You may remember the time (not so long ago) when a 40 inch TV was considered a huge TV. Well, today TVs are getting thinner and lighter…and as you may have noticed – larger.
In fact, nowadays, the “normal” TV size for a living room is 65 inches. But if you want to upgrade from a 32 inch TV, a 40 inch one is a superb choice if you don’t want to overwhelm your room.
Also, 40 inch TVs are great for smaller rooms like bedrooms, guest rooms, dorm rooms, gyms, and others. They are perfect for playing video games or for use as monitors for your PC.
The best news is that 40 inch TVs are not as expensive as the larger sizes, and yet many of them have similar features as some of the bigger models.
Unfortunately, the leading technology is saved for the larger TVs so you will not be able to find a 40 inch OLED TV or one with a processor as powerful as those in the TVs sized 55 inches and up but still, there are many 40-43 inch TVs out there worth investing in.
We have tested and reviewed quite a few of them, and have come up with our top choice for the best 10 40 inch TVs for 2020 for you.
Read on to find out what to expect from each one of these excellent TV sets.
- 40 inch 4K Ultra HD LED TV with a native resolution of 2160p (3840 x 2160) and smart features
- A frame rate of 120HZ which reduces the motion blur and makes watching sports and fast action scenes a much more satisfying experience
- A low impact lag for enjoying your favorite video games
- Excellent upscaling of lower resolution content and a great native 4K picture, so you can watch your old DVD’s and other non-HDR content at a much higher resolution and quality
- PurColor technology provides a true-to-life color experience for a more natural and detailed viewing experience
- UHD dimming optimizes the sharpness and color of all parts of the screen separately to create a deeper black and perfectly pure white for an exceptional contrast
- 3 HDMI, 2 USB, 1 composite, 1 component, RF, digital audio out, Ethernet, ARC, inputs
- Integrated Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity for sharing media content among paired or connected devices as well as for access to the Internet and to all online streaming services
- Dolby Digital Plus audio
- Android TV and a full internet browser
- Dimensions of 36.1 x 21.1 x 2.5 inches without the stand and 36.1 x 23.5 x 11.3 inches with it
- Can be connected to the home network and to the internet via Wi-Fi or LAN and can be paired to your Bluetooth device, the TV is DLNA certified
- The LED panel is just 2.5 inches thick, and the screen has a glossy finish
- Sleek and refined design which will add beauty and style to your home décor
- One control remote can control all compatible devices and has a voice control option for hassle-free channel or content searching and TV control
- You can control the settings and the TV from your smartphone thanks to the Smart View app
- The One Depth smart hub will give you quick previews of the content available so you can pick what you want to watch easily
- Auto-detection of all connected devices
- 1-year warranty
The dimensions of this TV without the stand are 37.8 x 22.1 x 2.9 inches and with the stand: 37.8 x 24 x 8.4 inches.
This 2019 TV from TCL perfectly combines the clarity provided by the 4K Ultra HD with the contrast, detail, and color from the HDR (Dolby Vision) for an incredibly lifelike picture.
Thanks to the Dolby Vision HDR imaging system and the NBP Photon technology, you will be able to enjoy crystal clear images in a strikingly wide color range.
The edge backlighting of the LED panel produces the outstanding picture quality and the deep blacks, which you will no doubt appreciate.
The TV has 3 HDMI (one with ARC), 1 USB, a composite, RF, optical audio out, headphone jack and Ethernet inputs so that you can connect your TV to any device you choose, including a cable box, a game console, a soundbar, a DVD or Blu-ray player and others.
You can connect the TCL 43S517 to your home network so that you can stream content from any connected device or from your favorite online streaming service directly to the TV.
The smart functionality of this TV includes easy and free access to more than 1,000 channels, and over 500,000 movies and TV shows via Roku TV. In other words, you will never be bored once you buy this TV! Plus, you won’t need to spend money on paying for a video streaming device or an online streaming service.
If you want to play games on the TV, you will not be disappointed either. It has a very low input lag, which along with the bright highlights and dark shadows, will make your gaming experience a truly immersive 4K one!
The 5 Series TV from 2019 has a refresh rate of 120Hz, and supreme motion control, thus you will be able to watch your favorite sports event without being disrupted by blurring and other distortions due to the fast-moving action on the screen.
Thanks to the innovative remote control, you can use your voice only to search for media content, change channels, or control the TV.
Overall, the TCL S517 is an exceptional 4K TV given the price it is being offered for and all the high end features such as a high native contrast ratio, deepest blacks, a wide color gamut, local dimming, Dolby Vision and HDR10 support and a low input lag, as well as the Roku smart platform which is no doubt one of the best smart TV systems available at the moment!
Our best budget choice for 2020 is another 43 inch TV from TCL – the 43S425. This is a 4K UHD HDR LED TV with smart Roku, which was released in 2019 by TCL and is even more affordable than our favorite TCL 43S517 TV.
The S425 also comes in larger sizes of 49”, 55” and 65” if you decide you want a larger TV.
The dimensions of this TV are 38.2 x 22.4 x 3 inches without the stand and 38.2 x 24.5 x 7.6 inches with the TV stand. At 16.5 lbs. it is much lighter than the TCL S517, and you can easily mount it on the wall for better viewing and for space-saving.
It has a direct-lid LED panel that produces the picture quality you have always dreamed of. Thanks to its HDR support and the clarity of its 4K Ultra HD picture, you will feel like you are part of the film or the action you are watching – they will seem almost lifelike.
This budget-friendly 43 inch TV has the same inputs as our top pick form TCL – 3 HDMI, 1 USB, RF, headphone jack, composite, Ethernet, and optical audio out.
Thanks to its Roku smart platform support, you will get easy access to more than half a million movies and TV shows online and to thousands of online channels, and you won’t need to spend ages trying to figure out how to get to the content you want online, on cable, your Blu-ray or any other connected device thanks to the extremely user-friendly interface of the TV.
The 43 inch TV from the 4 Series from TCL supports HDR and has a special 4K Creative Pro upscaling processor, which will turn any non-HDR content into a beautiful, clear, and realistic 4K Ultra HD resolution.
The affordable TV has a refresh rate of 120Hz, and you can choose to watch online video streams, cable or satellite programs, or your local free over the air channels thanks to its Wi-Fi and Ethernet connectivity options, its various inputs and its integrated TV tuner.
Thanks to the Roku smart platform, you can ditch your cable subscription and stop paying for additional online streaming services, as your new TV will provide you with easy access to a wide variety of programs, movies and TV shows for free.
You will not hurt your family budget, but you surely will make your family happy if you choose to buy this excellent 43 inch 4K UHD LED TV from the 4 Series of TCL, which is the best affordable TV in this size and range which we have tested so far this year.
Our other top picks for 2020
- 4K UHD LED TV with over 8 million pixels
- Provides a stunning and true to life picture quality with deep contrast, vivid colors and exceptional clarity
- It supports HDR and HDR10
- A built-in Fire TV which provides access to tens of thousands of apps, channels, Alexa skills, including Hulu, Netflix, HBO, Prime Video, Showtime, Amazon Music, Google Play Movies and TV and others
- The Fire TV integrates the over-the-air TV programs with the streaming channels on one home screen for easier previewing and access
- Can be voice-controlled via the Fire remote with Alexa voice assistant, and you can also control your other smart devices at home with your voice with it
- The dimensions without the stand are: 38.1 x 22.5 x 3.5 inches, and with the stand: 38.1 x 23,9 x 9.1 inches
- The inputs include: 3 HDMI (with 1 ARC), 1 USB, optical digital output, composite, antenna or cable, audio out, Ethernet
- It costs less than most of the other TVs in this range
- 40 inch Full HD 1080p resolution smart TV
- User-friendly smart TV platform – Vizio Internet App Plus, which will allow you to find your favorite movies and shows on the internet and watch them straight on the TV
- A full array backlight behind the LED panel which will provide you with a superior picture performance and light uniformity
- A built-in high-speed Wi-Fi connection to connect the TV to your network and to the Internet
- Excellent fast action processing and motion control thanks to the Clear Action 240 and the 60Hz effective refresh rate will remove any blur from your favorite sports and movies
- A very intuitive seven-position App launcher and a full-screen app home to find the apps and content you need without going through complicated menus
- Automatic updates of the software to keep the TV working perfectly
- 2 HDMI, 1 USB, composite/component video, audio line-in, Ethernet, digital audio output inputs and outputs for connecting all the devices you need
- 200x200mm wall mounting surface
- Built-in TV tuner, if you decide to cut the cable and watch your local free on-the-air programs instead
- 26 x 20.5 x 2.7 inches, 17.2 lbs.
- Comes with a zero defective pixel guarantee
- Sold at a very reasonable price
Do you want a 4K UHD TV that will allow you to enjoy some of the most realistic colors you have seen on a TV screen? If your answer is yes, then the Sony XBR43X800E could be the most suitable one for you.
- A 43 inch 4K UHD HDR edge-lit LED TV which will amaze you with its lifelike picture
- The size of the TV without the stand is 38 x 22 3/8 x 2 ¼ inches, and with the stand: 42 x 26 x 6 inches, 38.8 lbs.
- Runs Android TV, which will give you access to endless types of online apps via the included Google Play
- Compatible with Alexa and Google Home, and can be voice-controlled
- The native refresh rate of 60Hz is paired with the Motionflow XR to provide you with blur-free and clear fast action picture – excellent for watching sports and action films
- Trilumunos display which produces some of the most realistic colors we have seen
- Excellent delivery of both HDR and SDR quality content and exceptional SDR brightness which will allow you to watch your chosen content in a very bright room
- Broad gaming support for all you video gamers out there
- Supports all kinds of PC monitor formats and resolutions, so you can use it as a monitor without any problems
- The IPS display tech ensures that the TV is visible from a very wide angle, which is great if you want to watch it from all sides without distortion
- A wide color gamut
- Sturdy and well built – this TV is made to last
- Available in 49 and 55-inch versions as well
- The smart remote control supports voice commands, has a nifty home button for switching among apps, as well as a very clever Picture in Picture which allows you to watch your cable or on-the-air TV as you browse through and use the Android interface
- Offers both Ethernet and wireless internet connectivity options
- 4K X-Reality PRO processor
- 4 HDMI, 3 USB, digital optical audio out, analog audio out, Ethernet inputs and outputs
- Supports pass-through ARC Dolby Digital, ARC DTS, Optical Dolby Digital and Optical DTS
- Budget priced as compared to other Sony 4K TVs of this size
- 40 inch Full HD 1080p LED TV
- Provides a very sharp and clear picture with vivid, lifelike colors
- Smooth and clear delivery of fast-moving actions and sports videos and games thanks to the 60Hz refresh rate and the Motion Estimation and Motion Compensation 120
- 3 HDMI to connect various devices, such as your game console, cable box Blu-ray player or other
- A USB port which you can use to watch content from a USB flash drive or your external hard disk
- A Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL) for streaming media from your phone or tablet to the TV
- DTS SRS TruSurround HD for audible and clear dialogues and a good quality sound
- A built-in ATSC/NTSC/Clear QAM tuner to watch your locally available on-the-air TV channels
- SPDIF, analog audio, headphone outputs
- Cable or antenna, component, composite, VGA, PC audio inputs
- Wall mounting 200x200mm VESA hole pattern
- The size of the TV without the stand is 35.86 x 20.55 x 3.43 inches, and with the stand – 35.86 x 21.85 x 7.91 inches
- Easy to use remote control
- 1-year limited warranty
- Full HD 1080p resolution
- 40 inch LED TV perfect for bedrooms, dorm, rooms, and other smaller spaces
- An efficient Motion Rate technology minimizes any delays when watching sports of fast-moving scenes
- Very suitable for playing all kinds of video games thanks to the fast processing and low input lag of the TV
- 2 HDMI and 1 USB inputs to connect your preferred external devices, such as a Blu-ray player, a soundbar, a game console, and others
- Has an Ethernet port so you can connect it to your home network and stream content from your hard drive or other devices on the network
- Very budget-friendly price makes it one of the best bargains available for a TV of this size and quality
- 43 inch LED display with a 4K Ultra HD resolution (2160p) and HDR
- 60 Hz effective native refresh rate with added Motionflow XR for watching fast-action sports, shows and movies without any blur
- Very clear, detailed and lifelike picture with an incredible color range and very satisfying contrast
- Superb 4K upscaling allows you to enjoy a clean and sharp picture no matter what the source and its resolution is
- 3 HDMI, 3 USB, 1 component and composite and Ethernet inputs are all on the side, which makes this TV great for wall mounting
- Can be connected to your home network and the internet via Ethernet or the integrated Wi-Fi
- Runs Android TV which has Google Play with all of the apps available for smart Android TVs
- Has a built-in tuner for watching on-the-air channels
- You get a mini-plug video adapter with the TV
- The dimensions are 38.3 x 22.5 x 2.9 inches without the stand and 37.3 x 24.5 x 9.7 with it
- Available in a 49-inch version too
- A shiny bar on the bottom of the TV can be turned up or dimmed down according to your desire
- A very good price for a Sony 4K UHD TV
- A handy and easy to use remote control with direct buttons for Netflix and an intuitive navigational D-pad
- The TV can be voice-controlled too
If you want to buy a 40 inch TV to watch TV shows, sport, or movies, or to play your favorite games, but without breaking the bank, then the TCL 40S325 Smart LED Roku TV from the TCL 3 Series from 2019 is one of the best deals you will find on the market.
The TV comes at an excellent affordable price, especially given its image accuracy, its smart features, and its overall performance.
– Sold at a low price
– HD 1080p resolution
– A direct LED-lit 40-inch display
– Smart functionality via the intuitive and fast Roku TV
– You will get access to over 500 thousand movies, shows, and other content through Roku TV
– The TV has 3 HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, including HDMI ARC, a USB, a headphone jack, an RF, a composite and optical audio inputs and outputs
– It works with Google Assistant and Alexa
– You can control the settings of the TV via the useful Roku mobile app or the intuitive remote control
– Dual-band Wi-Fi connectivity
– A built-in tuner to access the free on-air programs
– Very good reflection handling of the semi-gloss screen
– Stunning pre-calibration accuracy
– Response time of 5.2 ms to 15.4 ms
– You can watch videos and view images from your USB flash stick
– A footprint of 30.5 x 7.3 inches
– Thin 0.55 inch bezels
– A thickness of 2.95 inches
– 100 x 100mm VESA mountable
– The overall dimensions with the stand are 35.6 x 22.7 x 7.2 inches
– Without the stand, the TV is 35.6 x 20.5 x 2.9 inches
– It is also available in a smaller 32 inch and larger 43 and 49-inch sizes
Why buy a 40-43 inch TV?
If you are wondering what the advantages of buying a 40 inch TV are, here are some to keep in mind:
- If you have a 32 inch or smaller TV, then you may want to upgrade it to a 40 or 43-inch one, so that it isn’t too overwhelming, as a 55 inch or larger TV would be.
- 40-43 inch TVs are excellent for bedrooms, smaller living rooms, dorm rooms, or for other small living or working spaces. According to Samsung, the size of the TV should by 1/3 of the distance between you and where you plan on placing it. This means that if you are 10 feet away, the proper size to go for is 40 inches.
- You can use your 40 inch TV as a monitor for your computer or for playing video games too.
- Probably the best part about buying a 40 inch TV is that they are much cheaper than the larger 55, 65, and larger sizes, and still have most of the features and the quality of the larger ones currently being offered on the market.
Features to look for when picking the best 40 inch TV
If you have decided to buy a 40-43 inch TV, there are some basic features to consider in order to ensure that you are making the best possible choice. Here are the features which we looked for when we picked our ultimate top 10 best 40-43 inch TVs for 2020.
Smart vs. non-smart
We have added both smart and non-smart TVs in our top 10 list because we know that everybody has different preferences. A TV with smart functionality and an internet connection is a must if you plan on watching Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, or any other online streaming service without a dedicated streaming device.
We chose some of the best smart 40-43 inch TVs available on the market right now. Probably the best one when it comes to intelligent functionality is the Roku enabled TCL 43S517 TV, as well as the cheaper TCL 43S425, which will provide you with easy access to thousands of online channels and to more than 500,000 streaming movies, TV series, and shows.
Of course, the other smart TVs also will provide you with access to streaming channels to various news, gaming, educational, weather, health, and other apps, as well as allow you to browse the internet directly through them.
Look for TVs compatible with Alexa or Google Home if you want to easily search for media content, change channels, and control your TV without even having to touch your remote control. Our top pick – the Vizio e43-F1 and the Sony XBR43X800E are compatible with these nifty voice assistants. The Vizio E Series also has built-in Chromecast, which is yet another advantage if you want easy access to streamed content.
The Toshiba 43LF621U19 features Fire TV, which, too, will provide you with access to endless online TV channels and content.
For those of you who don’t need smart functionality, we chose the Sceptre Class FHD and the Hisense 40H3080E, which are excellent, non-smart inexpensive TVs.
Ultra HD or Full HD
Many people claim that the difference between Ultra HD and Full HD on screens which are smaller than 55 inches is impossible to notice. Still, the truth is that after we tested so many different 40-43 inch TVs, we found that the difference is there and is quite apparent even on TVs of this size.
This is especially true when you watch a 4K UHD paired with High Dynamic Range (HDR), so if you want the best of the best picture quality and performance, you should opt for the higher resolution options. Netflix is already streaming some movies and series in the highest 4K HDR resolution and range, and in the near future more TVs and streaming services are likely to follow it, so it is a reasonable investment to make if you are planning to use your TV for more than one or two years.
Most of the TVs on our list have 4K Ultra HD resolution, but we have added a couple of Full HD 1080p ones as well as cheaper alternatives, but with excellent quality.
Inputs and outputs
You may have been bored reading through our detailed lists of the outputs and inputs available on each TV on our list, but trust us, checking the number of HDMI ports and other inputs and outputs of the TV is essential if you want to connect it to your cable box, your game console, your Blu-ray player, a soundbar or other devices without having to unplug and plug cables every time. Also, consider buying a TV that has easy to access inputs and outputs on the bottom or on the side, especially if you are going to mount it on the wall.
High Definition Range
HDR helps improve the color accuracy and extends the contrast range of the picture, for a better and truer-to-life experience when you are watching movies or other content. TVs with HDR compatibility produce an expanded color range and brighter white, which makes videos look deeper and more real. All of our top picks with 4K Ultra HD have HDR. Read through our reviews to find out which are the ones that perform best.
The best 40 and 43 inch TVs have a native refresh rate of 60Hz and an effective rate of 120Hz. A faster refresh rate reduces blur when watching fast-action activities like sports, movies, and others. All of our top choices handle fast motion pretty well. This makes them excellent for watching sports, playing video games, and watching other fast-motion videos.
Sure, all of the TVs on our list are either 40 or 43 inches, but this is the size of the diagonal of the screen. Make sure you look at the dimensions of the TV sets with and without the TV stand in order to ensure that it will fit the space you have allocated for it.
If you are planning on breaking up with your cable company, you may want to look for a TV that has a built-in tuner, so that you can watch your locally available on-the-air TV programs at a high resolution and quality.
We know how important the price is for just about everyone, which is why we have carefully picked TVs which have the best price for the quality and value provided.
There are several 40 inch TVs on our list which cost around $200 or less, so we believe that we have chosen a TV for just about any budget. But even the more expensive ones we have picked do not come even close to the prices of the larger sized TVs, so you won’t be breaking the bank no matter which model you choose.
We would like to thank you for taking the time to read our detailed reviews, and truly hope that we have helped you make the best decision about the 40 inch TV you are going to buy.
We believe that we have picked a suitable 40 inch TV for any need, taste, and budget.
Whichever one you decide to buy, you can be pretty confident that you are making a good investment, because when it comes to price to value, there are no better picks than these 10 TVs at the moment!
Good luck with your new TV, and have fun watching your favorite movies or sports, or playing your favorite games on your brand new 40 inch TV!
- 7 Best Wireless Surround Sound Systems
- What Size TV Should You Buy?
- Top 10 Best 55-Inch TVs in 2020
- Top 10 Best 60-Inch TVs in 2020
- Top 10 Best 75-Inch TVs in 2020
- Which is the best 80 inch TV?
Last update on 2020-07-13 at 02:03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API