So, you want a basketball hoop, but are not sure exactly which type, size or model you need? We have meticulously reviewed a wide variety of basketball hoops of all types and have come up with our top 10 selection, headed by the Goalsetter wall mounted basketball hoop.
Kindly, read on to find out more about our favorite hoops and what to expect from each one of them.
The number one spot for the best basketball hoop for the year goes to the Goalsetter wall-mounted basketball system. The GS basketball system is available in a wide range of sizes: 48 inches, 54 inches, 60 inches, and 72 inches.
The GS48 has a 32 x 48 inch backboard, the GS54 has a 36 x 54 inch backboard, the backboard of the GS60 is 38 x 60 inches, and the largest GS72 has a regulation sized backboard of 42 x 72 inches.
In all variants, the backboard is made of a competition range, 3/8 inch thick tempered glass, which is mounted on a sturdy H-Frame construction made of strong steel tubing with a thickness of 1 and a half inches. The mount is designed and built to provide you with a consistent and very precise ball response.
Thanks to the exclusive height adjustment mechanism, you can adjust the rim height from 6 to regulation 10 feet. This means that both you and your young kids can enjoy some basketball shooting.
The frame is 28 x 21 inches, and it should be mounted at a height of 88 inches from the floor to the bottom of the frame and 116 inches from the floor to its top.
The entire construction of this basketball system is coated with a corrosion resistant paint, covered with a double coating of acrylic enamel which gives it the impressive high gloss finish and premium look.
The backboard and rim extend at 3 feet from the wall when mounted.
You can mount the basketball hoop outdoors or inside, depending on your preferences. It is an excellent option for your garage, gym, backyard, or for schools, camps, and fitness centers.
The system has an HD breakaway rim, hardware for mounting it as well as a nylon net.
Yes, this is a top quality and high-end basketball goal, but once you get it mounted, you will not regret your purchase. Plus, all of its components are made in the USA, and you will receive a lifetime warranty by Goalsetter if you decide to buy it, so you can rest assured that this is a lifelong investment. So, if you want to feel like Michael Jordan, this is the best basketball hoop to get!
The tempered glass backboard provides a clear view and not only looks like the ones you see on professional courts, but also provides an excellent rebound.
The frame is also professional looking. It is made of durable black anodized aluminum which stands on a safe and incredibly sturdy in-ground anchor system which is cured in concrete and has an option of unbolting the basketball hoop and moving it elsewhere when moving homes or when you want to change its positioning.
If you are not sure that you can handle the installation of the basketball system, you can appoint an expert basketball hoop assembly technician in your region to perform the task for you.
The rim itself will flesh under pressure just like a professional one, so it can withstand seriously competitive playing and will keep you safe when dunking. It can easily be adjusted from 7.5 up to 10 feet in height, so people of all ages and heights can enjoy shooting basketballs and playing.
Thanks to the three-point technology used for the construction of the frame, the two arms used for the board and the unique 1-piece pole design, you will have a strong, durable and safe basketball hoop which will stay strong and stable for years and generations to come.
This excellent, pro-style basketball hoop also comes with a limited lifetime warranty, so it is a pretty wise long-term investment to make.
Best budget choice
Since we are aware that not everybody is ready to pay so much money for a professional style basketball hoop, we have added some budget-friendly options to our list as well. The Spalding NBA Slam Jam mini hoop is our top favorite budget-friendly choice.
This mini basketball hoop will cost you just above $20, but it is a lot of fun and is actually very well built.
It has a strong steel frame and a padded polycarbonate board. The backboard is 18 x 10.5 inches, and the steel breakaway rim is 9 inches in diameter.
The mini basketball goal can easily be hung over any door with the assembly tool which is included in the package. Thanks to the padded door hooks, you won’t scuff or otherwise damage the door when mounting it or playing.
Also in the bundle, you will receive a 4-inch mini rubber NBA Spalding basketball to enjoy some indoor basket shooting.
This inexpensive small basketball hoop is actually a ¼ scaled replica of the actual NBA backboards with the same colors and design of the professional NBA basketball hoops, so it is the perfect gift for any basketball fan – young or old.
Here are the rest of our favorite basketball hoops for the year
If you want a pro-style basketball system which you can use, but which can be adjusted so that even toddlers can play, the Pro Dunk Gold Driveway basketball hoop is one of the best options available right now.
- A 60-inch backboard made of ½ inch thick tempered glass
- The backboard, gusset and the pole all come with safety padding which is 1 inch thick and will keep you and your children safe even during competitive play
- A massive 6 x 6 inch strong pole for in-ground mounting and safe play
- The construction is made of stainless steel which is zinc galvanized for extra protection against corrosion
- The sturdy rim has a double spring back mechanism which provides pro-like play quality
- The height of the rim can be adjusted from 10 feet down to the lowest possible 5-foot height
- The height adjustment is done easily via a nifty handle
- The system, backboard, and rim can take all kinds of play including hanging and dunking
- It is sold with a limited lifetime long warranty
- The rim is available in two variants – Slam-it and Classic and in two colors – black and orange
- The rim is 18 inches and is made of 5/8 inch solid steel and with half an inch thick steel braces
- The Slam-it rim has double compression strong springs for dunking and hanging
- The Classic option comes with a 50g durable and weather-resistant net and the Slam-it has a 70g net
- The steel net hooks are welded for added sturdiness and safety
- It is suitable both for indoor and outdoor mounting and use
- The rim is affordable and is sold with a 5-year limited warranty
If you prefer a mobile basketball goal which you can take outside, or indoors whenever your children feel like shooting baskets, this one by Nova Microdermabrasion is one of the best choices available.
- The telescopic design allows for adjusting the height of the hoop from 5.5 to 7 feet, which makes it perfect for children aged from 5 up to 13 years
- A shatterproof polyethylene clear backboard which is 27.9 x 17.7 inches in size
- The 17-inch rim has springs to bounce back into place
- The nylon net is sturdy and weatherproof
- The entire construction is coated with anti-corrosion, and weather resistant paint
- The thick steel rims add to the stability and safety of the construction
- It has a base which should be filled with 66 lbs. of water or sand to keep the basketball hoop safely in place during play
- The dimensions of the base are 17.75 x 29.5 x 5 inches
- The hoop also has heavy duty wheels so you can move it around without emptying the base
- The weight of the unit is 17.7 lbs. (with an empty base)
- Easy assembly – no tools are required
- Very reasonably priced for the value provided
- Made by the original Pop-A-Shot game creators
- Includes 10 different game options and six different audio settings
- The 10 games include a classic 1-on-1, as well as longer dual competitions, skill challenges for one or for two players and other fun-filled games
- The audio options include an announcer, crowd noises, basket swishing, and 3 music selections
- Very durable construction – from thick powder coated steel tubes
- Very precise infrared sensors which will keep an accurate score for you
- You can adjust the height of the arcade game depending on the height of the ceiling and that of the players
- The game is 46 inches wide and 82 up to 94 inches high
- It is portable and easy to move via the heavy duty wheels
- You can fold it down to a depth of just 37 inches (form a total of 88 inches) for easy storage and portability
- A large LED scoreboard which will display the results with a 98% precision rate
- You can plug in external speakers for an added audio effect and even more excitement
- Easy control of the games via the press buttons on the front bar of the game
- There is a quick access cheat sheet attached to the control panel which displays all games and audio options
- A regulation size 72-inch ½ inch thick tempered glass pro-style backboard
- A solid 8 x 6 inch pole for in-ground mounting
- The stable construction can withstand dunking and hanging – which too is covered by the limited lifetime warranty
- The system comes with a full padding set for the pole, the gusset and the backboard for added safety even during highly intensive play
- The height of the basketball hoop can be adjusted from 5.5 feet up to feet via a handle so both small children and adults can use it
- Includes a special rust armor package and an extended corrosion warranty
- Limited lifetime warranty will let you rest assured that your money is well spent
- The hoop has an adjustable height of 13 inches up or down when mounted
- A 24 x 16 inch shatter resistant acrylic backboard
- A 9-inch breakaway rim
- The frame is made of 16 gauge steel which is powder coated for added durability and better appearance
- Easy to mount via two studs located 16 inches apart
- Comes with a 5-inch RAMgoal basketball
- A very durable construction which will last for years and will withstand numerous dunks
- Made in the USA, and accompanied by excellent customer care service
- Available in two versions – with 54 or 60 inch backboards
- The backboard is made of safe and sturdy tempered glass
- The backboard is fused to a strong hardened steel frame for added robustness
- A heavy-duty, all-weather nylon net which is hooked via a continuous hook wire
- A double compression system of the rim allows for safe slamming and dunking
- The height of the hoop is adjustable from 75 up to 10 feet via the unique crank system
- The 4-inch square pole is made of powder coated thick steel with a rust and weather resistant finish
- There is a 28.5 inch offset from the backboard to the pole
- You can level the hoop precisely thanks to the special bolt-down anchoring system
- The basketball system can be removed and moved to a new location if you decide to move away and take it with you
- It is sold with a 5-year limited warranty
Features to look for when shopping for a basketball hoop
Although it may seem like a pretty straightforward task, shopping for a basketball hoop can turn into quite a frustrating experience once you start realizing just how many types, brands, sizes, and models there are available.
This is why we have compiled the several features which are key when choosing a basketball hoop for you.
The basketball hoop type
Although there are various basketball hoops available on the market, there are three main common types to look out for. Here they are as well as their pros and cons.
Portable basketball hoops
These are possibly the most popular type of basketball hoops because they require no mounting and installing and can be moved from one area to another and are held straight and stable by a base which is usually filled with water or sand. The Nova Microdermabrasion portable hoop is our top pick for the best portable basketball hoop. This type is usually cheaper, but it is less stable than the types which are securely mounted to the wall or in the ground.
In-ground basketball hoops
These are much more stable than the portable ones because they have support poles which are actually placed in concrete and in the ground. These are sturdier and more expensive options, and of course are less portable than them. We have picked several in-ground hoops in our top 10 list including the Goalrilla FT Series, the Pro Dunk Gold and the Pro Dunk Platinum and the Lifetime basketball hoops, which are all excellent when it comes to quality and all can be dis-mounted in case you decide to move house and want to take the hoop with you.
Wall-mounted basketball hoops
These are relatively stable hoops which have support brackets and are attached to a wall, a garage or driveway. They do not take up space on the ground, as they have no footprint, which is a plus if you want to mount your hoop somewhere where you need to pass with your car.
We have picked the Goalsetter wall mounted basketball hoop as our top pick, as well as several other wall-mounted or over-the-door basketball hoops for you. Some of these like the Spalding NBA Slam Jam and the RAMgoal are mini hoops and are perfect for your kid’s room.
Of course, the actual rim is essential for every basketball goal, so you should pay attention to the type of rim you want. Many of the rims in our list have breakaway mechanisms which allow for the release of tension on the basketball hoop during dunking or hanging, which eliminates the danger of breaking the backboard or injuring oneself during play.
The simpler basketball hoops have standard rims with no springs. The Lifetime Basketball Rim from our list comes in the two options – with springs and without.
The spring breakaways can be either exposed or enclosed. The exposed ones are prone to rust and wear over time. The enclosed type is the more expensive one because it is more durable and is usually made of higher quality materials.
The backboard type
The three most common materials used for the backboards of basketball hoops are tempered glass, acrylic, and polycarbonate.
The polycarbonate ones are the cheapest of them all. Polycarbonate is rigid and sturdy plastic, which can withstand a lot of wear and tear, but doesn’t provide the satisfactory performance of the higher-end backboards.
The acrylic backboards are better than the polycarbonate ones and are commonly found in the mid-range section of basketball hoops. They are more durable and provide a better bounce than the polycarbonate ones.
Tempered glass backboards are the best type which is used in gyms and pro courts all over the country. Tempered glass is also the most expensive of the materials used for backboards, but it offers the best response and performance. This type of backboard is for serious players and people who want to improve their play skills drastically. The problem with tempered glass is that it can shatter much easier than the other types. The good news is that it won’t cut you because it is like the safety glass used for windshields.
The backboard size and shape
The most common shape for the backboard is the square one, but you can find fan-shaped backboards as well. The square shape provides more space and a bigger area where you can hit the ball.
The size of the backboard can vary – from a mini size up to a regulation size of 72 inches. Of course, the larger the backboard, the more expensive it will be because of the more material necessary for its making.
Make sure you check whether the backboard is sold with safety padding if you want to stay on the safe side and prevent injuries during play.
The design of the support pole
If you want an in-ground or standing portable basketball hoop, keep in mind that he support poles can provide one-piece, two-piece or three-piece support. As their names suggest one uses a single support pole, the other has two pieces and the latter is made of three separate pieces.
Contrary to what you may think, the fewer pieces a basketball goal support pole has – the more stable it will be. Usually, only the more expensive, the higher end in-ground basketball hoops like the Pro Dunk in-ground basketball systems tend to have one piece pole support. The two-piece support is common for portable hoops, and three-piece support is used in the least expensive portable ones.
The backboard support
The more expensive basketball hoops have a thicker support pole with added bracing which improves the stability of the backboard when shooting the ball. The less expensive ones usually just have braces which keep the hoop positioned, which do not provide a high performance especially when you are shooting from either the left or the right side of the hoop.
Nearly all modern basketball hoops offer some type of height adjustment. Commonly, this is done with a handle or cranks. The least expensive ones use simple telescopic systems for adjusting the height.
The higher end ones have handles. Hoops like the Pro Dunk Gold can be lowered down to 5 feet which is perfect for very young kids. After the kids are done, you can raise the hoop up to regulation height of 10 feet and enjoy a game with friends as well.
We recommend that you buy a hoop which can be adjusted from about 6-7 feet up to 10.
Rust and corrosion protection
If you are going to use your basketball hoop outdoors, it is essential to pick one made of sturdy, corrosion-proof and weatherproof materials such as coated steel. Also, pick structures which are made of one piece rather than welded ones, because these are more durable and less prone to breaking along the seams.
Brand, price, and warranty
If you are planning on buying a higher end basketball goal, make sure that you choose one made by a reputable manufacturer. Also, check the warranty given by them. Many of our premium quality picks come with lifetime warranties, which will let you have peace of mind once you spend your hard earned money on one of them.
We truly hope that we have been helpful and that you have managed to find the perfect basketball hoop among the ones we have selected for you.
Having a basketball hoop will allow you and your family to stay active, will keep the kids away from the screens and will also ensure you have a fun pastime when you are at home or have guests in the house.
So, we wish you the best of luck with your purchase, and make Shaq proud with your newly learned basketball skills!
Last update on 2020-08-14 at 00:13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API