LG OLED55B8 OLED55B8PUA 55B8
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Samsung QN55Q8FN FLAT 55” QLED 4K UHD
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
TCL 55R617 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Even with the advent of ultra large TVs in the latest years, the 55-inch TV category still remains the most popular choice for the majority of buyers. If you want to join the army of proud owners of 55 inch TVs, read on to find out which are the best models available in 2019.
The good news is that with the rapid development of new technologies, the best features of the high-end TVs from the past are now becoming available for the more affordable models as well.
55 inch TVs are perfectly sized for small and big homes because they are large enough to provide you with the perfect home theater experience and yet won’t take up an entire wall of your room.
The 55” TVs are also much more affordable than the larger ones, and yet have most of the features which the latest and largest TV sets have.
Most of the 55 inch TVs in 2019 support HDR, 4K and feature built-in smart services allowing you to access and stream watch your favorite online content or the media content from your phone or computer.
The choice of the best 55 inch TV depends on what you are planning on using it for – whether you want to watch your favorite Blu-ray movies, stream your preferred shows, watch sports, play video games, or use it as a computer monitor.
An important feature to consider is whether you prefer to invest in an OLED TV with amazing black levels and color or you prefer the bright LCD screen which is perfect for movies and HDR enabled video games.
We tested more than 40 new 55 inch TVs since the beginning of 2019, and have come up with the ultimate list of the best 55” TVs for 2019 for you.
Read on to see what we liked about them, and which features we wish could have been improved. Also, take a look at our buying tips and the features to look for when shopping for the best 55 inch TV for your needs and preferences.
The best overall
We picked the LG OLED 55B8 as our overall top choice for 55 inch TVs for 2019 for several very good reasons.
First of all, this 4K OLED TV is a very versatile one. It performs perfectly in complete darkness thanks to the self-emissive technology which turns off or simply dims individual pixels to adjust to the lightness or darkness. The pixel dimming will illuminate each and every one of the 8.3 million pixels individually.
The LG B8 also amazed us with its perfect black uniformity and an astounding contrast ratio. The 55 inch TV from LG provides a very wide angle of viewing which makes it perfect for any type of room and for all types of room layouts and sizes. The best part is that the image remains super accurate no matter which angle you are viewing it from.
It ranked at the top when tested for watching movies, TV, sports, HDR movies and games, sports and as a PC monitor.
When playing games and watching fast action movies and sports, we found nearly no motion blur to distract us from the perfect viewing experience.
The design of the LG OLED B8 is very high-end, and will add sleekness and contemporary style to any décor.
The stand is quite narrow, so it can fit just about any TV table. If you want to mount the TV on the wall, you don’t have to worry about the inputs – because everything you need is easily accessible on the side of the set. Thanks to the ultra-thin borders (0.39 inches), and its ultra-thin size (1.93 inches), your wall mounted TV will look picture perfect.
The 4K OLED TV from LG runs cool, so you won’t have issues with overheating.
If you are planning on using this TV in a very bright room, then you can rest assured that the light won’t ruin your viewing experience, thanks to the superb reflection handling.
This 55 inch TV will upscale 480p, 720p, and 1080p content perfectly with no visible issues which means that you can enjoy your favorite DVDs, TV programs and Blu-ray movies in perfectly upscaled quality.
The B8 LG OLED’s ThinQ AI technology has a built-in Google Assistant which will allow you to control it with your voice via the LG Magic Remote. It also works with Amazon Alexa devices.
Thanks to the α7 Intelligent Processor, your 4K HDR content will be enhanced further to create a perfectly lifelike picture with superior sharpness, depth, and stunningly accurate colors.
The 4K Cinema HDR support Dolby Vision, HDR10 and HLG and provides a scene-by-scene optimization and tone-mapping.
The sound of this TV is also incredible and immersive thanks to the Dolby Atmos technology used which is similar to that used in modern movie theaters.
The LG 4K OLED B8 has 4 HDMI, 3 USB, 1 composite in, 1 RF, 1 optical, 1 Ethernet inputs as well as a mini-jack and Audio Return Channel Support via HDMI. It has Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Direct and Bluetooth connectivity options.
The Smart TV runs WebOS v.4.0 and has a few preinstalled apps such as Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Video, and many more available for download at the LG content store.
Overall, you will be amazed at the perfect picture, the amazing sound and the overall performance of this beautiful, sleek 55 inch OLED TV from LG!
Plus, this bundle offers a complimentary $100 Hulu Plus gift card, a free wall mount, a backlit keyboard for the TV, a 6 outlet surge adapter as well as an extended 1-year warranty along with the TV!
Even though the Samsung Q8FN doesn’t have the infinite contrast ration of our top pick – the LG OLED B8, this stunning 55 inch TV still performs perfectly well in dark rooms as well as in bright rooms thanks to the excellent reflection handling and high peak brightness feature.
This TV by Samsung is also great for gaming, as it supports various new gaming technologies, including a variable refresh rate and auto low latency mode.
The motion handling of this QLED TV, as well as its perfect response time, makes it great for watching sports and fast action movies and shows.
Overall the 55” Samsung Q8FN has a very wide color gamut and is very responsive thanks to the low input lag. It is perfect watching for fast motion content and performs well in both dark and very bright rooms.
The 360-degree view of the TV thanks to its bezel-less design makes it a superb accessory for any décor. You can mount it on the wall or enjoy it on its stand (9.7″ x 38.1″) without being distracted by any cables hanging out thanks to the Q Style cable management system.
It can be used in ambient mode, which plays music, shows decorative content or show your own pictures straight from the cloud, which is another amazing feature of this 55 inch TV.
It is a Smart TV with a Bixby Voice feature allowing you to quickly and easily find any content streaming or any favorite shows running via the One Remote and your voice at the Universal Guide provided by Samsung. You can connect it to your home network via the Wi-Fi or Ethernet connections available. The smart TV runs on Samsung’s Tizen and has a wide variety of apps to choose from.
You can quickly and easily pair all your mobile devices via the SmartThings app to share content and control your TV via your smartphone.
The powerful Q engine will optimize all kind of content to 4K quality and clarity, color and HDR.
All of the inputs are located on the side of the TV frame. They include 4 HDMI, 2 USB, 1 Digital optical audio out, 1 tuner, and 1 Ethernet.
The Samsung QN55Q8F TV is a perfect choice for all kinds of purposes, including watching movies, sports, playing games, HDR gaming and movie watching, and as a PC monitor. We can strongly recommend this beautiful TV to just about anybody who wants to upgrade their TV to a new 55-inch model from 2019.
If our top picks for the best 55 inch TVs for 2019 are too expensive for you, we strongly recommend our top budget-friendly pick for this year – the TCL 55 R617 4K UHD Roku TV.
It provides a stunning 4K HDR performance and features the Roku OS smart platform all at a shockingly low price.
The TCL 55R617 has an attractive brushed metal design and will provide you with a superior TV experience. It supports Dolby Vision which delivers superb contrast and brightness and a very wide palette of rich and satisfying colors. Its Contrast Control Zone technology will optimize the image in 120 zones individually and the result is a striking contrast between the dark and light areas.
This 55 inch TV from TCL is powered by an iPQ engine which provides precise color reproduction, and an HDR Pro Gamma system which improved the HDR performance significantly.
Thanks to the smart Roku platform, you can easily connect to and access your Blue-ray player, cable box or gaming console without the need of flipping through the different inputs and fumbling through complicated menus.
You can control the TCL R6 TV with your voice, which will make your viewing experience even more enjoyable and finding the perfect content among the 500,000 movies and TV series available on Roku TV much easier.
The LED backlighting, full-array local dimming combined with the Zone controls will bring you an excellent picture with deep blacks and a very satisfying contrast even in the darkest rooms.
The TCL R6 55 inch TV has 3 HMI 2.0, one HDMI ARC, 1 USB, an RF composite, a headphone jack, Optical audio out and 1 Ethernet inputs.
The low impact lag is perfect for gamers, and the fast motion clearing function makes this TV excellent for enjoying sports and other fast action content. It is also superb if you want to play HDR games or watch HDR movies.
Overall, this is a very good quality smart 4K Ultra HD LED TV which is available at an outrageously low price, especially as compared to our other top picks for the best 55 inch TVs for 2019. Actually, it is the best 55 inch TV which you can buy in this price range right now!
Related: The Best 75-Inch TVs in 2019
Our other top picks for 2019
If you want the best 55-inch mid-range TV which you can alternatively use as a PC monitor and which also provides a superb gaming experience, you should go for the Vizio P-55 F1 4K HDR smart TV.
- 4K HDR resolution
- High-quality Dolby Vision HDR picture
- It is rather affordable given the quality provided
- Low input lag makes it perfect for gaming and for a PC monitor
- A high native content color contrast ratio
- Efficient local dimming functions
- A wide color gamut for viewing HDR content – delivers over 1 billion vivid and accurate colors
- Excellent dark scene performance
- Very satisfactory motion handling
- Great luminance thanks to the 1000 units of peak brightness
- Excellent reflection handling
- Provides access to over 100 internet and live streaming channels for free – without login or subscription
- Full Array LED backlight featuring 56 local dimming zones will produce accurate colors, perfect blacks, and vibrant bright images
- Easily accessible inputs even when the TV is mounted on the wall
- A great sleek metallic design with a premium feel
- Clear and sharp picture of upscaled content such as DVDs, cable and Blu-ray
- Has an integrated TV tuner
- Inputs include: 5 HDMI, 1 USB, 1 Digital optical and 1 Analog audio out, 1 component in, 1 composite in, 1 Ethernet, 1 tuner
- Vizio SmartCast OS platform with a built-in Chromecast media streaming device and no-ads
- Has several preloaded apps, including Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, Prime Video, Pluto TV, VUDU, Newsy, iHeartradio, Curiosity Stream and many others
- Can be remotely controlled from your smartphone via the useful app
- Perfect for multiple purposes, including video games, HDR games, sports, movies, TV, and others
Yes, we did pick another TCL 55 inch TV as our top budget pick for 2019, but if it is still out of your price range, you should consider buying the least expensive 55 inch TV on our list – the TCL 55S405 4K UHD Roku smart TV.
- 55 inch 4K UHD LED TV
- Low price for an overall good entry-level TCL 4K Roku TV
- Superb low input lag which will make gamers very happy
- Low motion blur allows for a good sport viewing experience
- Provides great contrast with deep blacks
- Smart functionality provides easy access to Roku TV’s more than 450,000 movies and TV series over 4,000 channels, and no ads
- Direct-lit LED for a great quality picture given the price of the TV
- 3 HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 and 1 HDMI ARC, 1 USB, RF, Optical audio out, composite, headphone and Ethernet inputs
- Wi-Fi connectivity to connect your TV to your home network and the Internet
If you are ready to invest in Sony’s last year flagship 55 inch TV, then you will be pleasantly surprised to find out that Sony has returned to OLED with the Sony XBR55A1E 4K Ultra HD Bravia OLED TV, and the truth is that this TV offers the best HD to 4K upscaling we have ever seen.
- A brilliant “picture only “ design enhanced by the ultra-thin 55-inch OLED panel
- 4K Ultra HD clarity paired with the detail, contrast, and color of HDR to produce an almost lifelike picture like you have never seen before
- Freeview HD tuner
- Room-filling, immersive audio which uses the screen as speakers via the rear mounted “exciters” which vibrate the surface of the screen
- Wide viewing angles will allow you to position this TV in any room setting
- 4 HDMI, 1 USB 3.0, 2 USB 2.0, Ethernet and a composite inputs
- The Motionflow XR removes any blur from fast-action sports, movies, and scenes
- The most powerful processor from Sony and dual image reference database system allows for the best HD to 4K upscaling than any other brand
- Works with Alexa for easy voice control
- Built-in Wi-Fi system
- Powered by Android TV which will provide you with access to the hundreds of available Android streaming, gaming, and other apps online
- A nifty Voice remote control
So, you want to use your new 55 inch TV for gaming? The new Samsung UN55NU8000 has some amazing gaming features you don’t want to miss out on.
- Added gaming features – excellent for console gamers, including adjustment of the display frame rate to adjust the output of the console or the PC, as well as auto latency mode ensuring the lowest input lag possible for true 4K HDR gaming
- A versatile 4K LED TV with HDR Plus support
- Very satisfactory motion rate 240 for watching sports or playing games
- Intuitive smart platform with a Bixby assistant for nifty voice control
- Excellent SDR peak brightness
- Ultra Slim Array for deeper blacks and brighter whites
- Dynamic Crystal Color HDTV for a wider color gamut
- The Samsung Clean Cable Solution will eliminate clutter and hide all dangling cables
- Beautiful 360-degree design – the set is beautiful from any angle
- Excellent upscaling capabilities from 480p, 720p and 1080p and native 4K content
- OneRemote allows you to control all compatible devices via just 1 remote control
- All inputs are located on the side of the TV – they include: 4 HDMI, 2 USB, 1 Digital optical out, 1 tuner, 1 Ethernet
- Wi-Fi connectivity for adding the TV to your home network and accessing content on other devices or on the internet
If you like our top pick – the LG OLED55B8, you will absolutely love this upgraded version – the latest LG OLED55C8 55” 4K HDR TV.
- A 55 inch OLED 4K HDR TV providing superb picture quality
- A gorgeous, ultra-thin design with no bezel
- Stunning contrast and rich colors
- Numerous picture modes including ISF and Technicolor for very natural and accurate colors
- Powered by the latest LG Alpha 9 processor which enables it to handle High Frame Rate
- A large LUT for recreating even more accurate images
- An unrivaled highly effective WebOS and ThinQ smart platform for easy access to endless content available on Freeview Play, Netflix, NOW TV, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube – most of which support 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos or Dolby Vision
- Supports just about any high dynamic range, including HLG, HDR10 and Dolby Vision
- ThinQ artificial intelligence feature with voice control can become a smart hub for all your devices
- 4 HDMI, 3 USB, 1 composite, 1 RF, 1 Ethernet, 1 optical, 1 RS232C and ARC support via HDMI
- Wi-Fi, Wi-Di and Bluetooth connectivity
- Top quality, immersive Dolby Atmos sound
- Compatible with Google Home and with Amazon Echo AI speakers
- TruMotion feature for removing blur and distortion from fast-moving images such as sports and a MotionPro black frame insertion feature for better motion
- A Magic remote with a very precise motion controller
- Perfect upscaling capabilities will result in perfect images with fine details and a natural look
- Offered in a bundle with a $100 gift card from Hulu, a 6 outlet surge adapter with a night light, a flat wall mounting kit, a mini wireless backlit keyboard with a touchpad mouse and a 1-year extended warranty
- You can download and use the LG mobile remote app which is quite useful too
If you want a Sony 4K Ultra HD 55 inch TV, but aren’t ready to pay several thousand dollars for one, the mid-range Sony XBR-55X900F is a probably the best choice you have in 2019.
- A 55-inch 4K Ultra HD Direct-lit LCD screen with local dimming with a performance similar to OLED when it comes to black color
- Available at an affordable price for the value and quality provided – much lower than that of OLED TVs
- Excellent HDR and SDR picture quality
- Direct lighting with local dimming provides a much better experience than edge-lighting which similar priced TVs have
- Offers stunning clarity of the picture and a very high dynamic range of the colors and details
- Freeview HD tuner
- Sony’s most powerful video processing engine – the X1 Extreme Processor allows for precise control of the contrast and brightness of the picture and much better upscaling of DVDs, Blu-rays, HD and other content to 4K
- Trilumunos vibrant colors
- Great for watching on-screen action and gaming thanks to the X-Motion Clarity feature
- Compatible with Google Home and Amazon Alexa, which allow you to connect it to your compatible devices and control the TV via voice commands
- A composite port with easy to switch units, including 4 HDMI, 2 USB 2.0, 1 USB 3.0, and a composite port
- An IR blaster and a useful voice remote control
- Smart functioning uses Android TV OS which carries hundreds of streaming, game and information apps, including built-in Chromecasting and Google Voice Assistant
- Supports Dolby Vision which is commonly used by streaming services like YouTube, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video
- Immersive and detailed sound and more realistic dialogues
- Wi-Fi connectivity
The LG OLED55B7A 55 inch 4K Ultra HD TV may be from 2017, but it is still one of the best entry-level 4K OLED TV’s on the market today.
- 55-inch OLED panel and a brilliant 4K UHD resolution
- Freeview Play and Freeview satellite tuners
- Smart TV runs WebOS 33.5 and has built-in Wi-Fi connectivity to connect the TV to your home network and to the internet
- HDR detail contrast and color
- 4K Ultra HD clarity of the picture
- The individually lit OLED pixels allow for the best contrast and picture quality
- Very sleek and attractive design
- 3 USB, 4 HDMI, 1 Composite, 1 RF, 1 Ethernet, 1 Optical, 1 mini jack, and a component shared with composite inputs
- Sold at a lower price as compared to the higher end LG TV’s sporting the same OLED panel
- Supports all three key HDR formats – HDR10, Dolby Vision and HLG
- An intuitive and responsive cursor based pointer remote control with dedicated buttons for Amazon and Netflix for quick and easy access to the popular streaming services
- Also features YouTube, Now TV, Wuaki TV, and many others
- Wi-Fi connectivity
- Has preset options for the image settings including Standard, Cinema, Eco, Sports, HDR, Game, Vivid as well as an ISF for dark and ISF for bright rooms
Features to look for when buying a 55 inch TV
If your home or your budget is too small for a 65 inch TV, the best way to go is to buy one of the amazing 55 inch TVs available at the market right now.
55 inches is the perfect size because it will provide you with an excellent viewing experience without taking up too much space and most of the wall space in your room.
Plus, the prices of the good quality 4K 55 inch TVs are much more affordable than those of the 65 inch and larger ones.
Most of the 55 inches on the market and all of the ones we have picked for you, support 4K Ultra HD resolution, have smart features and HDR.
But still, choosing the best one for you could be quite a frustrating task.
The most important factor, of course, is how much money you are ready to pay for your new home entertainment system.
Also, you need to pick between the LCD and OLED panels. While OLEDs are thinner and provide cinema-level blacks, the LCD’s are usually cheaper and have unrivaled brightness which is an excellent feature when watching HDR movies or playing HDR games.
Here are some tips when picking your new 55 inch TV:
- Avoid 1080p TVs and go for one with a resolution of 4K or more – this is essential as more TVs and streaming services are broadcasting in 4K native quality (Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Video and others), so you will be investing in the future
- Be prepared to pay from $500 to $800 for a good entry level 55 inch TV, and quite a bit more for the flagship and other high-end devices of this size
- Choose a TV which has a refresh rate of at least 120 Hz and with good motion control processing, especially if you are planning to use the TV for playing games, watching sports or other action-filled This will lower or eliminate the blurring and make the experience much smoother and more enjoyable for you
- Look for a TV which is HDR compatible, as it will provide you with a better contrast and much more realistic colors. At this point Dolby Vision seems to be the standard gaining momentum, so look for this feature in your future TV
- OLED TVs are thinner and look better but they are quite more expensive than LED LCD TVs
- Look for a TV which has at least 3 HDMI ports, especially if you are planning on connecting your top set box, console, sound bar, and DVD or Blu-ray player to it. Also look for TVs which have at least one HDMI 2.0 supported port for accommodating Ultra HD sources
- Since most 55 inch TVs are smart TVs this feature isn’t something extraordinary, but you may want to try out the smart OS platforms and the apps which are available for your TV set
- Except in very rare cases, don’t expect a movie theater like sound, so get ready to buy a sound bar to complement the audio of your TV. Due to their thin designs, the manufacturers are making the speakers smaller.
- Look for a TV with a longer or extended warranty, just to stay on the safe side, even though modern TVs are very resilient, so if there is a problem with the panel or the TV it will most likely become evident in the first weeks of your purchase
- Choose a TV with a wide viewing angle, especially if you live in a household with a lot of members, or if you are setting the TV up in a narrow space
- If the TV of your choice has a good cable management system, you will eliminate the clutter and hide away all those unsightly cables, which is essential if you are planning on mounting the TV on the wall, and if you want an undistracted viewing or gaming experience
- Having the inputs on the side of the TV will make them easily accessible, which too is important if you want a hassle-free experience when connecting or disconnecting different devices
- A built-in Wi-Fi and an Ethernet input will allow you to connect your TV to your home network, and to the Internet so that you can share media content and take advantage of the smart functionality, such as watching streaming services, and other online content
- When buying a LED LCD 55 inch TV look for the local or active dimming features it has, this will help provide a better mix of light and dark in the picture. The full array LED TVs have light emitting diodes located directly behind the panel which light up the different zones of the screen individually for a better and more detailed and precise picture
- QLED TVs are not OLED TVs. They are LED sets with a quantum dot technology which offer a wider color spectrum and an increased brightness by lighting up different sized nanocrystal dots
- Curved screens may look cool, but in fact they have no benefit for the viewing experience, and may even cause a distortion of the image, plus they have very limited viewing angles and are generally more expensive than the flat screen models
- The user interface for the smart options is essential if you want to easily find and access your favorite content available online or in your network. Samsun, Vizio, and LG have nifty icons on a bar located on the bottom of the screen. TCL Roku TVs provide unlimited, ad-free and free content to more than 1,000 sources and thousands of movies and TV series. Sony relies on Google’s Android TV platform for its smart services, which means that you will get access to all of the hundreds of streaming, information, gaming and other apps available in Google TV play store. If you are looking for a TV which will allow you to watch a specific streaming service, make sure you check out whether it supports it before buying it
- The remote control is also important. Some models support voice control, and others have gesture control or OneRemote. Most of the models on our list also have an option for controlling the TV via an app downloaded and installed on your smartphone
- Look for a TV which will suit your needs – decide on the best model depending on whether you are going to use it for gaming or watching sports, or as a PC monitor or simply for watching movies
Well, we hope that our 55 inch TV buying guide has been of use to you. We truly believe that we have managed to encapsulate all of the best offers for TV sets of this size which are currently available on the market.
We have added some budget-friendly entry-level models which actually are pretty good and will cost you just several hundred dollars. Of course, our top 10 best list also includes the best higher end models of 2019 and from last year which may cost more, but actually provide the quality they promise to provide.
With the wide range of options and prices of the TVs included in our best 55 inch TV list for 2019, we think that everyone will find the right TV for their needs.
No matter which one you pick, you will be flabbergasted at the quality of the picture and of the viewing and gaming experience these TVs provide, especially if you are moving up from a smaller TV set with lower resolution capabilities.
So, go ahead and invest in a good quality 55 inch TV today, and enjoy the experience of having your own affordable and space-saving home theater experience!
We are sure that you will be happy with your investment and that you will never consider moving back to a smaller TV without the 4K Ultra HD capabilities and excellent features of these wonderful TV sets.
Good luck with your purchase, and we wish you many hours of amazing picture quality and an immersive watching or gaming experience with your new 55 inch TV!
- The 16 Best Portable Air Conditioners
- Rtic Coolers – 2019 Review
- Which are the dog shock collars you can trust?
- What Is Fixd, and Should You Buy It? – 2019 Review
- 10 Best Vizio Sound Bars you can choose from this year.
- 12 Best Baby Monitors we picked for your baby.
- Top 10 Best Rated Home Air Purifiers for 2019 | Ratings and Reviews
- The Best Studio Headphones of 2019: The Ultimate Musician’s Guide
- The Best Toaster Oven On The Planet in 2019
- The Best Electric Toothbrush – the full guide
- We picked the best microwave for your kitchen.
- The Best Air Fryer in 2019 – The Ultimate Reviews
- Walgreenslistens 2019 Survey – The Full Review
- The Best Dishwashers we reviewed for you.
- We tested and found the best handheld vacuum. Check our latest review.
- The Best Electric Fireplace TV Stand for 2019
- The Best Lawn Mower for 2019
- The Best 10 Folding Wagons of 2019
- The Best Nose Hair Trimmer
- The 5 Best Telescoping Extension Ladders
- ZabaSearch: How to Use Zabasearch To Find People Online 2019
- 25 Largest Dog Breeds Ever – 2019
- 41 Best Small Dog Breeds – List of Top Small Dogs with Pictures
- Do you know which is the best anime of all time? Find out now!
- The 10 Best Multivitamin for Men – 2019 Review
- 7 Best Wireless Surround Sound Systems
- The 100 Best Christmas Movies of All Time