If you are searching for premium cookware, you came to the right place. I’ll resolve a dilemma Anolon vs. Calphalon for you!
In my personal experience, you should try and avoid seemingly good deals when it comes to your cookware. Believe me; I have been there!
When I got married, I needed to buy everything for my kitchen and my house in general. For obvious reasons I did not want to spend too much on a single thing, and I was thus always in search of a good deal.
I bought my cookware pretty cheap, and I was over the moon with the deal I’ve got. Unfortunately, I have landed from that moon very soon!
My inexpensive pots turned out to be of poor quality. I guess I had that coming.. But, instead of learning from my mistakes I did it again. The scenario was pretty much the same as the first time.So here I am, third time’s the charm they say! I agree, if you do not learn from two mistakes, you never will.
Therefore I am now determined to invest in reputable, high-quality cookware that is going to last me at least a decade and make me a better cook at the same time! I hope I’ll be rubbing my hands this time around.
Don’t think for a moment that I have left anything to chance this time around. I have done thorough research, and the decision came down to two brands: Anolon and Calphalon!
So, the battle begins: Anolon vs. Calphalon – who will win?
Why Anolon and Calphalon?
If there is something worse than wasting your money on something cheap, it is buying something really expensive and realizing that it was not worth it at all. I would like to avoid that if possible and thus I have made sure that I find the best brands of cookware out there.
I have spent hours researching and reading numerous opinions, consulted all my friends (and my mum of course) and narrowed the choice down to two: Anolon and Calphalon. Now I will try to compare the two in as much detail as possible so both you and I can decide what is best for us and our households.
There is one thing the Anolon and Calphalon cookware have in common: their hard anodized cooking surfaces. According to many, this feature is exactly the thing that makes these two brands so durable and well-performing.
1. What is an anodized cooking surface?
- It is an exceptionally hard cooking surface that has multiple non-stick layers. It is also non-toxic and non-reactive.
- Until recently, Teflon was considered to be the best you can buy when it comes to non-stick surface cookware. However, it was discovered that Teflon leaches toxic Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and thus contaminates your food and endangers your health. Therefore, the hard anodized coating was invented and is now widely used in the production of non-stick pots and pans.
Read more about this topic in the New York Times article New Cooking Surface: Light Anodized Aluminum.
2. What makes the hard anodized cooking surface so good?
- It is highly resistant to scratches and durable
- It can tolerate high heat
- It is an ultimate non-stick surface
- It does not absorb or alter the smell or aroma of the food you cook.
3. So, who was the first to come up with this great feature?
- The Calphalon brand was a pioneer when it came to this new material for cookware. They made the first hard anodized cookware in 1968. Anolon did it 21 years later in 1989. But hey, better late than never!
If you want to find the best hard anodized cookware, read this!
Anolon vs. Calphalon: Which Option is Best?
There is no doubt that Anolon and Calphalon are both premium cookware and you will not regret investing in either of the two. However, there are slight differences that can win you over, so let us compare the Anolon and Calphalon and see what those differences are.
- Both Anolon and Calphalon are at a medium-high end pricing, but there is no doubt that you get value for money. Anolon prices tend to be a bit higher when I compare similar cookware though. Both brands are a good investment so no winner yet!
- Both Anolon and Calphalon cookware feature the timeless, sleek and stylish look. There are different colors to choose from no matter which option you go for so that you can compliment your kitchen design or simply choose your favorite color.
- The design is practical as well, but some Anolon pans feature handles that are coated with silicone which is not suitable for the oven usage. As long as you stick to stainless steel handles you can go for either brand, but if you prefer silicone ones and want to be sure they are oven-safe – better opt for Calphalon.
3. Heat Resistance
- Anolon cookware can tolerate heat up to 400В°F (200В°C), while Calphalon is a bit more resistant and can handle temperatures of up to 450В°F (230В°C). Most of the time, the temperatures required to cook your dish will be far below this maximum, but if you know you’ll need greater temperature tolerance, better opt for Calphalon.
- The surface is non-stick no matter which brand you choose, and therefore cleaning should not be an issue. However, both Calphalon and Anolon have products that are not dishwasher safe, and if you prefer to wash your dishes in a dishwasher make sure you will be able to do it.
- The thing is that most cookware made from anodized aluminum will not be dishwasher safe but rather require to be washed by hand. Once again Calphalon is in a bit of advantage over Anolon, as it has more dishwasher safe elements to offer.
- I personally hate washing dishes. My hands are very sensitive, and I avoid chemicals. However, there is no doubt that handwashing extends the life of the cookware no matter what it is made of.
- I really cannot make out the difference – both sets are excellent in every aspect! Heat transfer is exceptional, and the non-stick properties are superior to any cookware I have ever tried. No matter how sticky the food you cook is – everything comes off very easily!
- Anolon cookware is heavy and robust; you can even use metal kitchen tools which is not the case with Calphalon as its surface has a tendency to chip if you use metal cooking utensils. Therefore if you prefer to use metal utensils, it is better to opt for Anolon and avoid potential damage.
Conclusion: Is there a winner?
I regret to say that I am not ready to openly declare a winner yet. I lack long-term personal experience with both brands that would make such a declaration objective and valid.
Instead, I will offer my honest opinion – both Anolon and Calphalon are sure to please even the most demanding cooks, especially if they are fans of hard anodized cookware.
You will have to set apart a bit more money initially, but I have talked to people who have used the Anolon and Calphalon cookware sets for more than a decade and that makes me confident that the investment is well worth it.
I will not tell you which set I bought, as I do not want to influence your decision in any way. It is best for you to concentrate on your needs, preferences and cooking style and reach your own decision. Either way, you cannot go wrong! You are sure to get premium quality cookware that will last you for many years to come.
So, who is the winner? Whether you choose Anolon or Calphalon, the winner is you! 🙂