If you have hay fever, allergies or asthma, you are probably very well aware of the significance of having fresh and clean air at home. And even if you are perfectly healthy, it always helps getting to breathe clean air at all times, right?
Air purifiers are ingenious devices which help clean out the ambient air from pollutants, allergens, germs, and other harmful debris and microorganisms. Having an air purifier is essential if you live in a heavily polluted urban area, or if somebody in your household suffers from allergies, asthma or other respiratory problems.
Some common pollutants which can be found in the air that you breathe at home include different fungi spores, molds, viruses, bacteria, pollen, volatile organic compounds, dust, smoke, chemical fumes, and pet dander.
Thankfully, a good air purifier can remove some or all of these pollutants from the air you breathe at home via different cleaning and filtering systems and blows back the purified, fresh air inside.
We have tested and carefully reviewed a wide variety of air purifiers, to make your life easier and to help you pick the most suitable one for you.
Our tests and overall assessment were made based on a number of different features of these air purifiers, including: their efficiency, the types of filtering they use, the capacity, features such as air quality sensors or light sensors, timer options, types of controls, the price of the unit and the price of the replacement filters, the warranties, and a number of other important details which formed our final opinion.
So, here are our top 10 picks for the best air purifiers for 2018. To see all their features, pros and cons, please scroll down to the brief overview of each of these units.
If you want a powerful and yet quiet and compact, great looking air purifier, we can strongly recommend the Conway Mighty Air Purifier. It has multiple filters and features which can efficiently deal with even heavily polluted air.
- It uses four levels of filtration – a pre-filter for the large particles, an activated carbon filter for the odors, gases, smoke, and other air pollutants, a HEPA filter capable of capturing 99.98% of the tiniest particles and an ionizing system for freshening the air
- Three-speed settings
- Suitable for heavily polluted air
- A particle sensor technology will check the quality of the air in the room, and will automatically switch into high power if too much pollution is detected after the air reaches healthy levels, the fans will shut off for energy saving
- The ozone released from the ionizing system is safe and certified by CARB
- Suitable for people with all kinds of respiratory problems and sensitivities
- It works best in areas of 350 square feet
- A filter replacement indicator
- A useful timer
- Very attractive design
- Reasonably priced unit and replacement filters
- The indicator light on the unit can be a bit bright if you keep the purifier in your bedroom and want complete darkness
The Conway Mighty Air Purifier is a superb air purifier which has various speed settings, automatic sensors for detecting polluted air, as well as auto slowing down once the air is nice and fresh. It uses 4 different filtering systems to ensure that nearly 100% of the pollutants from the air in your room are removed. It is easy to use, has a useful timer and is certified as safe from harmful ozone release. This is the perfect air purifier to go for if you are allergic, have pets, live in a polluted area, or have a sensitive respiratory system.
It is fairly priced and is quite reasonably priced in the long run with all additional filters and costs associated with it.
If you are really worried about bacteria and viruses in your home, or somebody in the household has a compromised immune system, you are definitely in need of the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Purifier. This unit can successfully filter out and clean off the majority of viruses and bacteria in your home.
- Uses UV light combined with titanium dioxide to kill off bacteria and viruses including those which cause flu, colds, staph infections, and others
- Features an activated charcoal filter which can catch all smells, smoke, and gases from the air of your room
- An additional HEPA filter removes almost 99.97% of all airborne particles in the air including dust mites, pet dander, mold, pollen, dust, and others
- The UV light bulb has 20,000 hours of life
- 3-speed options
- The activated carbon and HEPA filters are combined in one, so there is only 1 combo filter to change every 6 to 8 months
- An indicator light will inform you when it is time to change the filters
- Works for rooms up to 155 square feet
- Has a small footprint thanks to the tower like structure – dimensions: 7 x 10.2 x 21.5 inches, 7 lbs.
- Safety certified
- Reasonably priced
- The combo filter can be expensive
This is an affordable, multifunctional air purifier which will refresh the ambient air, and will allow you to breathe better, without congestion due to the airborne particles in the air and other allergens. It has a UV system which effectively kills germs, which means that you will save tons of money on flu and cold medicines, as well as for allergy medication.
It is easy to set and requires minimal maintenance. Overall, this is an excellent, certified air purifier which will make your home much safer and healthier to live in.
Do you want an air purifier which can do all the filtering and cleaning of the air in your room while you are at work, or outdoors? With the PureZone 3-in-1 air purifier, you can set the timer and let the device do its work, and then return home to healthier and cleaner air.
- Versatile device with a HEPA filter for the airborne debris, a UV-C light which kills off all harmful microorganisms like viruses, germs, fungi and dust mites, an activated carbon filter which will remove any odors, gas or fumes, and a pre-filter for the larger particles
- Whisper quiet operation at a mere 30dB which is perfect if you use the purifier at night
- Easy setup – the device is ready to use straight out of the box
- A timer function allowing you to program the air purifier to work for 2, 4 or 8 hours and then switch off for energy conservation and extending the life of the filter
- An attractive design
- Easy to access and use control panel
- A 3-speed fan
- An indicator for filter resetting
- Has a sleep mode for even quieter functioning, and also switches off the indicator lights
- Can be used in rooms up to 200 sq.
- The dimensions are: 10.8 x 6.9 x 12.1 inches, 8.6 lbs.
- Very little maintenance is required – periodic washing or vacuuming of the pre-filter, and replacing the 3-in-1 filter every 6 or more months
- Comes with a 5-year warranty, and also has very useful customer support available 7 days a week
- It is a smaller unit which is suitable for smaller spaces only
The PureZone 3-in-1 has a convenient timer, and not only will it filter out the small and larger particles out of the ambient air, but it also will kill off all kinds of bacteria, viruses, and other allergens and harmful microorganisms.
It is easy to set up – straight out of the box. The air purifier needs very little maintenance, and most importantly it is sold with a 5-year warranty, which is much longer than most of the other purifiers we have reviewed.
With the PureZone 3, your home will immediately be filled with fresh and pure air which is a pleasure to breathe!
Do you want an air purifier which doesn’t require that you replace the filters every 6 months or so? With the Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0, you will just need to turn it on and forget about it for up to 3 years before having to replace the filters.
- The unit is capable of filtering the air in a 625 sq. ft. room twice per hour
- Highly efficient BioGS HEPA and carbon filtration with 4 different stages of purification, odor removal and deodorizing
- The filters can last for up to 3 years with 12 hours of operation per day which is very economical in the long run
- The BioGS HEPA filter traps and reduces common airborne allergens and particles as small as 0.3 microns, and reduces the risk of the buildup of allergens and microorganisms on the filter itself
- The pre-filter which captures the larger particles is easy to wash and vacuum
- An ultra-quiet motor
- 5-speed settings
- LCD display, touchscreen controls, and a remote control
- Great looking and functional design
- Energy Star certified for energy saving
- A filter indicator will inform you when the filter needs cleaning or replacing
- The indicator lights will shut off when the unit is idle – for energy saving and for undisturbed sleeping
- Winner of several prestigious international awards
- 6 x 9.8 x 22.2 inches, 16.8 pounds
- Comes with detailed and easy to understand instructions
- A 5-year warranty and 24/7 very useful customer care support
- It is more expensive than some of the other items in this list
This Ultra Quiet Rabbit air BioGS air purifier is definitely among our top favorites. Not only does it provide ultimate air filtering, freshening and deodorizing, but it doesn’t require expensive replacements of the filters every 6 months like some of the other units. You just have to dust or vacuum the filters periodically to keep them functioning properly.
It is very quiet, has 5 different speed settings and can filter and refresh the air in rooms up to 625 square feet. Of course, if you are allergic or prone to respiratory problems, you may want to use it in smaller rooms to double the unit’s efficiency!
Also, it is an energy saving unit, so you won’t have the electricity bills bulking up after you start using it.
Yes, it may be more expensive than some of the other air purifiers in this list, but overall, this is a great investment to make for a healthier and cleaner environment at home!
If you are one of the many dog lovers who suffer from dog allergies, you will totally love the Winix Ultimate Pet True air cleaner. It is the perfect solution if you have pet allergies but are not ready to say goodbye to your furry friends.
- One of the most effective air cleaners for households with pets
- A 5-stage system for filtration which includes a HEPA filter, a CleanCell anti-bacterial filter, a PlasmaWave and an Advanced odor control filter which targets the airborne pollutants at a molecular level, and thus removes debris, bacteria, viruses, gases, and odors completely
- 2-stage carbon filtration which efficiently removes pet dander, hair, and odors
- The HEPA filter removes up to 99% of the airborne particles
- Low, medium, high and turbo speed options
- An easy to use control panel, a LCD display, and a remote control
- The sensors in the unit detect when the fan speed needs adjustment due to polluted air
- Can purify the air of rooms of up to 280 square feet
- An auto dim feature of the lights of the unit to save energy and to keep you comfortable during sleep
- A LED alert will inform you when the filters need replacing
- The size is 16.5 x 9.9 x 21.9 inches, the weight of the unit is 24.3 pounds
- The unit doesn’t have a handle which makes it less portable
If you are one of the unlucky animal lovers who have a severe allergy from pet hair or dander, this air purifier is a dream come true.
It provides 5 levels of filtering and removes 99% of all the allergens, pollutants and other harmful particles from an area up to 280 square feet.
It is easy to set, via the user-friendly control panel and remote control. The filtering systems are one of the most efficient you can find in the air purifiers on the market.
As a whole, this is definitely an appliance you want to invest in if you are looking for a last resort and solution to your problem with your allergies and your beloved pets.
If you need a small-sized and yet efficient air purifier which you can carry around with you around the house or to the office, you should try out the Levoit Air Purifier. It is very compact and operates via a 3-stage filtering system which will provide you with the fresh and clean air you need to stay healthy and well.
- An excellent solution for air purifying in an air-conditioned room
- Also great for cleaning the air in the house of smokers
- Removes common allergens such as pollens, pet dander and hair, mold, and other pollutants
- A 3-stage filtrating system including a pre-filter, a TRUE HEPA filter, and an Activated carbon filter
- Affordable price
- Very compact size – can be placed on a bedside table (8.5 x 8.5 x 14.5 inches, 6.61 lbs.)
- Removes 99.7% of the tiniest airborne particles from the air
- 100% ozone-free without Ions or UV
- Low, medium and high-speed settings
- A low noise level of 50 dB
- Energy saving device
- Features a nightlight with 2 brightness levels
- Very easy setup – all you have to do is remove the bad from the filter and plug it in
- A 2-year warranty, plus lifetime customer support
- Available at a very reasonable price
- The buttons are very sensitive and produce a high pitched sound which is not removable
The Levoit air purifier is a fine little air cleaning machine, which is suitable for just about any home or office. It will remove all nasty odors, any harmful fumes, and smoke, as well as trap and remove smaller and larger airborne debris, dust, mold, pet dander, hair, and all other allergens and harmful pollutants from the air in your home.
It is easy to set up and use. You can use it as a convenient night light and enjoy breathing fresh air all day and all night long with the help of this affordable and efficient air purifier.
The 3-stage filter system can work at 3 speeds, and needs a filter replacement just once in a year or every 6 months, depending on the use and the pollution levels.
It is affordable, portable and does have a great effect, which you will feel as soon as you plug it in. It is definitely recommended for smokers, pet owners, people with allergies and for all people who live in polluted areas.
Are you shopping for a reliable air filter which can successfully clean the air in large rooms? This Honeywell Allergen remover air cleaner has a capacity to filter out pollutants in the air of rooms up to 465 square feet.
- Filtering capacity for areas of up to 465 sq. ft.
- 4 air cleaning settings – Germ, Allergen, General Clean and Turbo
- A pre-filter captures the larger debris
- An activated carbon filter for absorption of odors, VOC, gases, and fumes
- Auto shut off timer for 2, 4 or 8 hours
- The air is filtered and circulated 5 times an hour
- A useful and easy to use control panel
A light dimmer available for your comfort
- HPA300 filtering, germ removal as well as capturing airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns
- The Turbo setting can be used for heavily polluted rooms
- Easy maintenance – the pre-filter should be replaced every 3 months, the HEPA filter -once a year. You will be reminded via the useful filter indicator light
- Quiet operation
- Space saving design – the unit sucks in the air from the bottom and releases the filtered air from the top air grate
- The replacement filters can be quite expensive
The Honeywell True air purifier is a powerful and yet quiet air cleaning device, suitable for large spaces. It can filter out about 99% of all airborne pollutants from the ambient air and ensures that it is fully filtered about 5 times per hour.
It is perfect for people with allergies, respiratory problems, with pets, smokers, as well as those who live in polluted areas.
You will be amazed at how easy it is to breathe once you start using this remarkable air purifier.
Are you tired of dusting and cleaning your home on a daily basis? With the Winix 5500-2, you will find that the need for dusting all surfaces and washing the floors will reduce significantly only after a few days of use.
This is a powerful, reliable and very easy to use an air purifier, which will change your life, as it will improve the quality of the air in the house, and pretty soon any allergies, congestions, eczemas and other conditions you may suffer from will begin to improve.
- The HEPA filter will ensure that 99.97% of the pollutants in the air are eliminated – this includes pollen, dust mites, pet dander, and other microscopic allergens
- The AOC carbon filter is washable and will absorb any nasty odors, fumes, and smoke
- A PlasmaWave system provides ozone-free continuous filtering of odors, chemical fumes, allergens, and other airborne pollutants
- The unit has a Smart Sensor which will detect any changes in the air quality and will adjust the fans in accordance
- A sleep mode provides ultra-quiet and dark nighttime operation
- The purifier is CADR rated, and AHAM certified for areas up to 360 square feet, so it is suitable for medium to large rooms
- It works with a 3-stage filtering system
- There are 4 fan speeds to choose from – low, medium, high and turbo speed
- A LED display will continuously display the quality of the air in real-time
- The display has a useful auto-dim feature
- The filter replacement indicator will let you know when the time has come for filter changing. In general, the Carbon pre-filter has to be changed every 6 months, and the HEPA filter has to be replaced once a year
- The unit is Energy Star certified, so it will not bulk up those electricity bills
- You can control the unit via the control panel or the useful remote control
- Dimensions are: 15 x 23.6 x 8.2 inches, 15.4 lbs.
- Plays a sound when turned on and when pressing the buttons, which can disturb others if used at night
The Winix 5500-2 is an excellent air purifier, which you can set to filter the air and leave the house without feeling anxious about turning it off. It will automatically shut off when it is done.
Also, the smart sensor will inform you when the air in the room is clean, and when it needs filtering. You can set it to automatic mode, and it will switch on and off depending on the current air quality.
It is perfect for night time use as long as you don’t press the buttons, as they do beep. Otherwise, the sleep mode is ultra-quiet, and the lights come off so that you can sleep undisturbed and breathe fresh air during the night.
Overall, this is a great air cleaning product, which requires very little maintenance, and which you can rely upon to remove nearly all allergens, pollutants, dust mites, pet dander, and other debris from the air in your home safely and efficiently!
The Enerzen High Capacity Commercial ozone generator is the best solution for you.
This powerful, industrial ozone generator, can purify, sterilize and deodorize a car, room, office or another area in a matter of a few minutes.
- A very powerful unit which uses very little energy
- A durable industrial construction made of metal will withstand a lot of wear and tear
- The size of the device is 7.75 x 9 x 6.75
- Suitable for industrial use as well – for removing odors after fires, floods, and others
- Provides a steady ozone output when switched on
- Eliminates the growth of fungus, mold, and mildew
- Removes all odors from smoke, mold, pets, chemical fumes, smoke damage, water damage, cooking and others
- Leaves the area with a nice clean and fresh smell
- A timer allows you to set the operation time with precision
- Has a powerful fan and heat sinks to keep the unit cool
- Doesn’t require maintenance, as it doesn’t have filters
- Portable (5lbs.) which means you can easily carry it in your car, to your RV, cabin, boat or anywhere
- Affordable price for the value provided
- You must leave the area, and remove any pets and plants from it when using the device
This is an inexpensive solution to the huge problem of removing pungent odors from homes, offices and other premises. The Enerzen Ozone generator is very powerful and will eliminate all kinds of odors in minutes. It has a timer so that it turns off after the time is up, to make it safe for you to return to the room or another area.
Your home will smell fresh and clean, even if it has been drenched with cigarette smoke, chemical fumes, mold, pet odors or other nasty smells.
Plus, with this device, you can stop the growth of any mold, fungus, and mildew altogether.
It is definitely worth buying if you want a fresh and nice smelling home at all times!
This amazing unit will provide efficient germ defense, remove odors, absorb toxins and help reduce the quantity of pet dander and hairs in the air that you breathe.
- Features an advanced 6-stage BioGS HEPA filtration, purification, and deodorization system
- Stage 1 is the pre-filter which is washable and doesn’t need to be replaced – this stage traps the large pollutants from the air such as hair, dust, pollen, and others
- Stage 2 is the medium filter which captures airborne pollutants larger than 1 micron such as pet dander, pollen, and mold
- Stage 3 is the BioGS HEPA filter which can capture particles and allergens as small as 0.3 microns
- Stage 4 is the customized filter – you can choose from Pet Allergy, Germ Defense, Toxin Absorber or Odor Remover customized filters
- Stage 5 is the charcoal based activated carbon filter which absorbs odors from cooking, smoke, fumes, and others
- Stage 6 is the Negative ion generator stage which produces ions for freshening the air and for fortifying the air indoors
- Can filter the air of rooms and areas up to 815 square feet – it will filter all of the air twice an hour
- Can be connected to your home Wi-Fi network and be controlled via the iOS Rabbit Air App – you can use the app to monitor the air quality, switch the unit on and off and control it from wherever you want
- It can be installed on a wall (it comes with a wall mounting kit) or used as a standalone unit
- Comes with a 5-year warranty as well as 24/7 technical support
- Can feature a customized front panel with different pictures, including images by Van Gogh, Monet, Hokusai, as well as fun-filled animated images including Peanuts and Hello Kitty
- A useful timer allows you to set the purifier to start and stop whenever you prefer, even if you are not home
- Adjustable LED light display
- An adjustable calming mood light as well as a quality indicator light
- A light sensor will switch the unit to sleep mode automatically when the light is low
- Ultra-quiet operation from 20.8-45.6 dB
- The filters will last for about 2 years with 12-hour operation a day
- Energy Star rated for energy conservation
- Has a remote control
- Dimensions are 7 x 21.4 x 20.2 inches, 19.4 lbs.
- It is rather pricey, and so can be the replacement filters for it
The Rabbit Air MinusA2 is a sleek and beautiful air purifier which can filter the air in rooms up to 815 square feet. It has a 6 stage filtering system, one of which is customizable in accordance with your needs depending on whether you want to use the device for odor elimination, for reduction of allergens, for germ removal or for absorption of toxins from the air.
You can connect it to your Wi-Fi network and monitor and control the status of your air and air purifier through the useful mobile app.
This Rabbit air purifier has an automatic sleep function, a smart sensor, a mood light as well as a beautiful panel which you can customize with a classic painting or cartoon.
Overall, this is an excellent, modern and highly efficient air purifier, which is highly recommended for those of you who want the best of the best when it comes to ensuring that the quality of the air that you breathe is perfect.
Studies show that the sales of air purifiers worldwide has been rapidly increasing since 2010, and the forecasts are that it will continue growing in the next 5-10 years.
The main reasons for this tendency include:
- The growing awareness of the impact of indoor pollution on the health
- The increased environmental pollution due to harmful emissions
- The growing number of people suffering from allergic respiratory, skin and other disorders
- The increasing quality of the HEPA and other modern filtering systems
The different air purifiers use different air cleaning systems and technologies to filter out the ambient air. This can include filtering, burning, ionizing or irradiating the air.
Here are the most common air purification methods used by manufacturers today:
- Thermodynamic sterilization
- HEPA filters
- UV germicidal irradiation
- High-efficiency MERV 14
- Activated carbon
- Ionizer purifiers
- Polarized-media air cleaning
- Photocatalytic oxidation
- Ozone generators
- Titanium dioxide technology
As you can see, the variations of the air purifiers are so many that it is really tough to choose the best one for your needs.
What you need to consider when picking the best air purifier is what exactly you will be using the purifier for. Is it to eliminate odors from chemicals, pets or cigarette smoke? Is it to minimize the airborne allergens in the air? Will you be using it to kill off germs, viruses, bacteria, and other harmful microorganisms? Do you have somebody in the household who has special air quality needs?
Once you sort this one out, you can pick the air purifiers which are rated best for the purpose you need them.
Then you can start sorting the air purifiers by the capacity of the rooms they can handle, as well as by the size of the unit.
The number of cleaning and filtering systems used, as well as the specific types of filters utilized by the purifier, is also essential. You need to choose the best filtering system which will satisfy your needs and meet your expectations.
Another crucial feature is the control and setting of the unit. Does it have an easy to use control panel, a remote control, or maybe a mobile app to make monitoring and controlling it easier?
Also, look for features such as automatic switching on if low quality of the air is detected, automatic switch to sleep mode when it gets dark, dimmable indicator and other lights, and other useful features.
Of course, the price is probably the most decisive factor. Remember to check out the price tags not only of the unit of your choice but of the replacement filters, light bulbs and others as well. Plus, do some calculations about how much the unit will cost you per year given the recommended period for replacing the filters.
Don’t forget to look at the warranty period, as well as the usefulness and availability of customer care, replacement part, and service.
All of these pointers should help you make up your mind about the best air purifier.
Our top 10 choices all have wonderful features, and all function very well as air purifiers, and the other functions they are designed for.
So, you can rest assured that whichever one you pick, you will be making a wise choice.
In today’s world of heavy traffic, pollution, and the growing number of children and people suffering from allergies and respiratory problems such as asthma, investing in a good quality air purifier is a must. This is especially true for people living in big cities, beside busy roads, or houses where there are smokers, pets or people with compromised immune systems, respiratory problems, eczemas, and others.
After all, the air that we breathe is crucial for our lives, health, and wellbeing. So, why not spend some of your hard earned money on a good quality air purifier, instead of spending it on medicine and hospital bills later instead.
Good luck with your shopping, and we hope we have helped you make the best choice so that pretty soon you can enjoy a much fresher, healthier and cleaner air in your home!
- Top 10 Best 55-Inch TVs in 2018
- Which is the best 80 inch TV?
- These are the best 32-inch TVs in 2018
- Top 10 Best 60-Inch TVs in 2018
- Looking for 40 inch TV? The most recent reviews.
- The 100 Best Christmas Movies of All Time – 2018
Last update on 2018-12-17 at 17:55 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API