Even with the advent of ultra-large TVs in the latest years, the 55-inch TV category remains the most popular choice for the majority of buyers. If you want to join the army of proud owners of 55 inch TVs, read on to find out which are the best models available in 2020.
The good news is that with the rapid development of new technologies, the best features of the high-end TVs from the past are now becoming available for the more affordable models as well.
55 inch TVs are perfectly sized for small as well as for big homes alike. They are large enough to provide you with the perfect home theater experience and yet won’t take up an entire wall of your room.
The 55” TVs are also much more affordable than the larger ones, and yet have most of the features which the latest and largest TV sets have.
Most of the 55 inch TVs in 2020 support HDR, 4K and feature built-in smart services allowing you to access and stream watch your favorite online content or the media content from your phone or computer.
The choice of the best 55 inch TV depends on what you are planning on using it for – whether you want to watch your favorite Blu-ray movies, stream your preferred shows, watch sports, play video games, or use it as a computer monitor.
An important feature to consider is whether you prefer to invest in an OLED TV with incredible black levels and color or you prefer the bright LCD screen, which is perfect for movies and HDR-enabled video games.
We tested more than 50 new 55 inch TVs since the beginning of 2020, and have come up with the ultimate list of the best 55” TVs for 2020 for you.
Read on to see what we liked about these TVs. Also, take a look at our buying tips and the features to look for when shopping for the best 55 inch TV for your needs and preferences.
The best overall
Since the introduction of OLED technology, every year, LG has been delivering the best performing TVs in all sizes. This year, the company does not disappoint with the astonishing LG OLED55CPUA. This 55 inch TV with a 4K resolution is definitely the best one we have tested so far in 2020.
OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) TVs are definitely among the best you can buy when it comes to performance, picture, and style.
This technology used by LG allows for the production of unbelievably thin panels which at the same time produce a wide range of accurate colors even in bright-lit rooms, wide viewing angles, excellent uniformity, and the best black levels we have seen.
Unfortunately, OLED is also pretty expensive, which makes these TVs some of the priciest of all.
But if you are striving for the best picture quality possible when shopping for a 55 inch TV in 2020, then you cannot find a better one than that provided by the LG C9 OLED TV.
This TV is definitely a wise investment because it is totally future proof and has all the features and HDMI 2.1 extras, which will allow it to handle future 4K HFR, as well as eARC, which delivers astounding high-quality audio to supported receivers.
The latest HDMI 2.1 can handle 4K quality at 120 fps, as well as support eARC, as well as automatic latency mode and variable refresh rate.
As compared to last year’s best 55 inch TV the LG OLED C8, this one has an even better HDR, quicker processing, great motion handling and instantaneous response time which makes it the best 55 inch TV for gaming, so it is technically better, even though the C8 is still an excellent option and it costs less than the newer model.
The 2020 model, though, has some new features which make it more special than its predecessors.
The C9 has a Peak Brightness feature, which boosts the light output in Cinema and Expert modes for SDR sources, which helps improve the contrast and enhance the color accuracy even in very bright-lit conditions.
It also has an AI Brightness option which detects the ambient lighting and adjusts the picture automatically.
The new AI Picture option also improves the resolution of the picture depending on the content via a deep learning technique algorithm.
The colors across the screen remain consistent no matter where you are sitting in the room, so this TV is superb for larger rooms and rooms with non-standard shapes and seating.
The C9 sports a dynamic tone-mapping feature which analyses the HDR video frame by frame automatically when in Cinema and Expert modes
and creates a new tone map curve depending on the signal and source.
The C9 has all the ports and connections you will ever need, including an analog non-HDMI video input for legacy devices. The TV also has a WISA wireless audio support and a headphone analog audio output.
The other ports on this fantastic 55 inch TV are 4 HDMI with HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.1, 3 USB ports, an optical digital audio output, a composite video, and audio output, a 3.5mm headphone output, an RF output, and an RS-232 mini jack.
The TV supports various connectivity options, including HDMI, Bluetooth, Wireless, Ethernet, and USB.
The LG OLED C9 TV has an integrated A9 Generation 2 chip, which uses a deep learning algorithm to adjust the picture of the TV according to the current lighting in the room.
The LG C9 55 inch TV features the fast and powerful smart TV WebOS with Google Assistant. It has built-in Alexa, as well as Apple AirPlay 2. The built-in apps on the TV for Amazon, Netflix, and Vudu all support the Dolby Atmos, and Dolby Vision features integrated into the C9 TV. This means you don’t need an external streaming device to watch top-quality video and audio, because the TV is HDR10 and Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos compatible.
It is available in sizes of 55, 65 and 77 inches.’
The 55 inch OLED TV is 48.3 x 29.1 x 9.9 inches with the stand and 48.3 x 27.8 x 1.8 inches without it. It weighs 41.7 lbs. without the stand, and 50.7 lbs. with it. You can mount it to the wall via its 300 x 200 VESA mounting pattern.
This stylish TV is so thin that it will stand on the wall as a beautiful painting or look spectacular, standing on its exquisite stand. At its thinnest, the TV is just about ¼ inches thick, and at its thickest, the C9 is lee than 2 inches at the bottom where the power supply, the speakers, the inputs, and other bulkier components are located.
The black frame of the OLED C9 is barely visible and is less than ½ inch thick. There is no logo and no other designer feature, which will distract you from the amazing picture of this TV. The minimalist design is absolutely chic and will help you enjoy your movie, program, or game completely.
It comes with an elegant stand with a medium width and angled edges. It is heftier on the back to prevent the thin TV from tipping forward. Still, it has a minimal footprint.
The remote control has motion control features, which makes searching via the on-screen keyboard or signing into apps much easier. It also has a scroll option, which makes surfing through apps easier than ever.
If you prefer, you can use your voice to control the TV. Just press the mic button on the remote and ask for Google Assistant. You can use it for online searches of TV shows and apps, and for just about anything you need. Later on, the company has promised to provide updates, which will allow the TV to support Apple’s AirPlay 2 system as well.
The LG WebOS smart TV platform is very easy to use and customize in accordance with your preferences and your most commonly used content.
The platform has apps for all leading streaming services, including Google Play Movies, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Sling TV, as well as Spotify, SiriusXM, and iHeartRadio for music content.
In conclusion, we must say that if you can afford it, the LG OLED55C9PUA is the best 55 inch TV money can buy for 2020.
The Sony XBR55X900F is another superb 55 inch TV which is less expensive than our top overall best choice, and yet offers premium quality performance, excellent image quality, accurate colors, deep blacks, and a solid high dynamic range and video processing.
It features a quick and intuitive Android TV operating system, an integrated Google Assistant, which offers better smart options than the majority of the other TVs in this category.
The model was introduced in the spring l, so it is not part of the latest line of TVs introduced by Sony in 2020, and is available in various sizes, including 49, 55, 65, 75 and 85 inches, so there is an X900F TV for any need and preference.
The Sony XBR55X900F has a minimalist and modern design, which will be of the liking of most customers. It has a very thin frame, which is a tad thicker on the bottom and is made of transparent and reflective material and sports a tiny Sony logo.
The TV comes with a stand with two legs for added support and protection from tipping. The legs incorporate nifty cable management for a neater look.
The apps of the smart TV, including Netflix, Vudu, and Amazon, all support both HDR and 4K, and so does the Ultra app, which features Sony Pictures. Some of the other apps, like YouTube and Google Play Movies, support 4K.
Some of the other apps on the X900F TV include Sling TV, YouTube TV, DirecTV Now, PlayStation Vue, PlutoTV, MLB AtBat, Twitch, Facebook video, and others. There are also multiple games and other apps you can download via the Google Play Store on the TV.
You can also cast various apps from your android phone to the TV.
The remote control has a Google Assistant button so you can control the content and the settings of the TV set via your voice. If you connect the set to Alexa speakers, you can use voice commands without even pressing a button on the remote, so it is completely hands-free.
The 55 inch LED LCD X900F features full-array local dimming, which helps improve the contrast and the black levels by illuminating the different zones on the screen when necessary. It has a 4K resolution and is HDR10 compatible.
It has an impressive native 120Hz refresh rate, and the X1 extreme Processor allows for even better video processing than its predecessors and other models in the same range.
The Sony TV also has a Precision Clarity feature, which boosts the motion resolution and thus eliminates dimness and flickering.
It has Dolby Vision HDR and supports HDR10.
The TV has numerous inputs and connectivity options, including 4 HDMI ports with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, 3 USB ports, LAN. Composite video input, optical digital audio output, RF input, and an RS-232 mini-jack port.
Thanks to its X-Motion Clarity feature, the TV has impressive video processing. It delivers excellent results in its TruCinema MotionFlow setting, in the Cinema Pro picture mode, which is something that film purist lovers will truly appreciate.
It also has nifty options like Reality creation and Xtended Dynamic range, which improve lower-quality sources.
The Smooth Gradation helps reduce the transitions in color.
The input lag when connected to 1080p sources is about 41ms, and the 4K HDR input lag is an amazing 23.4ms, which is great news for PlayStation and other gaming fans.
The picture is uniform across the screen, but the Sony doesn’t have the wide viewing angle of the OLED C9 as can be expected from any LCD TV when compared to OLED.
The size of the Sony TV is 48 3/8 x 27 7/8 x 2 ¾ inches without the stand, and 48 3/8 x 30 3/8 x 10 5/8 inches with it.
Overall, the Sony XBR55X900F offers a solid performance for film, sports, TV viewing, and for gaming. Plus, it is not among the latest and most expensive models offered by the Japanese manufacturer, which makes it affordable and worthy of making it into the top best 55 inch TVs for 2020 too.
Best budget-friendly option
Not too long ago, you needed a substantial amount of money to buy a 4K TV, and when you did, you suddenly came to realize that there was hardly any 4K content that you could watch on your expensive TV anyway.
With a TV like the TCL 55S424, you won’t need to break the bank for a 4K smart 55 inch TV.
In fact, it is our top budget-friendly option for this list of the best 55 inch TVs for 2020. In fact, this affordable TV is also available in 43, 50, and 65-inch options as well.
This TV costs less than $400, and yet you can enjoy a relatively cutting edge 55 inch TV for watching and for gaming, even in 4K resolution.
Of course, for an appliance of this price, you cannot expect the supreme picture quality of the leading premium models on the market. The panel lights are a tad dim, and the otherwise accurate color range is narrow and without such stunning contrast, and without the Dolby audio support as the OLED and Sony at the top.
Yet, if you are not a tech freak, these are details which you will hardly notice on the inexpensive TLC 55S425 55 inch TV.
This budget-friendly 4K 55 inch TV is also a smart TV with integrated Roku TV, which provides instant access to various streaming services, apps, and TV shows. It also supports 4K content in HDR10.
The TLC TV has wider and yet premium looking bezels than the more costly TVs of this size. Its gunmetal frame is 0.4 inches on top, 0.8 inches on the bottom, and 0.5 inches on the sides.
All ports are set on the left side of the TV, with the exception of the power cable, which is on the right.
The available connections and ports are 3 HDMI, a USB, an Ethernet, an antenna or cable, an optical and a 3.5mm audio output, as well as a 3.5mm composite video input, which you can use for the 3.5mm – to composite RCA dongle.
The remote control has four dedicated buttons for Netflix, Hulu, DirecTV Now, and Sling TV. Although the remote control doesn’t have a mic for voice commands, you can use the Roku app for iOS or Android and use your phone for voice control of the TV.
The other apps and streaming services offered via the Roku TV platform include Amazon Prime Video, Google Play Movies, and TV, DirecTV Now, Netflix, Hulu, PlayStation Vue, Vudu, Sling, and YouTube, as well as Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora and SiriusXM among many other video and music streaming services.
You can also access the VOD libraries and live TV offered by different satellite and cable providers who have Roku apps.
Thanks to the Featured Free section of the Roku TV platform, you can enjoy watching free movies and TV programs and shows without subscribing to any streaming or cable service at all.
You can also stream content from computers with Windows 10 and via a phone or tablet.
The size of the TV without the stand is 49 x 28.4 x 3.1 inches, and it is 49 x 30.6 x 8 inches with the stand.
Overall, for a budget TV, the TLC 55S425 is pretty impressive and offers a wide variety of functionalities, including smart TV, free viewing options, connectivity, 4K, and HDR10, without having to spend thousands of dollars for a new 55 inch TV.
The rest of the best 55 inch TVs for 2020
If you are shopping for an excellent quality 4K LED 55 inch TV with great blacks a wide color gamut and decent viewing angles suitable for watching films, TV, playing games or use as a monitor, then the Samsung QN55Q80RAFXZA QLED TV is one of the best options on the market for 2020.
- Released in 2020
- Quantum Dots QLED offer billions of shades of brilliant vivid colors and detail depth
- A Direct full array 8X backlight with auto adjustment functions for the different zones
- Excellent viewing quality even during the darkest scenes
- The Black Frame Insertion feature removes the flicker and makes the images crisper
- A native refresh rate of 120 HZ, and a variable refresh rate – FreeSync
- 4K UHD and AI upscaling
- Quantum processor 4K which upscales the content to 4K with superb color and detail
- A Quantum HDR 12X provides the 4K depth powered by HDR10+ for astonishing picture realism
- An ultra-viewing angle for easy viewing from all seating positions in the room
- OneRemote with Bixby voice commands and a nifty on-screen universal guide to finding all streaming content and shows
- SmartThings for controlling smart home devices and appliances, expandable to Alexa and Google Assistant speakers
- The Real game enhancer provides smooth visuals without stuttering and a cinematic sound
- The TV is sold in 55, 65, 75, and 82 inch sizes
- The TV has an ambient mode which complements the room with visuals of your choice or with news when the TV is not in use
- Thin 0.39 inch bezels
- A thickness of 2.48 inches at the thickest part
- The footprint of the stand is 34.8 x 10 inches
- A VESA 200 x 200 wall mount pattern
- It has Bluetooth, Wireless, US and HDMI connectivity
- The ports include 4 HDMI, 2 USB, 1 digital optical audio out, a tuner or cable, Ethernet
- The size of the TV is 2.4 x 48.4 x 27.9 inches, and it weighs 56 lbs.
If you want the newer version of the runner-up on our list, then you won’t go wrong, because the Sony X950G 55 inch TV offers incredible colors, details, and clarity in a stunning 4K UHD resolution – perfect for mixed usage.
- The TV is available in 55, 65, 75, and 85-inch versions
- A model from 2020
- An impressive 4K picture with deep blacks thanks to the full array of local dimming and high native contrast
- A 4K HDR Picture Processor X1 Ultimate which upscales everything in real-time to near 4K HDR quality
- The 4K X-Reality Pro Object-based superb resolution provides incredible details and textures and removes any screen noise
- Pro 6x X-tended Dynamic Range for an amazing contrast and brightness of the picture
- Excellent color accuracy
- Superb motion handling and almost instantaneous response time
- A low input lag perfect for gamers
- A native refresh rate of 120 Hz
- Borders which are only 0.37 inches thick
- The maximum thickness of the TV is 2.69 inches
- The MotionFlow can be set to reduce the flicker frequency
- The stand has two feet which can be used for cable management, with a footprint of 40 x 10.6 inches
- A VESA 300 x 300 wall mount pattern
- The TV has 4 HDMI, 3 USB, 1 digital optical audio out, 1 analog audio out 3.5mm, a composite in an IR input and a tuner or cable input
- ARC HDMI 3, eARC support, and Dolby Atmos via TrueHD and eARC, 5.1 Dolby Digital
- Dolby Vision and HDR10
- The TV has an Android TV smart OS, which is easy to use, and has various features and apps, and provides access to Google Play Store for more apps of your choice
- Supports HDR on Netflix and YouTube
- The remote control has a microphone for accessing Google Assistant via voice commands
- It is compatible with Alexa as well for hands-free voice commands
The Samsung RU8000 is a reasonably priced, high quality 55 inch 4K, Tizen OS smart TV which is compatible with Alexa and HDR, which is perfect for all kinds of viewing and gaming experiences.
- Millions of color hues and shades thanks to the Dynamic Crystal Color
- A powerful 4K UHD processor for ultimate upscaling to 4K picture quality of any source
- See all the little details on the screen via the HDR
- You can control the TV with your voice via Bixby or Alexa
- It provides a smooth gaming and sports viewing experience without stutter and with a cinematic sound
- It supports FreeSync refresh rate, and has an excellent response time, and has a native refresh rate of 120 Hz
- The motion interpolation is up to 120 fps
- A wide viewing angle
- A clever cable management system in the hollow legs of the TV stand
- The footprint of the stand is 35.75 x 10 inches
- A 200 x 200 VESA wall mount pattern
- OneRemote for controlling the TV as well as all other compatible devices
- A sleek and modern design with very thin bezels of just 0.55 inches
- The maximum thickness of the TV us 2.37 inches
- The available ports are: 4 HDMI, 2 USB, 1 digital optical audio out, 1 tuner, cable or antenna, an Ethernet port
- It runs the latest version of Tizen Smart OS, with various preinstalled apps and offers access to other apps via the Samsung app store
- This is a new model from 2020
The Sony XBR-55A9G 55 inch TV is a premium quality television from Sony’s Master Series offering an amazing OLED 4K Ultra HD picture quality, perfect for even the most pretentious viewers.
- An OLED TV with a Triluminos display, which provides one of the most incredible pictures on the market
- The 4K HDR Picture Processor X1 Ultimate of the 4K TV supporting HDR, can display HDR10, Dolby Vision, Hybrid Log Gamma in HDR
- 4K X-Reality PRO technology for realistic detail and textures on the screen
- A stylish and striking design and stand which allows for the TV to sit at only 0.2 inches on any surface
- Minimalist design with a tiny 0.3-inch black bezel of the bezel-less OLED display
- It has 4 HDMI, 3 USB, 1 3.5mm headphone jack, a 3.5mmcomposite video, and a 3.5mm IR port and speaker connectors, an Ethernet, an optical audio output and an ES-232C and antenna cable connector ports
- It features the exclusive Sony Acoustic Surface Audio+ which use a pair of 10-watt actuators on the OLED panel to produce sound instead of conventional speakers
- There is also a pair of 20-watt subwoofers for a large and realistic sound field and an immersive experience
- The TV combines the IMAX Enhanced and Dolby Vision technologies for an immersive home cinema experience
- It has the following pre-set picture modes: vivid, standard cinema, game, photo, graphics, custom, bright, Dolby Vision, Dolby Vision dark and Netflix calibrated
- The TV has Android TV and can be voice-controlled hands-free via Google Assistant
- The smart TV has pre-installed all leading streaming services including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Google Play Movies and TV, Sling TV, Hulu, YouTube, Pandora, Google Play Music, Spotify, Tidal, SiriusXM and many others
- It also has Google Cast
- Compatible with Google Home and Alexa
- A low input lag in its gaming mode of just 18.9ms
- MotionFlow XR refresh rate of 120 Hz
- The size of the TV with the stand is 48 3/8 x 28 1/8 x 10 1/8 inches
- The size without the stand is 48 3/8 x 28 x 1 5/8 inches, and it can be mount flush to the wall
- It has a very wide viewing angle
- Also available in 65 and 77-inch size options
- It is a model from 2020
The Sony X800G is an entry-level IPS 4K 55 inch TV, which is a reasonably priced option for those of you not willing to spend tons of money on the high-end models by the Japanese brand.
- The TV has an IPS panel and a 4K GDR resolution, with HDR10 and HLG compatibility
- It upscales the picture to a more realistic one via the 4K X-Reality Pro
- Thanks to the Motion Flow XR, the movements on the screen are more lifelike
- The Dynamic Contrast Enhancer also helps produce a more lifelike picture
- A wide color gamut and great gray uniformity which is good news for sports and movie lovers
- It works with Android TV operating system and provides access to all popular streaming services as well as access to other Android apps via the Google Play Store
- It is compatible with Alexa and Google Home devices
- The bezels of the TV are 0.61 inches, and the maximum thickness of the TV is 3.15 inches
- The size of the TV without the stand is 48 7/8 x 28 ½ x 3 1/8 inches, and with the stand, it is 28 7/8 x 31 x 13 ¼ inches
- The TV is offered in a variety of sizes: 43, 49, 55, 65 and 75 inches
- The footprint of the stand is 39 x 13.2 inches
- The TV can be wall-mounted via a VESA 200 x 200 mount
- Integrated cable management for a neater environment
- It has a wide viewing angle for all seating areas in the room
- A native refresh rate of 60 Hz
- It has 4 HDMI, 3 USB, 1 digital optical audio out, 1 component in, one composite in, 1 tuner and cable, 1 Ethernet and 1 IR in ports
- It works with an intuitive remote control and also via a mobile phone remote app
- Released in 2020
The LG SM9000 is an affordable all-purpose 4K 55 inch TV which is great for enjoying movies, watching sports, playing games, or for use as a computer monitor. Plus, it is sold in a bundle with everything you will need to set up your own home movie theater, including a soundbar, a mounting kit, a keyboard, and a surge adaptor.
- The 4K TV features the NanoCell technology for better color accuracy and a wide spectrum of rich colors
- It is a 4K HDR LED TV with an integrated LG ThinQ AI technology
- The TV has wide viewing angles suitable for all kinds of rooms and placements
- It has a full array dimming system
- It supports HDR10, Dolby Vision and HLG
- It also supports ARC, eARC, Dolby Atmos via TrueHD, 5.1 Dolby Digital, 5.1. DTS
- Thanks to the low input lag and fast response time, as well as support for the newest HDMI refresh rate technology, it is great for gaming
- A native refresh rate of 120 HZ, and HDMI Forum VRR variable refresh rate via HDMI
- It has 4 HDMI 2.1 ports so it is future proof
- The other ports include 3 USB, 1 digital optical out, a composite in, a tuner and antenna, an Ethernet
- The centrally placed stand requires smaller space, and include a cable management system
- The footprint of the stand is 33.1 x 10.4 inches
- It can be mounted to the wall via a 300 x 030 VESA pattern
- The borders of the TV are 0.43 inches
- The maximum thickness of the TV is 2.48 inches
- It works with a WebOS smart TV platform and offers a wide selection of apps
- The remote control can be used as a virtual pointer and as a microphone for voice control
- This TV is currently offered at an excellent price in a bundle with a Home theater surround sound 31-inch soundbar with 2.1 channels and 40 watts, a Bluetooth NFC, a 2.4 GHz wireless backlit keyboard and smart remote, a slim flat wall mount bundle kit and a SurgePro 6 NT 750 Joule 6-outlet surge adapter
The Toshiba 55LF722U20 is a decent entry-level 55 inch 4K TV which has built-in Fire TV and has everything the average viewer can expect from a smart 4K TV for all types of viewing. And it is sold at a price which is a fraction of what you will have to pay for most of the other 55 inch TVs in this range.
- A budget-friendly TV with decent qualities
- It has a good design and a stable stand with a footprint of 28.9 x 11.6 inches
- It mounts to the wall via a VESA 200 x 300
- Its borders are 0.67 inches, and the maximum thickness of the TV is 3.43 inches
- Thanks to the semi-gloss finish of the screen, the TV handles reflections very well
- A very fast response time
- A native refresh rate of 60 Hz
- It has 3 HDMI, 1 USB, 1 digital optical audio out, 1 analog audio out 3.5mm, 1 composite in, and 1 Ethernet, and 1 cable or antenna tuner in
- It has built-in Fire TV and supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision
- The Fire TV smart TV system offers a wide selection of apps and is easy to set up and use even by people who are not tech-savvy
- The TV is compatible with Amazon Alexa devices and can be controlled via voice commands
- The easy to use remote control works with other Alexa devices as well
- You can also control the TV via a mobile phone remote app
- The TV is also available in other size options including 32, 43, 49, and 50 inches
Features to look for when buying a 55 inch TV
If your home or your budget is too small for one of the huge sized TVs, the best way to go is to buy one of the amazing 55 inch TVs available at the market right now.
55 inches is the perfect size because it will provide you with an excellent viewing experience without taking up too much space and most of the wall space in your room.
Plus, the prices of the good quality 4K 55 inch TVs are much more affordable than those which are 65 inches or more.
Most of the 55 inches on the market and all of the ones we have picked for you, support 4K Ultra HD resolution, have smart features and HDR.
But still, choosing the best one for you could be quite a frustrating task.
The most important factor, of course, is how much money you are ready to pay for your new home entertainment system.
Also, you need to pick between the LCD and OLED panels. While OLEDs are thinner and provide cinema-level blacks, the LCDs are usually cheaper and have unrivaled brightness which is an excellent feature when watching HDR movies or playing HDR games.
Here are some tips when picking your new 55 inch TV:
- Avoid 1080p TVs and go for one with a resolution of 4K or more – this is essential as more TVs and streaming services are broadcasting in 4K native quality (Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Video and others), so you will be investing in the future
- Be prepared to pay from $500 to $800 for a good entry-level 55 inch TV, and quite a bit more for the flagship and other high-end devices of this size
- Choose a TV which has a refresh rate of at least 120 Hz and with good motion control processing, especially if you are planning to use the TV for playing games, watching sports or other action-filled This will lower or eliminate the blurring and make the experience much smoother and more enjoyable for you
- Look for a TV which is HDR compatible, as it will provide you with better contrast and much more realistic colors. At this point Dolby Vision seems to be the standard gaining momentum, so look for this feature in your future TV
- OLED TVs are thinner and look better but they are quite more expensive than LED LCD TVs
- Look for a TV which has at least 3 HDMI ports, especially if you are planning on connecting your top set box, console, soundbar, and DVD or Blu-ray player to it. Also, look for TVs which have at least one HDMI 2.0 supported port for accommodating Ultra HD sources
- Since most 55 inch TVs are smart TVs this feature isn’t something extraordinary, but you may want to try out the smart OS platforms and the apps which are available for your TV set
- Except in very rare cases, don’t expect a movie theater-like sound, so get ready to buy a sound bar to complement the audio of your TV. Due to their thin designs, the manufacturers are making the speakers smaller.
- Look for a TV with a longer or extended warranty, just to stay on the safe side, even though modern TVs are very resilient, so if there is a problem with the panel or the TV it will most likely become evident in the first weeks of your purchase
- Choose a TV with a wide viewing angle, especially if you live in a household with a lot of members, or if you are setting the TV up in a narrow space
- If the TV of your choice has a good cable management system, you will eliminate the clutter and hide away all those unsightly cables, which is essential if you are planning on mounting the TV on the wall, and if you want an undistracted viewing or gaming experience
- Having the inputs on the side of the TV will make them easily accessible, which is also important if you want a hassle-free experience when connecting or disconnecting different devices
- A built-in Wi-Fi and an Ethernet input will allow you to connect your TV to your home network, and to the Internet so that you can share media content and take advantage of the smart functionality, such as watching streaming services, and other online content
- When buying a LED LCD 55 inch TV look for the local or active dimming features it has, this will help provide a better mix of light and dark in the picture. The full-array LED TVs have light-emitting diodes located directly behind the panel which light up the different zones of the screen individually for a better and more detailed and precise picture
- QLED TVs are not OLED TVs. They feature a quantum dot technology which offers a wider color spectrum and an increased brightness by lighting up different sized Nanocrystal dots
- Curved screens may look cool, but in fact, they have no benefit for the viewing experience, and may even cause a distortion of the image, plus they have very limited viewing angles and are generally more expensive than the flat-screen models
- The user interface for the smart options is essential if you want to easily find and access your favorite content available online or in your network. Samsun, Vizio, and LG have nifty icons on a bar located on the bottom of the screen. TCL Roku TVs provide unlimited, ad-free and free content to more than 1,000 sources and thousands of movies and TV series. Sony relies on Google’s Android TV platform for its smart services, which means that you will get access to all of the hundreds of streaming, information, gaming and other apps available in Google TV play store. If you are looking for a TV which will allow you to watch a specific streaming service, make sure you check out whether it supports it before buying it
- The remote control is also important. Some models support voice control, and others have gesture control or OneRemote. Most of the models on our list also have an option for controlling the TV via an app downloaded and installed on your smartphone
- Look for a TV which will suit your needs – decide on the best model depending on whether you are going to use it for gaming or watching sports, or as a PC monitor or simply for watching movies
Well, we hope that our 55 inch TV buying guide has been of use to you. We truly believe that we have managed to encapsulate all of the best offers for TV sets of this size which are currently available on the market.
We have added some budget-friendly entry-level models which actually are pretty good and will cost you just several hundred dollars. Of course, our top 10 best list also includes the best higher-end models of 2020, which may cost more, but actually provide the quality they promise to provide.
With the wide range of options and prices of the TVs included in our best 55 inch TV list for 2020, we think that everyone will find the right TV for their needs.
No matter which one you pick, you will be flabbergasted at the quality of the picture and of the viewing and gaming experience these TVs provide, especially if you are moving up from a smaller TV set with lower resolution capabilities.
So, go ahead and invest in a good quality 55 inch TV today, and enjoy the experience of having your own affordable and space-saving home theater experience!
We are sure that you will be happy with your investment and that you will never consider moving back to a smaller TV without the 4K Ultra HD capabilities and excellent features of these wonderful TV sets.
Good luck with your purchase, and we wish you many hours of amazing picture quality and an immersive watching or gaming experience with your new 55 inch TV!
Last update on 2020-07-12 at 23:53 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API