Do you suffer from a sore back from sitting hunched on a desk all day long? Or maybe you have a back injury or inflammation which causes you persistent pain?
If the doctor doesn’t recommend a more serious treatment for your condition, good quality back brace like the Old Bones Therapy brace with ice or heat therapy can be the best non-invasive and inexpensive way to help you relieve the pain and help the back heal faster.
We have picked our top favorite back braces for 2020 which will help you deal with various back problems, keep you protected from injury, provide comfort, improve your posture and relieve the pain from your back.
Read on to learn more about the back pain braces which we recommend for 2020 and why you might benefit from using one or more of them.
Our top favorite back brace for 2020 is made by Old Bones Therapy. It has an innovative design that will allow you to use either heat or ice therapy without having to hold an ice pack or a hot water bottle against your back, and without the ice melting on your skin, or missing the exact source of the pain.
The brace is ergonomic and works great both for men and for women. The design is approved by professional chiropractors and is made of top quality materials that provide superb comfort, breathability, and insulation.
The 3mm neoprene material is perforated for moisture-wicking and breathability, so you won’t get all sweaty no matter how long you wear the brace.
The nifty internal pocket is made for holding the hot or cold gel packs for quicker and more efficient back pain relief, and the neoprene will help keep the hot pack warm for longer, as well as the ice pack cold for as long as possible.
The brace is sold with an ice gel pack and a hot gel pack, so you can try out which one works better for you. The heat pad can easily be heated up in a microwave, and the ice gel pack needs to be frozen in the freezer before you insert it in the pocket of the brace for the therapy of your choice.
This brace by Old Bones Therapy is the perfect choice for those of suffering from scoliosis, arthritis, sciatica, muscle weakness, lower back pain or have a degenerative disc disease or a herniated disc.
It is adjustable thanks to the two elastic straps, and once you put it on it will stay in place and keep its form thanks to the non-slip silicone lining and the 4 flexible stays inserted for added stability.
You can wear it at all times, even during workouts or right after that, as well as when you are doing gardening, handling heavy loads, or while you are relaxing at home.
The brace is available in three different sizes: S/M (27-34 inches), L/XL (34-43 inches), and XXL (43-54 inches).
The brace will help reduce the recovery time from a back injury, inflammation, or surgery. It will also help reduce any swelling in the area, improve the blood circulation, and help increase the stability of your core.
Last but not least, this item is an excellent element to add to your home first aid kit, as it can save you from serious injury in case of an accident at home.
The brace is sold with a 30-day replacement if you get the wrong size, and money-back guarantees in case you are not happy with it.
So, no matter whether you need heat or ice therapy, this back brace by Old Bones Therapy has your back!
Our second favorite back brace for 2020 is suitable for people suffering from muscle spasms, strains or sprains in the lower back, and those who have experience with back pain and want to prevent it from reoccurring.
The Mueller Lumbar Support brace is available in two sizes – regular (waist up to 50 inches) and large (50-70 inches) and has double elastic tension straps which are adjustable.
Thanks to the flexible steel supports and the molded plastic inserts in the brace, it will provide you with added stability.
The belt is made of 40% polyester, 33% nylon, and 27% rubber, and is incredibly comfortable thanks to its adjustable fit. This means that you can wear it all of the time while resting or doing chores at home, or even when you are out.
The brace provides superb lower lumbar support and is the perfect accessory to have you have suffered from previous back problems or injuries, or if you often lift heavy objects or do strenuous work.
The flexible elastic and the strong build of the brace will ensure that you will be able to wear it for a long time, without it getting deformed or stretched out.
The added lumbar pad cushion helps soften the compression of the brace against the back. If you don’t find it comfortable enough you can remove the cushion.
It is designed and made to tackle a wide range of back health problems, including arthritis, lumbar orthosis, osteoarthritis or weakness of the muscles.
It is a versatile back brace which will help people with different spinal problems and pains, and can also be worn as a preventive measure against strains and sprains while you are working as it will help reduce the load on the intervertebral I disc. The brace is also perfect for those of you looking for better posture control, especially if you spend hours sitting on a desk or standing up.
Thanks to the adjustability of this Mueller brace, you will be able to tweak it until it feels comfortable on you.
Overall, we like the adaptability, and the overall support and comfort which the Mueller Lumbar support brace offers, as well as the fact that it is reasonably priced!
The best budget-friendly option for a back brace in 2020 is no doubt the BraceUP stabilizing and adjustable lower back support.
It costs less than $20 but will provide you with very comfortable lumbar support without being too restrictive and allowing you to walk, move and proceed with your everyday activities and work.
Thanks to its curved design, it will not slip or get bunched up while you are wearing it. It has eight stays which provide the support which both you and your back need.
The mesh panel on the brace is breathable, so you won’t get all sweaty and hot while you are wearing the BraceUP even in the summer. In fact, you can wear it during workouts or strenuous work without feeling uncomfortable and warm.
The brace is very lightweight and fits the contours of your back, so it will promote a proper posture and will prevent strains in the area during workouts or your everyday errands.
It is a multi-purpose brace that you can wear day after day without feeling uncomfortable compression or squeezing. It will barely show underneath your clothing, so you can actually wear it when you go out or to work. Thanks to the soft fabric, your skin won’t get irritated or feel scratchy even after wearing the back brace all day long.
The back support brace is adjustable thanks to the dual anti-slip straps with strong Velcro which will last longer and will keep the straps right where you want them to be at all times.
The BraceUP is available in three different sizes S/M (28-35 inches), L/XL (35-43 inches), and XXL (43-53 inches), so you can pick the one which will provide the perfect comfortable fit no matter what body type you have.
This brace is not only very inexpensive but is also sold with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can easily return it if you are not happy with the results.
Its design is versatile and can help reduce and eliminate the pain of preexisting lower back problems, improve your posture, and help lower the risk of straining your back during vigorous activities and while lifting heavy loads.
Overall, the BraceUp is the perfect multifunctional and comfortable back brace to have, and it is available at an amazingly low price!
Our remaining top picks for the best back braces for 2020
The Premium Quality CM-102M back brace by ComfyMed is one of the best ways to relieve lower back pain without medications available in 2020. It is versatile, and suitable for treating and prevention of various health problems and painful conditions.
- Made to endure wear and tear
- Has a removable soft lumbar pad for added comfort
- The dual straps are flexible and adjustable to fit the shape of your back perfectly
- The breathable mesh panels will keep your back comfortable, dry and sweat free
- Made of soft and comfortable material which is gentle on the skin and can safely be machine washed
- The nifty easy grip handles with D-rings will make putting it on and adjusting the brace even easier which is essential if you are in pain and have restricted movement of the body
- Suitable for both men and women
- Available in regular (26-37 inches at the navel) and large (38-50 inches at the navel)
- Supports the back without restricting your movement
- Stays for added lumbar support
- Will not slip or get all bunched up no matter what you are doing
- Suitable for pain relief for scoliosis, sciatica, nerve injuries, degenerative disc disease, loose ligaments, osteoporosis, sprains, strains, muscle spasms and more
- Can be worn while doing household chores, enjoying outdoor activities, strength training, workouts, heavy lifting, working on a desk, and whenever you need back support
- Sold with a 12-month warranty
If you don’t want to break the bank for a good quality back pain and support brace, you should try out the Vive Lower back brace which is a very durable and efficient therapeutical brace suitable for a number of different lower back conditions and for pain relief.
- Designed to provide targeted support for your lower back
- Relieves the pain from slipped or herniated discs, sciatica, scoliosis, degenerative disc disease, injuries and spasms in the muscles
- It can also be worn to reduce the risk of further injury
- The integrated upright stays provide support without restricting your movements
- The brace can be customized thanks to the removable lumbar support padding and the adjustable fasteners
- Designed to deliver gentle heating and compression therapy
- It can fit men and women with waist sizes from 32 to 40 inches
- The neoprene used for the brace is lightweight, durable and breathable, so it will keep you comfortable and sweat free at all times
- It is thin enough to be worn all day even when you are out
- It is sold with a 100% money-back guarantee and at a very reasonable price
The Aspen Quikdraw PRO medical grade back brace has been made based on over 25 years of clinical research of the spinal and various back-related problems, so it is definitely a brace that you should opt for if you are suffering from mild to serious back pain.
- The brace is made by one of the leaders in the medical products industry – Aspen
- It is available in X-small, small, medium, large, X-large and XX-large sizes for bellybutton circumferences from 21 up to 57 inches
- It is a medical grade product
- You get to pick between a black or white option
- The non-elastic design of the brace ensures better stability of the trunk and provides more effective pain relief
- Made of light, breathable and durable fabrics which are easy on the skin and suitable for everyday use
- The low profile of the brace will allow you to wear it under your clothing without being noticed
- The SlikTrak patented tightening system includes strong Velcro fastening of the two pull tabs for adjustable compression levels both at the top and bottom of the brace independently
- It is easy to put on and adjust even if you have limited dexterity or range of motion
- Helps reduce lower back pain, and keeps the tendons, muscles, and ligaments in place for faster healing and pain relief
- Can be used for back support during work or when handling heavy equipment or loads
- Your movements won’t be restricted by the brace
- It can be washed safely
If your back pain is restricting your movements and is putting your entire life and all of your activities on hold, the AidBrace back support belt could help you regain your life back again.
- The support belt helps relieve the pain from sciatica, scoliosis, herniated disc or degenerative disc disease
- The adjustable and removable lumbar pad will help you regain and maintain a proper posture
- The integrated stays provide stable support to the lower back
- The curved sides reduce the compression on the abdominal and side areas for added overall comfort
- It has adjustable side straps which can easily be adjusted to fit you perfectly and are held securely by three bands of strong Velcro
- The breathable mesh will keep your back sweat free, cool and comfortable even in the summer or during vigorous activities
- It will help prevent re-injuries or strains when lifting heavy objects or working
- It is available in S/M belly size of 26-36 inches, L/XL belly size of 37-47 inches, and 2XL/3XL belly size of 48-58 inches
- The brace is washable
- It is easy to put on or take off
This superb Lumbar Support Belt by Sparthos is sold with a useful Back Pain Guide and is made of premium breathable materials for added comfort during use.
– It is available in small, medium and large size options
– The small size is suitable for people with 26-40 inch waists
– The medium is for 40-60 inch waists
– The large one will fit people who have 60-72 inch waists
– The belt is designed to provide instant relief from back pain caused by sciatica, herniated discs, sore muscles or others
– It is not too restrictive, so you can wear it while walking, stretching, sitting or bending over
– It is made of premium quality elastic mesh and has durable Velcro adjustment straps
– It has an adjustable and removable lumbar vertical support pad for added compression
– There are also firm plastic insert stays for added stability and to prevent rolling of the belt
– It is made of comfortable, breathable fabrics, so you won’t end up sweaty and chaffed even after wearing it all day long
– It has a low profile so you can wear it discreetly under your clothing
– It is easy to hand wash and keep clean
The Bauerfeind SacroLoc is an innovative, top-quality strap which is not only highly effective in relieving pain and pressure in the sacroiliac joints of the spine, but also looks great as well!
- Helps relieve the pressure and stabilize the sacroiliac joints where they connect to the pelvis
- Provides support and relieves the pain for sitting or standing for long
- It has special viscoelastic cushion pads which will massage the specific points around the sacroiliac joints for better circulation and pain relief
- The brace comes in 7 different sizes starting from 27 ½ inches of the pelvic circumference up to 55 inches around the pelvis
- Made of sturdy top quality non-elastic materials which are meant to last
- The strap will keep the spine and the sacroiliac joints immobilized to protect them for re-injury
- The lining is breathable and moisture wicking
- The low profile of the band will allow you to wear it underneath your clothes without too much added bulk
- The adjustable straps will allow you to adjust the compression in accordance with your needs
- It is machine washable
The Neotech Care back brace is the perfect option for both people seeking pain relief for preexisting back pain as well as those who want to do everything to prevent such troubles in the future by getting reliable back support.
- The brace is designed for optimal lumbar support and provides wider than normal back protection
- The compression of the brace is adjustable via the crisscrossed elastic straps
- The side panels are breathable for added comfort
- The wide belt provides warmth for improved circulation and pain relief
- Excellent for maintaining proper posture, protection of the back during lifting and work and for pain relief
- Helps with problems such as degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, sciatica and slipped disc
- Very well made for longer durability
- Reduces the risky twisting motions during work or lifting
- Available in 6 sizes from 26 inches up to 57 inches at the belly
- Comes with a 100% money back guarantee
Everything you need to know about back braces
Since the spine is the basis of the musculoskeletal system, it is essential to keep it healthy and properly aligned, in order to prevent painful back conditions and other health problems.
About 80% of the people will suffer from some form of back pain in their lifetimes, according to studies. For many, the pain will get resolved quickly, but for the unfortunate others the pain may remain constant and become a chronic condition which will no doubt effect all other aspects of their lives.
If you have mild to moderate back pain, you can benefit from the use of the proper back brace which will help you recover and can prevent future injuries or flare-ups.
A well designed and made back brace can help ease the pain in the back and will support both the spine and the lumbar muscles.
It is also useful for helping reduce the risk of lower back problems and overloading of the spine when working out, lifting heavy objects, and doing strenuous work or other activities.
A good brace will promote a proper posture even when you are sitting, which will not only make you look better but will lower the risk of back strains, soreness, and fatigue which can occur after sitting or standing in an improper and uncomfortable position.
Even if your back feels perfectly alright, a back brace will provide additional comfort and support and will help you relax and feel better.
Types of back braces
There are many types of back braces to choose from. Here are the main types and what uses they are recommended for.
Rigid back braces
These are non-flexible and non-elastic braces that provide added support and stability to the spine and back. This type of brace is recommended for those people with stability issues due to back surgery or injury. It is also an excellent option for people who want to improve and re-train their posture muscles. The problem with rigid back braces is that they are quite heavier and bulkier than the flexible ones.
Corset type back braces
These braces provide added stability to the middle and lower back and help with the posture. They are suitable for people with a spinal fusion because they will limit any dangerous movements and will help with the overall posture.
These braces are wrapped around the pelvis and help stabilize the sacroiliac joints where the sacrum meets the pelvis and will relieve the pain and provide help with the posture.
Occupational back braces
These back braces are used by people who perform strenuous activities and do heavy weightlifting, in order to limit dangerous twisting and prevent back injuries due to bad posture or poor technique.
Why would you need back braces for lower back pain?
The back brace will help support a healing or ailing spine, and will also reduce the risk of further injury. The different types of braces are suitable for relieving different conditions. Some can reach the middle of the hip area, and others can reach up to the shoulders for spinal support and stabilization. The back pain brace is an inexpensive and non-invasive way to deal with a number of mild to medium back pains and problems.
You may need a back brace in one or more of the following cases:
- Back trauma or injury
- Overuse and stress of the spine
- Poor posture
- Various degenerative diseases including arthritis, disc herniation, osteoporosis and others
- Pregnancy and post pregnancy back pain
- If you lift heavy objects and do other strenuous work and activities
The benefits of using a back pain brace
The back brace can be very useful for a number of conditions and back pain relief, protection and comfort.
Here are some of the main benefits of using a back brace:
- It will improve your posture and the spinal alignment
- It is very easy to use and you can put it on and adjust it by yourself at home
- Affordability – back braces are much less expensive than pricey medical procedures and medications
- The brace will limit the motion which can help assist the recovery of strains, surgery or injuries and prevent re-injuries due to wrong movements
- Alleviates back pain
- Reduces the stress on the joints and muscles of the back
- Makes movements pain free and more comfortable
- It can help prevent injuries and strain when weight lifting or doing a labor-intensive task
- Helps with progressive conditions such as scoliosis
- Reduces the pain after pregnancy
- Helps with conditions such as sciatica, lumbar disc bulge, facet joint sprain, postural syndrome, osteoporosis, spinal degeneration, spondylolisthesis
Features to look for when buying a back brace
Since there are so many types of back braces, it can be quite difficult to pick out the best one for your specific needs. Here are some of the main aspects to take into consideration when you are shopping for the best back brace.
Look at the materials used for the back brace. They should be durable and yet comfortable so that they don’t scratch or otherwise irritate your skin.
Most of our top picks are made of breathable materials or have breathable parts that will help keep your back cool and dry even when you are sweating.
Keep in mind that the better the materials, the more time your brace will last.
Back braces should be able to endure a lot of wear and tear, especially if you are planning on using them frequently. This is why you should invest in a durable brace. You should be especially careful when choosing a brace that has elastic materials as they can stretch over time if they are not of high quality. Also, watch for the fastening method, because if the Velcro is not strong enough, the brace can become unusable over time.
We have tried to pick the most durable braces for you in our top 10 best list.
Quality of the construction
Look for details like solid and high-quality stitching when picking a back brace, this is usually a sign that it is more durable and will last longer.
Easy to clean
You will need to ensure that your back brace is clean, especially if you are planning on wearing it directly on top of your skin. Most of our top picks can safely be washed by hand, and others can withstand being machine washed and dried.
As you have probably noticed, all of our top picks have hard inserts that provide additional support and keep the brace in a proper position. The inserts can be made of hard plastic, steel or other metal, as well as from other durable hard materials.
Even if you get a perfect size, it is important that the brace can be adjusted to properly fit your body contour, in order to be effective. So, look for a back brace that can easily be adjusted via straps, elastic elements, and others. All of the braces we have chosen are very easy to put on and to adjust, so you won’t have a problem with the adjustability if you pick one of them.
Many braces have padding for added comfort. Some of our top picks have removable lumbar pads or other cushioning to alleviate the compression and to provide better support while being more comfortable to wear.
Carefully read the instructions of the manufacturer before picking the proper size for your back brace. Although some of our top picks have sizes that are measured at the waist, in most other cases, the size of the brace is actually the circumference around your belly area, rather than your waist, and thus the size doesn’t correspond to your normal pant size.
In some cases, like with the SacroLoc by Bauerfeind, the size is actually around the pelvis and not the belly area.
Always double-check the size and what exactly you are supposed to measure before ordering a brace, even though many manufacturers offer free returns and replacements in case you get the wrong size.
Other tips for relieving back pain at home
No matter whether you pulled a muscle during an awkward movement or suffer from a degenerative condition that causes back pain, the lower back brace can be a very effective way to manage the back pain and to help injuries heal.
But there are other steps which you can take in order to deal with the back pain at home as well.
Chill the area and then heat it if you want
In case of an injury or inflammation, try to put ice on the spot within the first 24-48 hours. The cold will help relieve inflammation. After the first 48 hours, you can try applying heat to the painful spot which will provide some comfort and reduce the pain.
Our top choice for the best back brace for 2020 by Old Bones Therapy has a special pocket where you can insert the ice or hot gel pack for added comfort and avoid having to hold on to it or missing the exact spot which needs to be treated.
Even though you may loathe the thought of moving with a painful back, it is essential that you keep moving in moderation to prevent your spine from becoming immobilized and protect your muscles from atrophy. Of course, don’t overdo it, and abstain from moving if the back pain is serious and is due to a condition that requires that you remain immobile.
By working the muscles on your back, your core, pelvis, and hips, you will be able to provide more support to the spine and the lower back. Well-developed muscles help keep the spine aligned and keep your posture straight.
Do some stretching
Even though your back hurts, don’t just sit or lay there. Try to get up every 20 minutes or so, and get a good stretch of your back, neck, shoulders, and legs. Most people who work for long hours on desks suffer from improper posture which can cause mild to severe back pain. You can help maintain a good posture even when you are sitting with the help of a suitable back brace.
Make your workspace ergonomic
If you work on a desk, make sure you align the screen of your computer or laptop at the height of your eyes and use a laptop stand or other device to make the keyboard and access to your mouse comfortable. This is essential for avoiding spending hours hunched forward. The desk chair should also provide proper support for your lower back and should also allow your feet to stand firmly on the floor.
Take notice of your posture
When you slump forward, you make it harder on your spine and back to support your body weight. You need to be especially careful when you lift heavy objects. Never bend over at the waist. You should bend from the knees and straighten from them instead if you want to stay away from back injuries and pain.
Avoid high heels
High heels cause an unstable posture which will increase the pressure on the spine and lower back. So, try wearing low heels if you want a pain-free back.
If you haven’t kicked the habit yet, now is the perfect time to do so. Smoking can increase the risk of osteoporosis and other back and bone problems. Osteoporosis can lead to serious compression fractures of the spine. So, quit smoking today!
Lose those extra pounds
Losing any extra pounds and maintaining a healthy weight will help reduce the stress on your spine and the risk of damage, injuries, and pain.
Try non-prescription drugs
You can take over-the-counter medicine if you suffer from back inflammation. Drugs like aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen (Panadol, Tylenol, or Actamin), and naproxen sodium can help relieve the pain.
If you have allergies, have an underlying chronic disease, or take other medication, make sure you speak with your doctor about which drugs are safe for you and which ones to avoid.
Don’t ignore strong and persistent back pain
You should never ignore severe or persistent back pain and should call your doctor in case the back pain remains strong even when you are lying down or resting if you are experiencing trouble walking or using your limbs, or in case you lose control over your bladder or bowels while experiencing the back pain.
Hopefully, our reviews and tips for finding the best back brace for 2020 have helped you make up your mind.
Whichever type or model you choose, always make sure you read the instructions and recommendations for its use, and if possible ask your doctor whether it is suitable for you to wear a brace of this type if you have an underlying health condition.
We hope that you will find the pain relief, comfort, support, and protection you need with one these excellent back braces!
Last update on 2020-07-05 at 22:13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API