So, you have been deliberating about upgrading to a 4K monitor, but have no clue what to look for and how to pick the best one for your needs?
We have tested a wide range of 4K monitors, and have asked image and video processing professionals as well as gamers about their opinions on the different Ultra-High Definition monitors available on the market in 2018, to come up with our ultimate top 10 best 4K monitor list for 2018 for you.
We have tried to pick monitors for all budgets as well as monitors for all needs, including movie viewing, regular computer use, 4K gaming as well as for professional use.
So, go ahead and take a look at what we honestly consider are the top 10 4K monitors on the market right now.
We hope that we can help you make your choice. If you want more information about choosing a 4K monitor, make sure to read our brief guide on the features to look for when shopping for a 4K monitor, and some other useful information which will help you make a more informed choice.
Here is our roundup, and our top favorite 4K UHD monitors being offered in 2018.
The LG 27UK80-W 4K UHD monitor is our top favorite 4K monitor for 2018 due to its versatility, its gorgeous picture and its FreeSync feature which is a great bonus for all of you AMD users.
The monitor has a stunning 3840 x 2160 4K UHD resolution with amazingly accurate colors. Thanks to the fact that the screen has an IPS panel, the viewing angle of the UK80-W is very wide. This means that there will be distortion or a lower quality of the image no matter where you are sitting while using it.
It is HDR10 compatible, which allows it to provide a quality of the picture, colors, and details which surpasses those of all other ordinary monitors out there. The 4K monitor from LG is very versatile when it comes to connectivity, as it offers USB Type C connectivity and HDCP 2.2 compatibility.
The USB Type C port allows for seamless data transfer, 4K video transfer, and display, and also charging of a mobile phone or laptop all via one single cable.
The AMD FreeSynch technology will make all you gamers very happy, as it provides a smooth and fluid gaming experience with no stuttering or distortion of the high resolution, even in the highest-speed games you play.
As an additional bonus for gamers, the LG 27UK850-W has a Black Stabilizer quick switch, which will enhance the darker scenes, as well as Dynamic Action Sync which will make the gaming experience even smoother and fluid.
The LG 27UK850-W flaunt a 99% sRGB color gamut which results in some of the most lifelike and accurate colors we have seen on a 4K monitor this year. The sRGB color gamut is something which professionals who need a monitor for photo or video editing, graphic design and other visual arts and work will truly appreciate.
The monitor itself has a very thin bezel, which will give you a borderless visual experience. It is not only sleek and beautiful, but the design will not distract you from your work, gaming or viewing experience at all.
The stand of the monitor can be adjusted by height (up to 110mm), pivot (up to portrait orientation – up to 90 degrees) and tilt (5 degrees to the front and 20 degrees to the back), so everybody can find the most comfortable positioning of the screen for their needs.
Of course, you can also attach the monitor to an arm or other, as the back stand is VESA compliant.
The ports of the LG 27 inch 4K monitor include 2 HDMI 2.0 ports, a DisplayPort 1.2, a headphone jack and a USB-C port. They are all HDCP 2.2 compatible which will allow you to view 4K content without any problems from your UHD Blu-ray player, 4K console or from 4K streaming devices and sources.
The on-screen control is conveniently set in one window screen which you can adjust and set via your mouse instead of using the joystick button on the monitor itself. You can easily toggle the brightness, volume, the picture mode and gaming settings with one click of the mouse. You also have an option of using the split screen and the PIP features which the 27UK850 offers.
The 4K monitor has two Waves MaxxAudio speakers which provide quite decent audio.
Overall, our top pick – the LG 27UK850-W will amaze you with its incredible 4K picture. We must say that the realistic colors are absolutely gorgeous. The support of HDR10, as well as the AMD FreeSynch and other features which will make gamers, visual arts professionals and casual users very happy!
Our runner-up is this fabulous 28-inch QLED LCD 4K UHD monitor from Samsung. UH750 monitor is a top recommended 4K monitor for professionals, gamers and for casual users, because thanks to Samsung’s QLED quantum dot technology, it will present you with vivid colors like you have never seen before. The contrast ratio is 1000:1, the brightness rating is 300 cd/m², and all this is perfectly combined with the support for up to a whopping 1.07 billion colors. Plus, all of this is available at a very affordable price too!
The monitor has a 28-inch Quantum Dot backlit TN panel with a 4K UHD native resolution, a 60 Hz refresh rate and a response time of just 1ms, which makes it an excellent option for gamers, for people who want to use the monitor for viewing 4K streaming content, as well as for professional use.
Overall, you will get the feeling that you are actually inside the picture once you start using this top quality UHD monitor from Samsung.
The 28 inch UH750 also supports AMD FreeSynch, so the refresh rates of the monitor will be automatically synched with your graphics card frame rates for a smooth and uninterrupted gaming experience.
The 28-inch screen has a resolution of 3840 x 2160 UHD which will blow your mind, especially if you are upgrading from a lower resolution monitor. Thanks to the Quantum Dot backlighting, the UH750 has a very wide viewing angle both vertically and horizontally, so you can see what is going on the screen, no matter where you choose to sit or stand.
It has various connectivity options including 2 HDMI 2.0 inputs, a DisplayPort 1.2 and a headphone jack. You can easily connect your 4K consoles such as the PS4 Pro, Xbox Scorpio or Xbox One X and enjoy a more detailed and realistic gaming experience than you have ever seen!
The design of the UH750 is very sleek and will look great on your desk. The bezels are very thin and the rear as the matte black ribbed surface similar to that of the latest Samsung TVs, so it looks great from all sides. There is a nifty cable management system which will allow you to hide and keep all the cables coming in and out of the monitor in order.
The height of the stand is adjustable up to 3.54 inches, and it can be tilted to a comfortable viewing angle as well. The monitor can be mounted on the wall, an arm or other via the available 100×100 VESA mounting hole pattern.
The 28-inch Quantum Dot Technology monitor also features the very useful JOG button which until now was reserved only for the higher end models from Samsung. It is an easy to use a multidirectional joystick for on-screen display control.
You can choose among its various picture mode presets, including MagicBright, Eye Saver Mode, Eco Saving, Gaming, Black Equalizer, PIP, PBP, and others.
You can use the nifty Picture in Picture, as well as the Picture by Picture options to view images or videos from two separate sources at the same time, as well as for enhancing your work.
In conclusion, we must say that the 4K UHD QLED LCD Samsung U28H750 offers breathtaking images, colors, contrast, and details. It is suitable both for playing and for working and has multiple features which make it a very versatile 4K monitor.
What we loved the most, is the fact that it is very reasonably priced given the quality provided!
Because not everybody is ready to spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on a good 4K monitor, we have picked the best budget choice in our list as well. The LG 27 UD58 B costs just fragments of what most other 4K monitors do, and yet we were pretty happy with its performance when we got to test it.
It features a 27 inch 4K UHD IPS screen, but the model comes in other sizes too, including 24, 31.5 and 34 inches.
The LG 27UD58-B is one of the cheapest IPS UHD 4K gaming monitors with a FreeSynch option on the market. The low input lag is excellent for a 60Hz monitor and will allow you to enjoy smooth and fluid 4K gaming.
It has relatively good motion handling and delivers vibrant colors and a stellar 4K resolution similar to that of higher end 4K monitors we have tested.
The AH-IPS panel has 10-bit color depth support and comes pre-calibrated to cover more than 99% of sRGB color gamut. It has a flicker-free function which is kind to your eyes and has a 5ms response time, so you can watch fast-moving action and objects with no trailing or blur.
The density of the pixels per inch is 163. It also has an impeccable near 180-degree viewing angle which is perfect for wider seating settings.
This affordable 4K monitor from LG has some nifty features worth mentioning, including the Dynamic Action Sync for low input lag during gameplay. Also, if you have an AMD graphics card, you can take advantage of the AMD FreeSync to synchronize the refresh rate of the monitor and the GPU, so that you don’t have to deal with annoying and distracting stuttering and tearing of the action.
Thanks to the LG On-screen control software, you can easily adjust all the settings of the UD58-B via the user-friendly desktop application.
The monitor has a split screen feature which is perfect for work or multi-tasking.
Also, you can use the pre-set picture modes to adjust the screen to the type of content you are watching. There are FPS and RTS gaming profile settings, as well as a custom mode which you can set for your specific needs. Some of the other nifty presets include Photo, Reader, Cinema, Color Weakness, and Dark Room. The best part is that with the On-screen control menu, you can assign a certain picture mode to every application you open, which will allow for the LG monitor to automatically adjust itself every time you open the application.
You also will get a Black Stabilizer feature for better visibility of darker scenes, as well as a 6-axis color adjustment, and all sorts of adjustments for the color and brightness of the LG 27UD58-B.
If you want to toggle with the settings directly through the monitor, you can use the OSD joystick for accessing the user-friendly OSD menu as well.
The design of the UD58-B is simple and yet elegant and features the trademark ArcLine stand. The screen can be tilted to -2 to 15 degrees, and the monitor can be mounted on a wall or arm via the 100×100 VESA mounting holes.
Thanks to the 3H anti-glare coating of the screen, you will not have problems with distracting reelections while you are working or playing.
The inputs and outputs of the LG 27UD58-B include 2 HDMI 2.0, a DisplayPort 1.2 and an audio line out. They are compatible with 4K capable consoles if you enable the HDMI Ultra HD Deep color option in the OSD settings.
In the end, we must say that the LG 27UD58-B offers just about any feature you would want in a 4K monitor for fluid gaming and flawless image quality, as well as a wide number of useful features. The 4K UHD resolution provides a very good, vivid and detailed picture, and the wide viewing angle makes this monitor an excellent option for anybody on a limited budget!
Here are the rest of the top 10 4K monitors we have picked for 2018
We recommend the excellent BenQ SW271 4K monitor for those of you who do a lot of photo and video editing, and for graphic artists and designers, who need to be able to view perfectly accurate colors and details at all times.
- 27 inch IPS 4K UHD 3840 x 2160p resolution monitor
- Supports HDR for even more details and sharper brightness
- Features the AQColor technology with 99% Adobe RGB coverage and hardware calibration support. The colors are factory pre-calibrated and Technicolor certified
- You can easily transmit a video or data signal via the USB Type-C port for easy and precise calibration
- A 14-bit 3D LUT (look-up table) for improved color blending accuracy and reproduction
- An advanced black and white mode setting allows you to preview your photos in three diverse black and white presets
- The GamutDuo function allows for splitting the screen in Picture By Picture mode and turning on the Picture in Picture mode for comparing images and colors, or for multitasking
- A Hotkey Puck which you can use for switching in between sRGB and RGB mode, or to Black and White mode seamlessly, or for any other modes from the OSD you choose
- The monitor is sold with a removable shading hood which can be used in portrait and in landscape orientations and is for eliminating any glare to the screen
Do you want a 4K HDR gaming monitor with Free-Sync for less than $500? The BenQ EL2870U is probably the best option you can find in 2018.
- 28 inch LED monitor with a 3840×2160 4K UHD resolution
- Features a Brightness intelligence plus technology which adjusts the color temperature and brightness in accordance with the content and the ambient lighting for reducing eye straining and for the best performance
- HDR and Cinema HDR support for incredible details, increased dynamic range and clarity
- AMD FreeSynch which provides fluid and uninterrupted gameplay
- HDMI 2.0, DPI 1.4, DisplayPort inputs allow for connecting multiple devices
- Available in 24, 24.5, 27 and 28-inch sizes
- 1ms GTG response time for gameplay without lag, ghosting or stutter
- A smart focus feature provides a window for the main viewing content without distractions
- Slim design
If you need a 4K monitor with an outstanding color accuracy for your work in design photography, print and post-production, then the Eizo Coloredge CG318-4K is definitely the best professional range monitor to choose.
- 27 inch IPS LED display with a 4K UHD 4096 x 2160 resolution
- Enhanced pixel density provides you with amazing detail and picture accuracy despite the large screen size
- Comes with a removable monitor hood
- A built-in sensor for color calibration for perfectly accurate colors all of the time eliminates the need of using a third party calibration tool
- A 350 cd/m2 brightness range
- Wide horizontal and vertical viewing angles of 178 degrees
- A contrast ratio of 1500:1 allows for showing true blacks as no other typical LCD screen can
- The 10-bit simultaneous display allows for showing more than a billion colors on the screen at the same time
- Wide color gamut – covers 99% of Adobe’s RGB color space and 98% of DCI-P3 and 100% of the other common color standards
- The digital uniformity equalizer (DUE) automatically corrects any fluctuations in the chromaticity and brightness on different areas of the screen, as well as the effects which the temperature in the room has on the colors and brightness
- 3D LUT feature which can be applied to view how viewers will see the video by applying a special film
- Supports 1,079 billion colors
- Response time is 6ms
- A refresh rate of 60 Hz
- Quick warm up – it takes only 3 minutes for the Eizo CG318 to reach its full brightness, color, and tone
- The RGB color of each monitor is adjusted in the factory for the best tonal display and for complete uniformity between the performances of all monitors of this series
- 2 HDMI, DisplayPort, Mini Display Port, VGA USB, 4 USB 3.0 and DVI-D ports
- Comes with useful Broadcast and Cinema preset modes for DCI, EBU, SMPTE-C, and709
- A safe Area Marker allows you to set an area on the screen which shows on any display device so that you can ensure that all of the text and other content is visible
- The excellent flicker-free screen will sufficiently reduce the strain of your eyes and fatigue after long hours spent in front of the monitor
- 5-year warranty and 24/7 tech support
If you are looking for a 4K monitor specifically designed to meet your personal and competitive gaming needs, then our top suggestion for 2018 is the Acer Predator XB271HK.
- A stunning 27 inch IPS UHD 4K widescreen with a stunningly vibrant 3840 x 2160 resolution perfect for immersive gaming sessions
- The flicker-less and low blue light emission Eye Protect technology is a must for all you marathon gamers out there, and will reduce the straining of the eyes to a minimum
- 4ms response time and a fast 60Hz refresh rate
- A very wide viewing angle of up to 178 degrees
- Covers 100% of the sRGB color space
- Dimensions are 15.8 x 21.7 x 24.2 inches with the stand and 14.5 x 24.2 x 10.6 without it
- 1 HDMI and 1 DisplayPort v1.2, 4 USB 3.0 ports
- 300 nit brightness range
- 2 built-in 2 watt speakers
- An ergonomic ErgoStand which can tilt (up to 40 degrees), pivot (up to 90 degrees), swivel and be adjusted in height for the perfect gaming positioning and best viewing angle
- Features the NVIDIA G-Synch technology for synchronizing the refresh rate of the monitor with the GPU for smoother gameplay and no input lag
- Three gaming presets which are customizable
- A very attractive design which will complement your home game station perfectly
- The monitor is also available in a 32-inch size version
If 4K is simply not enough, and you are ready to splurge in for a high-end 8K monitor with the best color reproduction ever – you should definitely go with Dell’s UltraSharp. It is an expensive monitor meant for professionals, but if you can afford it, and want to be among the first to enter the future of 8K resolution, this monitor is the one to have.
- A mind-blowing 7680 x 4320 8K resolution like nothing you have seen before – it will almost look like 3D
- 32-inch 8K monitor with a 16:9 aspect ratio
- Brightness is 400 cd/m2
- 6ms response time
- A 1,300:1 contrast ratio for the blackest blacks and the whitest whites on the screen
- The best color reproduction in the industry, supports 1.07 billion colors, with 100% Adobe RGB, 100% sRGB, 100% Rec 709, and 98% DCI-P3 color gamut
- Perfect for professionals who work with daily photo and video editing, print, post-production, graphic design and art, and others
- Very stylish design and durable build
- The screen can be adjusted vertically up to 120mm, swiveled by 60 degrees and rotated to portrait orientation at 90 degrees
- 2 DisplayPorts (these need to both be connected to the graphics card for a full 8K resolution), an audio out, USB upstream and 2 USB downstream ports
- It comes factory pre-calibrated so you will receive the brilliant colors and image as soon as you take it out of the box
- The older and more widely available 4K and Full HD content looks impressive on this monitor as well
- Can be an indispensable tool for all professionals who require this type of stunning and accurate colors, image quality and details which cannot be seen on any other monitor on the market just yet
- Works with the recently updated Adobe Photoshop which now supports 8K displays
If you are a gaming nerd who loves both PC and console gaming and you are looking for an upgrade to a perfect 4K gaming monitor, we highly recommend the ViewSonic XG3220.
- A brilliant 4K UHD resolution of 3840x2160p, more than 8 million pixels on this 32-inch monitor
- Smooth framerates thanks to the AMD FreeSync feature will make playing games a much more enjoyable and a totally immersive experience
- A completely adjustable stand for the perfect viewing angle and comfortable seating position
- Blue light filter to keep your eyes feeling fresh and well even after long hours of playing
- Supports HDR10 content for an incredible contrast, color, and performance
- A lot of connectivity options allow for connecting to PCs, Macs, Xbox One, PS4 consoles and more – HDMI, DisplayPort and USB ports
- Color-X gaming mode for optimal visuals and speed
- A wide range of pre-set visual modes to meet the needs for any type of gameplay and game
- Adjustable 22 level black stabilization for better viewing of darker scenes
- 60Hz refresh rate and low input lag for seamless gameplay
- VESA compatible mount option
- 2 onboard speakers
- 3-year warranty
For those of you want a maximum 4K screen space, we suggest you take a closer look at the 43 inch ViewSonic VX4380-4K.
- A huge 43 inch 4K screen with 3840 x 2160p resolution
- 103 pixels per inch for a crisper, sharper and lifelike viewing and gaming experience
- The 10-bit SuperClear IPS panel provides a 178-degree viewing angle, so you can have a clear view of the display no matter where you decide to sit
- The blue light filter and the flicker-free technology minimize the strain on the eyes during prolonged use
- Two 7W speakers for enhanced audio
- A Multipicture support which will allow you to view up to four pictures from four sources at once – excellent for multitasking
- Superb for photo editing, design, and other professional use, but it is great for viewing movies and for gaming too
- The monitor can be tilted from -5 to 12 degrees
- It sits on a very stable base, so you don’t have to worry about it toppling over
- VESA mount compatible so you can fit it on a monitor arm as well
- 2 HDMI 2.0, 3 USB-A, DisplayPort 1.2 and mini DisplayPort inputs
- A sleek design with narrow bezels
- 3-year warranty and access to the customer support service
Features to look for when purchasing a 4K monitor
Since there are already quite a lot of 4K monitors available on the market, we would like to point out some of the important features you should look for when buying the perfect UHD monitor for your needs.
We strongly suggest that you invest in the largest 4K monitor you can which is within your budget and which can fit the space you have available. Like with 4K TVs, the larger the screen size of your 4K monitor – the better the viewing, gaming or working experience will be. Bigger 4K monitors are more expensive too though.
Remember that the screen size of the monitor is measured by the length of the diagonal. Take a look at the dimensions of the monitor as well as the footprint of the stand in order to make sure that it will fit on your desk or the space you have allocated for it.
If you spend long hours playing or working on your computer, then you need to be certain that the monitor is adjustable, so that you can make it as comfortable for viewing as possible. Most of the 4K monitors on our list can be tilted, rotated to portrait orientation, swiveled, as well as adjusted by height. The adjustability is essential if you want to avoid ending up with a stiff neck or feeling all sore and tired from sitting in an uncomfortable viewing position.
It is always better to get a monitor which has a wider vertical and horizontal viewing angle, especially if you move around or change seating positions while using it. Monitors with IPS LCD panels, as well as Samsung’s QLED monitors have wide viewing angles of up to 178-180 degrees which will allow you to see what is going on on the screen without any distortion of the image or the colors from wherever you are sitting or standing.
Of course, if you are going to be positioned directly in front of the monitor at all times, you can go with one which doesn’t have such a wide viewing angle.
When you buy a new monitor, especially a 4K one, it is crucial that you make sure that you will be able to use it in the future as well. After all, there are monitors which are pretty expensive, so you want to be absolutely positive that you are making a long-term investment when buying one.
So, check out whether it has the ports which are most commonly used, and that it supports the high 4K resolution which more programs, applications, video streaming services, and game creators are offering. Of course, if you want to get even more ahead of time, you can invest in the Dell UltraSharp monitor which is the only 8K monitor available at the moment and is one of the most future-oriented ones on the market.
Inputs, outputs, and ports
It is very important to check the outputs on your computer, consoles, and other devices you are planning to attach to your new 4K monitor before you go ahead and purchase one. Most of our top picks have 2 or more HDMI inputs, a DirectPort, USB inputs and outputs and other ports to choose from. So, go ahead and check the type of ports you will need before buying an expensive monitor which can end up being completely useless for you due to the lack of proper connectivity options.
There are different panel types used for the 4K monitors. The cheapest is the Twisted Nematic (TN) type. They are not as accurate when it comes to colors and images as the others. Vertical Alignment (VA) panels are better but with not so good viewing angles, and IPS panels are the best options at the moment. IGZO is a rarer panel which delivers top quality performance, but consumes more energy and is more expensive. There are still no OLED 4K monitors available, but maybe in the future, we will be seeing some of these too.
Naturally, the resolution is one of the most important features to consider. The more pixels which are packed on a certain screen size, the better and sharper the image will be. So, you may want to look at the pixels per inch (PPI) which is the number of horizontal pixels divided by the horizontal length of the screen. The higher the PPI is, the better.
The higher the resolution, the sharper and crisper the image will appear. Plus, a higher resolution means more screen space, which is why most of our favorite 4K monitors in our list have split screen, multiple screen and picture in picture options as well. This is a brilliantly indispensable feature for people who work with multiple images or documents, and who need to view them side by side. It is also perfect for multitasking or enjoying watching other content while using the monitor for work or play.
Higher resolution is especially important in monitors which are 27 inches or larger, because it is on a large screen when inaccuracies with the images and colors will be more visible.
4K UHD resolution is the best resolution for monitors which are 27 inches or larger.
There are two aspects of color to keep in mind when picking the best 4K monitor. One is the number of colors which can be displayed, and the other is the accuracy of these colors. The color spectrum of a monitor is called a color gamut, and the colors in the gamut range are called color space.
As you can see from our reviews, the color gamut is expressed in percentages of specific color spaces, such as Adobe RGB, sRGB, DCI-P3 and others. Most of the monitors we have picked for you have very wide color gamut reaching 99 to 100% of many of these color spaces. The RGB color space is important for image editing, while as the DCI P3 is used in digital cinema.
Higher color accuracy and uniformity are crucial for 4K monitors because this will allow for their expected great 4K performance and delivery. Color accuracy is especially essential if you are choosing a 4K monitor for doing your job as a photo or video editor, a graphics designer, artist, print, post-production or other experts who needs to be able to get the colors as accurate as possible for the best results.
If you are just a regular user who plans on using the 4K monitor for watching HDR content and movies or playing games, then a 99-100% coverage of sRGB should be sufficient for you.
For lower resolution monitors, refresh rates of 144Hz are not unusual, but for 4K monitors, the refresh rate is usually 30 to 60 Hz due to the more complicated image processing. Still, some 4K gaming monitors have a refresh rate of 144Hz, but a 60Hz 4K monitor should be good enough both for gaming and for image editing.
This is the ratio between the length and the height of the monitor’s display. The most popular ratio used is 16:9 which is superb for watching movies and gameplay. For some esports and gaming fans, a monitor with a 21:9 aspect ratio could be more suitable. As for the monitors with a 16:10 ratio, they provide more workspace, and are suitable for those of you who work with a lot of images or documents.
The higher-end 4K monitors have a brightness rating of 300 to 350 cd/m2. Keep in mind that higher brightness can cause more stress to your eyes. The suitable brightness rating for professional use is 250 cd/m2.
This ratio shows the difference between the darkest and the lightest peak on the screen. You should buy a monitor with a higher contrast ratio so that the images are clearer even in the darkest and brightest of scenes. This is essential if you are choosing a 4K monitor for a realistic and immersive gaming or movie watching experience, but also if your work depends on noticing the smallest details and hues on the screen too. A good contrast ratio starts from 1,000:1 but the higher it is – the better.
This is the time which a pixel takes to change its color. Today, 4K monitors offer very quick response rates of 1 to 4 to 6ms which eliminates the ghosting effect of slow response pixels and improves the overall performance and experience.
FreeSync or G-Sync Variable-Synch technology
This feature is a number one feature for the gamers looking for a gaming 4K monitor. These adaptive sync technologies help improve the performance of the monitor when handling high-resolution content and when playing fast paced games. The syncing between the graphic card GPU and the monitor allows for elimination of the annoying screen tearing and graphic mismatching which can occur when the refresh rates do not match.
G-Sync monitors are compatible with NVIDIA graphic cards, and FreeSync works with AMD so of course, you will need to buy the monitor which matches the G-Sync or FreeSync card you have.
G-synch monitors are the more expensive ones, but many gamers will agree that NVidia cards currently deliver a better 4K gaming performance and experience. Both these technologies will help improve your gameplay by keeping a steady frames per second rate and by eliminating the tearing and stuttering of the screen, as well as lowering the input lag.
Be warned that if you want to indulge in 4K gaming, you will also need quite powerful computer hardware, apart from a 4K monitor. If you are not ready to pay this price, there are some more budget-friendly 4K gaming monitors available on our list as well.
Yes, the design may seem unimportant to some, but just think about how much time you will be spending working or playing in front of this monitor – you don’t want to be distracted or annoyed by its design, right?
In most cases, today’s good 4K monitors have thin bezels and sleek designs. Their stands are adjustable, and they can also be mounted on monitor arms or on the wall as well.
True, monitors are all about the picture quality, but why not get a 4K monitor with built-in speakers and with a headphone jack for an even more enjoyable experience, especially if you are going to use it for watching movies and for playing games?
As you can see from our top 10 choices for the best 4K monitors, the price of these units can vary greatly. We have picked several budget-friendly options, as well as higher-end models, and the exclusive 8K Dell UltraSharp which is expensive but absolutely unique.
The lower the black level – the better the monitor is for watching high definition content and playing games.
What you are going to use the monitor for
This is a key feature to keep in mind if you want to buy a 4K monitor which will suit your needs, without overspending for a more expensive one which has feature which you won’t use, or buying a monitor which lacks the features you expect and need and which doesn’t work for what you bought it for.
So, look for a monitor which has exactly the features you will actually use and benefit from rather than just going for one which seems really cool but is packed with features which are completely useless to you.
Although HDR is already very popular in 4K TVs, in monitors it is not so commonly used yet. Still, we have offered you several 4K monitors with HDR support which brings watching movies and playing games in 4K to a whole new level.
Choosing a 4K TV or a 4K monitor
With the advanced technology of smart 4K TV’s today, gamers and other users can use a TV instead of a monitor. But in general, TVs are made for viewing from a distance, while monitors are for closer viewing, which means that it can be uncomfortable working on a very large 4K TV for a long time, especially if you need to stress on the details in the images or videos being processed. A good quality 4K monitor for professional use is irreplaceable for those who work with images, videos, and graphics.
Warranty and customer support
It I always a good idea to buy a 4K monitor which has a longer warranty, and whose manufacturer provides free technical support. Also, make sure your monitor comes with a dead pixel policy which will allow you to return the monitor if you notice one or more dead pixels.
4K Monitor FAQ’s
What is a 4K monitor?
A 4K monitor is also known as a UHD (ultra-high definition) monitor and is one which supports a resolution of about 4,000 pixels wide (3,840 x 2,160) which has twice as many pixel rows and columns and four times more overall pixels than 1920 x 1080p monitors.
There is a less common UHD resolution of 4096 x 2160 which is also referred to as 4K.
4K monitors are the net logical step after 1080p monitors, and expectations are that in the near future most of the computer programs, applications and games will be compatible with the 4K resolution.
So, sooner or later we will all be using 4K monitors!
What are the benefits of investing in a 4K monitor?
Higher resolutions on smaller devices than TVs are gaining popularity because the users gain much more from the higher pixel per inch rate on smaller displays than on large-sized TVs which are watched from a distance.
Expectations are that in the very near future 4K will be more applicable to PCs than to TVs. To be able to benefit from a 4k TV you need to spend thousands of dollars, while as good 4K monitors can be found at very reasonable prices. They can immediately reach all expectations as soon as they are connected to a PC which supports 4K viewing and gaming.
A higher 4K resolution also means that you will end up with a much bigger working and viewing surface without the loss of pixels-per-inch. Plus, unlike when watching a stream or broadcast on the TV, the PC graphics of a compatible computer and application will automatically increase in resolution, so you will get the full advantage of enjoying a 4K resolution on your monitor. DisplayPort which all 4K monitors have supports 4K at 60 fps.
Also, for people who work in graphics, photo, and video editing and other related professions will find that a good quality 4K monitor is a vital work tool, which not only provides a larger workspace but also perfectly accurate colors, brightness and uniformity without scaling, which is essential in these professions.
One 4K monitor can take the place of multiple monitor settings, which means less deskspace used and higher quality of the display. A single 4K monitor will keep you focused in one place instead of jumping from one monitor to another during work too.
For gamers, the entire gaming experience in 4K will improve and will reach new levels with a good gaming 4K monitor.
Last but not least, even casual users who perform simple tasks on their computers or use them to watch movies and other content will benefit from the extremely rich, crisp clear and immersive display of their 4K monitor.
How to set up a 4K monitor to work with Windows 10?
Even though monitors are plug & play devices, you will need to take a few steps to set up your 4K monitor to work with Windows 10.
Luckily, Windows 10 has the best scaling properties of all Windows versions up to now, so getting your 4K monitor set up to work with this operating system is a breeze and will take only a few minutes of your time.
Here are the easy steps for properly setting up your 4K monitor with your Windows 10 PC.
Connect the monitor to the PC
Use a certified DisplayPort cable to connect your 4Kmonitor to your PC if you want to enjoy the full benefit of a 4K display and experience.
Set the resolution and scaling
Once you connect the 4K monitor to your computer, it won’t change its resolution automatically, so you will need to tweak it manually.
Go to the Setting app and choose the System group setting. Select Display and choose the 4K monitor connected to the PC if you have more than 1 monitors connected. If it is the only one, simply scroll down and open the resolution option. Choose the 3840 x 2160 resolution option in the drop-down menu.
You will notice that as soon as the new resolution is applied, all of the icons and everything on your screen will shrink. You can use the scaling feature in the Display settings to make the text and icons easier to see. Windows 10 will automatically recommend a scaling level, but you can always choose the scaling level which best suits your preferences.
Change the refresh rate
In order to make sure that the refresh rate is set properly after you change the resolution, once again go into the Display settings. Scroll down and select Display adapter properties. Go to the Adapter type and click on the List all modes option. Find the display mode for your specific 4K monitor. If you are not sure about the display mode, check the instructions manual, check the box, or perform a Google search to find the refresh rate which is recommended for your 4K monitor.
Check for display driver updates
Once you apply the changes, you may want to check whether your GPU drivers need updating.
Let’s hope that you have made up your mind about the best ultra-high-definition monitor worth investing in.
All of our top 10 picks are exceptionally good 4K monitors, which we have picked based on all of the above-mentioned features, as well as after performing numerous tests and talking with gamers and professionals who use 4K monitors on a daily basis.
Whichever one you pick, you can be certain that your viewing, gaming or working experience will never be the same with one of these amazing 4K monitors, especially if you are upgrading from a 1080p or lower resolution monitor.
Enjoy the amazingly realistic and vivid colors, the incredible details, the blacker blacks and the brighter brights on your new 4K monitor.
Also, take advantage all of the added workspace, and the amazing 4K gaming and viewing experience which no doubt will keep you glued to the screen for long, and which will make you never want to go back to a monitor with a lower resolution again.
Good luck with your choice, and get ready to enter the future with your brand new 4K UHD monitor which will make everything look much clearer, beautiful and lifelike!
Last update on 2019-01-15 at 21:05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API