it will last longer, stay sharp and will cut better and without stopping or pulling.
Most trimmers on our list are made of stainless steel, and some of them have titanium coated blades lie the Remington HC6550 or carbon-coated blades like the Remington HC5855 trimmer or the Wahl #9639-700 trimmer which further strengthens the steel.
There are trimmers and clippers with ceramic blades too, which stay cooler and sharper for longer, but they are more expensive and are not as durable as those made of steel.
Tips on prolonging the life of your beard trimmer
Just like every other tool, beard trimmers do require some maintenance in order to prolong their longevity. Here are the basic tasks you will need to do in order to keep your beard trimmer clean, sanitary, effective and working for longer:
- Keep the blades clean always. Remember to use the cleaning brush after each grooming session to get all the hair clippings out of the blades. You can use another small brush like a toothbrush to ensure that there are no hairs stuck in the blades, or blow them out. Most of the trimmers on our list have washable blades, so you can rinse them out once you are done with the cutting, trimming or shaving.
- Take the time to clean the attachments as well. Every time you use a snap-on comb or guard, make sure that you clean it out properly. You can soak the attachments in water with some soap and then rinse them off and dry them, so they stay sanitary.
- Check whether the blades are aligned. Take a look at the blade’s length from the side to ensure that it is straight. This will prevent you from cutting yourself and will ensure that your trimming is smooth and even.
- Oil the blade. Always add a few drops of lubricating blade oil to the blade before grooming. You can drop it on the sides and in the middle and then switch the beard trimmer on for several seconds so that the oil gets distributed evenly. Most trimmers and clippers are sold with blade oil, so you don’t have to worry about purchasing it separately.
- Replace the blade if it gets dull. This shouldn’t happen any time soon if you take proper care of your blades, but make sure to replace them if they get dull or damaged.
- Use a spray or dip to disinfect and cool the blades. This will help keep the grooming safe and comfortable, and will also ensure that the blades stay rust-free and sharp for longer.
Whether you want to save money from going to the barbershop, or you are a beard enthusiast who wants to take care of your own beard, a good quality beard trimmer is a must.
We have picked the absolute best trimmers on the market for 2019 for you, and hopefully, you have found the one which will suit your needs, your beard and hair type, as well as your preferences.
With any of these versatile devices, you will be able to not only ensure that your facial hair is always perfectly groomed, but you can also trim or cut your hair, take care of the unwanted body hairs and also experiment with new styles in the comfort of your own home.
These home grooming devices and kits are perfect for those of you who want to cut your children’s hair and even for trimming the coats of your pets.
They are affordable, easy to use and maintain, and safe, so whichever one you choose, you will be making a very wise decision and investment in the long run.
So, good luck with your beard trimmer and enjoy the freedom of shaping and styling your beard or mustache just the way you have always wanted to look!
Last update on 2019-09-18 at 23:55 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API